Best nordic classics?

i've read a lot of the greeks and romans but i realized that i need to read some nordic classics. im tired of greek/roman decadence. as a nordic i feel that i need to learn more about norse myths, legends and philosophy

Attached: norse mythology-min.jpg (1920x1080, 104.45K)

Vikings didnt write.

Medieval scandi literature nearly sums up to Snorri works, so go for it.

The Hávamál is usually the first recommendation to this question. Havent read it myself but maybe stop there. Or just ask Jackson Crawford out to coffee some time

The eddas and sagas.
That's literally it, after these works there's a massive gap with no notable authors until you get to the 1800s.

Egil's saga, Hervarar saga and Grettir's saga are pretty nice

I’m warning you. It’s not good for the health.

Attached: 0564A9B6-A1A3-4CDD-B0EE-E6D2D4FC1CA9.jpg (739x415, 31.33K)

Just bought pic related yesterday. I've been looking for it for a while and got lucky. Have other titles on the waiting list like Havamal, Saga of the Volsungs etc. Will wait for a price drop though, they are quite expensive at the moment.

Attached: edda.jpg (1715x2961, 1.43M)

Metal as fuck.

The eddas and sagas are literally the closest, and only, thing you can get. And even those are largely christianized versions written hundreds of years after the viking age ended. As others have said, the Vikings didn't write shit down. We are fairly certain we don't even know every major god of their religion.

>they are passed down from...

Sure.

Underage

The Poetic Edda is a solid choice: you get the saga of the Volsungs in there, which is what became the Nibelungenlied which inspired Wagner's Ring cycle. The Hávamál will teach you the values your ancestors lived by. Jackson Crawford's translation is very readable and I've also tried Hollander's which is more poetic.

As for other sagas, Njal's is pretty good. Heimskringla is entertaining.

there is only Snorri
and luckily, Snorri is all you need

>there is only Snorri
If you're ignoring like a hundred other authors, sure.

Anyways, for Poetic Edda translations (the Poetiuc Edda and the Prose Edda are two separate texts) I recommend Larrington's and Hildebrand's. You can get both on libgen. It's useful to have both for reference because some of the translations of these kennings can be inscrutable (like the bit in Havamal where Odin talks about the hams in the window). Also, and this is important, they don't censor anything.

this

Based fellow Romanian. Where did you get it from?

>norse myths, legends
Mostly either simple folk tales or descriptions of people travelling around and feasting described in very terse language.
>philosophy
lol

this isn't true at all. their traditions didn't end there. there's literature in much the same style.

>>they are passed down from...
>Sure.
Writing is degenerate compared to oral tradition anyway. It's just more convenient and allows uniform mass media. And they were. They contain historical details they can't be known otherwise.

I nearly bought the saga of Harald Hardrarda but it was super overpriced so I didn't.

here you go if you are an america larping as a nord this is kinda cringe
The Story of the Banded Men
The Story of Burnt Njal
Egil's Saga
The Saga of Erik the Red
The Saga of the Ere-Dwellers
The Saga of Thrond of Gate
The Saga of Gisli the Outlaw
Grettir's Saga
The Saga of Gunnlaug the Worm-Tongue and Rafn the Skald
The Story of Hen-Thorir
The Story of Howard the Halt
The Saga of the Heath Slayings
The Story of Hrafnkell, Frey's Priest
The Saga of Cormac the Skald
The Laxdale Saga
The Story of Thórðr Hreða
The Saga of Viga-Glum
The Saga of Viglund the Fair
English v.2
The Story of the Confederates
Grettir's Saga
Hænsa-Thori's Saga
The Story of the Laxdalers

> descriptions of people travelling around and feasting described in very terse language
This is the Odyssey

Why only Icelandic sagas? Are the kings' sagas and fornaldarsagas not as good literarily?

you know americans can be nordic right?

Even more terse than that, we didn't discover metaphor or barely even simile until the 17th century, nor are most texts in verse.

I thought kennings were basically metaphors?

