Semicolon General

This thread is for posting semicolons written, presumably, by women

Attached: 1640297760086.png (629x177, 60.99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M94ii6MVilw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_punctuation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like collecting (and composing) sentences where subtle changes in punctuation change the meaning.

Here's an example of the latter where changing a comma to a semicolon more-or-less *reverses* the meaning:

Give me another drink; that tastes nice.
Give me another drink, that tastes nice.

Have any other anons got any cute examples of this sort of thing?

No more rape

semicolon is cringe, literally every semicolon used in the history of writing can be replaced by a comma or a period. Maybe there is a genius who used it in a different way but i know of none, if you know of any let me know.
Picrel is a guide of how to cringe

>Give me another drink; that tastes nice.
and "Give me another drink. That tastes nice." is exactly the same

Attached: Semicolon.jpg (741x6330, 795.92K)

It’s 100% not cringe it’s a useful tool. Read Moby Dick and stop being a faggot.

how does it feel to be filtered by punctuation?

>Read Moby Dick and stop being a faggot
okay i will. I said "Maybe there is a genius who used it in a different way but i know of none, if you know of any let me know."

>how does it feel to be filtered by punctuation?
i dont think filtered is the word but having a narrow conception, every sentence i've read using semicolon were using it superfluously

punctuationisformidwitslearntoreadunpunctuatedtextandsetyourselvesfree

Do you not give words you read internal audio and different feel based on punctuation? Yeh the period is technically the same meaning but it has a totally different inflection than with a semicolon. I just write how I want it to sound out loud so I often use semicolons to convey that half-pause and not a full stop like a period

Does Chinese have any?

>Semicolons are “idiocy,” Cormac McCarthy scoffed in a Vanity Fair interview.

>>Semicolons are “idiocy”, Cormac McCarthy scoffed in a Vanity Fair interview.
>>Semicolons are “idiocy”; Cormac McCarthy scoffed in a Vanity Fair interview.
>>Semicolons are “idiocy”. Cormac McCarthy scoffed in a Vanity Fair interview.
>>Semicolons are “idiocy”? Cormac McCarthy scoffed in a Vanity Fair interview.
>>Semicolons are “idiocy”! Cormac McCarthy scoffed in a Vanity Fair interview.

Semicolons are absolutely necessary in writing embedded lists, which is sometimes useful. But they're good stylistically under the right circumstances.

Stop being nice to blacks and women, stop supporting the simplification of the English language

Just to make sure I understand - in the example with the semicolon, it's the drink that the speaker currently has that's nice, whereas in the second sentence it's implied that the speaker wants a drink that tastes nice, as opposed to the current drink that doesn't.

Correct.

>Do you not give words you read internal audio and different feel based on punctuation?
yes but between comma, period and ellipsis, being the comma the shortest pause and the ellipsis the longest. The colon has, for me, the same pause length as the comma but it means something different: that you're going to explain something or that you are going to list some things. I've never used semicolon and I've rarely seen it, so it hasn't any meaning for me nor a different pause duration. I guess it depends the education one receives...

Attached: SemiColon.jpg (1200x1500, 31.06K)

Whoever was supposed to have taught you grammar failed you terribly.

Don’t set off restrictive clauses with commas

>Semicolons are absolutely necessary in writing embedded lists
that's true but, can you give an illustration of
>But they're good stylistically under the right circumstances.
?

You can tell a most stuff with a vocabulary of just 1000 words. Does that mean you shouldn't use more of them?

yes but at least i could understand him. Maybe he's written that quickly without paying attention to what he's typing

what is a restrictive clause?

Funny, I have the same conceptions of those 3 as you but also use a lot of hyphens and semicolons; the way I like to speak and write lends itself to the sort of semi-pause before including extraneous information or thoughts. Semicolons to me are a way of making a phrase carry less value than if I used a period before it. Making something it's own sentence lends too much credence

certainly no but different words have either a slightly differing nuance in its meaning or is used to avoid repetition. What does it add the usage of semicolon in the normal discourse? Obviously it can be used artistically but you can use any other symbol artistically.

