Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

I really want to read this, but I've been told it's a suicide-inducing slog. I've also heard it's kino. I'll read it regardless, but I want more opinions. What does Yea Forums think of this one?

Attached: 91DhazpQXML.jpg (1688x2530, 803.22K)

You should read it and form your own opinion.

I'm halfway through yeah its pretty long but its kino

it's a slog if you're a brainlet. time to find out, user.

What's the point of the fucking whaling treatise, though? I literally burned the book at that part. There's literally no reason why it should be there. Fucking autist Melville.

based

First read the Bible before you attempt to read it.

Don't you see the metaphors retard? He explicitly drops a metaphor in each chapter which means no deep analysis is needed to notice it. Moby Dick really is the ultimate brainlet detector.

That nigger just liked whaling that much. Have to admire his autism.

so it gives you a context of a 19th century sailor mindset and takes you along on the journey. there are a lot of chapters that talk about whaling work, feel like work, because that's what they are. you're on a ship with the rest of the crew. not to mention most have an underlining metaphor.

Why not just read it, instead of making a thread about it.

its long and dense and seems pointlessly involved in irrelevant detail sometimes, very beautiful language though, reminds me of milton a little

this book was boring and sluggish to me until i got to the chapter about the whiteness of the whale and now im liking it alot. aesthetically feels more like a mystic novel than a traditional european novel.

Don't bother, it sucks.

/thread

This.

The best part of the book is the opening where he's in Nantucket trying to find a boat. Once he actually finds the ship and meets Ahab is when it gets boring. I tried to read it like 8 times and I don't think I ever made it past page 150.
The sermon in the chapel is the best chapter.

>Yeah this point in the book where I got filtered is when it starts sucking

first quarter is great and you'll love it. Last quarter is brilliant, though harder to get into. You need to have a taste for literature to enjoy it, which I'm sure you do. It's more students who might not get it. The middle section, however, is controversial with both students and more serious readers. It's long and all over the place. There's brilliant stuff in there, but just as you might think it's great, you might just as well think it's a slog. But hey, if you can't get through it, you'll at least have read the brilliant end fun first quarter of the book. So just try it. It's worth giving a try

it is NOT a slog, i love this book so much. please read it it's super great

Its not a boring slog if you dont go in expecting it to be something it isnt

Its great and you should get this edition for the kino illustrations

Attached: 61qQtRUR+wL._AC_SY1000_.jpg (324x500, 52.69K)

It's a suicide-inducing slog if you're a retard who can't handle prose beyond the ninth grade level.

Hi guys I am scared to read a book and my time is too valuable posting on Yea Forums to do things for myself. Please help me out

It's kino, but probably not going to enjoy it if you're not a seasoned reader. There are definitely parts I could see people putting the book down and never wanting to touch it again.

The chapter where he likens different kinds of cetaceans to different sizes of books (folios, quartos, octavos) is notorious for making people stop. I read that chapter and thought it was hilarious. I was on an airplane and the guy in the seat next to me was just flabbergasted that I was reading Moby Dick and laughing.

Try it; it's not for everyone, but it's worth an attempt.

Just read it dumbass. Waste of a thread.

It's a retard filter, congratulations

I thought it was hilariously autistic. I was laughing at all the shit that's wrong. Kino af

Read it last year. Absolutely immense, brimming with profundity and frequently very funny. I also didn't need to ask around like a eunuch about if I should read it or not, I just picked it up and got to.

It is the most kino book I ever read. I finished it over 3 years ago and still think about it every day.

Why is the book kino? curious

Yea Forums will call me a filtered nigger but I am reading it with skipping the chapters about sperm whales since I am not a gay faggot.

It's the most jolly book I've ever read. Every scene is wonderfully embellished, no matter how dull you'd think the subject matter would be. Ignoring all meaning or lessons the book has to lffer, it's just a joy to read

absolutely filtered. next you'll be telling us there's something homoerotic about humpback whales.

Come on. The book is about a man’s obsession with a sperm whale called Moby Dick. Even in the first chapters there is a BBC scene. Don’t tell me this book is not also a some gay fantasy apart from being one of the greatest American novels.

Some of the most amazing writing and storytelling I've ever experienced and also hundreds of pages about the anatomy of whales, which isn't even right because it's science and knowledge from the 1800s. I loved some parts and fucking hated others, definitely worth reading though

What is the best uncut release/edition to read? I can see that quite a few cut/edit stuff in order to make it more readable to the younger generations.

>but I've been told it's a suicide-inducing slog. I've also heard it's kino
that is exactly like Yea Forums, or weightlifting, for example
you have to suffer to get through to the good stuff

this book stands alone in its own category

It's one of the most nourishing reads you can experience. Indescribably kino.

Attached: 1611083979980.jpg (640x960, 62.05K)

Still my favorite book after ten years

>reading Moby Dick
>skipping the bits about Whales
Impressive. Very nice.

It’s a very ambiguous and interpretative book. You get what you put into it. It can be analyzed in a million ways. Somehow a lot of readers don’t see the boring ship chapters as allegories

I threw it in the trash about 300 pages in. It stinks and anyone who tells you otherwise is straight up lying.

Literally cried like 4 times reading this book. Ahabs journey to its bitter end is soul enchanting. The chapters about whaling are very interesting. I think retards go into this book because it seems like an easy to pick up adventure novel. easy it might not be but it is still very very good

>Literally cried like 4 times
Hello... femanon?

It never felt like a slog to me. It's an engaging and immersive book that actually makes you feel for the characters. The book holds a special place in the halls of literature for a reason.
Cetacean facts (even inaccurate information) are a must-read.

it's a kino slog
read it

Read the book and find out. Why do you fags act like starting a book is a life changing commitment that must be mused over?

Because no one in Yea Forums reads.

Are you really that surprised? People here incapable of making decisions without the guidance of anonymous internet strangers

People say this nonsense But I bet if they ever reread most will skip those scenes. That's if anyone cares enough to do a reread that is.

why do you think Melville was trying to be scientific? do you think he was being serious when he talks about how Narwhals might have used their horns to flip pamphlets? retard.

> filtered
It's there for a very obvious reason. The whole book is supposed to be life as viewed through the lens of a whaler. The cetology section adds to the grandiose and comprehensive impression of the work.

You truly don't get it. Return to Harry Potter at once.

>first spend a year of your life preparing to read a book that'll take you a year to read
No

> I refuse to educate myself.

>first spend a year of your life preparing to read a book that'll take you a year to read
>No
Imagine not reading in order to improve your reading experience

>I-Im glad I read... background literature I wasn't interested in... for 85 years... just so I could... understand this one... piece... EEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPP

I just finished this book today and it's easily in my top 5.

Attached: chill escape.gif (360x360, 1.13M)

>first spend a year of your life
It should take you at most a month or two to read the entire bible if you read it 15 min a day.

It's been done tremendous injustice by the contemporary public-school cirriculum. The parts that're traditionally skipped over because they're considered "filler" or "innesential" are just the opposite. They're the bits that turn Moby Dick from a story about whalers to a story where you yourself get to become a whaler.

It's just that public school is plagued with lowest-common-xenominator retards who teachers in modern times have no way of expelling short of said retards having the decency to commit a truly egregious felony, so they feel obligated to water down ome of the great masterworks of the 19th Century into something sufficiently digestible for the dum-dums. They still fail, because said dum-dums don't want to be in school to begin with, and no amount of dumbing down anything is enough to make up for their state-mandated imprisonment.

And thus, otherwise intelligent people are robbed of a special story for the sake of bringing said story zero new fans whatever.