/dq/ - Don Quixote Read-Along & Discussion Thread

We're reading Don Quixote from April 23rd to May 23rd; Schedule in the first post.

Previous Thread:

Attached: 1IvEqH.jpg (1184x1600, 393.65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Dulcinea
youtube.com/watch?v=fLTTJo0E1ag
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>April 23rd: Start reading DQ Part I; Chapters 1-4
>April 24th: Chapters 5-8
>April 25th: Chapters 9-12
>April 26th: Chapters 13-16
>April 27th: Chapters 17-20
>April 28th: Chapters 21-24
>April 29th: Chapters 25-27
>April 30th: Chapters 28-32
>May 1st: Chapters 33-36
>May 2nd: Chapters 37-41
>May 3rd: Chapters 42-44
>May 4th: Chapters 45-48
>May 5th: Chapters 49-52; End of the first part of DQ
>May 6th: Start reading DQ Part II; Chapters 1-4
>May 7th: Chapters 4-8
>May 8th: Chapters 9-11
>May 9th: Chapters 12-15
>May 10th: Chapters 16-19
>May 11th: Chapters 20-23
>May 12th: Chapters 24-27
>May 13th: Chapters 28-31
>May 14th: Chapters 32-35
>May 15th: Chapters 36-39
>May 16th: Chapters 40-43
>May 17th: Chapters 44-47
>May 18th: Chapters 48-51
>May 19th: Chapters 52-55
>May 20th: Chapters 56-59
>May 21th: Chapters 60-63
>May 22th: Chapters 64-67
>May 23th: Chapters 68-72; End of the second part

Alright fellas where’s everyone at? I’m currently about half way thru chapter 19, so only one more to go for the day. So far it has been one of the funniest. Opinions? Thoughts on where the adventure will go from here?
I’m worried Sancho may actually give up his donkey, making life an even more difficult hell in his personal quest for his island.

Vladimir Nabokov's Summaries and Commentary for Chapters 17–20

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
When Don Quixote gets into a quarrel with the trooper of the Holy Brotherhood (highway police) he is hit on the head with an iron lamp. To cure his bruises he makes up the magic balm of Fierabrás, which he had committed to memory, consisting of rosemary (which is a kind of mint), oil, salt, and wine. It would be fine to try it. The description of the effect of half a quart on two different constitutions, Don Quixote and Sancho Panza, one vomiting, then sleeping and waking up much refreshed, the other suffering acute pains in the stomach, then vomiting and going into spasms and convulsions, without any sleep—this description is an excellent clinical observation. The oil, of course, was the chief mischief-maker.

The whole chapter, with the blanket-tossing of Sancho and the ugly and lewd servant girl’s beautiful gesture at the end,* is superb.

*[Editor's Note]: Sancho, suffering from his beatings but even more from the effects of the magic potion, “started to take a drink, but perceiving at the first swallow that it was only water, he stopped and asked Maritornes to bring him some wine instead. She complied right willingly, paying for it out of her own money; for it is said of her that, although she occupied so lowly a station in life, there was something about her that remotely resembled a Christian woman. When he had drunk his fill, Sancho dug his heels into his ass’s flanks, and the gate of the inn having been thrown wide open for him, he rode away quite well satisfied with himself because he had not had to pay anything, even though it had been at the expense of those usual bondsmen, his shoulders.”

I am studying abroad in Madrid for one semester so I took the book with me. Started at January, but reading very on and off due to many other obligations so currently on the 23rd chapter of the second book, but these threads really morivate me to read daily on a smaller scale.
Been to Cervantes' house in Alcala and am definitely planning on checking it again once I finish.

