I am convinced that only women and retards actually write in their books...

I am convinced that only women and retards actually write in their books. Most reasonable and intelligent people realize that it is perfectly sufficient to use a separate notebook to write down your thoughts. Case in point: the mouthbreather who previously owned the copy of Faulkner's short stories that I just bought

Attached: image444.jpg (2016x1512, 1.23M)

more commentary from our friend the retard
also, the fact that he/she wrote this in pen provides more evidence for the fact that this person was not very intelligent

Attached: image222.jpg (2016x1512, 988.14K)

Agreed op, the only notes I've found are CLEARLY by women or grad students struggling with the text; the struggle I can appreciate, the anti-witticisms of spiritual niggers I cannot. I write all notes and quotes in a separate notebook, if only for cleanliness.

it'd be ok if i could at least understand the writing

Also, my copy of the Odyssey came with the previous owner's notes as well. However, judging by the handwriting and the nature of these annotations, I have deduced that the previous owner was, in fact, a girl, with there being a very high possibility that it might have, indeed, been a *cute* girl. You can never tell with these kinds of things however

Attached: image3.jpg (2016x1512, 1.28M)

They both (retards and women) don't have respect for the books, we should exterminate them all.
Nah I was joking just the retards until we can make lots of quality babies without women

As cute as she might have been, alas, she was still a midwit

Attached: image0.jpg (2016x1512, 1.12M)

Why do you take notes when reading books? If you can't internalize it in one go then it's not a match for your soul

Notes in fiction seem superfluous, but notes in serious works seem, at the lease excusable. I wouldn't judge the scribblings and doodles of students too harshly, but lit majors get the stake.

>Sage
Not a tripfag I swear

I like having notes directly in the book but I write on a sticky note and then put that on the page
writing on the book itself is fucked up

Looks like Newton was retarded

Attached: isaac_newton-marginalia.jpg (500x460, 257.31K)

he was insane. minor difference

He was a virgin. That's even worse.

With handwriting like that I'd tend to agree

and so was David Foster Wallace, and Vladimir Nabokov...

Attached: Wallace_Books_Williamson_002_large.jpg (668x550, 161.92K)

And Melville

Attached: Herman-Melville-Marginalia-1.jpg (1200x978, 158.3K)

KEK

Melvillebros....is it over?

>tfw my complete shakespeare is written in
>she's a complete midwit, the ace in field for annoying 'educated' young feminist
>eyes instantly dart to her writing
>constantly writing how misogynistic everything is
HELP

There is only one final solution

Attached: hitler_youth_burning_books.jpg (1072x720, 156.73K)

All the annotations I've come across in used books myself are baffling, like "Why did they even write this?" type remarks. But the act of annotating itself isn't the problem. Most people are simply reading at a low level compared to someone more skilled, so their observations will be mundane and immediate reactions to whatever's on the page. You'll find that a very small fraction of humans, like less than 10%, can actually do analysis. The other 90% merely summarize.

And Keats

Attached: ParadiseLost_Keats2-a-1024x833.jpg (1024x833, 175.97K)

This is Coleridge. Here's what he wrote:

This Play, which is Shakespeare’s throughout, is to me the most painful, say rather the only painful part of his genuine works. The comic and tragic parts equally border on the wanton, the one disgusting, the other horrible; and the pardon and marriage of Angelo not merely baffles the strong indignant claim of Justice (for cruelty, with lust and damnable Baseness, cannot be forgiven, because we cannot conceive them as being morally repented of) but it is likewise degrading to the character of Woman. Beaumont and Fletcher, who can follow Shakespeare in his errors only, have presented a still worse, because more loathsome and contradictory instance of the same kind in his Night-Walker, in the marriage of Alathe to Algripe. Of the counterbalancing Beauties of to Measure for Measure, I need say nothing; for I have already said, that it is Shakespeare’s throughout. S. T. Coleridge

Attached: coleridgeshakespeare-tl.jpg (369x640, 112.45K)

There's nothing inherently wrong with taking notes in the margins of a book you own, but I can understand shitting on people (typically women) who write nothing of value in their books

My handwritting is better than that and I'm male.

My stance has always been the same. Smart and respectable people may write in their books, but I consider it uncouth or wrong to ruin a perfectly good book with your own text. The page is designed for only the author's text, nothing else.

