/DQ/ - Don Quixote discussion thread

Tomorrow Yea Forums will read Don Quixote. Or in two hours if you follow UTC time.

If you've been thinking about reading Cervantes' magnum opus, you can join Yea Forums reading during this next month

First approximation for the schedule:

>April 23rd: Start reading DQ Part I; Chapters 1-4
>April 24th: Chapters 5-8
>April 25th: Chapters 9-12
>April 26th: Chapters 13-16
>April 27th: Chapters 17-20
>April 28th: Chapters 21-24
>April 29th: Chapters 25-27
>April 30th: Chapters 28-32
>May 1st: Chapters 33-36
>May 2nd: Chapters 37-41
>May 3rd: Chapters 42-44
>May 4th: Chapters 45-48
>May 5th: Chapters 49-52; End of the first part of DQ
>May 6th: Start reading DQ Part II; Chapters 1-4
>May 7th: Chapters 4-8
>May 8th: Chapters 9-11
>May 9th: Chapters 12-15
>May 10th: Chapters 16-19
>May 11th: Chapters 20-23
>May 12th: Chapters 24-27
>May 13th: Chapters 28-31
>May 14th: Chapters 32-35
>May 15th: Chapters 36-39
>May 16th: Chapters 40-43
>May 17th: Chapters 44-47
>May 18th: Chapters 48-51
>May 19th: Chapters 52-55
>May 20th: Chapters 56-59
>May 21th: Chapters 60-63
>May 22th: Chapters 64-67
>May 23th: Chapters 68-72; End of the second part

What translation will you read?
>strawpoll.com/polls/xVg7d2j5QZr

Attached: Don quixote and Sancho (Fernando Rey and Alfredo Landa).png (990x585, 867.01K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/files/996/996-h/996-h.htm
rae.es/sites/default/files/Don_Quijote_Vol._1_.pdf
lamarcahispanica.byu.edu/files/2012/10/Tran-1-Quixote.pdf
bdh.bne.es/bnesearch/detalle/bdh0000191489
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oh grate more white supremacist garbage books. Read Hindu literature istead m, sirs

>What translation will you read?
Spanish - Spanish (modern orthography)

Coward

>Hindu literature
Aryan supremacist trash, they even were the ones who invented racism btw.

I'm excited bros

Attached: The-Adventure-With-The-Windmills.jpg (1000x1265, 752.69K)

I know. The printed version I have at home maintains old orthography if it indicates a phonological difference with current Spanish but otherwise is cucked.

>And the first thing he did was to attempt to clean some armor that had belonged to his great-grandfathers and, stained with rust and covered with mildew, had spent many long years stored and forgotten in a corner. He did the best he could to clean and repair it, but he saw that it had a great defect, which was that instead of a full sallet helmet with an attached neckguard, there was only a simple headpiece; but he compensated for this with his industry, and out of pasteboard he fashioned a kind of half-helmet that, when attached to the headpiece, took on the appearance of a full sallet. It is true that in order to test if it was strong and could withstand a blow, he took out his sword and struck it twice, and with the first blow he undid in a moment what it had taken him a week to create; he could not help being disappointed at the ease with which he had hacked it to pieces, and to protect against that danger, he made another one, placing strips of iron on the inside so that he was satisfied with its strength; and not wanting to put it to the test again, he designated and accepted it as an extremely fine sallet.

kek
also, grossmanchads rise up

>And as our new adventurer traveled along, he talked to himself, saying: “Who can doubt that in times to come, when the true history of my famous deeds comes to light, the wise man who compiles them, when he begins to recount my first sally so early in the day, will write in this manner: ‘No sooner had rubicund Apollo spread over the face of the wide and spacious earth the golden strands of his beauteous hair, no sooner had diminutive and brighthued birds with dulcet tongues greeted in sweet, mellifluous harmony the advent of rosy dawn, who, forsaking the soft couch of her zealous consort, revealed herself to mortals through the doors and balconies of the Manchegan horizon, than the famous knight Don Quixote of La Mancha, abandoning the downy bed of idleness, mounted his famous steed, Rocinante, and commenced to ride through the ancient and illustrious countryside of Montiel.’”

Is it bad that I relate to his infinitely self-congratulatory internal monologue? This reminds me a little of Ignatius Reilly. Picaresuqe novel protagonists were the precursor to Yea Forums users

Wait till he tries to defend some whores honor. Me cago de risa.

How is Yea Forums going to do this thing? Will you just follow the schedule and shitpost here later or are you doing something else?

who drew it? it is incredible

we're reading the book, you faggot

you missed the prologue, it is very important. Maybe not the most important part but worth reading and worth discussing

Gustave Dore, he has a ton of illustrations
he also illustrated The Divine Comedy and several other classics

Attached: Don-Quixote-And-Sancho-Setting-Out.jpg (934x1200, 383.51K)

But what's the point of "Yea Forums is reading the Quixote"?
Be patient I have autism.

Why not you little queer. That's why you never leave the house and get no bitches.