Attached: D08D816D-4D13-4FB5-B88E-15AC013A3D4C.png (1136x640, 1.55M)

Had an exam today, so couldn't read in the morning. I finished 16 an hour or so back. Gonna read till 20 before bed.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:
Don Quixote undergoes another attack of “strange madness” when he mistakes two flocks of sheep and the clouds of dust they raise for two mighty armies. Sancho protests:
>“Sir,” he said, “may I go to the devil if I see a single man, giant, or knight of all those that your Grace is talking about. Who knows? Maybe it is another spell, like last night.”
>“How can you say that?” replied Don Quixote. “Can you not hear the neighing of the horses, the sound of trumpets, the roll of drums?”
>“I hear nothing,” said Sancho, “except the bleating of sheep.”
A device, whose use is very convenient to end the description of Don Quixote’s battles, is to have the mule-drivers or carters or herdsmen, immediately leave the scene, as here, when they see they have downed the madman by stoning him and knocking out some of his teeth, and perhaps have killed him. Another point of interest in this chapter is the theme of reality and transformation. Don Quixote even suggests a scientific experiment that would be conclusive evidence of the enchantment process.
>“Didn’t I tell you, Señor Don Quixote,” he said, “that you should come back, that those were not armies you were charging but flocks of sheep?”
>“This,” said Don Quixote, “is the work of that thieving magician, my enemy, who thus counterfeits things and causes them to disappear. You must know, Sancho, that it is very easy for them to make us assume any appearance that they choose; and so it is that malign one who persecutes me, envious of the glory he saw me about to achieve in this battle, changed the squadrons of the foe into flocks of sheep. If you do not believe me, I beseech you on my life to do one thing for me, that you may be undeceived and discover for yourself that what I say is true. Mount your ass and follow them quietly, and when you have gone a short way from here, you will see them become their former selves once more; they will no longer be sheep but men exactly as I described them to you in the first place. But do not go now, for I need your kind assistance; come over here and have a look and tell me how many grinders are missing, for it feels as if I did not have a single one left.”
The vomiting that takes place shortly in this scene when Don Quixote once again resorts to the magic potion is a little too much of the good thing, especially after the slapstick in the preceding chapter. Knight and squire are now at a very low point.

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
Don Quixote routs the mourners in a funeral procession under the delusion that they are devils carrying away the body of a dead or wounded knight.
>"All these shirt-wearers were timid folk, without arms, and so, naturally enough, they speedily quit the fray and started running across the fields, still bearing their lighted torches in their hands, which gave them the appearance of masked figures darting here and there on some night when a fiesta or other celebration is being held. Those who wore the mourning, on the other hand, wrapped and swathed in their skirts and gowns, were unable to move; and, accordingly, with no risk to himself, Don Quixote smote them all and drove them off against their will [...]"
All this is first-rate descriptive prose. We have to rely on the translator: It is a pity we cannot admire this in Spanish and thus enter into closer contact with the pure Castilian style.
>"Sancho watched it all, greatly admiring his master’s ardor. “No doubt about it,” he told himself, “he is as brave and powerful as he says he is.”

CHAPTER TWENTY:
The sly art with which Cervantes alternates the adventures of his hero is above praise. It was absolutely necessary for the sake of artistic balance to have the knight gain a graceful and easy victory in Chapter 19. That procession had no business to go clad in Ku Klux Klan garb with torches and got what it deserved. This is the gist of Don Quixote’s observation to the young clergyman whose leg he broke. The reader is perfectly indifferent to the plight of the white-shirted mourners, and is pleased not only with Don Quixote’s abstract victory but also with the knowledge that Sancho Panza stole the rich provisions of the masked priests.

Chapter 20 begins with an excellent scientific observation coming from Sancho Panza:
>‘It is not possible, sir,’ said Sancho, ‘that this grass should not betoken the presence near by of some spring or brook that provides it with moisture; and so it would be a good thing if we were to go a little farther, for I am sure we should be able to find someplace where we might quench this terrible thirst that is consuming us and that, undoubtedly, is more painful to bear than hunger.’”
Both squire and knight have considerably gained in intelligence since we first met them. In this chapter we also have a specimen of Sancho’s story-telling capacity; the passage about the goats being rowed across the stream is excellent for its wit.

