/clg/ Classical Languages General

Leda edition

Previous: Mega: mega dot nz/folder/9o4QEIIK#P3piz8Bfw-z7jgb7Q8NWDg

A general dedicated to classical languages and literature.

Attached: Leda Cezannne.jpg (800x632, 115.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2IS9Ct4fm0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=PgCaiuEq6sQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

reviving the general thread so I can ask my noob question: when a noun declines the same in nom and acc, how do I know which it is??

eg: ;eripiunt subito nubes caelum diemque Treucrorum ex oculis

How do I know which case caelum is in??

Context

I'm not really sure how I'm meant to read through Familia Romana. Should I just go through it all, or should I be going back and re-reading chapters?

>How do I know which case caelum is in??
context

Do we know what the Greek and Latin words for tickling are? How?

Thoughts?

Attached: file.png (584x577, 249.11K)

Context, and it's not as bad as it sounds, consider that English and Latin's descedant languages like Italian don't even have cases and it doesn't impede understanding

Do any of you guys have grammar concepts that you keep on reviewing even when you're relatively comfortable with attic greek? Or, alternatively, what are the essential grammar concepts that should be drilled into one's head? Any help appreciated.

The caelum there does not have any possible function other than accusative because the eripiunt is plural, likewise the -que suffix is often used to communicate that the verb takes multiple objects

When it is entirely ambiguous I would say that the author, unless they like being fashionably puzzling in their manner of speech, will place the intended subject closer to its verb in the line and will place the object further apart. Perhaps those 'rules' might help you, but it's really something you get a sense for through more input because it's more style than grammatical technicality
Context will help you to confirm all this too

What does superiorem generis mean?

It's written in Latin I can't read that

Meam mentulam titilas.

How do you guys get the most out of reading Wheelock's? what do you do for the Sententiae Antiquae?

Could you post the entire sentence?

should I read anything before starting LLPSI?

Ecce Romani is a possible alternative if you don't like LLPSI

bad idea

what's you favourite word in the language you are learning?
mine is ἐλαία

Attached: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f455659786148592e6a7067.jpg (400x387, 74.44K)

There's tons of YouTube videos that I would watch after reading each chapter. I would also write out exercises by hand. There's a small reader called 38 Latin stories that has a page of reading for each chapter. You can pick up extra words and test your reading on something that is written for your level.

I would read at least 5 chapters of Wheelock's Latin.

Even better would be to go up to chapter 15 which is like 1 semester in a lot of high schools. You can do that in 30 days easy. Just to learn the basic main paradigms and all the pronouns and a small base vocabulary.

LLPSI teaches way too many words per chapter - an average of 52 words per chapter. That's 1,800 words over 34 chapters. Getting a small vocabulary and a basic understanding of the inflection in Wheelock first will help you move through the early chapters of LLPSI easier. You will hit a wall around 8-13 of Orberg, so just beware.

I think Cambridge is a better alternative to LLPSI than Ecce Romani. Anyways I think the guy was asking for something to read before Orberb, not instead of Orberg.

is the English language companion to Familia Romana a good way to really learn the grammar alongside it?

No.

>You will hit a wall around 8-13 of Orberg

I'm on chapter 18 and didn't really have that experience with those chapters. I think part of the problem is people only read through the main textbook while not doing the workbook or reading any of the accompanying texts. Doing all the extra stuff has slowed me down a lot, but the upshot is that I feel like I'm comfortable with the content before moving on.

Would it be better to memorize entire declension/conjugation tables, or to just memorize pairs of inflected forms together with their base forms?

tfw you realize Latin grammar is actually more difficult than Japanese

If you are
√ a brainlet
√ too stubborn to buy a real grammar primer
√ willing to pay $30+

If you have some kind of emotional rent free aversion to Wheelock, then get Moreland and Flescher's Latin: An Intensive Course. Be warned it's harder than Wheelock.

Wheelock was designed to be slow enough that an 11 year old could read it over 3 semesters, but all encompassing enough for an adult to self study at least as an introduction to Latin.

I am guilty of skipping the exercises

An exercise for /clg/
Something different. This is an excerpt from the Carmina Burana, two verses from 196, in Medieval Latin. Post your translations and compare with others.
A simple yet fun drinking poem. The excerpt is 2/7 verses, if interested will post them all.

Attached: burana 196 - X.png (245x422, 13.6K)

Hehe bibit nigger

does anyone in this general ever actually study languages?

I do Latin on Duolingo :)

I've been learning Latin for about a year. Would it be a horrible decision to start learning Ancient Greek alongside Latin? When do I know to start learning another language?

