What are some great biographies?

What are some great biographies?

Attached: 41MGNbpIaGL.jpg (328x500, 31.94K)

One of the best ones ever written, and its on a really interesting character

Attached: frederick-second-1194-1250-ernst_1_f0117806d38dd5823d34ddbdbf2b009b.jpg (1440x1080, 233.52K)

I need to get that

Attached: A1dG-NrmnUL.jpg (1572x2406, 1.13M)

his one on Alexander is great too

Attached: 7841459.jpg (318x459, 27.03K)

The biography of Kantorowicz that got released a few years ago is also fun, interesting fellow
His philosophy on politics and myths getting intertwined perfectly with the rise of Hitler make his writings look like straight-up prophecies, and it gets even weirder looking that he was a german-nationalist polish jew that fought with the kemalists during ww1, a member of the secret society that wanted to prepare germany for a new almost messianic ruler (and later on went to plot to assassinate that ruler), became best selling author in nazi germany, escaped to the US with the help of the SS, and ended up as one of main inspiration for Faucault
Reading his other book, Kings Two Bodies, is a task on itself, it mixes Shakespear and Dante to explain how the ideas of kings and kingdoms functioned and evolved into modern states

Adrian Goldsworthy has several great ones. His Agustus book is fantastic and his Julius book is far denser than Freeman. Freeman's is still good however

Attached: 71JxfMq9BoL.jpg (780x1174, 148.71K)

oh great, a virgin thread

Attached: 1636423784064.jpg (347x500, 43.29K)

but Julius Caesar fucked

He fucked so we don’t have to.

All of Andrew Roberts books are kino and I’ll repeat what user said and recommend all of Adrian goldsworthy work as well

Attached: A4EA5172-BA12-4462-B0BF-BA4953430A96.jpg (1125x1689, 2.51M)

Plutarch's Lives

Reading this now and it's great

big time this, great book, Joans an exceptional historical figure

Attached: joan 2.jpg (834x643, 138.49K)

This one is really good

Attached: 825231.jpg (301x450, 58.65K)

picked up

You guys are obsessed with blood and conquest

Attached: FB63D2B9-3842-4C71-913F-951C0A395AFF.jpg (314x475, 44.85K)

The "Prophet Armed" trilogy by Isaac Deutscher, about the life of Trotsky.

Feel free to post more moden bios

C.S. Lewis, “Surprised by Joy”
Everyone who describes it as a “conversion story” is outing themselves as an absolute pseud, Theism doesn’t even show up until the penultimate chapter, and Christianity gets mentioned in maybe two paragraphs in the final chapter. It’s about a man’s quest to understand the feelings of happiness he could never recapture from his boyhood memories, and it’s beautiful.

Nice i'll give it a look

Best biography I've ever read.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (1400x2124, 847.29K)

Sports are boring though

Then read about My Chem instead.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (333x500, 46.53K)

now thats a true literary classic

tragic as well

Do I need to read this before War and Peace?

Attached: 81KHORjkjQL.jpg (1500x2461, 526.64K)

A great book about Washington

Attached: A1pkWmmo-9L.jpg (1661x2560, 1.01M)

*yawn* don't care about ameriods

My upcoming biography of Norm Macdonald.

Loved this, any recommendation for next AR book?

GW was a great man

Attached: dr-johnson-01.jpg (1200x900, 201.09K)

another good one by Freeman

Attached: hannibal-9781643138718_hr.jpg (1400x2100, 451.4K)

can't wait

His latest, last king of America: story of George the third, was genuinely a fresh delight, had no clue about the man before except kingman le BAD due to my American heritage.

>No one has posted The Power Broker yet

Attached: powerbroker.jpg (328x499, 36.52K)

Any good Ataturk ones?

Edmund Morris' trilogy on Theodore Roosevelt was excellent.
Does anyone have any recommendations on good FDR biographies?

Attached: roosevelt.jpg (624x439, 82.94K)

Reading this one right now. It's pretty good, especially in the original german. And yes, Golo is the son of Thomas

Attached: Screenshot_20220502-224602_eBay~2.jpg (1080x1608, 216.15K)

Attached: sj.jpg (1842x2560, 1.56M)

It's a shame how every other nation has become irrelevant. WW1 was a mistake

>Where Hegel and Hip Hop Collide

Attached: Guwop.jpg (1000x1523, 96.28K)

The Bruce trilogy and the Wallace. Also suggest Roy Roy and Black Douglas, all Nigel’s books are great. One of my favourite authors.

Attached: 84BB276B-1D14-4B0D-9258-2B9E45AABCD9.jpg (500x373, 44.08K)

Napoleon the great
Robert Andrews

Came here to post these. Both Goldsworthy biographies also have phenomenal audiobooks.

I almost feel like writing a biography of Julius Caesar or of Augustus is cheating in a great biographies thread, because their lives are so baller that they could be fiction.

It’s not for nothing though that England itself keeps a statue of Washington on its own soil, and that George III himself was a fan of the other George—Washington for the majority of his life was a British citizen, and in some ways he almost carries the British character of self-effacement and dogged determination to its very end. I will go so far to say that possibly no other peoples on Earth at that time would have had the combination of character and a certain eye to historical impact and image of the magnanimous act of refusing to become king after a successful rebellion than in the English

Salisbury: Victorian Titan is a great political biography.

Ich liebe dieses Buch! Ein Meisterwerk

Might read the biography to support my new stance that George W was a pussy for not becoming king and it would have been way cooler if he did

Greatest biography ever written.

Attached: history of the frederick II of prussia books.jpg (640x499, 68.35K)

That's a lot for one person

He spent the entire 1850's writing it.

That's amazing

Because of his preoccupation while writing it his wife was overworked and it probably led to her death in 1866.

>Carlyle struggled to write the book, calling it his "Thirteen Years War" with Frederick. Some of the nicknames he came up with for the work included "the Nightmare," "the Minotaur," and "the Unutterable book". In 1852, he made his first trip to Germany to gather material, visiting the scenes of Frederick's battles and noting their topography. He made another trip to Germany to study battlefields in 1858. The work comprised six volumes; the first two volumes appeared in 1858, the third in 1862, the fourth in 1864 and the last two in 1865. Emerson considered it "Infinitely the wittiest book that was ever written." James Russell Lowell pointed out some faults, but wrote: "The figures of most historians seem like dolls stuffed with bran, whose whole substance runs out through any hole that criticism may tear in them; but Carlyle's are so real in comparison, that, if you prick them, they bleed." The work was studied as a textbook in the military academies of Germany.

Incredible. I really want this now

I might be the target audience for this beast, can I buy it anywhere?
Also why is it titled "called the Great," does he not think he was great? After writing all those books and killing his wife over it?

>can I buy it anywhere?
It hasn't received the same scholarly attention as his French Revolution, I think it's only still printed in his collected works.

'The Great' isn't an official title. Carlyle probably thought it was endearing that men thought to add that title themselves.

Nice, I would rather read a book about someone the author really liked than a tear down type of thing
Your reading of the title is, in my opinion, cute and I like it. Will try to get my hands on a used copy

His Churchill bio is his best. You can just tell he was waiting his entire life to write it.