Do young people even read anymore? zoomers do not read anymore. you ask 100 of them what their favorite book is...

do young people even read anymore? zoomers do not read anymore. you ask 100 of them what their favorite book is, they say "i dont fucking read fr fr". this is NOT good. and including the evergrowing push to move everything to ebook/audiobooks, i fear there will be a time in our future where books just won't get printed anymore.

Attached: Kern Figure 1_13.png (1326x724, 614.53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lanekenworthy.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/whythesurgeinobesity-figure1-version1.png?w=584
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gen Y should end at 1997. But to answer the question, no zoomers in general don't read much at all and neither do millennials. Playing video games and sitting on your computer watching youtube videos is by far the norm currently. None of this is at all surprising given that with the shift into the digital age, came the blending of "real life" and "internet", and now you're rarely free from the web. Books may very well become a niche in the future like film photography is, but there is no way of actually knowing until the time comes.

The less people who can read, the better.

Young women read. Men, very rarely. It is such a shame; I sit in the library sometimes and it’s just old people and the occasional woman, who skims through the chick-lit section, or maybe takes a picture of a few pages of a psychology textbook, w/e.
On the other hand, I’m glad, because they occasionally still try— that’s when they donate their barely worn books to charity shops and I buy them all up.
Keep making chart threads, boys. Some retards buy all the books from them and donate them when the reality of reading sets in.

Books don't need to be printed anymore in the same way film or music doesn't need to be physical.

>DEY GREW UP WID TECHNOLOGY
what a meaningless fucking sentiment

>Gen Y should end at 1997
if you don't remember 9/11, you're a zoomer.

no, fucker, i don't want to have to need a fucking digital device to fucking read.

I hate being zoomer

>finished reading brother karamazov a week ago and now I wanna start reading some tolstoy
if you would stop trying to put people in narrow minded boxes, you would realize only few people read regardless of the generation
and that was always the case even before the internet (or tv for that matter)

who are the woman and the faggot on the right? honest question, i dont know them

That's the argument I make too. My brother was born in 97 and the world he grew up in can't be compared to that of someone born in 2007.

Read Neil Postman’s “Amusing ourselves to death”. It contradicts what you say about it always being the case.
Obviously pre-printing press etc. you have a point, but no, most people read or at the very least listened to people read.

>Yes, all zoomers (everybody under the age of 22 currently) do not read books. All across the world, in all cultures in all countries, people under 22 years of age have just stopped reading
do you realize how stupid this sounds? Reading has not been a dominant hobby for the majority of people since at least the 1950s

True, unless they were rich and had all the time in the world, people were in rush to just live and make a family, plenty were even illiterate. My parents are baby boomers, and I remember my mother telling me how it was only thanks to her ambition and stubbornness that she finished high school, as far as her parents were concerned she was supposed to quit education after acquiring the most basic knowledge and work on getting married.

one of the oldest zoomer here, it is true no one reads nowadays. Even for me, that i try effortly, it is very difficult. The main problem is that we're accostumed to get everything instantly and books are the opposite of that: you have to put a lot of time (compared to normal zoomer activities) to get something out of it. My bet goes for that less and less people will read in the future until books become totally ignored. I hope i die before that happens

>Keep making chart threads
charts do help because they guide you, the absolute ignorant, in the reading path

Yeah, most of us don't read. It worries me too, though my friends still read a bit.

>or at the very least listened to people read.
>audiobooks are gone

>They are born digital

Attached: B7BAFF83-47CE-4A85-B194-178B92040F38.jpg (1080x1111, 849.09K)

Reading isn't going anywhere. It's just becoming vertical. The new youtube aristocracy relies on books. Youtube video essay writers who do actually read books and broadcast their opinions to millions of zoomers who don't read and regurgitate their favorite e-celeb's opinions.

They’re a poor substitute if you’re actually literate. All public readings of the past usually included discussion, or interpretation of scripture etc.
You’re not an illiterate peasant, are you?

Why the fuck does anyone believe in generational titles anyways? Who defined them? Why are we expected to believe that they’re actually real? It doesn’t make any sense. I don’t see how you can distinguish a “Gen Z” from a “Gen Alpha” or a “Gen X” from a “Millennial.” They all share the same basic American cultural traits and they are only distinguishable because they choose to identify with those titles. Like how would you even define Zoomers if they didn’t call themselves Gen Z? They have no real culture or community anyways.

Attached: 8A7033F5-C32B-47BF-B1BB-1D7F4E9D0902.png (575x526, 273.75K)

thank you for the suggestion, I might give it a try

humans love grouping things, it's what our tribal monkey brain does.

So is 1980 Gen X or Gen Y? It's included in both.