(1/2)

A goatherd was going with his flock where his eyes would never more behold the girl who had been unfaithful to him. He came to the bank of the flood-swollen Guadiana River, which he could not cross.
>“As he was looking about, he saw a fisherman alongside a boat so small that it would hold only one person and a goat, but, nevertheless, he spoke to the man, who agreed to take the shepherd and his flock of three hundred to the opposite bank. The fisherman would climb into the boat and row one of the animals across and then return for another, and he kept this up, rowing across with a goat and coming back, rowing across and coming back—Your Grace must be sure to keep count of the goats that the fisherman rowed across the stream, for if a single one of them escapes your memory, the story is ended and it will not be possible to tell another word of it.
>“I will go on, then, and tell you that the landing place on the other side was full of mud and slippery, and it took the fisherman a good while to make the trip each time; but in spite of that, he came back for another goat, and another, and another—”
>“Just say he rowed them all across,” said Don Quixote; “you need not be coming and going in that manner, or it will take you a year to get them all on the other side.”
>“How many have gone across up to now?” Sancho demanded.
>“How the devil should I know?” replied Don Quixote.
>“There, what did I tell you? You should have kept better count. Well, then, by God, the story’s ended, for there is no going on with it.”
>“How can that be?” said the knight. “Is it so essential to know the exact number of goats that if I lose count of one of them you cannot tell the rest of the tale?”
>“No, sir, I cannot by any means,” said Sancho; “for when I asked your Grace to tell me how many goats had been rowed across and you replied that you did not know, at that very instant everything that I was about to say slipped my memory; and you may take my word for it, it was very good and you would have liked it.”
>“So,” said Don Quixote, “the story is ended, is it?”
It was. The story that Sancho undertakes to tell is an old gag, however, probably of oriental origin. After this, there is again a scene in the coarse tradition of the day involving Sancho’s incontinence of the bowels, followed by the adventure, or rather the non-adventure, of the six fulling hammers (for grooving and spreading iron), which is rather lame.

(2/2)

>21th
>22th
>23th
Did Mike tyson make this post?

I finished today's chapters earlier and the sheep part and the vomit had me in stitches.

how long would it take to get to 30th chapter? i want to read with you bros

It is ok friend. The chapters are quite digestible. I have been working 6 days a week since before the start of the read and I’m now finding s good balance reading half the daily chapters in the morning and half at night. Hope you did well on your exam, user.
One of my favorite scenes so far. Genuinely made me chuckle the entire time

I just finished chapter 19, going to start chapter 20 now; so far so good, although I'm beginning to wonder just how far Cervantes can carry the reader's attention with these episodic one- or two-chapter adventures

>At this juncture, whether it was the cool of the morning which was coming on, or something laxative he had eaten at supper, or—which is most likely—merely a necessity of nature, Sancho felt the will and desire to do that which no one else could do for him; but so great was the fear that had lodged in his heart that he did not dare stir by so much as the tip of a fingernail from his master’s side. It was, however, out of the question not to satisfy the need he felt; and what he did, accordingly, in order to have a little peace, was to remove his right hand which held the back of the saddle, and with this hand he very adroitly and without making any noise unloosed the slip-knot which alone sustained his breeches, thus letting them drop to the ground, where they lay like fetters about his feet; after which, he lifted his shirt and bared his behind, no small one by any means.
>Having done this—and he thought it was all he needed to do in order to be rid of his agonizing cramps—he encountered another difficulty: how was he to vent himself without making some noise or sound? Gritting his teeth and huddling his shoulders, he held his breath as best he could; but despite all these precautions, the poor fellow ended by emitting a little sound quite different from the one that had filled him with such fear.
>“What noise was that, Sancho?” said Don Quixote.
>“I do not know, sir,” he replied. “It must be something new; for adventures and misadventures never come singly.”
>He then tried his luck again and succeeded so well that, without any more noise or disturbance than the last time, he found himself free of the load that had given him so much discomfort. But Don Quixote’s sense of smell was quite as keen as his sense of hearing, and Sancho was so close upon him that the fumes rose in almost a direct line, and so it is not surprising if some of them reached the knight’s nostrils, whereupon he came to the aid of his nose by compressing it between two fingers.
>“It strikes me, Sancho,” he said in a somewhat snuffling tone of voice, “that you are very much frightened.”
>“That I am,” replied his squire, “but how does your Grace happen to notice it, now more than ever?”
>“Because you smell now more than ever, and it is not of ambergris.”
>“That may well be,” said Sancho, “but I am not to blame; it is rather your Grace, for keeping me up at such hours and putting me through such unaccustomed paces.”
>“Retire, if you will, three or four paces from here, my friend,” said Don Quixote, without taking his fingers from his nose; “and from now on, see to it that you take better care of your person and show more respect for mine. It is my familiarity with you that has bred this contempt.”
>“I’ll wager,” said Sancho, “your Grace thinks I have done something with my person that I ought not to have done.”
>“It only makes it worse to stir it, friend Sancho,” Don Quixote answered him.
what the fuck

