Apathy in the Youth

I am a middle school English teacher in a small midwestern town. I think it goes without saying that my students don't care about Shakespeare or Homer, and this doesn't surprise me in the least, but what I find weird is that these kids don't seem to care about anything whatsoever. I try and get their interest by referencing things like sports and contemporary music and they have no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe they simply aren't comfortable talking about their interests to a teacher but they genuinely seem so ignorant not only of literature and history but of modern day current events. I know literature isn't interesting to everyone but you'd think they would be interested in SOMETHING. Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Attached: on-the-magical-english-teacher-in-life-and-literature-1441303715.jpg (3000x2017, 843.07K)

>my students don't care about Shakespeare or Homer,
No one here cares about them either.

>I try and get their interest by referencing things like sports and contemporary music and they have no idea what I'm talking about.
Could you give an example? Also I hope you're aware your students are just reading the sparknotes of the books you assign.

They are interested in Tiktok and Youtube streamers, gender identity and self-diagnosed mental illness, social media and consoomption. Most of them are heavily medicated. An entire generation raised on social media, more propagandized and atomized than any before.
You have a front-row seat to the fall of an empire, good luck.

>inb4 another 300 reply thread trying to fix a system that can only be fixed by getting rid of the humans in the equation
No but in reality its because most of them spend their free time disconnecting their brain from reality through algorithms that have long ago conquered human synapses. At most some will say music or any other hobby that disinclines engagement.

Young user here, what music do you mention? Also i dont think kids like sports that much anymore desu

Again, that's not the point. My students don't seem to care about music, art, politics, sports or anything else other than TV and videogames. They don't know who Bill Clinton or Elvis or Sean Connery are. They don't know anything about Greece or Japan or New York or anywhere that isn't the midwest or Florida. It is so weird. I am not expecting middle school kids to be Blaise Pascals but these kids seem far dumber than my siblings and I were when we were their age.

Kanye and Taylor Swift.

Our best days as a nation are behind us. Soon we'll experience a correction.

What do I mean by correction?

Most people already can't move out of their parents' house. Soon a good part of the population will be raising children in their parents' home. This means kids are going to be raised in the same home as their grandparents.

All that money and playtime boomers had is over. The return of the extended family is inevitable.

Good luck playing Fortnite when granny wants to read you Harry Potter.

But we'll be really fucking old when that happens. Poor too.

I'm trying to get a house but everything I try to get gets bought up by boomers.

>small midwestern town
>don't know anything but the midwest
This is just heartland mentality. I guarantee you their parents, grandparents, and so on were the same. They'll grow up, get married, have kids, and settle in the same town they're in now. This is unironically why "misinformation" is such a problem. This is like 60% of the US and these people are suddenly supposed to have opinions on culture, medicine, science, telecommunications, etc. because the media brought the whole world to their doorstep.

I love kanye but he is, as people say, "problematic" maybe that's why they dont like him, taylor is good tho. Maybe your students like some Netflix show that you could use to get them into books with related themes. Maybe try to make the books seem more "woke" if your class is leftist. Speak of feminism or legbutt stuff. From what i can tell the tik tok book scene loves that so it could work.

It's middle school, guys are too busy looking online why their ball hairs haven't grown out yet.

I'm a highschool teacher and I feel the same way.
My students are almost adults as far as the law is concerned, and many of them lack basic knowledge about human history and civilization.
Great titans of history that defined entire eras like Julius Caesar, Napoleon, Queen Victoria and FDR are unknowns in my classroom or are thought to be fictional. In my cohort of around 60 students, many of them thought Julius Caesar and the events in the Shakespeare play were simply made up by Shakespeare.
I know every generation likes to complain about the succeeding ones, but I am genuinely worried about the zoomers.

Ty for the blackpills. Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on us.

Yeah you’re at least a decade behind, try mentioning which ever lil’ mumble rapper is relevant. Another fall back is appeal to their egos or their sense of self, a few should at least pipe up

Read gender matters by Leonard sax and stolen focus by Johann hari

It's basically impossible for a modern westerner to feel happiness. The computer means the children are ultimately raised in a manner that is psychologically akin to shooting up heroin all day. Pleasure on demand, without any sort of contingency that they work to attain the pleasure.

You're basically asking "Why don't the heroin addicts care? Why don't they have interests? Why don't they desire a future? Why don't they want to be successful?"

Well, champ, they have heroin. Heroin ruthlessly removes the desire for anything other than heroin. Just because they're shooting up electric heroin doesn't change the fact that you should expect the children to be psychologically and behaviorally identical to heroin addicts.

Attached: PsychologicalRelativityOfHappiness.jpg (4000x3612, 1.94M)

Really we're sliding back into feudalism which is frankly appropriate. Centuries of evolutionary pressure on nobility and peasants isn't easily erased by giving people rights and equality beyond the stature of their souls.

Soon we'll have inheritable jobs, just like we have inheritable education opportunities (legacy applicants to ivy leagues feeding into the upper levels of government and corporate bureaucracies).

