/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Inner Sanctum Edition

Previous Thread:>Recommended reading charts (Look here before asking for vague recs)
mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ

>Archive
>>>>warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg

>Goodreads
goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg

>A link to the ultimate colossal science fiction and fantasy collection torrent
>Discord
Never going to be created.

Attached: __original_drawn_by_kmydoodler__cf4780764df50b3fc4e04979e8934e77.jpg (1499x914, 430.57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

whetstonemag.blogspot.com/p/issues.html
youtube.com/watch?v=iUUSYt1Myd8
youtube.com/watch?v=CynSnZ0e2s4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are you guys currently or planning on reading?

Going to be honest, I’ve been pretty mixed about Tyrion’s chapters and chapter five is no different. Though I am surprised he was the first to figure out that there were people blaming him for things he didn’t do, unlike Catelyn. Also, pretty ballsy of him to demand a trial by combat. So there’s that.

Attached: MKomarck_TyrionSkyCells.jpg (526x521, 67.11K)

thoughts

Attached: The-Illustrated-Man.png (700x1056, 1.21M)

I am reading Lies of Locke Lamora
Pretty interesting so far, but I'm only on chapter 3

I'm rewatching some classics. I'm gonna head to the used book store tomorrow and see if I can scrounge up any pulpy 80s cyberpunk.

Attached: cybercity.jpg (714x480, 41.2K)

Read half of Gardens of the Moon, will the book ever stop throwing new characters at me and actually do something with them?

I have started reading The Golden Age by John C Wright. I tried to read it once before but was getting filtered by the the words and terms he uses. However this time around I went into it excpecting the wording to be the way it is and just accept it and move on, and I have found that has worked well.

As of right now im a little confused on some things, however I am really liking the way he describes the perspectives of different characters. Since each charecter can alter their perspective of reality in any way they choose, its fun to visualize what they are expiriencing. Aswell as seeing the mystery of how society functions and how the charecter ties in with that mystery.

even 5 years ago I could relate to most anime but these days almost every show feels alien to me, I suppose they create anime for current young generation and I cannot imagine what kind of young people they must be to enjoy trash that is coming out of anime industry in current year

It's a great book, just remember not to read the continuation, it's it's only decent, the third book is an absolute garbage that makes the two previous books retroactively worse. Seriously, don't. Just treat it as self-contained story, you don't need more.

Liberal, yet Wildbow literally starts Worm with the MC talking how the teacher looks like a transexual, meaning ugly. And then the author has the mc be his mouth-piece for talking about how drugs, even marihuana, are bad. Not that it's something inherently bad, but calling Wildbow a liberal is a bit much.

Although yeah, Ward shit about therapy etc. was wild. But almost no one liked it, and Wildbow said something in the post-story blog retrospection that it didn't go well.

Has anyone read oriental fantasy?
You know, Journey to the West, the list goes on

I never said liberal. He's just way too obsessed with psychiatry to not be involved with it personally. He doesn't seem to understand how intensely repulsive his characters are even though he made them like that on purpose.
There's a point where something stops being an endearing weakness and becomes a horrible burden, like that meme about combining all the quirky anime girl traits they could think of and winding up with a deaf-mute quadriplegic.

what happened to all my dying earth posters?
anyone working on any of this stuff?

Attached: dyingearthcorechart2.0.png (968x2600, 1.41M)

unironically no. something i wish someone told me before i started malazan is that things dont really come to a natural conclusion and characters have such poor personalities that it isnt very enjoyable. he keeps adding and adding and none of it comes to anything
something that a lot of people trying to write fantasy/sci fi shit is that your story ultimately has to have a point, it can just be a bunch of characters running around in your d&d campaign, you should be saying something or exploring themes. and characterization is ALWAYS more important than worldbuilding

Post Christian /sffg/ on this day of our Lord's Resurrection.

Attached: 1621030493531.jpg (1104x1182, 138.77K)

Im currently reading „The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories“ by Gene Wolfe. I finished reading the story Tracking Song and though I have many questions I loved it. One of my favorites definitely. Next I’ll read Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe. I love his books so damn much.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Zothique? For some reason I can’t find anything.