Especially if it's an expensive hardback. Literally defacing your own property

Scribbling annotations on a borrowed book is one of the most inconsiderate things a person can do.
Most annotations are written primarily for the sake of assisting the vandal in some sort of external objective. Like an exam, a literary critique, or an essay (god forbid a comparative one). By the vary nature of being external, all of said annotations are extremely susceptible to either personal bias, begging the question, or indiscriminate emphasis inappropriate to anybody other than the vandal themselves. Most of the time it's all three.

The only exceptions are summary-type annotations, in which case it still takes a whole lot of insolence to
1. assume that your summary points are all correct and comprehensive, and
2. assume that your summary points are actually nontrivial enough to explicitly state by deliberately vandalizing the book.
Not to mention preventing any and all future annotations from ever being written in those same spaces (a common consequence of writing with a pen).

How the hell could someone ever justify doing this shit?
Same type of shitty people who piss all over the toilet seat in public bathrooms. Those people aren't even that bad in comparison, because at least the piss isn't permanent and can be wiped off.
Not so with annotations.

>not keeping your notes in your head
ngmi

Attached: 1648104159139.jpg (657x527, 33.23K)

Get out of my board

Attached: 12434300.jpg (200x200, 7.96K)

I used to dissect texts with annotations, paragraph by paragraph. But now I just underline good prose when I find it.

Every time I see a word I don't understand I rip out the page and flush it down the toilet

Holy based.

This girl is retarded. Straight men are dellusional

Seriously stop this shit dude

Attached: Whenpeoplepostsidewayspics.png (870x1000, 412.68K)

I write down notes for whatever I'm reading in an unruled hardback notebook, along with outlines for my writing project and sketches.

It's way better than being a retard sullying the books you're reading and is also a way more intuitive way of tracking your intellectual growth and what you were thinking at a certain times and how your curiosity/thought has subtly changed. from month to month/year to year.

Man FUCK I read How To Read because I'm a bumbling retard and decided to try out some of its advice on my copy of Brother's Karamazov like a bumbling retard and now like 1/16 of the book is covered in highlighter and I regret it immensely I THOUGHT IT WOULD HELP ME LEARN SHIT OR SOMETHING!! Now I used a notebook, of course

It's phoneposting, images get flipped 90 degrees sometimes for no reason

it is better this way, you should do it every fucking time, seriously

Why is why I only buy new books.

Just the idea of using a used book with notes and underlined sentences makes me feel… dirty. Its just like fucking a woman who isnt virgin. Someone already soiled the text and your thoughts.

My ex-gf lent me her copy of the Book of Mormon while we were dating. It was chock-full with notes and cringy shit like "You go, Zebediah!" and weird comments directly addressing the characters as if they were real people
Didn't even give it a quick read. Just closed it and told her I read a little

Summary is a part of analysis

That's why he qualified it with "merely."

>BAPTISM OMG
What's the term for this? Looking for some secret meaning and symbolism where there are none.

He's getting fucked with because Poisedon is pissed he stabbed his son in the eye, I don't think Homer is trying to say much more than that

gay

The only intelligent readers are those who read with pen in hand

Cope faggot

(this is never the case)

i consider writing in books to be a collaborative artistic endeavor between the author and student (myself). books are not sacrosanct - they are meant to be used and their knowledge absorbed. i am for scribbling in margins, highlighting, ripping out pages, and all other forms of 'destruction'. it shows true dedication and a passion for the text

It's not a connection of one concept (Odysseus fucked with Poseidon) to another concept (Christian baptism) as though the former were a symbol for the latter, but the recognition that the two emerge from the same process - an intense event affecting a subject so that the subject post-affection is distinct from the subject pre-affection.

But there's nothing distinct about Odysseus before and after that event except he's covered in brine

you should see my mein kampf booknotes

patrician af
have a (You)

unfortunately

your thoughts are already soiled by reading

I'm writing in my Greek copy of the Odyssey to make notes for later. There are scribes that write commentaries in the margins of manuscripts. This is called marginalia.

NOBODY TELL OP ABOUT BALZAC, he won't survive the news

Attached: balzac_ma1036.jpg (2108x2500, 1.6M)

I have written in my own books, I don't anymore. What really gets me is how many of my university's library books have writing inside them. You basically can't find one that doesn't.

really it's not that hard bro. let me spell it out for you:

convert image444.jpg -rotate 90 -white-threshold 50% -monochrome -deskew 40% -fuzz 30% -trim op_is_a_fucking_faggot.jpg

Attached: 1639975892355.jpg (1401x852, 336.71K)

Says the guy with a shelf full of books featuring scribbles of cocks.

this counts for a thread?
holy jesus people