Absolutely, how crazy is it that all these midwesterners think Biden has full on dimentia?

>teacher
It's your fault.

> many of them lack basic knowledge about human history and civilization.
Great titans of history that defined entire eras like Julius Caesar, Napoleon, Queen Victoria and FDR are unknowns in my classroom or are thought to be fictional. In my cohort of around 60 students, many of them thought Julius Caesar and the events in the Shakespeare play were simply made up by Shakespeare.

Is it their fault they don’t know these things? When the sports team is doing bad they fire the coach not the players.

This. If you only knew how bad things really are...

Yeah I agree with this

talk about videos games and tv shiiiit.
be like othelo was a black dude and all the black student would be like aww sheieiii n**ga

Episode 6 of My So-Called Life. Watch it. Notice how he kills the uv's and turns on a bunch of lamps instead

Attached: Screen_Shot_2016-04-29_at_2.37.57_PM.jpg (600x305, 17.33K)

I am trying to become an art teacher, and just did student teaching. Some students seem to care for grades and to appease their annoying parents. Others seems to be involved and like to get attention. But a strong portion of the students just scroll tiktok for the whole class doing absolutely nothing. I think smartphones are just incredibly addictive and they see no reason to do anything else because school is so gamified. I'm not going to Harvard = scroll tiktok all class for a C. That being said, it's not my fault since I just got started, it's definetly the spineless admin not willing to let kids fail classes for doing nothing, and parents who defend their child when someone outside their family bubble tells them their kid sucks

Comfy blackpill thread.

Attached: 32875225-F888-4A7A-A435-E2D8493C1B61.jpg (952x1024, 135.57K)

I've noticed people tend think more highly of their young selves than is warranted. People seem to forget how they too were once dumb, ignorant, or interesting in trivial things. Maybe thats just how kids always have been.

If the teacher sees your phone it gets taken away, to be given back at the end of class.
You're an authority figure; act like it.

Lmao they were popular when I was in middle school. You're way behind bro.

My brother in Christ, these are 12 year olds you're talking about. What the fuck do you expect? I'd be considered about the kids who follow politics and watch far outdated movies.

Kids don't like donda? What do they listen to? Am i old now wtf?

>sees your phone it gets taken away, to be given back at the end of class.
No balls. Mail it to the address on file for the student.
t. veteran phone confiscator, though not in education

The Zoomers are the first generation in the last 50 years who significantly regressed.
My school board is actually really panicking about it now, to make things worse we also have a significant teacher shortage that is only going to get worse.
The school I work for has kept meticulous undoctored records of test scores, truancy rates, graduation rates, literacy rates, disciplinary rates since the mid 1970s. We are one of the few schools to do this and the district has recently taken an interest in the information we have.
There is a very notable decline across all statistical categories among students born after 1997. It was implied to us that this was a trend that is present across all schools in the district, but most schools do not have the records to back up their observations.
From 1975 - 2014 the senior classes had roughly the same distribution of A, B, C,D and F students. Some years were overachievers and produced more A and B students than other years.
Off the top of my head the classes of 1976, 1981, 1988, 1991, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2007 and 2013 (born 1995) produced significantly more A and B students than usual.
Since 2013, the percentage of A and B students has declined every year, and the percentage of D and F students has increased sharply. This became much worse during the pandemic. Even though teachers were forced to pass everyone nearly 50% of the students in the classes of 2021 and 2022 would have gotten a D or an F. In 2016-2019 this was "only" around 20-25% while 2013 it was fucking 3%.
Also that 9 year gap from 2013-today is the biggest gap between overachieving graduating classes, and it's really unlikely 2023 is going to break this trend.
The literacy rates among the student population have also declined significantly, and we have a number of seniors who read at an elementary school level. As a result English and Social Studies teachers are being forced to assign materials that are more appropriate for younger students (stuff like Hatchet or a Tale of Two Cities).
The school went from having almost the entire graduating class typing at over 80 WPM in 2013 while now less than 10% of the student body can type that fast. Before teachers used to give students essay tests on locked down laptops, but because of poor typing skills many teachers have gone back to pencil and paper testing.
Teachers in 2013 could go the entire year without sending a student to the office for behavioral issues, but now teachers are lucky if they can go even a single week without sending a student to the office.
In this school a "valedictorian" was anyone who graduated with at least a 90% average. Previously in any given year we could expect around 6-10 of them, our last standout year, 2013, produced 22 valedictorians.
2022 will produce none, 2021 only produced two.

Meant to say concerned about the kids. This is what I get for phoneposting
I have no idea who donda is. I also have no fucking idea what kids listen to these days. Yes, we are old.

Colleges and technical schools have noticed the drop in quality of their new students and they have complained to a lot of people which is why this is getting reviewed. Admin for a long time was content to brush this issue under the rug but now it's about to explode in their faces.
Colleges are saying they may have to offer 5 year degrees instead of 4 because graduating high school students are missing so much pre-requisite information.
I know highschool level math is one of the most popular courses at the local college now.