I have a feeling they will continue to get the shit kicked out of them for the entire book lol

That's good to hear. And thank you user. It went great. Just messed up in question so either 99 or 98.

Wondering the same thing. Even though the adventures are funny at times, the formula has already become old. I’d like to see some overarching plot emerge from all this door to door sequencing. That being said I’m gonna keep reading until the end regardless of if my wishes come true. It’s been a good time with you anons so far

I'm the user from last thread asking about catching up. Read the prologue and first chapter before work, always wanted to read this and this seems a great motivator.

Bros... are the enchanters and sorcerers going to leave my mans DQ alone already?

>how long would it take to get to 30th chapter? i want to read with you bros
4 hours

Attached: donkey hote.jpg (837x432, 71.19K)

im on chapter 10, pretty behind, but im also pretty busy lately , ill be more free to catch up later this week

Attached: don-quijoite-y-los-molinos.jpg (950x628, 160.81K)

I'm a couple of chapters behind, I'll catch up during the weekend. Wageslaving is slowly killing my brain.

Idk man I just hope it’s soon bc at this point even Sancho is clowning on him

Posting Nabokov's comments is awesome. I'd say this would be a welcome addition to future readings.

I'm on chapter 22. It seems like "walking down the road and encountering things" will be the name of the game long term. I really hope they change things up a bit or the story opens up with something a little more long form in terms of narrative.

Chapter 18 was the most enjoyable out of today's chapters. For me the lengthy monologue from DQ where he is rattling off names of people, monsters, random mythology and just never seems to stop is a really funny passage.
>“I hear nothing but a great bleating of ewes and sheep,” said Sancho; which was true, for by this time the two flocks had come close.
One thing which has started to jump out at me is the similarity of the humor to the british TV show black adder. I keep thinking of DQ as edmund blackadder and sancho as Baldrick. Does anyone else see this?

Sancho taking a shit right next to DQ and the story that's a complete waste of time is peak jokester material

Ah lads, it just happens that I recently started Don Quixote and I'm on the right chapter for today's date. I will join this crusade.

Attached: VgH57Dvh.jpg (1024x962, 77.24K)

Complete garbage analysis, as expected from that pedophiliac slavshit. Not only he is a slavshit subhuman, but he is also a pedophile. No wonder his commentaries are so bad.
I can tell it as a native Spanish speaker and slavshit shouldn't be able to read this, they should read whatever gibberish these subhumans slavshit produce in their subhuman language. Much less comment on it. Never in my life have I read something so stupid. The average 10 years old Spanish student (who has an IQ much higher than any slavshit) would be able to give a mcuh better insight on Don Quixote than this pedophile slavshit.

Ok, but do you have a fair lady to dedicate this reading to?

No :(

Attached: cad.png (1122x1600, 3.17M)

Welcome, you're not too late to join us as we bare witness to the many fardings and shiddings of Sancho Panza.