I'm just asking if you're doing something else other than commenting it on 4chinks after reading the chapters.
Btw yesterday I left my home twice.

Attached: 1647907021922.jpg (845x671, 42.36K)

We're gonna discuss it.
>Be patient I have autism.
You'll enjoy this; Quixote's autistic too.

thank you, i'll check him

btw i forgot answering to your comment
>I'm excited bros
me too, it's a fantastic book

just here to say that I love this book and hope you guys have a lot of fun.

>But what's the point of "Yea Forums is reading the Quixote"?
the point is to be all on the same page so the discussion is much easier than if someone post a random thread about the book and either people didnt read it or they dont remember details

>Be patient I have autism.
dont worry, im the most patient person i know

I felt an overwhelming sadness when the women were taken aback at being called "ladies." Despite the point of the scene being the hilarity of Quixote's autism. I know it's supposed to be a joke, but I can't help feeling bad for them. Is there some grand theme where de Cervantes attempts to tackle subjects like honour and purity and innocence and morality and chastity and sexuality under the humorous surface of the scene? I don't know. I'm a midwit.
Tell me what you think.

we will discuss it when we get there

>Quixote's autistic too.
quixote isnt autistic, cervante was autistic. Autistic as fuck, 20 years for writing the book wtf

>I love this book
who doesnt?

Quixote is like a weaboo who suddenly feels the urge to go on a shounen action adventure. When he calls out to Dulcinea del Toboso he's really just fantasizing about his waifu. All his interactions he attempts to view through the lens of common manga tropes.
This book's obviously a criticsm of geeks like him.
Again, I'm a midwit () and I stopped at Chapter IV. So far this is what I gather.
I'm LOVING this, though. Quixote just like me fr fr no cap

Which translation are you guys reading? I want to be on the same page and just found out this is happening

agree, it sets the dense tone of the book. it assures you that you don’t need to get all the references and allusions in order to fully enjoy the book and establishes the work as pastiche (ironic or not) of established works. plus, the fake sonnets are funny
they’re called ‘tarts’ in my translation kek
he not only guards his faithfulness to Dulcinea but admonishes the strangers in the market who can’t repeat his public admiration for her. it’s as if you took dante’s beatrice and bring her down to the backwaters of spain.

i read the prologue, and the opening poems too. funny stuff. i love cervantes' wit. it "floods" you.

>Quixote is like a weaboo who suddenly feels the urge to go on a shounen action adventure. When he calls out to Dulcinea del Toboso he's really just fantasizing about his waifu. All his interactions he attempts to view through the lens of common manga tropes.
i know but that isn't autistic it is fucking crazy. The dulcinea passages are kino btw, I'll elaborate tomorrow or the day after

>This book's obviously a criticsm of geeks like him.
not really, it is a criticism of cavalry lit of the epoch, in chapter 6 you'll found some of them

>I'm LOVING this
that's normal, it's a masterpiece

>Quixote just like me
bad thing my friend

>I felt an overwhelming sadness when the women were taken aback at being called "ladies."

>Is there some grand theme where de Cervantes attempts to tackle subjects like honour and purity and innocence and morality and chastity and sexuality under the humorous surface of the scene?
idk if grand but he does here and there, we'll discuss in the following days
i dont understand where the sadness come from

>agree, it sets the dense tone of the book. it assures you that you don’t need to get all the references and allusions in order to fully enjoy the book and establishes the work as pastiche (ironic or not) of established works. plus, the fake sonnets are funny
not only that, it's more: it speak about itself (thing that in that period was like see an alien), he laugh at Lope de Vega, he speaks his past life, he make mistakes porpously to make fun of other writers, etc

not that sadness guy but maybe, if I remember correctly, it would have to do with the fact that Don Quixote doesn't really meet proper "ladies" (as in ladies of the court) up until the second part? before that he meets with peasants or shepherdesses or Maritornes, people who would not be too thrilled to be called high class.

>*blocks your path*
>"Halt man, and declare immediately, without hesitation or reticence that Señora Dulcelina de Toboso is the lady of these lands most possessing of beauteousness and virtue, and that to her esteemed self, all other maidens are but tavern wenches and harlots! Further, this declaration must be made regardless of whether your eyes have been granted such a delight as to sully the immaculate personage of the Señora Dulcelina, for the objectivity of her comeliness does not falter in the face of such base and mortal restrictions as that of mere sight. Should you refuse, or display hesitance in your declaration, I shall be forced to order my squire to engage you in single and valorous combat, as such a task is ill-befitting a noble knight errant such as myself."
>falls off his horse because his saddle isn't cinched properly
>bumps into a tree and knocks himself out because he can't see for the basin on his head

what do?

Attached: dq.png (596x530, 236.51K)

is pig a bad word in spanish? also poor Andrés

>bad thing my friend
but of course. i'm being facetious!

>not really, it is a criticism of cavalry lit of the epoch, in chapter 6 you'll found some of them
i want to clarify my statement— i didn't mean that the book's central point was criticizing fans of cavalry lit. i meant exactly what you said. forgive me. i haven't slept in a while

>who drew it?
Nobody, it's an engraving.

