/dq/ - Don Quixote discussion thread

We're reading Don Quixote from 23 April to 23 May. Schedule in the first post.

Previous thread

Attached: Don_Quixote_(1955)_by_Pablo_Picasso.jpg (290x343, 20.08K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/996/996-h/996-h.htm
raptisrarebooks.com/10-of-the-most-rare-books-of-all-time/
youtube.com/watch?v=ygIfvvZ61aE&list=OLAK5uy_nG_VInf2ie1W8NnrGWgrvrHEDIlJY3jYk&index=3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>April 23rd: Start reading DQ Part I; Chapters 1-4
>April 24th: Chapters 5-8
>April 25th: Chapters 9-12
>April 26th: Chapters 13-16
>April 27th: Chapters 17-20
>April 28th: Chapters 21-24
>April 29th: Chapters 25-27
>April 30th: Chapters 28-32
>May 1st: Chapters 33-36
>May 2nd: Chapters 37-41
>May 3rd: Chapters 42-44
>May 4th: Chapters 45-48
>May 5th: Chapters 49-52; End of the first part of DQ
>May 6th: Start reading DQ Part II; Chapters 1-4
>May 7th: Chapters 4-8
>May 8th: Chapters 9-11
>May 9th: Chapters 12-15
>May 10th: Chapters 16-19
>May 11th: Chapters 20-23
>May 12th: Chapters 24-27
>May 13th: Chapters 28-31
>May 14th: Chapters 32-35
>May 15th: Chapters 36-39
>May 16th: Chapters 40-43
>May 17th: Chapters 44-47
>May 18th: Chapters 48-51
>May 19th: Chapters 52-55
>May 20th: Chapters 56-59
>May 21th: Chapters 60-63
>May 22th: Chapters 64-67
>May 23th: Chapters 68-72; End of the second part

Segs

Definitely. I can see don Quixote saying "Ha! Aha!" while swashing away.

Attached: 1_ao3tsFaq9xaCzecz_93ivg.jpg (736x407, 60.98K)

Seeing as the last thread died just as I posted I will repost.

I just read today's chapters, man I love this book. The windmills part was hilarious and I think I am going to fall in love with the sancho panza character. Left us on a cliff hanger with that basque fight.

Ireland here, I so wish we got to read Don Quixote in school. We only ever read Holes and The Boy in the Striped pajamas and harry potter, that was in primary school, we read them for years and then got to watch the movies. In secondary school (high school) I only remember reading some shitty modern book the English teacher picked up at the supermarket that week.

I can see why Gilliam wanted to make it...but I also regret that they never did it with the full MP crew because it would have been perfect.

I expected more from the windmills because of how incessantly referenced it is. It was almost more funny to me that it was just an old man running into a windmill, breaking his equipment and getting slapped away.
I'm glad that education sucks in Ireland too, makes me feel a little better as a burger.

UK fag here but I completely forgot that we read Holes in yr 7. we watched the Boy in Striped PJs but didn't read the book. bong education is also shit (i can only speak for the normal schools). we only read Of Mice and Men and the Crucible seriously

haha be british..read american books

>It was almost more funny to me that it was just an old man running into a windmill, breaking his equipment and getting slapped away
Yeah I think that is why I found it so funny as I was kinda expecting something more grand but what we got fits it so much better.

>I'm glad that education sucks in Ireland too, makes me feel a little better as a burger.
It is a crying shame, and it is still the same here as my nephew and nieces never have reading assignments for homework so I bought them a bunch of Roald Dahl books but they are never interested to read them unfortunately

Makes you wonder why the boy in pj's was pushed so much, I remember reading that book multiple times over 2-3 years and watching the movie a few times too. Why was that so important yet I had never heard of great Irish writers like Joyce/Yeats/Wilde/Beckett etc.

Quixote telling Sancho Panza about winning an island.

