What happened to the adventure novel? why did it die?

what happened to the adventure novel? why did it die?

Attached: dkKuyvT.jpg (800x1030, 121.34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

b-ok.cc/book/610162/d0fe62
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Normies watch netflix instead of reading pulp. Women only read romance, YA, mystery, or self help books.

/thread

Exactly. Genre fiction with a sense of achievable realism went extinct with the advent of television.

why though?
adventure is still extremely popular as shown by the popularity of indiana jones and the mummy yet there is ZERO market in it nowadays
write a classic adventure novel and it will literally get no buyers at all

Attached: DWLNJ8W.jpg (736x1142, 105.14K)

I'd rather play video games

When you say 'adventure novel', what exactly do you have in mind? Can you give some examples? Because I have read stuff like Treasure Island but I wouldn't be caught dead reading Tarzan #831987: The Great Return of Jane or whatever.

Kids would rather read manga or watch anime.

The Long Ships

Attached: 9921775._SY475_.jpg (302x475, 59.96K)

I still laugh when I remember that the pretty boy priest cucked all the Vikings.

Sad but true

Attached: 5687753.jpg (736x1187, 283.2K)

Like others said the audience for those kind of books are now playing video games or watching anime.

>edgar rice burroughs
>The Lost World (conan doyle)
>h rider haggards she and king solomons mines
>jules verne
>r e howards historical adventure works (although his sword and sorcery tales are in the same milieu

plenty of young guys read shitty YA fantasies which, unknowingly, have a tenebrous connection to the classic adventure male pulps of yesteryear so why are they so forgotten?
Why are zoomers attracted to litrpg isekai of nerd entering fantasy gameworld and getting waifu instead of adventure tale of masculine man going through the hollow earth and finding a lost civilisation full of dinosaurs and strange creatures and atlantean waifus?

Attached: CA_WilliamsonHeader.jpg (980x653, 194.08K)

Because of the unabashed manliness of the former.
They’re considered politically incorrect for the objectification of women and “toxic masculinity” while the latter is not.

They relate more to the disenchanted loser than to the archetypal hero.

This picture is racist, sexist, and overflowing with toxic masculinity. I will report it to the mods for removal and may Fauci have mercy on your soul

This is literally me holy shit

Meanwhile:
>Take Galadrial, beautiful symbol of femininity
>Dress her up in armour like a man
Isn't it incredible how feminists don't understand the irony of this? It is hilarious that people who call themselves feminists seem to despise actual femininity. It's like they want to turn all women into men, and they demonize women acting feminine in any way. Feminists literally despise themselves, and they want more than anything to be a man. Modern Feminists are the female version of being a tranny.

Attached: 3299939D-C29E-4DE6-AAD0-8BEF38C0F678.jpg (2000x1333, 1.51M)

The consumer market can expand without the need for marriage (children out of wedlock), a more fundamentally without domestic population expansion at all (economic immigration from other countries). Further, exclusive homosexuals are potentially superior laborers in a capital system because they don't form relationships which potentially culminate in a family of dependents. This is one of the reasons global capital has supported the popularity of homosexual exclusivity for nearly twenty years now. Of course these days, transsexuals (better called "self castrators") offer even more benefits than homosexuals to systems of global capital: they can't reproduce and they are reliant upon complex technological systems of capital to complete and maintain the illusion of transition. For this reason, you're witnessing the passing of capitalist favor from homosexual exclusives to self-castrators.

i'd sat it kind of morphed into spy fiction

Good list
b-ok.cc/book/610162/d0fe62
First three Tarzan books are solid though, highly recommend em.

I was just reading on pic related, stuff like unrealistic Female empowerment and Gay mannerisms we’re all meant to be added and deleted depending on the culture of the Market. The best part about them including the gay scenes to begin with… is that they included them in a way that could be altered out. This isn't, y'know, Dumbledore waking up in bed with a man or sharing a milkshake with 2 straws, they're mostly throwaway lines in scenes that won't matter for the story and can be easily edited out.
So the gayness is implanted in a way to be easily cut out. I'd be insulted if I were gay, tbqh.
Not just that they edit it for China, which I mean whatever you play by their rules if you want their money; it's just at how thin and transparent the whole thing is.

Attached: E8A87191-D97A-4971-8EB7-3B1FB07475B5.jpg (600x638, 58.58K)

why can't we just stop paying attention women for once? it was funny the first and second time but this third time around its just beyond parody

so riddle me this, why can't we do this in America?