Not the user you're talking to and I don't know about English, but that's actually a legit way to use a semicolon in German as long as you don't seperate a main clause and a subordinate clause with it.

beautiful, i love language games, thank you for this conversation. About your comment on your way of expressing yourself i want to say that human mind and its creativity are amazing. I mean the rules and the instruments are the same for all of us but every one of us use them differently based on what he's learned, his personality, etc. Delightful

Well, it can be helpful
1, from a formal logical point of view, to seperate logical entities from each other as in "Paris, France; London, England; Berlin, Germany" or
2, it can add another nuance to your repertory of expression

The failure is that he doesn't understand grammar at all, because he thinks punctuation is there to tell you when to breathe while speaking rather than a way to organize a sentence to convey information. He will likely never be able to write properly and is now doomed to be perceived as unintelligent or lower class for the rest of his life. The effort it would take him to learn grammar now, after having been taught wrong, is great and he's very unlikely to put in that effort since he's cleared the extremely low bar of "I kinda understand what he means".

He'd be just as intelligible if he removed all punctuation other than periods, because they don't actually mean anything to him anyways.

Attached: 1586644608834.png (1351x1054, 436.74K)

> Don't use them with conjunctions.
Except you can; and, in fact, most sentences which begin with a conjunction are best preceded by a semi-colon.

>Here is a lesson in creative writing. The first rule: do not use semicolons. Semicolons are transvestite hermaphrodites. All they do is show you've been to college.
Btw. I'm pretty sure this sentence would cause a little scandal nowadays...

1 meh you could say perfectly "Paris and France, London and England, Berlin and Germany", "Paris in France, London in England, Berlin in Germany", "Paris, France. London, England. Berlin, Germany", ect. depending on the context; but 2 is a good argument, style is the king of the writing art; so i applaud you for your comment

Semi-colon is the most aesthetic symbol we got. Don't take it from us.

When/where/why did people start confusing the semicolon and the colon? It's like confusing a comma with an apostrophe.

>The failure is that he doesn't understand grammar at all
kek I couldn't help but laugh, let's resumen the reading

wow the rest of the comment is pretty sad, i feel devastated now. But you are probably right, i wish he takes your words as wisdom instead of an attack and he tries to improve his grammar

Your second example is grammatically incorrect

Correct. Just use a period, comma, or a coordinating conjunction.

People often use it because they've been taught to avoid comma splices. However, there's nothing wrong with comma splices, so who cares?

As for other uses like embedded lists or whatever, just get a grip. You don't need to be doing that stuff. Restructure your whole shit and avoid this ugly mark.

don't count on it, that was probably made by a tranny. Btw nice usage of the ;

can you give us an (or several) example(s)?

'In the event that the Purchaser defaults in the payment of any instalment of purchase price, taxes, insurance, interest, or the annual charge described elsewhere herein, or shall default in the performance of any other obligations set forth in this Contract, the Seller may: at his option: (a) Declare immediately due and payable the entire unpaid balance of purchase price, with accrued interest, taxes, and annual charge, and demand full payment thereof, and enforce conveyance of the land by termination of the contract or according to the terms hereof, in which case the Purchaser shall also be liable to the Seller for reasonable attorney's fees for services rendered by any attorney on behalf of the Seller, or (b) sell said land and premises or any part thereof at public auction, in such manner, at such time and place, upon such terms and conditions, and upon such public notice as the Seller may deem best for the interest of all concerned, consisting of advertisement in a newspaper of general circulation in the county or city in which the security property is located at least once a week for Three (3) successive weeks or for such period as applicable law may require and, in case of default of any purchaser, to re-sell with such postponement of sale or resale and upon such public notice thereof as the Seller may determine, and upon compliance by the Purchaser with the terms of sale, and upon judicial approval as may be required by law, convey said land and premises in fee simple to and at the cost of the Purchaser, who shall not be liable to see to the application of the purchase money; and from the proceeds of the sale: First to pay all proper costs and charges, including but not limited to court costs, advertising expenses, auctioneer's allowance, the expenses, if any required to correct any irregularity in the title, premium for Seller's bond, auditor's fee, attorney's fee, and all other expenses of sale occurred in and about the protection and execution of this contract, and all moneys advanced for taxes, assessments, insurance, and with interest thereon as provided herein, and all taxes due upon said land and premises at time of sale, and to retain as compensation a commission of five percent (5%) on the amount of said sale or sales; SECOND, to pay the whole amount then remaining unpaid of the principal of said contract, and interest thereon to date of payment, whether the same shall be due or not, it being understood and agreed that upon such sale before maturity of the contract the balance thereof shall be immediately due and payable; THIRD, to pay liens of record against the security property according to their priority of lien and to the extent that funds remaining in the hands of the Seller are available; ...