Not quite, it's a lot less creative as they're more like substitutions with a fixed meaning. Besides, the vast majority of norse literature does not use skaldic devices.

t. pic related

Attached: 572f82287ba60.image.jpg (791x500, 78.55K)

>written hundreds of years after the viking age ended.
Saxon Grammaticus was writing before it started.

Who the fuck is that?

No

>germanics dont have metaphor
>doesnt know who saxo grammaticus is
these are the people who want to tut tut you for thinking vikings are cool lmfao

very funny SIR

Saxo lived in the 12th century, wrote in Latin and had a classical education, you fucking retard.

False.

I would also like to know, it would make a great gift for my cousin who's super into this stuff

found it at a local bookstore, the publisher Herald sells it, ~35 lei

>Hervarar saga
if you read it in English I can recommend the Christopher Tolkien translation (The Saga of King Heidrek the Wise), it does a decent job at translating the alliterative verses.

Not exactly what you ask for, but Sinuhe is quite an interesting novel about egyptians written by a Finnish dude.

Also Hamsun's Growth of the Soil is a nice building a land from scratch novel.

Nope

Unless you came off the boat yourself you're American first sorry

>im tired of greek/roman decadence
get ready for a massive downgrade in literary quality

>Here begins the tale, and tells of a man who was named Sigi, and called of men the son of Odin; another man withal is told of in the tale, hight Skadi, a great man and mighty of his hands; yet was Sigi the mightier and the higher of kin, according to the speech of men of that time. Now Skadi had a thrall with whom the story must deal somewhat, Bredi by name, who was called after that work which he had to do; in prowess and might of hand he was equal to men who were held more worthy, yea, and better than some thereof.
-Volsung Saga opening

>Snorri
Snorri didn't write Njal's Saga and Volsungs' Saga

Just because you didnt read it, doesn't mean they didn't write
The Icelandic sagas are marvelous

Attached: 220px-Egil_Skallagrimsson_17c_manuscript.jpg (220x304, 30.49K)

Vikings != Norsemen

This is Romanian? I thought it was Slovak or something because of the "povesti" lmao.

Follow this for Icelandic family sagas.

Other things to read are of course Snorri's Edda and Heimskringla.

Also Saxo's Gesta Danorum, but I haven't read that one yet.

Attached: 1642078974467.png (1605x2065, 1.25M)

Try some Norse literature such as the Eddas.

1/4 words is of slavic root therefore the language must be slavic. what a time to be alive. it's the authors' choice, he could have used the latin equivalent with no issue, naratiune, which is a common word

But Havamal is in the poetic edda. You do not need a separate book.

You should have read that Wikipedia article before posting

That is exceedingly pedantic, user.

No, not really. All of the sagas were written after the viking age had ended. That would be like saying Blood Meridian was written by a real Old West bounty hunter just because Cormac McCarthy is American.

>crtl find
>no jomsvikings saga
vile knaves

Attached: kingelection.jpg (998x672, 250.58K)

nobody thinks blood meridian is historically accurate anymore than they think jojo is historically accurate. the sagas were specifically written as historical records by people who specialized in the oral history of scandinavia.

Gustavus Adolphus died in 1632, user.

>Vikings didnt write.
ᚾᛁᚴᛅ᛫ᚢᛅᛏ

I never said the sagas were historically inaccurate, only that they were not written by actual vikings. Why is everyone being weird about this?

because OP asked for nordic classics and norse myth, not viking classics and viking myth. youre the only one who brought up viking. fuck you and your facetious little attititude. you reek of some smart alack middle ranked jew; too dumb enough to play the big leagues and too smart enough to be liked by anyone. go spam more blacked on Yea Forums. i know your kind well, ive met them IRL, and you speak in their exact same manner. look how this little maggot has been poisoning the thread for hours, contributing nothing to the conversation other than trying to be a smart little shit. kill yourself, unironically.

Reinstate calm within yourself user, is ignorance really deserving of such wrath?

Attached: 3918473987535.png (960x960, 1.4M)

Oh huh. I guess you’re right, OP never asked about Vikings. My bad, bro

sorry. had my cigarette. i am now chill. go in peace brothers.

Attached: jesushchrost.png (460x444, 146.42K)