/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

The Sacred City by the Fall Edition

Previous Thread:

>Recommended reading charts (Look here before asking for vague recs)
mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ

>Archive
>>>>warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg

>Goodreads
goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg

>A link to the ultimate colossal science fiction and fantasy collection torrent
>Discord
Never going to be created.

Attached: __original_drawn_by_gehn__de06a08b379ebb3062a67a261f2014e2.jpg (1898x864, 805.79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=ignota palmer&search_tripcode=sffg
warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=Ancillary Justice&search_tripcode=sffg
warosu.org/lit/thread/S20136179#p20136404
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are jannies braindead?

What are you guys currently or planning on reading?

Going to pace myself from now on, so I’ll be just reading a chapter or two. The chapter I read is Daenerys’s fourth chapter, and by far it’s been the best one from her so far. In the sense we get to learn more about Dothraki and the Dothraki sea worldbuilding. But truth be told, I’m tired of Martin just making them caricature of the Mongols, the city was great since it shows they’re okay with actually building something, instead of being nomadic. Daenerys standing up and hitting Viserys was okay if only I grew tired of Viserys shit at this point. But overall, Daenerys chapters have been hit or miss for me.

Attached: Marc_simonetti_Danymarket.jpg (658x1000, 157.34K)

Who else would work for no pay voluntarily?

I think I'd like Reverend Insanity if he wasn't an amoral villain type.

Keep the same setup of timetravel and the cultivation system but have someone way more restrained by their morality to up the difficulty

Hard to imagine the books are worth reading at this point desu

>What are you guys currently or planning on reading?

Attached: Sometime+Lofty+Towers.jpg (500x773, 83.72K)

Catching up with Jim Butcher after his hiatus. He's the same faggot he always was and is a waste of time

Half of what makes RI good is mcs unique character and personality. If he was good and moral then RI would be just another crappy template xanxia.

I've read more xianxia with amoral power hungry protags than ones without desu

Do the chinese just like amoral sociopath MCs in general?

That's pretty much why Beware of Chicken works, because the protag is actually just a decent person. Not, like, paragon of goodness, but he's just decent.

Dont know how I'm able to read this series. It's incredibly boring. I think it's a matter of the quaintness, predictability, and lack of major plot upheaval appealing to my autism

Attached: Sethra.jpg (257x386, 21.19K)

Chinks are just writing character like themselves.

Going to read some more of In a Glass Darkly and some shit from for a chaser. Probably Herald of Shalia.

Why was RI banned? Surely it was not because he used xi jin ping name (in chapter ~600)? Why is it that no other xanxia got banned except RI?

Combination of the satire of pooh as well as the fact that the series is incredibly anti-society.

They made like the most blatant violation of the censor rules possible lol

Some people are fine with reading unfinished stuff. Lots of people started Berserk in the last year.

I tend to read unfinished stuff only if it's exceptional and simply is unfinished due to the passing of the author, or if it's clearly going to be finished within a reasonable timeframe.

Reverend Insanity is boring because there is literally no emotional depth. Its always muh goals and muh moving forward with the author spouting some juvenile bullshit every now and then. In reverend insanity no characters matter because they are all stepping stones for MC, with their personalities being the same cookie cutter bullshit taken from any other cultivation story. Even the main philosophical drive is retarded, like the main character doesn't care about anything in life so he chooses to strive for immortality so he can uhhhhhhhh live to not care about anything forever? This retard does realize that the longer you live the more boring everything becomes right?? Immortality is the best because it just is.....

How is Too Like the Lightning? How is Terra Ignota? These are relatively newer SF books that I keep seeing mentioned.

Immortality seekers are often just like that because of fear of death, it goes all the way back to Gilgamesh. At the same time, it's a really bland motivation in and of itself. Somebody who wants to be immortal so that they can, say, watch civilisations grow and change and fall, or enjoy all future works of art or something is more interesting to me.

GoT never had much of a story that could be finished to begin with. It's like reading history, only more boring, with crude vulgarity added as compensation for its failings.

that's one book and the name of the series its from user

Whoops I meant to ask: How is Terra Ignota? How is Ancillary Justice (and associated books)?

Whats your favorite fantasy recommendation lists you've gathered over the years?

What an absurd criticism. Whatever else you msy say about those books, they clearly have a story.

It is a primal human desire to live longer or as long as possible and even not die, this is why humans and every life form reproduce, it is one and the only way for humans to continue their existence , but if there was even a slight possibility of actual immortality of an individual only a complete fool would not take the chance to pursue it.

It was pretty boring and utterly unmemorable

Attached: 1548219251312.jpg (474x474, 34.09K)

I suppose I could technically define my latest trip to the bathroom as a story. Only the conclusion would be more intellectually stimulating than GoT!

>Too Like the Lightning
When you want to write awesome books like Gene Wolfe but were raised on participation trophies and female empowerment.

You sound like you are 17 years old. Take a breath and try to be a little more critical of your own views.

Am I wrong?

Terra Ignota is nuts, in a good way, but be warned that it's not an easy read. You have a 25th century narrator writing in an 18th century style for an imagined 27th century audience. Society is wildly different from today and the narrator sees no need to explain things, so you're drip-fed information and much of the fun towards the start is in piecing together what the fuck he's talking about.
It was written by a historian, and it's supposed to read like a historical document, full of quirks and unstated assumptions.
It's absolutely not hard sci-fi, but to me it still holds some of the same appeal. It's fantastical but grounded in history.

