>youtube.com/watch?v=-6HOdHEeosc Brandon Sanderson

Technical Aspects of Writing
>Garner's Modern English Usage, Garner
>What Editors Do: The Art, Craft, and Business of Book Editing, Ginna
>Artful Sentences: Syntax as Style, Tufte

Books Analyzing Literature
>Poetics, Aristotle
>Hero With a Thousand Faces, Campbell
>The Art Of Dramatic Writing: Its Basis in the Creative Interpretation of Human Motives, Egri
>The Weekend Novelist, Ray

Traditional Publishing
>blog.reedsy.com/manuscript-form
>submittable.com/
>querytracker.net/
>manuscriptwishlist.com/

Self Publishing Options
>archiveofourown.org/
>kdp.amazon.com/en_US/
>kobo.com/us/en/p/writinglife
>royalroad.com/
>scribblehub.com/
>wattpad.com/

Self Publishing How-To
>selfpublishingwithdale.com/

Poetry
>This Craft of Verse, Borges
>The Poetry Home Repair Manual, Kooser
>Western Wind: An Introduction to Poetry, Mason

Anime Writing (^・o・^)
>youtube.com/watch?v=4on26mKakgs
>wikihow.com/Create-an-Anime-Story

/wg/ Authors and Flash Fiction Pastebin
>pastebin.com/ruwQj7xQ

Attached: d8t5b8k-2f7ddbd3-0b5f-4803-a2e0-3db806918472.jpg (1000x1000, 607.05K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scribblehub.com/read/436962-a-hero-among-monsters/chapter/482325/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i'm finally making it bros! just got 500+ views on my novel, i can feel the success!

Thread question:
Hard or soft taco? Give me at least 50 words why.

Chapter 10 went up today.
scribblehub.com/read/436962-a-hero-among-monsters/chapter/482325/

Attached: A Hero Among Monsters.png (627x1000, 738.5K)

Soft. Hard hurts my gums. That's all the words you need.

whats your valid read to views ratio? asking for a friend

0:0

Attached: Screenshot 2022-05-05 171621.jpg (1467x500, 63K)

lol on scribble hub, wattpadd is shit for discovery

Yeah but that one's funnier.

Attached: Screenshot 2022-05-05 171956.jpg (1101x800, 102.83K)

Awesome!

its a quantity game you change it to 3 times a week and you will start getting more and more views/valid reads

Attached: 1645396142210.png (817x411, 29.53K)

Do I have to include a million fucking qualifiers in every piece of feedback I give. Giving constructive suggestions to you morons is the most thankless task imaginable.

The Sanderson video is question is literally him giving general technical advice - theories he even says aren't his own invention. Yes Sanderson makes YA crap. He's also made millions as an author so just MAYBE he has a small scrap of insight that a new writer could find useful.

Yeah but I don’t write that fast.

i don't know, I treat web publishing as a way to work out what works in plot and structure not to blast my best stuff.
how much do you write a week? Or a day?

Attached: 1651782078232m.jpg (582x1024, 73.06K)

Yes user yes you do. People are thanking you, just not bothering to make a post stating so

Uoooooooooohhhhh!
Now this is a cartel member I can get behind!
I wish this señorita cut off my dick and calls, sliced by nose and ears, cut my fingers, blowtorched my face, cut out my heart, showed it to me and ate it.
Uoooooohhhhh!

Attached: 1628488620595.jpg (691x625, 235.74K)

>so just MAYBE he has a small scrap of insight that a new writer could find useful
Nah

Hard taco, the OG, the classic. You know what a soft taco is? A burrito. Now I've got nothing against burritos, I love me a stuffed burrito with rice and beans, shredded chicken or pork, sour cream, salsa and cheese. I love it. But we ain't here talking about burritos, burritos are a full meal, they ain't made for snacking. We're here talking about the originale, the classic hard taco: meat, veggies, some pico, a touch of sour cream, and that classic crunch. Get a couple different types of meat, a bunch of different veggies, some different salsas and then make yourself a whole assortment. Hard taco or soft taco, that ain't even a question. Hard taco. I ain't a faggot.

Although I prefer the flavor and the crunch of a hard taco, I appreciate the convenience and self-contained cleanliness of eating a soft taco. Often the choice is dictated by what I'm going to be doing after eating; if I'm socializing, I'll opt for the soft taco, if I'm at home, I choose the hard taco.

My story starts off with the protag running from a beastie with his teammates, the beastie ends up killing everyone but him and he survives by the skin of his teeth. In his culture death isn't seen as something to be grieved, but rather as a necessary 'final step' in everyone's journey. Question is, how do I convey that at the very start without jarring exposition, making the char look disconnected / emotionally dead or on the other extreme, melodramatic?

I’ve lost all motivation to write again.
Fuck.

I literally said sanderson understands the mechanical components very well and he explains it competently. I ain't sucking your dick any more than that.

