What are you currently reading?

What are you currently reading?

Attached: Jez.jpg (1280x720, 67.83K)

Sheepfarmer's daughter. Plan to read the trilogy. I know for a fact I read it as a child but I was too young and retarded to really absorb it so it's like reading it for the first time again which is definitely comfortable.

Attached: 19173947.jpg (284x475, 41.27K)

>wife gets pregnant, starts craving fresh milk and meat, dreams about fresh food
>husband says his wife wanting more than the customary dried fish and coffee and sugar must be an indication of a heart problem
are Icelandic people really like this?

Attached: Gente-Independente.jpg (400x600, 38.46K)

I'm reading Walter Scott's novels in order, currently on picrel, which is the best so far.
The main character is an antique book collector, an autist with an obnoxious personality, a Yea Forumsfag basically (except he reads and isn't Indian), I enjoyed this description of his book buying adventures:
>These little Elzevirs are the memoranda and trophies of many a walk by night and morning through the Cowgate, the Canongate, the Bow, St. Marys Wynd,—wherever, in fine, there were to be found brokers and trokers, those miscellaneous dealers in things rare and curious. How often have I stood haggling on a halfpenny, lest, by a too ready acquiescence in the dealer's first price, he should be led to suspect the value I set upon the article!—how have I trembled, lest some passing stranger should chop in between me and the prize, and regarded each poor student of divinity that stopped to turn over the books at the stall, as a rival amateur, or prowling bookseller in disguise!—And then, Mr. Lovel, the sly satisfaction with which one pays the consideration, and pockets the article, affecting a cold indifference, while the hand is trembling with pleasure!—Then to dazzle the eyes of our wealthier and emulous rivals by showing them such a treasure as this” (displaying a little black smoked book about the size of a primer); “to enjoy their surprise and envy, shrouding meanwhile, under a veil of mysterious consciousness, our own superior knowledge and dexterity these, my young friend, these are the white moments of life, that repay the toil, and pains, and sedulous attention, which our profession, above all others, so peculiarly demands!”
There's also a funny bit that reminded me of interactions on Yea Forums where the Antiquary has dinner with his one and only friend, who shares his obsession about history and literature, but naturally they can't help but contradict each other over the most minute things which leads to full on verbal chimping and rage quitting

Attached: 0199555710.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg (329x500, 33.66K)

mao was the GOAT at killing other chinese niggas

Attached: 7224541A-992C-4D5E-B7A9-76D389C62C8A.jpg (200x308, 31.38K)

Attached: file.png (389x550, 194.56K)

Only 40 pages in. Haven't seen it talked about. Feels very underrated

Attached: 42299134-9089-4A2F-B7DF-C311232C5C8E_4_5005_c.jpg (314x500, 120.4K)

Deuteronomy. Its fascinating.

Believe it or not I am reading it right now. And yes I bought it because of Jeremy

Attached: Mr._Nice_(book).jpg (220x336, 20.15K)

Anti-oedipus

Petersburg by Bely, Furor and Mystery by Rene Char, and Mrs. Dalloway.

Petersburg is really cool, too bad I don't know the context and I'm too retarded/mentally checked out most of the time when I'm reading to make a lot of the probably important connections, not to mention the historical-context-dependent stuff, but it's still pretty cool and there's fun concepts and fun aesthetics and character dynamics and pretty descriptions.

The German Ideology by Marx & Engels. I've read Kant's critiques, Hegel's Phenomenology and both Logics, Stirner, and all three volumes of Capital. This is the first work by Marx that has actually got me turning pages like it's a fucking thriller, I'm really enjoying it. Even as a longtime Marxfag who has marinated in the dot-point versions of ideas like "the ruling ideas are the ideas of the ruling class", the stark OG approach of Marx to the origin of ideas/ideology is really fascinating, and I think it provides a really good pre-refutation of later Marxist trends (Frankfurt school, Situationists, Marcuse) that lean too heavily on "it's your ideas that keep you oppressed, just free your cock and your brain will follow, it's all in your head maaaan just ditch your hangups" rubbish.

I was in the National Gallery of Australia the other day, and I read some shitty sentence in one of those art blurbs on the wall next to an art, and it said something like "the artist is commenting on the violence of the capitalist gaze" and I had a very profound moment of realisation about how empty that statement is, it's not the capitalist gaze that's violent, there's no such thing as a capitalist gaze, it's the regular old violence of capitalism that is the violent bit, you can't just wish that away by commenting on shit and getting it hung in a national gallery.

As for the others, let's see... Furor and Mystery is kinda word salad a lot of the time but he does go into his poetic theory semi-explicitly in one section; he is into Heraclitus and lots of contradiction, much like Maurice Blanchot.

Mrs. Dalloway is poetic but relatively understandable. Lovely prose, interesting characters and intense emotions, plus lesbian nostalgia kino.

I started reading this once when I was quite young. Seems based though I hope to come back to it one day, reading stuff from totally random countries is always fun (I know they had sagas or some shit but in modern literature I've only ever heard of Laxness).

This stuff is surreal to me, China in general is just a weird phenomenon.

Picture of Dorian Gray

>I started reading this once when I was quite young. Seems based though
it's very interesting, starting to feel I'm getting to the part where I'm only going to be able to stop to sleep. rough men struggling to become independent (as opposed to serfs), and the only way to make it in a frigid unwelcoming country like Iceland is through pure obstinacy.

Hooked by Michael Moss
It was being sold in the cookbooks section of the store

Attached: 1609252885058.jpg (743x1204, 190.05K)

I love Mrs Dalloway. I felt the dread of passing time. All of the characters were sympathetic and likable despite being flawed. I loved the adventurous guy who failed to live up to his potential. I think Woolf was funnier and more self aware than many give her credit for. Like she is writing a parody of a stuffy version of herself

are you enjoying learning about all the different times mr nice got high to differing extents?