Because Hollywood is run by the gay mafia

Only reason I rated it 4/5 instead of 5/5

so the gay mafia is afraid of chinks?

theyre afraid of low ticket sales

Yes, Chinese censors would never let it be screened in China with the gay scenes left in, meaning they would lose profits.
In America they have already established enough a foothold that they can show the movie with the gay scenes and the moral watchdogs can’t do anything about it.

I'm slightly butthurt no one has mentioned Typee and Mardi yet.
Adventure novels don't have to belong to whatever people call pulp or genre fiction

Right, isn't there a while industry of trans-tech being created as we speak?

Attached: 70C9BBDA-E6F1-4759-9984-490633C69C46.jpg (640x480, 44.62K)

More like Trans-humanist or Post-Human.

Why read an adventure story if I can just be in one playing a vidoe game?

Normies are finally noticing that bullshit that companies like disney pull where they go along with whatever whoever is paying them believes. China? No ghosts or skeletons or blacks or gay people. US? No straight white males and no representation for any group that makes up more than 10% of the population.

If some tool brings this shit up irl I always suggest that they check the twitter account for every branch of the company they're talking about, clears everything up when they post the black box in LA but then promote gay slurs in Iran.

Homosexuality was never viewed as anything 'bad' in Confucian cultures. Just a form of preference. As long as you continued the bloodline by marrying, you were good to fuck around with anyone you pleased, men or women. This hold true to this day.

God white men are so insecure

Don't know about that gay nigger Confucius but as a respectable daoist homosex is wrong because it overloads you with yang qi.

Because genre fiction authors want to be the next philosophers.

You mean tenuous, not tenebrous.

i said what i meant

The adventure novel ultimately became the science fiction novel. Writers tend to write about what is in the air, what is topical. Lots of people were going out on grand adventures and coming back to write books about them and going on lecture circuit, people like MacGregor, Slocum, Shackleton, etc, the public could not get enough of it. But there are only so many adventures to be had, the public had no interest in the 57th person to visit such and such place, just the first few, as the new adventures to be had ran out so did the interest in the adventure novel. Science and technology became the big thing that everyone was talking about so the novelists started to exploit this new and popular frontier for inspiration. Adventure takes a back seat to the technology and the foundational works for science fiction were penned, adventure is often still there but it no longer was the point.

People started pirating books which means adventure books became unprofitable.

>jules verne
I'll take on a 17 year old boy this summer as an apprentice who knows all Jules Verne books by heart.
Seriously, you can tell him you're interested in 20,000 leagues or whatever and he can recite the whole thing from start to finish, if you let him. I listened to the whole book while spending time fishing with him. It's incredible.

We have video games now user.

disappointed this isn't picrel

Attached: 47186ed76e23b34a66f7935bf25c3fc0.jpg (678x964, 255.77K)

>indiana jones and the mummy
nigga those movies are 40 and 20 years old

Feels like pop culture stopped around 1999. Has there been anything new since then that wasn't just a retreading of things that came before it?

>Has there been anything new since then that wasn't just a retreading of things that came before it?

Attached: Dragon ball.jpg (1400x2100, 437.64K)

indiana jones and the mummy are some of the most beloved franchises of all time

>what is 西|遊|記

I've been trying to read modern anthologies that hearken back to the old pulps, and while I wouldn't necessarily say they're bad, they are missing some element that made older stories work.

Attached: biz.jpg (1000x1545, 228.18K)

A cheap Chinese knock off of Dragon ball.

Something that blights most modern fiction is a fear of offending anyone. In their desire to avoid social media campaigns they end up with a bland leaden heap.

I mean, Wilbur Smith wrote some pretty fantastic adventure stories. He just passed away, but still recent.

Dubs of butthurt
Cope more pagan homosexual

Youtube reaction videos

>why did it die?
People stop buying them. Also, everyone on Yea Forums seems to pirate them instead.

That chick has really muscular legs. and look at how lovingly the negro's back has been painted.. wow.

I would also posit that a lot of writers don't seem to understand the structure of old pulps, and short fiction writing in general, which leads to a lot of the stories feeling half-baked, or worse, they read like rough outlines of an actual story. But you're probably right that modern sensibilities likely prevent writers nowadays from going balls deep into exotic esotericism for fear of upsetting one group or another.

The priest becomes pagan and the vikings he cucked were Christian