Clothbound, hardcover, or paperback?

clothbound, hardcover, or paperback?

Attached: EE5A1A7B-8F66-4425-A405-40D17CE7924C.jpg (1024x1024, 454.16K)

yes, yes, no

This.

yes, no, yes

This, this

none, i don't read

no, yes, yes

Clothbound is hardcover
And I will never purchase a paperback

ugh, you bougie fuck

i like clothbound and paperback. not a fan of the design work on typical hardcovers, as i like them plain.

give me mass market paperback any day, that's my preference.

I dont hate paperback but I will go out of my way to get hard instead

Clothbound and hardcover for books large enough they'd get a broken spine if they were paperback. Only reason I don't skip paperback altogether is because money.

this one is the goat, I don't know the name for it. it's paperback, but it has a fold. they're pretty, practical, nice to the touch, they don't get ruined and are not bothersome to read.

Attached: foto_2.jpg (1000x667, 245.1K)

They’re called French flaps

Hardcover is for pseuds who like the aesthetics of a bookshelf more than actually reading. Just get a paperback if you need a physical version so badly.

yeah, they're pretty much omnipresent where I'm from, every publisher uses them. paperback are just called pocket books and they're cheap and use poor paper, not a good option.
the goat aesthetic choice is a hardcover, but without the spine. they're extremely beautiful and a pleasure to read because they open all the way naturally. unfortunately they're very expensive.

Attached: ldh.jpg (545x352, 81.19K)

If you are poor then books were never truly intended for you. You are compensating being born into a lower class by "putting in the work".

Full or half leather.

Parchment is where it's at.

Attached: most comfy binding and nice to the touch.jpg (2784x2657, 1.41M)

This. I have paperbacks I almost don't want to read because I know they'll come away from it with a warped spine.

>the goat aesthetic choice is a hardcover, but without the spin
To me they look like damaged books. I've seen hipster bookstores that seem to love this aesthetic but it's very uncanny to me.

I guess it only works for some people. it has a secondary effect, they look so fragile that the person handling them has extreme care, so they never get ruined.

Leather.

I'm in the process of trying to digitise my shelf so I can unload a bunch of crap to get more hardcovers of books I actually like

>This is what pseuds actually believe

Read a book, worker boi.

Attached: pierre-bourdieu-sociology.jpg (443x657, 67.84K)

Based
Based
Unfathomably based
Irredeemably cringe
absolutely plebian

Hardcover = leatherbound > cloth > tradeback > ereader > audiobooks > not reading > literal shit > mass market paperback
This is canon and irrefutable

Attached: MobyDickCollage.jpg (2880x2880, 978.25K)

Leather

>doesn't include parchment like
>probably hasn't even held parchment bindings in his life

I haven't, actually, so I can't fairly rate it. Where would you slide it into the tierlist? What feels good about parchment?

No worries, I was just being a bit unfriendly. It's probably a somewhat rarer binding. Animal skin parchment can be really nice up to really nasty depending on well it has survived through the ages. Paper parchment on the other hand is durable and very sturdy but not as rigid as carton. The surface is smooth and silky, very nice to the touch, actually. All my parchment paper books are from the early 1900s. Dunno if it was just some kind of fad back then or if there have been publishers using this kind of material in more recent times.

>absolutely plebian
that's shit all vanity. read for its own sake, you daft woman.

Have a 2, cheap copy for reading and a rare for investing

>blocks your path

Attached: Kobo_EReaders_3LW4046778_HeroSquare-ee98c22cc89447f5aca151fa289af650.jpg (1500x1500, 227.79K)

*accidentally steps on it*
Oh, sorry ;')

fat fuck, i'm taking you to small claims court

yes

The most important thing is that the book is bound with sewn signatures, and either Smyth Sewn, or sewn using another durable method such as the sewing method used in the Incunabula period, in places like Venice.
Sewn paperbacks are acceptable.
This is how books in France used to be sold( or as separate folded signatures) so that the purchaser could then take the books to his bookbinder, and have the books bound as he pleased.
With a sewn paperback, it is fully possible to have the book bound in hardcover of your choice later, as still wind up with a durable book.
Also, book block edges should be trimmed smooth, with either a flat or concave edge opposite the sewn spine. Deckled edges are annoying and attract dust.
Gilded or dyed page edges are nice, but not absolutely necessary.
Paper should preferably be a linen and/or cotton mix, but should definitely be acid free or acid buffered.
A ribbon page marker or more than one is also a nice feature.

stolen

That cover for The Odyssey looks pretty comfy.

Attached: A1wdevGISWL.jpg (1518x2293, 1.17M)

What if you like both

Your picrel shows one of the kitschiest editions of MD.

>What feels good about parchment?
It feels like skin. Not in a creepy way, but in a comfy smooth way, like if a qt sweatless girl loved you and touched your fingertips.

>clothbound
Feels nice, but I haven't handled many in my life.
>hardcover
Yes, please.
>paperback
Beggars can't be choosers, it's an okay choice when you really want the book.

based and hearnpilled. A fellow man of taste. Unironically.

Just read the fucking words on the page.

>niggerizes your libations.

Looks nice, but this edition isn’t so great. The cloth feels cheap, the paper is thin yet stiff, and the pages are glued not sewn. I was very disappointed when I first held one.

I like the set
Beware though, the paint on the cover wears off and smears if you so much as breathe on it
I don't really care as long as the spine is clean

Attached: IMG_20220422_091644.jpg (4608x3456, 3.71M)

Paperbacks, of course.

Attached: Hot Pants Karen.jpg (1600x1200, 362.31K)

funkopop, overpriced horse shit, actual book

Lmao what if the only format the book came in is paperback?

Paperbacks or whatever the library has because I'm poor

I love all books. Every single one. From 100 dollar hand bound special editions to 5 dollar humble print-on-demands. All formats have their redemptions. Hardcovers are study, dignified, and traditional. Paperbacks are affordable, unpretentious, and wieldy, like a modern day version of a scroll or a wax tablet.

I love books so much it's unreal

If hardcovers are available for non extortionate prices i'll always choose them, cloth is OK, paperback is OK too, it's more about the quality of the printing than how the book is bound

Whatever's cheapest. I want to read the book, not oggle it on the shelf like some reddit tier consoooomer.

Books are the only acceptable consooomer collectables.

Hardback is obviously best but its not worth compromising on the contents when looking for a certain translation.

>read for its own sake
Cringe. Soulless "muh utility is all that matters" plebian-fag's will never understand art. Kill yourself philistine.

>Hardcover = leatherbound
morocco > calf > cloth > paper (as in paper bound hardcover boards, not paperback)

I'm not sure what it is but i really enjoy reading mass market paperbacks. I don't have to be careful with them and i can lay down and read them. I hate keeping them on the shelf though so I'll usually just buy a nice leather edition or hardcover instead if it's cheap enough. If there aren't any cheap options then I'll just buy a mass market and read that. If I really enjoyed the book then I'll donate the paperback and buy a nicer hardcover. Anyone else do this or do I just have autism?

You forgot to mention softcover, which is what I prefer.