Zoomers are very upset about this I see

Same, it's tiring, and I love to go back and fort and at the same time within the pages without having to dial numbers.

>Gen Y should end at 1997
you're too dumb to understand that the year is irrelevant

>Gen Z is born digital
Lmao fuck no. Born poor in the early 2000s, you didn't have tech until you reached your teens.
>do young people even read anymore
Yes, just not always books. While many read books, many just read articles and summaries because books often waste time in a world of intellectual abundance.

Attached: 1593814743190.jpg (1800x1890, 676.51K)

>books often waste time in a world of intellectual abundance.
god i fucking HATE zoomers

Enough Zoomies read plenty of books

Read The Bugbear of Literacy by Coomaraswamy

hw so? technology has radically altered our lifestyle and society

Not meaningless at all. Compare what we have now to what earlier generations (like myself) had. Were you alive before the WWW? Do you remember how it was? if you weren't you can't possibly understand exactly how significant that statement is.

Books actually seem to be on the rise. It's just that they're shitty YA fantasy and romances popularised by Tiktok which I think is going to solidify the idea that reading is a girly habit.

Someone born in 97 isn't going to remember shit about 9/11. Should push it back to like 93 or 94. Tipical self-hating zoomers.

These generational labels are inane marketing inventions. They don't mean much at all.

In black communities you are ostracized for reading, if someone wants to post the DIS NIGGA READING A WHOLE ASS BOOK *skull emoji*. I don't know about white zoomers though.

>many just read articles and summaries because books often waste time in a world of intellectual abundance
Their opinions are worthless as a result

I read you retard. I have been a active reader since my youth. Born in 2002.

You are in your youth now so that statement is literally meaningless

I don't think so. I have read about 200 literary works, from classics to historybooks.

Then surely you should be able to understand the concept of "young people don't read" not meaning "no young person anywhere reads"

>do young people even read anymore?
post 2015 Yea Forums doesn't even read ...... and they post on a literature board. What do you think?

Almost every generation since the Classical period has grown up with some sort of technology that their parents did not. Unless they can point out the significance of the technology in question and how it sets them apart from their forbears, it’s meaningless.

Most zoomers talking in American ebonics and read whatever is on some twitter thread or maybe on tiktok.
The outliers will read whatever is promoted by Amazon, maybe Ibrahim Kendi X or whatever his name is.
Those in the middle will watch a twitch stream by some breadtuber to replace the role that their absent father would provide.
That is it

They grew up as modern digital technology was developing, what is hard to understand about that you dumb redditor faggot?

I genuinely feel bad for anyone born after ~2003, literally born into the gayest, shittiest time possible

Zoomers are absolutely fucked in every sense of the word. Their speech, intelligence, identity (lol), health, politics is all so fucked.
They are the generation that got raised by the mentally ill types (that used to be confined to places like Tumblr, but then grew up and entered positions of authority in institutions)

They have no resilience to anything, they are raised in a culture of self-flagellation that promotes developing a mental illness and being proud of it, all the institutions that raised them have become absolutely politicised.

fuck you OP you toxic retard. Your image is utter nonsense. I was born 1998 and I am neither a millenial nor a zoomer. I did grow up with some technology but not all of it and I certainly was not born digital. The smartphones only came to be practical and thus useable in the early 2000s. Being born digital would mean you hwd contact to digital media i.e. mostly smartphones from day 1 of your life. Which can not be so for people who are born before 2005.

The entire discussion about people not reading is completely pointless and just shows that you like to portrait yourself as more intellectual and more worthy than others who do not read. I don't care if people read or not. I read at least 50 pages everyday but I do that for me and not some stupid goodie points on the internet or somewhere else.

>marketing demographics

>do young people even read anymore?
statistically literacy is higher than ever before and books are selling better than ever before because of eBooks and the likes. Reading is booming unironically. Yes, it may seem like all young people are on their phone every day, but its not like the majority of people were any different ever. Youre just now seeing it, when in the past that shit was hidden

>Reddit.com

If you are talking of Americans, your youngest generation is absolutely retarded.

>Yes the heckin young generation are reading Rupi Kaur and Ibraham Kendi X!

lol u mad?

>baby boomer
>cares about health
LOL

lanekenworthy.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/whythesurgeinobesity-figure1-version1.png?w=584

Is this implying the baby boomers aren't getting fat as they get older too?

I was born in 96, but I only read for entertainment. Work/the world is so oppressively draining I need an outlet to relax

Attached: V37_Firefox.jpg (1036x949, 498.85K)

>Gen Y
>ends at 96

Nope. Like I've said multiple times, only self-hating Millennials fuck around with the year of this sole generation; and I see it constantly shifting through the years. 2001, 99, 97 -- now 96. I expect it to eventually go down to 94.