'cerdo' in Spanish is an insult for dirty people or people that don't behave properly.
But, also, 'marrano' is a synonym that was used to refer to jewish people.
idk which one is used

This is the best idea Yea Forums has had in a long time. Count me in. I will be reading the Ormsby translation. Modern translators have a habit of "fixing problematic words". I'll be using this version from project gutenberg:

gutenberg.org/files/996/996-h/996-h.htm

I see quite a few votes for the more modern translations. Anyone care to explain their decision?

Donkey shot haha

can anyone confirm whether or not that the word "donkey" has any origin or influence with Don Quixote?

yeah, he writes 'Estaban acaso a la puerta dos mujeres mozas, destas que llaman del partido' sorry i cant pic relate now but you can trust me. That means 'There were two young women on the door, that of who are called del partido'. Del partido means 'deshonestas vagabundas' ie 'vagabond untrustworthy'. Now you interpret what you want

I think most people just look up online which translation people think is the best and pick that. Grossman seems to be the most popular one online.

xd he's the fucking boss

i think it’s ‘puercos’ in the original

Attached: 65CAA14E-0D99-48EA-A886-29F244DAE9E9.jpg (828x180, 107.8K)

depends on the context, but mostly yeah. If the exact word that is being translated is "marrano", its definetly an anti-semitic slur, thats for sure.

He is basically talking about the animal, the pigs that bacon comes from. But he is cheeky about the double meaning and makes little anotation just to make the reader laugh a bit.

>is pig a bad word in spanish?
pig is cerdo or puerco and means filthy. You ask it because of 'una manada de puercos -que, sin perdón, así se llaman- tocó un cuerno' what means 'a herd of pigs -that, without apology, that's their name- play a horn'. Maybe play isnt the proper word but you understand what it means. The explanation for that is that in spain in that period when you was about to say a filthy word you sholud say 'con perdón' before (i think you could say it afterwards), that means 'apologizing'.

>also poor Andrés
i dont remember who is andres, is the innkeeper?

>i meant exactly what you said. forgive me. i haven't slept in a while
np

neither, it is used puerco (at least in my version), as i showed here but puerco, cerdo, marrano and guarro are literally the same thing, pig

Andrés is the peasant sheep farmer who got whipped by his master and he didn’t get any help from Don Quixote because he just takes his master’s word. I think he reappears in a later chapter.

>This is the best idea Yea Forums has had in a long time.
agree

>Count me in
we're happy to have you

>Anyone care to explain their decision?
idk im reading the very first original edition of 1605

Oh, weird. I just started reading Don Quixote. It's been on my shelf for ages. I read it when I was in high school but I forgot almost everything and remember it being boring and forcing myself to read. I'm returning to it after reading War and Peace recently.

I was surprised at how early the windmill episode is. I'm still waiting for the breathtaking literary depth, though. Maybe I should just get a Spanish edition, I'm passably fluent in reading Spanish...

Marrano was reserved for the worst filth. Literally especially filthy pigs but also could refer to animals people etc. And of course the worst swine crypto-jews. Jews who nominally had converted to Christianity but still still kept their blood covenant with Yahweh.

oh yeah i remember now

>idk im reading the very first original edition of 1605
Did you find it online?

Grossman sisters are we reading the prologue and the sonnet?

Yes because I like Rocinante and that shit is funny.

i have it phisically but i guess it can be found. Maybe that's good rae.es/sites/default/files/Don_Quijote_Vol._1_.pdf i didnt chechk it word by word

of course, that's canon

Here's a paper someone wrote comparing the Ormsby and Grossman translations. He goes chapter by chapter with original text and the two translations side by side.

*link lamarcahispanica.byu.edu/files/2012/10/Tran-1-Quixote.pdf

Why are modern covers so horrible?

Attached: .jpg (820x1257, 96.58K)

because they think they are artist but they are...i wont say what they are

If someone is interested, I found this, which is a scanned version from some old edition (1617 it seems)
>bdh.bne.es/bnesearch/detalle/bdh0000191489
Not comfy enough to read it directly from there but good enough to compare stuff if you're reading a modern edition imo.

i've got this Grossman version which is quite inoffensive

Attached: 41tEJ-b1BOL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (327x499, 17.29K)

>grossmanchads
A modern English translation by a fat jewish woman. Nothing chad about that.

Here's my cover.

Attached: 20220422_183744.jpg (1512x1897, 864.4K)

>Out of focus picture of a helm
Almost feels like neural blender. Maybe companies don't even have humans doing their covers anymore. Just feed a few keywords into an algorithm.

I was wary of that myself.

based cover

Does anyone know which translation(s) Terry Gilliam prefers?

bros, do I read the introduction? I have the Penguin Classics edition

Yeah the Heritage Press is (was) based

Attached: 20220422_184623.jpg (2016x1512, 784.07K)

no, start with the prologue