Post books that filtered you

Post books you didn't get the first time. For whatever reason you couldn't finish.
For me it was picrel, I read the words okay but I'd finish a page and just be like "what have I just read"

Attached: 71MKYvTU04L.jpg (1526x2341, 222.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

poets.org/poem/tender-buttons-objects
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Quit after finishing the first book

Attached: 81izCyL-M6L.jpg (1412x2123, 425.07K)

Wilson's a fag anyway.

Attached: 71ogW7jfZAL.jpg (1159x1809, 206.61K)

Hes definitely the pinnacle of esoteric boomerism but sometimes hes good for a few laughs. The book read like a collection of unrelated events

I dislike Twains writing style but I figured I should read more than his 2 most popular books to properly judge him. I also was really interested in the plot of the book. I couldn't get through it as it just kept going on and on and on with nothing being said, not even in a good way. Or suddenly within the same paragraph the book jumps in time literal years. I got about 3/4 of the way done and got discouraged so I looked up the ending online and hated it so I saw no reason to finish.

Attached: 162898.jpg (243x400, 40.88K)

Some excerpts poets.org/poem/tender-buttons-objects

>A CARAFE, THAT IS A BLIND GLASS.

>A kind in glass and a cousin, a spectacle and nothing strange a single hurt color and an arrangement in a system to pointing. All this and not ordinary, not unordered in not resembling. The difference is spreading.

>GLAZED GLITTER.

>Nickel, what is nickel, it is originally rid of a cover.

>The change in that is that red weakens an hour. >The change has come. There is no search. But there is, there is that hope and that interpretation and sometime, surely any is unwelcome, sometime there is breath and there will be a sinecure and charming very charming is that clean and cleansing. Certainly glittering is handsome and convincing.

>There is no gratitude in mercy and in medicine. >There can be breakages in Japanese. That is no programme. That is no color chosen. It was chosen yesterday, that showed spitting and perhaps washing and polishing. It certainly showed no obligation and perhaps if borrowing is not natural there is some use in giving.

>ROASTBEEF.

>In the inside there is sleeping, in the outside there is reddening, in the morning there is meaning, in the evening there is feeling. In the evening there is feeling. In feeling anything is resting, in feeling anything is mounting, in feeling there is resignation, in feeling there is recognition, in feeling there is recurrence and entirely mistaken there is pinching. All the standards have steamers and all the curtains have bed linen and all the yellow has discrimination and all the circle has circling. This makes sand.

>Very well. Certainly the length is thinner and the rest, the round rest has a longer summer. To shine, why not shine, to shine, to station, to enlarge, to hurry the measure all this means nothing if there is singing, if there is singing then there is the resumption.

Amazing book, but it was so fucking intense. I'm steeling myself for my next attempt.

Honourable mention to Clarice Lispector's Agua Viva, which is also unbearably intense.

Attached: blood_guts.jpg (851x1171, 239.43K)

>reading women
>"filtered"

fuck neech but he has one good one on this

>Man thinks woman profound -- why? Because he can never fathom her depths. Woman is not even shallow

Would recommend going back to pale fire if it's been a while. I put it down the first time I tried a few years ago then came back a few months ago and it's one of my favorite books I've read. Maybe switch up your strategy too

Attached: 9780394745022-us.jpg (325x500, 53.97K)

Good thread. If you are thinking I didn't answered the question: i don't get filtered cuz I use the power of patience which never fails

Wittgenstein. I'll figure it out one day, but not today.

epic

Aristotle's Metaphysics

I literally understood nothing. English is not my mother tongue and the translation was kinda archaic. Every other sentence had thy or thee in it and it immediately pulled me out because i wanted to read it as you but my little brain was unable to transform as i read. also there were lots of words i didnt know its meaning and i didnt bother to look them up.
If anyone knows any modern translation I'd like to try to read it again. I'm also more familiar with philosopy books now compared to then when i first read this book.

Attached: meditations.jpg (1200x1813, 312.95K)

It's an interesting read, certainly.
But I'm a borderline autist with an obsession with understanding the formulation of systems and the kind of thinking that informs them, so, yeah, I get it.
I also didn't make it past the first 100 pages on my initial attempt.

>LOTR
Got about 100 pages into FOTR. I felt bombarded by the genealogies, songs, poems, histories, I simply couldn't enjoy myself. It felt like I was studying for exam rather than enjoying a journey. I love the films to pieces.
>gender trouble by Judith butler
Complete gobbledygook and the worst thing I read in college

I don’t get Lispector at all. Might be a translation issue.

I was gonna post that I got filtered by that one too but now that I think about it I can at least propose some extremely vague theories to myself about what he might have intended by it, which is better than I could do before. Also the first line of the poem got used in a great song by the Menzingers.

>Kierkegaard
Was a pleasing read, but I didn't understand nor can I recall any of it, specially Sickness Unto Death.
>Nausea
Didn't enjoy it a single bit. Got nothing out of it except that Sartre hates most things but humanists in particular and living is icky except when you're listening to jazz.