>this is why humans and every life form reproduce
I've often wondered what it is that drives every species of animal on the planet to make such immense sacrifices to its safety and health, both for males and females, to the ends of reproduction. But assuming animal life whole hog is driven by some abstract psychological aversion to death is anthropomorphization

Attached: IMG-20200526-WA0000.jpg (800x530, 110.37K)

Fundamental philosophical differences between bugs and humans.

Attached: EpNnOklXMAQ5ZsZ.jpg (1200x675, 44.48K)

Checked and I have no idea, who's to say.

Personal thoughts
>Too Like the Lightning
warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=ignota palmer&search_tripcode=sffg

>Ancillary Justice
warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&ghost=yes&search_text=Ancillary Justice&search_tripcode=sffg

/sffg/ consensus:
>Too Like the Lightning
A few really like it, most are think it's ok at most, some really hate it. I could list out all the individual ratings as I usually do, but meh.

>Ancillary Justice
Mostly the same as the above, though most like the following books much less.

Thank you very much, reviewanon. I always enjoy your blurbs for what it's worth. You seem to either read very fast and/or spend a lot of time reading.

Chinese definitely have a different outlook to us however western white males have been brainwashed by decades of liberal thought. If a story does not have significant women characters(or even no women at all), if it does not habe significant emotional depth, if mc is actually a villain, a typical western reader will automatically reject such a story because it just does not fit his liberal mind conditioning.

warosu.org/lit/thread/S20136179#p20136404

Bastion suddenly became a very different book 2/3 in

Attached: cute devil.png (880x1028, 74.12K)

Typical Westerners don't use reddit and Twitter all day Chang.

An irascible old farmer named Hu discovered one morning that his best rooster had flown into a tall tree beside his farm pond and wouldn’t come down, so he went to his neighbor, Wil, and asked for help. The men had never gotten along, but Wil finally agreed, so the two men went to the pond and began climbing the tree, Hu first. They meant to frighten the rooster out, you see, but the bird only kept flying higher, branch by branch. Then, just as Hu and the rooster reached almost the very top of the tree, with Wil right behind, there was a loud crack, the branch under Hu’s feet broke away, and down he went into the pond, splashing water and mud everywhere. Wil scrambled down as fast as he could and reached out to Hu from the bank, but Hu just lay there on his back, sinking deeper into the mud until only his nose stuck out of the water. Another farmer had seen what happened, and he came running and pulled Hu out of the pond. ‘Why didn’t you take Wil’s hand?’ he asked Hu. ‘You could have drowned.’ ‘Why should I take his hand now?’ Hu grumped. ‘I passed him just a moment ago in broad daylight, and he never spoke a word to me.’

I've been reading nothing but Philip K. Dick books all year, need a recommendation for some more classic sci-fi. Was thinking of either Lord of Light or Sirens of Titan next. I like Pynchon, and Vonnegut sounds like he might be a bit Pynchony.

Attached: 1635656963114.jpg (1984x1372, 326.78K)

Bastion feels like two books that were merged into one because the author realised the entirety of those two books was just characterisation and starting on a trajectory.

I'd say most western males don't care much about the forced 'dominating female' tropes. It's largely the brainwashed fanatics and intentional propagandists from academia and corporate media that you hear about, and who are creating a false narrative that these archetypes are in demand for moral reasons.

Lord of Light is not bad. Second half slows down quite a bit. Extremely interesting how ahead of his time Zelazny was. It's like reading hindu flavored DBZ, but somehow written in 1950

NTA
or maybe you've made an inaccurate comparison and have an incorrect frame of reference.

Kek, why would a chinese person browse Yea Forums.

Ok but what do they care about then? If no one cared about sjw and liberal literature there would not be every single hugo and nebula thats sjw. Even the less known authors are releasing heavily left wing lit. It is a business and the stuff that gets released is what readers want and care about and they are willing to pay for it.

>I want to read some progression fantasy, that's a red-pilled genre, right? What shoud I read?
>Get recommended faggot shit like Arcane Ascension
I'll stick to RI, thanks.

>wetlander humor

You should read some of this faggets books. Many of them are progression mixed Genre

>If no one cared about sjw and liberal literature there would not be every single hugo and nebula thats sjw.
Hugos and Nebulas are controlled by a very small group of wealthy urbanites.
>Even the less known authors are releasing heavily left wing lit. It is a business and the stuff that gets released is what readers want and care about and they are willing to pay for it.
Do you have a learning disability?

>Do you have a learning disability?
No, why?

Because you must be learning disabled or ESL to think American mass media is about making money.

It's true that it's a relatively very small group of people.
Most any award is, especially those given out by a panel of judges.
The Goodreads Choice Award probably has the largest voterbase of any book award by far.

2021 Hugo Award Details
December 18, 2021

Category: Novel
Cast Ballots: 2040

Category: Best Novella
Cast Ballots 1691

Category: Novelette
Cast Ballots 1499

Category: Best Short Story
Cast Ballots 1574

Category: Best Video Game
Cast Ballots 956

Many other categories as well.

>think American mass media is about making money.
Considering Lachlan Murdoch's recent statements it'll be less about profits and more about ideological warfare indeed.

EGS is a thing. You can do both.

>An irascible old farmer named Hu
This is the start of a limerick

You've never read it.

>EGS
I didn't know what this was, so I had to look at the /pol/ archive, since I knew surely that's where you learned it. As best as I can tell from a look, it seems like it's "environmental, social and governance (EGS) criteria." Seems to have attracted a lot of conspiracy posting as well.

Only if the banks or the government are willing to put their dick on the scales.