Then you must declare allegiance to the finest woman to ever grace these lands, Dulcinea del Toboso or ye shall face cold steel, rapscallion

Thanks friend. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. It's amazing how well the humour translates across such a long period of time.

I will not rest until I can prove my steel and win her hand.

Reading Don Quixote makes me want to go to Spain.

Attached: 1647462645025.jpg (540x564, 66.74K)

You know about blackadder!! That's a first. I love that show. And I can hundred percent see it kek

Today I started reading it with the voices of blackadder and baldrick and my enjoyment went up a thousand percent. Not to say I wasn't enjoying it before. Cheers

Yeah I think the humor caught us all by surprise. The droll sarcasm from Panza gets me every time.

your mum

"At this point the concoction took effect, and the poor squire began to erupt from both channels, and with so much force that the reed mat on which he lay, and the canvas blanket that covered him, could not be used again."
kino

Attached: 1633640521165.jpg (1000x1000, 151K)

Off work for the next 3 days, gonna start and catch up.

Attached: 1618278868804.gif (267x260, 1.91M)

Pic related was comedy kino, I for some reason wish there was art of the vomit scene

Attached: c17b.jpg (1141x1429, 339.89K)

just to be followed by
>he threw up, more vigorously than if he were firing a musket, eve-rything he had inside, and all of it hit the compassionate squire in the face.
Cervantes, king of potty jokes

Is that Jose Arcadio Beundia

Yes this had me laughing out loud, can't lie.

maybe the drawfag in these threads can toss together a crude depiction of homeboy shitting and puking

some of the perspective is a bit off in this one but i chose pretty weird poses and designs so it turned out better than expected desu, not done yet, gonna draw the wizard turning them back into windmills over by sanchos side. probably not gonna get to shade or color any of these until the last/post threads, trying to keep up with reading too

Attached: windmills.jpg (3423x2480, 1.16M)

dont worry its coming, im working on a couple drawings atm. giant one is just the only one worth showing

post ur best novel cyka

“Peace,” said Don Quixote; “where hast thou ever seen or heard that a knight-errant has been arraigned before a court of justice, however many homicides he may have committed?”

“I know nothing about omecils,” answered Sancho

Attached: cmon.jpg (290x174, 9.84K)

Interesting that in Chapter XX, the "illusion" is shared and broken at the same time in both Sancho and Quixote. What made the wind mills appear to be giants but the fulling mill is just a fulling mill?

At the beginning of chapter 28. So far it's been such a comfy and funny read that I dont understand why so many people get filtered after the first 100-150 pages.

D. Quixote was already fearful of the noise, predisposed to see the reality and not the delusion. that's how I interpreted it, and what Sancho pointed out.

>TFW translator makes fun of previous translator in every second footnote

Guy translates all names for example in sheep army chapter all knight names are supposed to mean something funny.
What about your version, is girl in your version translated as Dulcinea? Well Dulce means sweet or something, so he translates it to "Wondergirl" or something like that (Cudenia)

im pretty slow with drawing but i make up for it with details, ill try to come up with something creative for the puking

Dulcinea is the original name and thats how it is written in my version

also, Dulcinea is a real name, it's not like Alibragger (don't know if that's his name in the english translation, but that's how it would translate)

>Dulcinea is a real name
Only because of Cervantes

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Dulcinea
>Miguel de Cervantes coined this name in his satirical quest novel The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote of La Mancha, giving the name to Don Quixote's mistress.

Same is true of Jessica and Shakespeare btw

Why is he so mean to Sancho bros? Sancho has been so good to him so far.

Attached: E4VwrMfXoAIbxcq.jpg (1241x1535, 194.16K)

The weird part about this is that they were also both afraid of the lights initially in the previous chapter. Maybe it's a suspense thing since they can't see them for so long and the sound probably amplifies the belief that they're actual giants.

Perhaps the deciding factor is Sancho's laughter.

youtube.com/watch?v=fLTTJo0E1ag
decent audio book for anyone falling behind, i usually hate audiobooks but its not bad
any more requests for drawings?