>everyone running like scared little girls
>ackshully, death is a final step in everyone's journey and not to be feared
maybe don't have them run and have them fight to the death instead. make his survival due to pure luck - he was knocked unconscious and the beast ate 2 or 3 of the others - and he feels ASHAMED he didn't die in battle

I had a taco from a little shop in the shitty part of my city's downtown that showed me the light. The answer to the taco conundrum is this: it's both. Not both like you're gonna have two, but both like a taco that perfectly walks the line. Hard shell taco, soaked in sauce and oil. If it crunches, it's too hard. You want crispy. You want it to break with your bite with a nice fresh crack.

Write about your lack of motivation!
Oh, and lay off the bong and the fapping.

I only write well when I fap

this guy gets it

So, they're Klingons?

The hell is wrong with all of you making this binary choice. The true visionary constructs the double decker taco, wrapping a bean-filled soft tortilla around the hard corn shell to get both the delightful crunch and the soft chew. You gain the advantages of both tacos with the flaws of neither.

has anyone here posted on royalroad?
did you get worthwhile feedback?

nah no one has

yes
every now and then, more of an exception than the rule

It's insane how much I didn't ask.

I need a male’s perspective on the male protagonist for my short story. If a man went several billion years with no human companionship but finally found a human woman one day, would he try to rape her? Or would he respect her boundaries?

Depends on man, and the woman.
Personally I'd rape her.

A bilion years is far too long for any human to comprehend. People have trouble imagining what a thousand year life would feel like, much less a billion. In any case, depends on what kind of person he is I guess. Is he someone that would give in to primal instincts? Maybe he'd just be overjoyed to see and talk to another person?

Congrats frend!
Like that other user said, a billion years of far too long. Either way, he’d probably be afraid of her more than anything.

>several billion years w/o human contact
he'd be more beast than man. he'd be balls deep in that cunt in 0.2 seconds once his initial shock wore off.

He’s somewhere between feral and normal, with the loneliness and eternity driving him crazy but the aeons also giving him enough time to recover his sanity. He’s also stuck in his dick in a lot of non-human creatures because like I said no human companionship for ages.

>Personally I’d rape her
I’m scared but not surprised.

Attached: AB589B82-B8DF-4DD5-9A4C-0290900E7DFF.jpg (214x232, 26.74K)

Unless you're writing fantasy or isekai or litrpg you won't get any feedback

If you're going to respond to someone's story with

>muh passive voice
or
>muh semicolons

do all of us a favour and skip it. Go to your library and read more books for adults until you understand. Thank you.

Not that user, but his use of semicolons were fucking abysmal. You cannot misuse three semicolons over the course of two sentences and expect people not to notice.

I know it wasn't you, but then point out the correct usage, don't throw "don't use semicolons" like it's a universal rule or advice that should be listened to at all.

semi colons should be used sparingly. alter your sentence structure if you are using semi colons even semi regularly.

>semi colons should be used sparingly
Why, because they trigger you?
>alter your sentence structure if you are using periods even semi regularly
Do you realize how retarded you sound?

>He’s also stuck in his dick in a lot of non-human creatures
Go on.

There’s a certain point where the advice needs to be “Just stop”. If you’re critiquing someone who doesn’t know what a semicolon is, then you’ve probably reached that point.

I wasn't saying nobody on the wide earth should use semicolons. I was telling that user that he needed to dial it back until he had the basics down.

I assumed it was obvious in the context but apparently I must include 20 bullet points of context/qualifications for every damn comment I make in this hive of pedantry. For the record I actually agree that passive voice isn't an issue (Pullum bro here)

Agree with this. Semicolons have legitimate uses but so often they're a dead giveaway of a noob of psued who are thinking about how they're a writer as they write rather than being focused on craft.

Attached: Screenshot_20220505-220917_Brave.jpg (1080x510, 101.83K)

It's funny because I don't think YOU understand the usage of semicolons.
>Semicolons have legitimate uses
No shit, like connecting two independent clauses. Meaning every two sentences separated by a period can be separated by a semicolon instead. ALL OF THEM.

It's okay I have no clue how to use dashes.

Dr. Bucksneed is that you???

Please share a sample where all the sentences are seperated by semicolons so I can laugh at you.

The point of a semicolon over a period is that it allows you to imply a connection to the previous clause in much the same way a comma does.
>Many experiments beyond human comprehension were conducted here. Some still wander around.
Does not work as well as
>Many experiments beyond human comprehension were conducted here; some still wander around.

I think I've made my point that your wry comment about "legitimate uses" is completely unfounded by grammar and totally founded by your biases.

Zero grammatical basis for what you're saying. It does, at most, imply a shorter pause than a period but longer than a comma.

Completely incorrect.

Not an argument.

>In rare instances, when a comma replaces a period (full stop) in a quotation, or when a quotation otherwise links two independent sentences:
>"I have no use for this," he said; "you are welcome to it."
>"Is this your book?" she asked; "I found it on the floor."
Ooooooh. Stylistically, I like this very much.

lol

Anons, anons!
Can't you see that this semicolon debate...
...IS TEARING US APART!!! NOOO!!!1!

Attached: pepe-why.gif (220x220, 116.62K)

What makes these covers great?

Attached: 1_8x8DTM4ktw-eFLUTQ9yH0Q.jpg (1400x1050, 382.74K)

Oversaturated pastel colors? You got me.

just did my 2k and feel like I just took the most massive shit