I watch a few Bald Man videos every once in a while.

Just start doing it, I began studying Latin 6-7 months after I began with Greek

Does anyone think in Latin?

Attached: 1630791384679.png (543x310, 339.03K)

i just like saying it :3

Attached: mfkAt.png (1329x166, 85.15K)

keep reading as long as you can understand it at least roughly, when you're lost start rereading

If I force myself to I can. It's kinda tiring tho. There are times that I'll respond in my mind to something in Latin instead of English. Some Latin words fit better in certain situations desu
Nesciō sounds better in my head than saying I don't know.

>"start learning Greek haha what could possibly go wrong I'm still gonna be practicing Latin master race haha SQPR!!!"
>tfw neglecting Latin practice
>tfw spend most of my time learning Greek
Quiritianbros...the sons of Athena did it again....προσκυνῶ....

Attached: 1646785453063.png (591x767, 52.59K)

I'm halfway through a 4 semester course at uni

I'm a PhD student in Classics

you made the right choice
youtube.com/watch?v=2IS9Ct4fm0Q

trying to sell latin to people is cringe. The only people who actually benefit from it are the ones that know its importance in the first place

use the 7-step ranieri method

I'm fluent in Japanese and half-way through LLPSI.

>You will hit a wall around 8-13 of Orberg, so just beware.
I didn't notice a wall, didn't look at Wheelock's and skipped all the exercises
Though I am reading every chapter around five times and I'm making Anki cards from sentences with "new concepts" It's smooth sailing, honestly

i had a professor who had Smyth numbers memorized for certain obscure uses of genetives
for me, uses of optatives and the matrix of conditions are typically things i end up reviewing, esp with something like plato who loves using both of those (esp mixed conditionals)

βυμπίσας ζῆσον

Attached: 1619857306731.png (696x1136, 172.81K)

where do I start with Greek bros?

does anybody have a Greek grammar/teaching book that's written in Latin? I've seen it somewhere but I can't find it.

>Pansophiae finis est habere scientiam universalem in minuendis rebus ad nucleum eorum. Deinde, necesse est removere id quod superfluum est et discernere inter omnia nexuum. Postremo, debes mittere omnia in suo loco iusto.
Please correct my errors. I have started to take notes in Latin in order to practice it actively and do not wish to repeat barbarisms in subsequent ones.

Do any of you guys try to write your own philosophy or poetry from what you learn? Arguably some of the greatest minds in the modern period were inspired by classical languages and literature.

I couldn't write poetry in my native language let alone in Greek or Latin. In the future though I wish to make 5 hour lectures on youtube about Proclus in Latin.

mmh sounds kinda modern, not wrong per se, just not very classical, especially the use of debeo in this sense
if I understand the message correctly, maybe consider just as example:
>Pansophiae finis est scientiam aquirere universalem ad omnia suismet principiis/fundamentis explicanda. Deinde, necesse est removere superfluum et discernere inter omnia nexum. Postremo, ordinanda sunt omnia per ordinem proprium.

I believe you, but most people do struggle in those chapters.

>tfw your latin clearance isn't high enough

Attached: bbbw.png (478x196, 80.09K)

The crossover that literally nobody asked for
youtube.com/watch?v=PgCaiuEq6sQ

Attached: okbutwhy.png (687x381, 555.61K)

>Qui habet sponsam, sponsus est: amicus autem sponsi, qui stat, et audit eum, gaudio gaudet propter vocem sponsi. Hoc ergo gaudium meum impletum est.
>gaudio gaudet propter vocem sponsi
What is that? With joy he rejoiced due to the bridegrooms voice? I don't know the Greek text, is it just weird biblical style like "clamat dicens"?
for reference the greek verse:
>ὁ ἔχων τὴν νύμφην νυμφίος ἐστίν ὁ δὲ φίλος τοῦ νυμφίου ὁ ἑστηκὼς καὶ ἀκούων αὐτοῦ χαρᾷ χαίρει διὰ τὴν φωνὴν τοῦ νυμφίου αὕτη οὖν ἡ χαρὰ ἡ ἐμὴ πεπλήρωται
(Ioannes 3:29)

that's what it reminds me as well, my favorite in the OT is "morte morietur", IIRC it is a weird quirk from the direct translation from ancient hebrew, and the idea is that it intensifies the meaning, so it probably means something like "he will greatly rejoice"
it's the same thing in the greek test and it works similarly to latin

oh, I see, do you know how exactly it works in Greek? As they don't have the ablative case

for the instrumental use of the latin ablative i.e "by means of" greek uses the dative in an equivalent way i.e χαρᾷ(dative instrumental) χαίρει