>When/where/why did people start confusing the semicolon and the colon?
wtf who does that? honestly i dont know of any human being that retarded to confuse those two

and LAST, to pay the remainder of said proceeds, if any, to the vendor, his heirs, personals representatives, successors or assigns upon the delivery and surrender to the vendee of possession of the land and premises, less costs and excess of obtaining possession.'

what example is incorrect? you are alluding to two different people

youtube.com/watch?v=M94ii6MVilw

>"Everybody should be"
>unable to stick to 3rd person
>prepositions at the end of a sentence
>mixing up commas and semi-colons
>"won't be banned unless"
>ends paragraph with a cliche
Is this from a writing sub, OP?

Attached: 1646070244832.png (528x438, 235.94K)

>comma splices
wtf, i was oblivious of comma splices being a thing and, according to wikipedia, it is a beginner common mistake

Attached: CommaSplice.png (1121x113, 34.76K)

As often with grammar, one man's mistake is another's stylistic flair. There's no inherent problem with comma splices so long as they don't create ambiguity. They can be the most natural fit for the cadence the author intends.

nice to hear that, user

yeah they do
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_punctuation

Repeated splices like the example in the image can be a rhetorical trick, as well. Can't remember what it's called but it's in pic related.

My poor attempt:
>The sea boiled, the sky lit up, the earth quaked, lions roared, wolves howled, birds burst into song, and my heart pounded when you turned and smiled at me.

Attached: elements of eloquence forsyth.jpg (224x346, 15.47K)

i think he meant a relative clause

>My poor attempt
good enough, i got it

Bound relative clauses may or may not be restrictive

Which book has the most semicolons?

Attached: fountainhead semicolons.png (1175x189, 12.96K)

>by women
i hate political correctness, but this shit is just weak sauce.
who hurt you?

it worlks because the semi-colon indicates that what follows is a conceptual departure from what has come before.
OP was not taught this, I guess.
Many such cases.

Attached: Tomo Koizumi 3.jpg (1000x1500, 155.33K)

I don't use punctuation nonsensically and I've learned grammar rules but you have to be an absolute simpleton to think that slavishly following rules some cunt in academia came up with is better than using punctuation in the way the common man understands it - which is as a guideline for cadence, intonation, etc. I don't use it in such a way that rules are so contravened that it's unintelligible, but I stretch the rules wherever possible and use workarounds - like semicolons instead of periods when I feel a slightly shorter pause and less it ends intonation are required, or using hyphens instead of commas to convey slightly more separation. None of that is wrong, as far as I can tell.

>he thinks punctuation is there to tell you when to breathe while speaking rather than a way to organize a sentence to convey information.
Written language is a symbolic encoding of spoken language, which obviously has breath as a constraint. Most of the punctuation in written language has a direct relationship to pauses in the spoken language. There are only a small few punctuation marks that have no relationship to spoken sounds (e.g. contractive or possessive apostraphes) and they exist only to clarify ambiguities that arise in the written symbols.

The image in the OP was clearly written by one but it's a mistake to conflate their use with womanhood.

you're actually the dumb one in grammar ironically. he gave you the message which said bluntly let me paraphrase it "I am using this tool in grammar for what I know it to be as", yet throughout both of your comments you actually never even gave him a better reason to be doing what he is doing other than insulting him. hardy kek

>I don't use punctuation nonsensically
No, it's worse. You use punctuation according to a completely different system which is close enough that it's not immediately obvious to a reader. So instead of looking like you have no idea what you're doing, you look like you have the grasp of an idiot or ESL.
>None of that is wrong, as far as I can tell.
How could you tell? You're worse than entirely uneducated; you're wrongly educated. Whoever was supposed to have taught you grammar failed you terribly.

I see the midwit brigade is out in force today.

I know that none of these fools will use the tools I provided to educate themselves. Thus, having limited my expectations, my disappointment is also limited.

you get it user; its use is pure style

>I know that none of these fools will use the tools I provided to educate themselves. Thus, having limited my expectations, my disappointment is also limited.
Not an argument