>Also that 9 year gap from 2013-today
>2013 was 9 years ago
MAKE IT STOP

Attached: 446kib808x805pinkwojakpinkwojak11563399719gpwceuuqx1.png (840x859, 629.12K)

Well-said.

Psyche would be more appropriate than soul. Unless you mean soul in a very old fashioned sense.

I was researching back in 2017 and found that more than half of students in the California State University system take more than 4 years to graduate anyway. Bachelors degrees are not 4 year degrees anymore and havent been for quite a while.

2007 would line up with the spread of internet enabled phones, which as posted above are like crack for dopamine receptors. I'm happy to see that there's still capacity for panic in at least one corner of the education system, however. I assumed that it was all mindless tax leeches just waiting to be eligible for a pension.

Certainly I don't mean it so much in a theological sense. But it seems undeniable to me that some people are born peasants and will never rise above that level on their own efforts, and if placed above that level will race as quickly as they can back down; and some people are born noble and even when pushed beneath that level, will work and rise above. A dozen or so centuries (at most 30) really isn't enough for speciation but I'd say it's certainly enough to see lingering effects in a population. I suspect that's where the political authoritarian-libertarian split comes from. It's the presentation of a noble-peasant phenotype within a liberal democratic environment.

>What do I mean by correction?
Rhetorical question, immediately stopped reading and left the thread right there. And nice Reddit spacing too nerd.

Students are definitely dumber and failing more often, leading to longer than necessary degree times, but there's also an absurd amount of bloat with garbage general education requirements that unduly burden some majors more than others, forcing you to take an extra quarter or summer school courses if you don't want to end up taking 19 units per quarter.

Yea Forums - Literature

>videogames
What videogames? They probably have trash taste in those too.

I think theres also a serious lack of motivation. University was just about the biggest disappointment of my life. I was paying a ton of money to take the most retarded classes for a degree that would not employ me. It was extremely demoralizing. I remember everyone telling me to just "play the game." That was even worse. A lot of young people, guys especially, just dont care to play the game. So I dont think people dumbing down is the only reason for the decline in education. It's also people realizing it's all bullshit and choosing to disengage.

Is it okay if I roleplay as your student over email? I want to revisit Shakespeare and Homer and write essays on them which you can grade.

The point is my life has more value than zoomer trash, and people should help me out more. A single moment from me is worth a lifetime of pain from all of the students in OP's class.

>A single moment from me
A single moment of distress from me*
Even aristocrats like me make typos.

The ones interested in history probably just don't want to get too much attention. Us zoomers are interesting in the sense that we're either completely apathetic, or utterly obsessed with politics and history. I would guess that roughly 30 % of them are super into Roman history. You just hear the most apathetic ones the most.

>Us zoomers are interesting in the sense that we're
not sentient beings*
Sorry for typo. As a zoomer, I have no qualia.

My family works in entertainment so I'd be happy with this.

Entertainment is so nepotistic you're basically 90% of the way there. I can't even imagine what could stop you if you're even remotely interested.

Why is any of this a problem exactly? They are all likely poor and will continue to work in jobs where poor people are needed and they will procreate as is required. All this talk about culture, art, politics and science has no use to these people or a majority of people.

Not being trans.

Are you sure that you aren't reading too much into how the lockdowns have affected learning? How was year 2019?

Seething. Who do you think is watching dovahatty videos and shitposting about ea-nasir?

There is no culture anymore, we live in post-culture. All media has to be made for women and niggers, therefore nobody cares about it. Nobody can tell you what music is popular because nobody listens to popular music and it’s all astroturfed online with fake numbers, this is proven fact. The social contract has been broken—there’s no future or investment in children, we don’t give them homes or jobs or even good movies or books. There’s nothing, therefore what you’re seeing is a reflection of that. I know it sounds dramatic but seriously, what reason do they have to be excited? Anything that could be interesting is censored, they’ve grown up their entire lives with zero intellectual challenge.

Mass genocide.

>Why is any of this a problem exactly?
The neoliberal project is the elevation of peasants to the level of nobility by the expenditure of public funds. Some of them are utopists, some of them are communists, all of them are fools.

You can get some idea of their mindset by reading The Managerial State. A most prescient work.

Attached: Pol_Pot.jpg (951x1200, 23.4K)

Attached: 1628807701003.jpg (500x500, 51.99K)

There is a quick fix to that

Kanye West is very popular with high schoolers these days, and donda was relevant when it was released, however it doesnt have enough bass or cuss words to still be relevant right now. Swift is kind of irrelevant but people still joke about being swifties and whatnot. Ignore the retards trying to shit on you, you are doing a great deed trying to save this coming generation :)

That's the wages of being Bri'ish

Pop music has always been trash, but now it's getting to a critical degree. I aactually wonder do any zoomies listen to the garbage that is now supposedly popular.