I gave up 1/4 of the way through GotM because I was fucking lost, but I was stubborn and decided to finish it even if I hated every page.

The end was fantastic and fun as shit to read. That book made me feel things I'd never felt in fantasy/literature before, it stirred something in me. Book 2 was so much fucking easier to read and I could actually follow it. Book 3 was when things started to get juicy, holy fucking shit MoI was great. That prologue.

Its on zlib

Ice and Fire plot twist crackpot theory:

Daenerys and Aegon have both been told the same lie by different parties. In Daenerys case, it is from Illyrio, in Aegon's case it is from Varys. Both have been raised believing they are Targaryens, while their identities and memories have been questioned by other people including themselves. Illyrio, and Varys seem to be reaching for the same goal but probably have a bet on whether it will be Aegon, or Daenerys who reaches it first.

Further crackpot theory: Everybody thinks Tommen is easy to control, and manipulate because he is really young and quite passive compared to how savage, and sadist Jeoffrey was. In reality I think Tommen is actually doing the opposite, and is some sort of grand master manipulator having everyone under his thumb. This will be revealed in Winds.

Personally, I found the whole book to be somewhat disjointed and it never came together. This includes the ending.

>regularly browse these threads
>haven't ever read sci-fi or fantasy books
>have a long list of books i'm interested in but will likely never read
Why am I like this?

A Canticle for Leibowitz is my favorite but at the moment I'm reading pic related. It's about a Jesuit priest who goes on a first contact mission and is the only one to come back to Earth to tell the tale. I think it's great so far.

Attached: theSparrow.jpg (250x371, 44.41K)

We're all like this, user. We would all like to be able to do more than we are currently doing.
>That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.
>― Gene Wolfe, The Claw of the Conciliator

Read through some of this while at work. I like the idea of amateur publishers trying to revitalize pulp storytelling, but they always seem to be missing some element or other that made the older stories work. A lot of writers don't seem to grasp just how the structure of short fiction/pulp writing works. Too often, the stories feel incomplete, like they wrote a writing exercise, or just padded out a story outline. One story in particular in this was like three pages, detailing some well liked gentleman with a wife and kids, and they move into an old house, the guy goes insane and enacts a murder-suicide, and wouldn't you know it? That's the third time that's happened in that house. That's a pretty basic set up, yet that's the story. Granted this is the first issue and contains novice writers, but I really hope writers try to be more daring in later issues.

Attached: 71gpFUvwcmL_1_1024x.jpg (1000x1545, 228.18K)

whetstonemag.blogspot.com/p/issues.html
Try this magazine, user. It's free and there's some real gems.

How much of this is smut?

Not enough of it.

You unironically have a few hundred more characters to get to know in the next books. It's my favorite series but it's not for everyone

Stick with it. Its worth it.

It’s a few hundred more characters and they are basically all the exact same. I can’t even get myself to finish the last book of the series because I started to hate it so much.

>female sidekick fights against society's norms or is a rebel against traditions
>female sidekick is hot headed and can't shut the fuck up
Why are these so common?

Absurd statement. Are you conflating authorial voice with character personality?

hack writers who can't write women like people and think they have to be tropes

Reading the wikipedia synopsis for this and its sequel:
The Sparrow sounds like a super edgy fedora-tipping fetish fap-fiction for disgusting neckbeards like GRRM
The Children of God sounds like cringy saccharine fundie preaching for kids like Veggie-Tales
what a whiplash

>female sidekick sucks the male hero's penis whenever he demands it
Write it, user. Write it for all of us.

sounds like your parents didn't pay enough attention to you when you were a child. I hope you find inner peace, user.

The japs do this all the time and look how much people hate self insert LN shit

Trying to make an asian webnovel reading chart, what other series should I add.

