Matthew 4

>Matthew 4

>18 While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 19 And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him.

>21 And going on from there he saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and he called them. 22 Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

That's all it took? Some random stranger approached them and they just abandoned their work and family?

Attached: fishers-of-men.jpg (800x566, 135.37K)

Sure. It was Jesus.

That random stranger is literally God, if the spirit in you recognized God and your mind agreed, would you not do the same?

Yeah, christians are all completely devoid of rationality or a sense of duty to behave like reasonable adults.

Kind of there to demonstrate his powerful charisma

Kind of interesting that even the atheist Jews who study the Nt agree Christ managed to get disciples

The phrase 'I will make you fishers of men' is what they nowadays call a 'career promotion'.

Example:

You are a fisher. You have been fishing for ten years and are honestly bored by it. Then somebody comes along and promises you a raise: to not make you fishers of fish, but fishers of men. Now thát sounds interesting, so you go.

Be a bit more contrarian, OP.

Much better explanation than this shit

What overgrown baby would abandon their family just because something „sounded a bit more interesting“.

Jesus wasn't a stranger, they already knew him.

>God decides to shit test Abraham and then some random angel has to tell him to stop
That was hilarious

Attached: img_2726.jpg (850x1255, 204.51K)

This kind of shit is why I struggle to see the Bible as great literature. So many instances of people acting in totally strange and unrealistic ways, presented with utterly flat language.

>Some random stranger approached them and they just abandoned their work and family?
You'r a wyzzard, Harry...

Well, another random stranger insisted that Gabriel spoke to him in Arabic. Was that wise as well?

It’s literally fiction.

Wizardry is despised by God

Attached: Brawny+trolls_9e2fb5_9506705.jpg (1200x1600, 204.39K)

So is working on the sabbath and eating shrimp

Read John 18 and 19 for how a smart person responds to Christ

how do you know

Because when you get shot in the stomach, you go to a hospital, and not a church

Sorry how is that about the gospels? I missed that

Is it not in the Gospels that you should rely on faith alone? Isn't God supposed to be all powerful? How come, when they're are actual problems in your life, you choose flawed human medicine over divine power? You're not secretly an atheist, are you?

Because most of the gospels are from Satan.

There are a lot of people walking around right now calling themselves the son of god. You're gonna put your money where your mouth is and do whatever asinine shit they tell you to?

>Is it not in the Gospels that you should rely on faith alone?
People's actions don't invalidate ideal principles.
>Isn't God supposed to be all powerful?
Barely related but okay
>How come, when they're are actual problems in your life, you choose flawed human medicine over divine power?
Would you rather get shot or be a convicted pedophile?
>You're not secretly an atheist, are you?
Unrelated question just to be mean spirited isn't a question

>needs figure from Gospels to criticize Gospels

Read the scene with Pilate in John very very slowly with paying attention to what Pilate knows about Christ over time.

>Isn't God supposed to be all powerful? How come, when they're are actual problems in your life, you choose flawed human medicine over divine power?
The tried and true toddler-level genie argument coming out, this one ridden with typos. They aren't sending their brightest today

Attached: ole carl.jpg (230x193, 18.91K)

>Yeah, christians are all completely devoid of rationality or a sense of duty to behave like reasonable adults.
And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

>Would you rather get shot or be a convicted pedophile?

wtf. Seriously though, my point is that what you do is what you believe in. If you go to a hospital when you get ill, and rely on the very human knowledge you claim all day long to be horribly flawed, you're an atheist as far as I'm concerned

Thank you for picking out the proper one. You are acting like the worse thing that can happen is something bad to your body. Which would you rather be?

>"ridden with typos"
>there's just one

Also, why to not adress my point

>rely on the very human knowledge
So wonderfully scientific assumptions. Is this Science?

Well, and something bad to other people's bodies. Their minds as well, because I'm not a psychopath

So you think a story where someone makes their brother give up his birthright for exchange of some food because he's hungry is a story written by a good just god?

Yes, medicine is science. We didn't learn how to heal bullet wounds because an angel revealed it to us

Which passage?
Why would you care what happens to soulless meatbags Mr. Not Psychopath? Stop being a baby - if there's no God start acting like it. So I repeat, which is worse? Or even moreso, which is worse to be: the shooter or the one innocent and shot?

>Which passage?
Seriously?

Yeah apologies I really am genuinely not certain what you're referring to

>Why would you care what happens to soulless meatbags Mr. Not Psychopath?

Because I have basic empathy? Because I don't really enjoy being beaten to death, and can imagine other people probably sharing the same sentiment?

That's a better reason than doing this to score Jesus points with the great wizard in the sky

So you don't know about the meal of the pottage? Your god doesn't wish to interfere with man's business. Yet you think all of these times some powerful mystical being stepped into play, it's god, and not some agent of evil playing tricks? Your entire religion is based on Satan's deceptions.