Attached: DQandSP.jpg (1133x1425, 322.71K)

I love these illustrations, is there a site where I can browse them as I read?

gutenberg.org/files/996/996-h/996-h.htm

Attached: c08c.jpg (1097x1405, 301.58K)

Thank you, this is great.

Based Gutenberg project, saving timeless classics from modernity and censorship.

The theme I seem to get from this book is sort of similar to the german book "Kleider machen Leute", which loosely translates to clothes make a man. I find it somewhat similar, because the protagonist sort of assumes the role of someone he is not and most people just seem to play along with it.

He is so brave and virtuous bros

Post your versions, bros. Everyone more or less on schedule? Can’t wait to read the duel. Wonder how much more shit he’ll get into later. Anyone here read it all the way thru before? Is it just a compilation of his dumbassery? Pardon my ignorance

Attached: BB8904C4-5557-4F9A-B076-9687CF783C5F.jpg (4032x3024, 3.02M)

I have the physical copy of yours, this is my first time reading it and I was expecting tales of a brave knight on his adventures but instead I am getting a schizophrenic roaming the countryside terrorizing people and I love it.

I read DQ for the first time around spring of last year and loved it; I could see myself enjoying re-experiencing it through these threads.

Spoilers but the "muh island" shit really drags down the second half by becoming a major fucking motivator/plot point for Sancho as opposed to just a goofy tall-tale like it is in the first half

Too lazy to check which version, probably one of the popular ones though.
I had low expectations as I don't typically read lit before the 19th century, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm tempted to read ahead but I'll stay on schedule for these breads

reading the Random House Vintage version that has OP's pic on the cover (pic rel). Grossman translation. enjoying the read along so far and very easy to keep up with

Attached: 41tEJ-b1BOL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (327x499, 17.29K)

I have the physical as well and just kinda switch between them at a whim. Today felt like a kindle day. I too was pleasantly surprised at the sheer hilarity of a classical work that I always imagined would have a serious tone
Poor bastard isn’t too delusional to not see thru Quixote’s schizophrenia but just delusional enough to believe he’ll get an island out of the deal.

I read that a lot of critics prefer the second part for greater depth of characterization and dialogue, at the cost of being less appealing to the masses as a comic novel.

im a lil behind, on chapter 6, but i need to finish some shit first. im right behind you brothers, wait not for the noble don quijote de la mancha!

Attached: carbonerodonquixotewindmills.jpg (1094x1152, 227.6K)

Anyone knows a list of where are all the Prince Editions of Don Quixote?
One is in Spanish National Library, another one in Washington, but for curiosity i would like to know where are the 16? left.

Norwegian here, education was fine
Weirdly we only read books in English classes, but that might just be because we had awful Norwegian teachers. We read Of Mice and Men, some Shakespeare and of course muh six gorillion striped pyjamas

The book burning scene is quite literally just Cervantes roasting chivalric tales for their writing

Si who won? Don-Chan or the Biscayan?

So*

whilst also bigging himself up in literally the least subtle way. based beyond belief

>muh six gorillion striped pyjamas
based Norwegian chad

Does this edition have footnotes?

>for he took away a good deal of its original value, which is what all who attempt to translate books of poetry into another language will do as well: no matter the care they use and the skill they show, they will never achieve the quality the verses had in their first birth.
Based Cervantes shitting on translations

I like how he said this then later talked about a great writer who translated ovid

yes and they are pretty good in my opinion

non-spanish speakers... we got too cocky

>Prince Editions
You mean the edito princeps? Since it was never produced in manuscript it's just called a first edition.
raptisrarebooks.com/10-of-the-most-rare-books-of-all-time/
>The first edition last changed hands in 1989 for $1.5 million and is not very easy to hunt down these days.

Attached: 3752171292_06242f14d2_b.jpg (1024x844, 254.12K)

Good luck.