(More than 50 Chapters)
Legendary:
Lord of Mysteries

Best:
Otome Game no Heroine de Saikyou Survival
The Legend of Sun Knight
Ascendance of a Bookworm
Reverend Insanity
Good:
Kumo Desu ga, Nani Ka
The Villainous Daughter's Butler ~I Raised Her to be Very Cute
The Regressed Demon Lord is Kind
I Was a Sword When I Reincarnated
Keyboard Immortal
The Undead King of the Palace of Darkness

Decent:
Coiling Dragon
Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
I Got a Fake Job at the Academy
Silent Witch
The Novel's Extra
Father, I Won't DO Anything
Little Tyrant Doesn't Want to Meet with a Bad End
The Darkness Was Comfortable for Me
The Demon Prince goes to the Academy

No need to be this long, just list Mother of Learning, Lord of Mysteries and maybe RI if you like giga edgy autist

>Reading the wikipedia synopsis for this
0/10
Even diagnosed retards know not to do this.

Martial World
Human Emperor

Mother of learning is terrible

I didn't list any western webnovels because they are all shit except MoL which would go under good but thats all really. If I did I would have to add another tier under decent

Just started reading this and it's downright amazing. I don't know how Wolfe does it.

Attached: 514AnZR76tL._AC_SY780_.jpg (296x500, 27.26K)

I gave up halfway through the second book for the same reason. I might pick it up again since there is cool stuff happening but I started to feel tedious reading it.

Io is one of the best female characters I've read

Desolate Era.
The Legendary Mechanic.
Warlock in a Magus World.

Jesus fucking christ can he shut up about religion
At least stop beating around the bush and get to the point, I get that you're saving le big epic revelation for the end of the book but I already can't give a single fuck
You're mormon, we get it

Attached: 1650266382559.jpg (1400x2257, 318.04K)

Give recs on good scifi/fantasy for coomers pl0x

Is this man writing the new bible? I am reading third book in the stormlight archives and he's literally writing kind of fantasy that most mythologies tend to fall in to some extent. Bigger then life in every sense. He's describing various virtues in depth, explains each of his point through various stories then goes in depth as to how to follow these ideals correctly. Finally he shows how this would benefit one and everyone. Is this okay?

This guy was a missionary for Mormon church and seems like to really believe what's he's writing. I've seen him talk about how he decided to write even if he never succeeded. He claims he'd been writing for a long time at that point and wasn't getting anywhere. But somehow it felt right to write even if he was unsuccessful. First ideal of his religion seems to be "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." It is one of more discussed ideas so far. And what seems interesting to me is how it's the first one and it is shared across hierarchies as it is there to safeguard rest of the ideals just like the first amendment.

On top of this he redefines what we consider reality like many eastern religions. He has lived in Asia if I'm remembering correctly. Quantum physics is part of his magic. Does he think he's a prophet or is it just me?

Attached: 1646919181317.jpg (700x915, 210.7K)

thoughts on Last Herald Mage trilogy? songs got me really interested in it
youtube.com/watch?v=iUUSYt1Myd8
youtube.com/watch?v=CynSnZ0e2s4

Attached: https _winteriscoming.net_files_2021_08_Valdemar-Universe-books.jpg (2000x1125, 268.33K)

hero of the ages is unironically kino, made slogging through the 2nd book worth it

Based on what I read in other Mercedes books, it's probably horny as fuck. No way there isn't at least a fw sex scenes. I remember being younger and checking the internet for the author's page, seeing an older, unattractive woman being the person behind the sex scenes made me a bit cringe very hard. Only beautiful people should be allowed to write lewd things, inshallah

This. It's a very poorly written book. You can easily tell it's just some dumb sperg detailing their ttrpg setting and nothing more, instead of actually telling a story.

>unironically kino
Love it when plebs filter themselves so you know not to waste time reading further.

i know there was a gay ntr scene in it and an incest dungeon rape in another book but how detailed is it? is it just mentioned or in detail?

I read one herold trilogy and the first book of another, and there were numerous sex scenes, one of them even had guy fucking a depressed hot catgirl (no joke) outdoors, who was also sex toy for her master earlier. Fantasy written by women tends to be kinky as fuck, seriously.

I've wanted to read that series for ages

Has anyone here read this?
I'm currently halfway.
Is pretty good although the first 100 pages are mostly exposition dumps

I've read a whole lot of nothing desu.