On my third attempt at passing the basedbar
I’m beginning to blame Russia instead of myself

Attached: E232BEEB-F6DF-4DA6-9455-3C71DBB1117C.jpg (775x1198, 122.01K)

snow country. not even 200 pages, but somehow it just dragged on and on

Give me a quick rundown on this, I've never been able to understand what it's "about".
Which makes me worry it's just scattershot pop-psych that will help you understand the universe duuuude.

It gives you the same sense of the true nature of mathematics that you would have developed over the course of earning a 4-year degree in math.

It's a bad translation

It’s ironic as it’s supposed to be a diary, so these kinds of translations have been somewhat criticized, though if you read the reviews on Amazon you should know which one does what.

the bible
do androids dream of electric sheep
quran

i still haven't finished quran. androids took me 3 tries before it clicked. bible took many tries but that seems to be true for everyone.

Dangerously based

Snow Country for Old Men?

Not op but I can relate. I felt like I 'got it' but it wasn't as clever or funny as Nabakov seemed to think it was. More like beating on the same dead (gay) joke page after page.

That's what a lot of satirical novels feel like to me honestly. But I liked Gulliver's Travels.

lmao is this cover real

I got filtered by the bible the first time around for the same reason I bet most people in the wetsern world do. Genesis is one of the most symbolically dense pieces of writing ever made in all of history and is filled with layers of boring genealogy, people keep getting smote and genocided over and over, seemingly and seemingly boring stories without obvious points. Then Exodus comes up next and Moses kills a guy, God hardens pharo's heart and kills a bunch of people via plagues and an angel. Then the isrealites smash and kill everyone in the area, a bunch of drama happens, purity laws are baffling at first, the book of numbers is criminally boring, etc etc. By the time I got to David, I was just burned out and completely filtered.
Then this year I made a commitment to make it all the way through, and by the final words of Revelations, every single piece that filtered me before made sense to me (at least somewhat), and now I see the bible as a whole as what it IS, and not what I expected it to be (the story of hippie "love your neighbor and never judge anybody" jesus). If any anons are interested but never made it all the way through, just make a commitment to NOT get filtered, and you'll likely be happy you did.

holy guacamole, batman, I thought she was a woman of good taste

Attached: 70231A11-05B8-45CB-9609-0C9128210F5D.jpg (661x464, 41.98K)

why dangerously? where does the danger dwell?

in patience

Fahrenheit 451, so boring i just can't make it past page 30, i See it on my shelf and want to finish it just so that i'm done with it and can forget about it. but the thought of reading another page in this terrible book is even worse than the thought of an unfinished book on my shelf, so fuck it

i just wish it wasn't a religious text so anybody would take me serious when i say that the bible is my favorite book. i love the language in which it is written and the imagery it contains

In the preface of The Will And Representation, Schopenhauer says that you need to read Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason beforehand, which I had not at the time, so I guess I got filtered due to lack of prerequisite knowledge.

Is there any merit to this book? Or just 200+ pages of schizophrenic rambling?

Attached: s-l400(1).jpg (260x400, 20.58K)

I don't get filtered because I can always pick the book up later.

I'm with this one, didn't get filtered but I wish I had, the end was so underwhelming and disconnected

I got to Oxen of the Sun and said fuck this gibberish

i still dont understand you, patience is a virtue as far as i know

the language of which translation?
tried to read KJV Bible but it was bad

its not satirical. why is it so popular to read this as a statement of all novels.

Attached: A44CEB40-D4E4-47BA-B2B5-35607043B708.jpg (1200x1824, 353.89K)

Couldn't stand Borges' Ficciones. Complete shit. Gobbledegook.

It portrays an exaggeratedly delusional character, its whole premise is based on dramatic irony, and the purpose seems to be to criticize and ridicule a particular way of approaching literature. Do you disagree with that characterization of the book's purpose and methods?

KJV is goated fr fr no cap

Schlachter 2000

Penguin classics uses modern English. Still there are phrases and words that I had to look up. The footnotes are good too there in that edition.

>genealogies, songs, poems, histories
I have no idea how these came to be viewed as a bad thing

Any pomo novel. theres something kind of cringey about the way theyre written.

I'm getting filtered right now. The chapter about whale physiology didn't phase me but all this perspective shifting around Ahab and the crew is just not doing it for me.

Attached: download (1).jpg (1603x2560, 453.96K)

I read the NT like half a year ago, took a break to read some other stuff, just read the pentateuch and am taking another break. I’ve been cycling between the Bible, church fathers and later mystics.
I read Judges through Kings 2 years ago and liked it so looking forward to reading it again with different eyes.
Dante filtered me because I read all the introductory essays and end notes and it really drags it out when I don’t have a ton of time. I’m going to pick it up again but may just read it and not stress over every little note by someone else.

>do androids dream of electric sheep
literally entry level PKD, go watch a movie you mongoloid

mason and dixon, i got to page 100 or so. maybe i'll give it another try eventually

The actual interesting parts are drowned in an ocean of near-manic meaningless hysteria. Fuck this book
>inb4 filtered

>Might be a translation issue.
It ISN'T! kek

what's to get
>le womanhood... hard
>is... is that a COCKROACH AHHHHH AAAAAHHH NOOOO AHHHHH AHHHHHHHH
>everything's aliveeeee lmaooo
>2cool4you
overrated cunt