Attached: lrdq.jpg (1188x663, 234.53K)

Based

>Everyone more or less on schedule?
Was too exhausted to read yesterday but I'm catching up no problem

I'm trying to stay ahead so I don't fall behind if some shit pops up this week. On chap 18, it keeps getting better and better.

In an example of Jungian synchronicity, I was cleaning a room that hasn't been cleaned in ~3 years and found this book on the same day the previous thread was posted. I wasn't planning on reading DQ this year but such coincidences are rather compelling.

Cover:

Attached: 20220424_221153.jpg (3215x2261, 814.82K)

oddly i also decided to read don quixote independantly and only heard about the group reading like a week after i started. truly the lord has gathered us holy knights together for this crusade against the windmills

Based beyond belief. You bros have to stick with it now. No backing out after paying tribute to Jung and the Lord.

When the enchanter turned those giants back into windmills

I felt that

Really enjoyed it so far. Hillarious how he leaves us on a cliff hanger after the fight kek

I understand that cliffhangers and allusions to a ton of different, potentially never actually written shit, are common in medieval works... but does this imply that medieval people were the biggest dorks adding fan fiction to everything?
and that Cervantes is the one to take the piss?

yes, there was an entire subgenre of fantasy in the mediveal period called alexandrian romance where they would fanfic alexander into virtually every major historical event. the battle of teutoburg? Alexander led the counterassault. the destruction of the golden dragon by daniel? nah youre mistaken my boy alex did that one.

Quixote constantly referencing tales of chivalry is giving me heavy Gregory Berrycone vibes

youtube.com/watch?v=ygIfvvZ61aE&list=OLAK5uy_nG_VInf2ie1W8NnrGWgrvrHEDIlJY3jYk&index=3
dont worry seniors, im almost caught up

Attached: 1650749330226.jpg (1280x1024, 724.88K)

I love how unnecessary the interruption was, truly /ourguy/

IMPORTANT QUESTION
>May 5th: Chapters 49-52; End of the first part of DQ
>May 6th: Start reading DQ Part II; Chapters 1-4
Are you sure that we should read the second part right after ending the first one? Wouldn't it be beneficial to have a little stop?

Maybe 10 years?

there are no breaks on this ride

There was a lot of talk the first day. What's going on now?

People usually work.

Some might be engaging similar to me, in that I'm not very good at the discussion part but reading the book while lurking the thread is good fun. You learn new things like which is cool.

To try and contribute I will say Sancho's straight man exasperation here got me the biggest laugh so far:

>“Either I am deceived, or this will be the most famous adventure ever seen, because those black shapes you see there must be, and no doubt are, enchanters who have captured some princess in that carriage, and I needs must do everything in my power to right this wrong.”

>"This will be worse than the windmills,” said Sancho. “Look, Señor, those are friars of St. Benedict, and the carriage must belong to some travelers. Look carefully, I tell you, look carefully at what you do, in case the devil is deceiving you.”

>"I have already told you, Sancho,” replied Don Quixote, “that you know very little about the subject of adventures; what I say is true, and now you will see that it is so.”

Attached: 1650891884685.webm (1400x594, 2.64M)

Got started really late because of work but I'm catching up now. I'm reading the Smollet translation and this part, for some weird reason, caught me so off guard
>When he was within a small distance of this inn, which to him seemed a castle, he drew bridle, and stopped Rocinante, in hope that some dwarf would appear upon the battlements, and signify his arrival by sound of trumpet; but, as this ceremony was not performed so soon as he expected, and his steed expressed great eagerness to be in the stable; he rode up to the gate, and observing the battered wenches before mentioned, mistook them for two beautiful maidens, or agreeable ladies, enjoying the cool breeze at the castle-gate.
I know I have the sense of humor of a prepubescent boy but I spent maybe three minutes laughing at "battered wenches" and I have no idea why I found it so funny

Attached: battered wenches.jpg (1127x459, 134.03K)

Just finished reading chapters 9-12. I was wondering, what would a 21st century Don Quixote be like?

A neo-Nazi.