I'm reading Dostoevsky's A Writer's Diary, I've enjoyed it more than some of his novels.

Attached: 41YdfRKHLSL.jpg (323x500, 22.22K)

Winds of War by Herman Wouk and The Fractal Prince by Hannu Rajaniemi

Attached: 510vc.jpg (900x677, 45.33K)

I have started reading the Expanse series of book by James S. A. Corey. Unfortunately I don't have the hard copies and have to read it over my phone, and I can't find books 7-9 anywhere(I'm not paying to read an ebook)but hopefully they'll pop up before I finish the first 6.

I am 50% through that. I have been reading it on and off for like a month, which is unusual for me as I normally finish things very quickly. I'm not sure if me taking my time indicates my dislike for it (it normally does). It's true that I have been bored at times, but it's also true that at other times it has been either hilarious or profound, or both at the same time.

Just started. Never read anything by him before.
Lovecraft liked him

Attached: D1FB95CA-7E4E-4710-8E1B-509A463957AF.jpg (907x1360, 119.98K)

How to Read a Book.

Les Essais de Michel de Montaigne and the collected works of José Martí.

Is pussy just a myth?

Attached: 71YXCVlwmrL[1].jpg (1000x1524, 139.97K)

Yea Forums posts.

Attached: IMG_1396.jpg (1800x1200, 596.84K)

Very neat user.
You've convince me to pick up a copy.

I like it.

Attached: 2Q==.jpg (182x277, 9.63K)

Post 20231715 on Yea Forums

Feels similar to 2666. I am not well versed in Bolano's works, but I'm beginning to think that a pervading sense of dread with no clear centre is a quality of all his writing.

It's frequently dismissed as a work only for the true fans, but to me it would seem an excellent introduction to his writings, and a good preparatory piece for 2666.

Attached: bolanothirdreich.jpg (250x392, 27.3K)

The dad and the sea. Read it as a kid and didn't like it but holy shit, this is probably the greatest mumin book.
It is just so sad that Reddit and Tumbler have tried to take over the franchise.

Attached: pappan och havet.jpg (1476x2185, 495.22K)

how?

Moomin Papa is literally Yea Forums: the character.

Idk, I still on the part where it tells me in detail to analyze the title and table of contents.

This. Poem about death: a Book about my Father, by Søren R. Fauth. Its good in a depressing way. A sort of auto-fiction long poem about life, death and the authors family history. His grandfather died on the Eastern Front.

Attached: Digt-om-doeden-(Haefte-2018).jpg (640x640, 61.2K)

r/woosh

Submission, by Houellebecq. Because of memes.
It's fun so far, I like the humor and what I surmise are the core ideas.
>I'm beginning to think that a pervading sense of dread with no clear centre is a quality of all his writing.
I've not read your pic or 2666 but it does feel that way. It's specially noticeable in his short stories I think

I just read the first moomin book after reading your post. it was okay.

expected more from hemingway, its only ok

Attached: The_Sun_Also_Rises_(1st_ed._cover).jpg (839x1219, 481.88K)

> the Iliad
> the world is not enough
> Oswald: the return of the king
> The life and death of my lord Gilles De Rais
> Katherine

Count of monte cristo. I just finished the chapter where dantes pretended to be injured to his smuggler friends jacopo and company to stay on the island of monte cristo and then he finds the treasure.

Uzbek novel

Attached: 0D9F1ED5-784A-455C-9976-0C392D19550C.jpg (316x499, 17.74K)

Rereading Death and the Dervish. It amazes me that bosnia produced such a great author.

Status update: I literally just got gifted 2666 so I guess that's next

I took Flowers for Algernon out at the library a few months back on someone's recommendation here. I have been really busy so just kept renewing it.

This afternoon I grabbed it and drove to the park. I planned on reading for about 30 minutes before running some errands. I ended up staying there for over two hours. What a fantastic book. I did not expect it to be so creatively written and fill me with so many emotions.

Attached: 9780151001637.jpg (275x400, 34.5K)

The Tightwad Gazette
Vor dem Sturm

Tell us more about it? Uzbek literature isn't really known here

Catch-22

I read that last year. I really liked it. I wanted to read The Tin Drum afterwards because of the obvious similarities, but got waylaid by other things, of course. The Dead Lake has an unusual ending. I remember it being very funny too, and bawdy.

I might stop reading it

Attached: A1-2Tn2UGlL.jpg (1536x2560, 1.15M)

Time Regained
Fathers and Sons
Psychological Types
The Six Enneads
The Odyssey.

Great book.

How Music Works by David Byrne

Comfy with good illustrations

Attached: 515LC27c+1S._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (330x499, 50.61K)

Rereading Thus Spoke Zarathustra

The Horse, the Wheel, and Language by David W. Anthony

I loved this book so much. I would really appreciate it if someone could reccommend me something similar. Engaging, easy to read, short... I love books that you pick up and can't put down, but aren't 800 pages.

The Old Man and the Sea and A Personal Matter by Kenzaburo Oe

1/2
This is my for fun read. I dig it so far. It's one of Delillo's funnier books. Some of the stuff goes over head but I think I get the general gist of it. I see why mathematics is of interest to delillo, considering his thematic concerns with language in all his books

Attached: 20220416_160910.jpg (4000x3000, 2.16M)

2/2
I'm rereading Macbeth for work. Start teaching it to sophomores on Tuesday. This'll be my third time teaching it.

Attached: 16501470972508176997696156446056.jpg (4000x3000, 3.28M)

5th grade social studies book

half way through it

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-04-16 15-13-39.png (1366x768, 440.59K)