His world is the only that doesn't feel silly when it comes to fantasy

his world is the only that doesn't feel silly when it comes to fantasy

Attached: john-ronald-reuel-tolkien-10.jpg (1572x1060, 278.34K)

>and then the big spider ate the jewel that contained all the stars in the universe and the spider became BIG STRONK but she still wasn't as STRONK and the fire monsters so they beat her up and she died :D

genreshit

so what?

Peake, Jack Vance, Le Guin, and Wolfe shit all over Tolkien.

>kingdoms and dynasties last for thousands of years
yes it's silly

he practically invented it

no, they definitively don't

Nothing if you're into feces

explain why a work is necessarily shit when it belongs to a genre

Shit genre

tolkien is literature, not fantasy

its like calling edgar allen poe genre fiction

And yet you're likely to find him in the fantasy section kek

Why?

I would hope so. If he spent more time building it, he would've willed it into existence like the fucking wizard in The Circular Ruins.

Childish fuckin' muh dragons
aaaah i'm the chosen one
BBW = BIG BEARDED WIZARDS
aaaah adventure
not the hekkin' swords and sorcerinooo
muh ring
you shall not hekkin' pass

j/k

nah

b8. Why even bother with fiction at all if you think like this in the first place. Just jerk off to philosophy, science, history, and other non-fiction books all day.

(You)

it makes sense if you consider his world to be mythological and not strictly historical

*teleports behind you*

Attached: the boys.png (519x596, 408.93K)

>his world is the only that doesn't feel silly

Attached: AEB00FF6-AC8F-4D11-BEA4-C08C8F5E10FC.gif (640x360, 70.81K)

Fantasy should be silly

Tolkien is the master of Anglo-saxon story telling.

Attached: B3437C40-BE77-4D6A-8C23-37F61A71EA87.jpg (513x800, 50.28K)

It can't be "genre shit" if it was written before the genre created existed

>his world is the only that doesn't feel silly when it comes to fantasy
Read Conan stories by Robert E Howard. Hyborian age is not silly

>Le Guin
Significantly indebted to Tolkien most especially for her Earthsea series.
>Jack Vance
I’ve enjoyed Vance’s Dying Earth a lot alongside the verbose language that comes with his style but his story endings aren’t very impressive. He’s an impressive writer with a unique setting but nowhere near Tolkien’s level and also his character names sound terrible and jaw-breaking.
>Ulan Dhor
>Guyal of Sfere
>Rogol Domedonfors (what the fuck)
>Cugel
>Tsi’ais

>Gene Wolfe
Very indebted to Tolkien. However, as much as I’m fascinated with Wolfe’s BOTNS and his short stories, they’re quite difficult to understand and read and its not surprising that Wolfe isn’t so popular outside a few fan circles. No, he doesn’t really beat Tolkien.
>Mervyn Peake
Meh.

The names you're looking for are Dunsany, E. R. Eddison, and William Morris

This

That user's actually right

Dunsany, Eddison, Howard, Leiber, Smith, Wolfe. All better.

He gave more of a shit about world building and language autism than anything else so its really really good
I mean the actual characters are mostly shit but its still good because the world is really good

Counterpoint: his four hobbits in LOTR are all brilliant characters with really amazing individual arcs.

I like Frodo and the ring dynamic a lot
Merry and Pippin are pretty good as well but there isn't too much going on
Sam is just a little bitch wagie
Ganalf, Sauron and Saruman ae all also good

Do you really not like Merry and Pippin? I love watching them go from really immature young men to full adults by the story's end. Pippin especially.

I thought they were alright just I've read that happen a million times. No Tolkien's fault because he wrote it first and I still think they were good.
I just think what makes it good is the mythical nature and world built on very stratified ideas of power but that basically means everybody has a handful of traits that are good or bad

>Not understanding the master and servant dynamic
>Thinking hobbits are wagies

The fool always makes himself known.

Tolkien initially wrote Middle-Earth as a serious replacement for native English mythology, which he believed had been completely lost. Everything having to do with hobbits and the one ring was stuff he came up with later on to entertain his children when they were very young. Interestingly, one of Tolkien's sons ended up finishing his last book after he passed away.

The only people that hate Tolkien are retards. Simple as. They get bored and filtered. They then will make genre hate posts because they don't understand why people don't like their shit modern author.

Wolfe is superior imo.

Tolkien is wonderful. Shame about his fans.

who?

That's how people become faggots. First they read about hobbits acting as a dom and a sub, then they accept a cock in their ass.

Back to

tourist

no one cares about those literal whos you namedropped, faggot

Not him. I simply recognize them because I read books unlike you.

Christ lad

Bakker is better than Tolkien since unlike Tolkien, Bakker actively denounces God and other children fantasies in his works.

Attached: Bakker.jpg (1000x897, 627.44K)

Attached: Walking Bakker.png (838x983, 210.44K)

>NOO a book can't just be fun, imaginative and epic!!! that's cringe and for children!
>real grown ups like me only read dry, cynical fiction that makes us feel smart!
>fun is cringe, being a jaded cynical bore is based!!!!
Have sex.

Have you watched the gnobbit?

You're both retarded. "indebted to" isn't saying they're better writers, both Le Guin and Wolfe and Dunsany are better prose writers than Tolkien.

>kills himself
what the author meant with this?

I wish he wrote more poetry.

All fiction is mind poison.

Why didn't the Sneedgles just seed the feed into Chuckdor?

They maybe “better” writers but they wouldn’t be jack shit without Tolkien. Contrarianlets like you just can’t help that Grandpa Tolkien is still the King.
>Dunsany is a better prose writer than Tolkien
>your post
Pic rel.

Attached: 9BDE50DA-DD78-4178-A3B0-791B7AD228A4.jpg (659x465, 29.72K)

I'm sure you're the type of retard who reads the Bible and the Odyssey with all their chosen ones and magic and adventure and considers them high literature.

The best fantasy is absurd

cope tolkienfag

>cope tolkienfag

Attached: 00A10BB3-88DF-449A-9C91-8ECFBFB64D07.jpg (601x508, 28.31K)

>Bakker is better than Tolkien
Bakker lacks in the linguistic aspect, using either malformed broken Greek (inchoroi, Kosoter, etc.), or just throwing in some gibberish sound combinations (aghurzoi, chigra, etc.).