It‘s the story of esau and jakob, Genesis 25:19-34

>Because I have basic empathy?
Without God and souls? Good job, so do apes.
>Because I don't really enjoy being beaten to death, and can imagine other people probably sharing the same sentiment?
>beaten to death
What?
>That's a better reason than doing this to score Jesus points with the great wizard in the sky
You have no reasons. To value morality and not believe in God is the greatest weakness I can think of. You care what happens to meatbags which fade away to nothing? Why? Human beings didn't slavery was morally wrong until Christianity, why? There is no answer other than a recourse to immutable laws of the universe which is indirectly God but without God himself. Only Christianity articulates those rules.

>Which passage?
Why even enter a Bible discussion thread if you haven't read it
It's the story of Jacob and Esau from Genesis

>OT
>Gospels
bro don't do that to me
>satan
there's that concept again. Who made that?

This is fair and I do apologize. I am really addicted to the Gospels and the rest of the Bible leaves me a tad cold as well.

>Without God and souls?
Yes? This isn't very hard to imagine you know. Just take a knife, and before using it on others, use it on yourself. That should already give you a basic understanding of how unpleasurable this is, and the fact that you need a book to tell you this says a lot about you

>To value morality and not believe in God is the greatest weakness I can think of.
It worked for both Hammurabi and rabbi Hillel, neither of which believed in your god

Are you only interested in (You)s?

*neither of whom

He didn't *make* his brother do anything. His brother *chose* his immediate belly being more important to him than his life inheritance. And here we are, still today, all of us constantly gratifying immediate desires over eternal life.

>Yes? This isn't very hard to imagine you know. Just take a knife, and before using it on others, use it on yourself. That should already give you a basic understanding of how unpleasurable this is, and the fact that you need a book to tell you this says a lot about you
Google war and click on wikipedia pages. My statement is the norm.

>It worked for both Hammurabi and rabbi Hillel, neither of which believed in your god
>uses christians going to hospital to invalidate Christianity
>uses people valuing morality without God to show they are correct
Same trick same error.

It's cool, I overreacted anyways

Nah just pointing out the blatant contradictions in non-Christian thought.

And I bet you're upset about all of the Jew trickery in the world. You idolize a god that rewards this behavior. That's not a good god. That's Satan's work.

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’[c]”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.

All forgiven friend :) - sorry for any confusion

Nice lie.

Non-christians would complement deception :)

>My statement is the norm.

And you seriously believe that not having to live through that isn't a reward on its own? You need a soul reward to make that worthwhile?

>And you seriously believe that not having to live through that isn't a reward on its own?
How did morality grow?
>You need a soul reward to make that worthwhile?
Yes.

As I've said, your entire religion is based on deceptions. Keep idolizing Satan. The being you call god, wishes for you to have free will, no? Why do act like all of the time some being interfered with man's free will, was god.

>Keep idolizing Satan.
Why do you need its terms to critique it? That's silly
>The being you call god, wishes for you to have free will, no? Why do act like all of the time some being interfered with man's free will, was god.
Great point - you have free will in accepting existence for eternity which is God and the ethics of the Gospels

That sounds like a very cheap cop out. You promise that your god can do everything you wish, but when that's put to the test, he suddenly can't do it and you're not allowed to even pose the question? Sounds like a giant scam

You're asking for God to physically help versus spiritually - you just are misplacing categories tbvh

I just thought it was interesting that your line of argumentation was similar to Satan's.

See, you are only interested in (You)s.

I want to convert as many of the smart people on this board as possible. Any suggestions to do it better?

This is some nice Jewish trickery influenced by the one they worship, Satan.

>How did morality grow?
Trail and error. We can even see it in your own holy book, which sees nothing wrong with slavery, despite that you probably having no problem with slave owners being put in prison

>Yes.
In that case, go live in Darfur for a month, and experience true horror yourself. You'll be surprised how little you will care about your soul compared to just surviving another day

Be a good person, and stop falling for Satan's tricks.

What's a trick? Would you rather have a belief in heaven or be healthy? Why?

"Welcome to our father's house."

If you want to declare calling people's bluff Satanic, you're than welcome to

>Trail and error. We can even see it in your own holy book, which sees nothing wrong with slavery, despite that you probably having no problem with slave owners being put in prison
Trial and error? How did they know what was good? You're assuming the most important parts.
>In that case, go live in Darfur for a month, and experience true horror yourself. You'll be surprised how little you will care about your soul compared to just surviving another day
Hmmm it's not an invalid point but you're still focused on individual believers rather than beliefs. Why is forgiveness wrong and not a perfect moral system?

>Be a good person
Show me the guidebook written by someone who's never read the Gospelz