Emily Wilson's Odyssey Translation

I was told in a lecture today that this is the best translation to use today. Is it though?

Attached: 51KsJ47uP4L._SX342_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (344x499, 34.05K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/homer/the-odyssey-wilson/
kirkcenter.org/reviews/a-coat-of-varnish/
youtu.be/MaTAbfp-yrE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah.

>Yeah
why? like i'm genuinely curious since I was going to order fagle's

The fact it doesn't obscure the slavery and stuff seems interesting

It's not. It's an infamously badly done translation that's only known for being done by a woman and 'updating' the text to modern standards. If you want a good english translation read Pope's, and if you want one that's most accurate to the Greek and also readable english do Fagles or Lattimore.

I've never read The Odyssey and I bought this in a local bookshop because it looked really cool. Had no idea it was translated by a woman.
Should I avoid it if its my first time reading it?
It looks nice on my shelf though.

Interesting.

Fagles is still standard as far as I know.

Might as well read it then, since you've already bought it. You can reread in another translation letter on. Honestly, the translation is fine, if a bit simplifying at times. /lit really only hates it because it is done by a SJW female.

>/lit really only hates it because it is done by a SJW
The identitarian group that's attempting to artificially recontextualize Western history according to their ideological "understanding." That's a pretty good reason to avoid a given translation of an ancient text foundational to the canon, user.

Just publish your own contextually correct translation senpai

>fine
The opening line alone is enough to toss the entire fucking thing out.
>Tell me about a complicated man.
She also openly bragged about intentionally changing the obvious meaning of certain passages, like descriptions of Polyphemus, because she thought they were "colonialist" and problematic. She hates Odysseus, and from what she produced one can only assume she hates the Odyssey itself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH
You were lied to, brother. This is actually the worst modern translation there is. Even when compared to something like Fagles, it comes off as retarded tier.

>/lit really only hates it because it is done by a SJW female.
Yes, because they dont translate with any intention of adhering to the language and/or contextual background in which it was written. They translate and "understand" it according to what, measured by modern standards, "feels right". That is terribly stupid and it deserves to be trashed and shit on by everyone who cares about literature and history.

Didn't the earlier English translations implant onto the text their own worldview? ie Christianity.

I wouldn't need your here and ask since it's by a woman

Attached: Berserk - Chapter 327 - 9.jpg (1132x1600, 86.02K)

>Tell me about a complicated man
>Mr Foreginer
>scallywag
>Odysseus and Cyclops is actually le colonianism
>Immigrants are le good

Attached: 1592792469232.jpg (996x820, 585.53K)

What you guys think about Samuel Butler's translation?

holy fuck this can't be real

>'Playtime is over'
>pozzed anglos think this is the peak of translation
holy kek embarrassing

Attached: kek.png (764x196, 70.45K)

>I was told in a lecture today that this is the best translation to use today.
Nice bait. This translation's target audience is 15 year old girls.

Yes. Every translator carries his or her own biases that are bound to come across in their text, but since the one in OP is done by a leftist woman, it's automatically shit by /lit standards, including people only judging it by literally the first verse, like .

ive never read the odyssey, how does the translation change things? whats a good point of reference

She's not biased, she's willfully distorting the text to fit her agenda. And there's a whole list of these bizarre translation choices, like calling Polyphemus a "maverick", just to name another one off the top of my head.

Do these celebrity translators actually work from the original text or do they just revise the existing translations?

Why would I do that? There are multiple translations out there already and I'm educated enough to contextualize and/or avoid politically motivated output should I refuse to have such be my focus while reading the canon. I understand there's a demonstration of talent in translation but I don't admire Timothy McVeigh for being able to construct a bomb.

It'll only get worse. I'm looking forward to it.

Attached: 1629168678737.png (770x708, 44K)

The Norton Critical Edition of Ovid is so much worse than this.

Or "Playtime is over" lmao

It's okay.
kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/homer/the-odyssey-wilson/

kirkcenter.org/reviews/a-coat-of-varnish/

Why?

I don't know anything about the greeks and their translations but that's needlessly archaizing for something written in 1967.
>herpaderp it's le old book so I must use le olde english

I can't wait for her Plato translation to come out so she can make all incels of /lit seethe.

Attached: Emily Wilson.jpg (2560x1710, 665.17K)

Anything ever that remakes something and claims to "modernize" it or remake it with "modern sensibilities" is automatically and unavoidably useless trash. This applies to every product ever made, not just books.

How should the language scan, user? I hope you're not actually suggesting that Wilson produced a superior sanitized translation because the language is "modern." Because that would be really stupid. Nothing about the 1967 suggests archaism, it's more descriptive which can lead to line repetition.

I'll check it, but I doubt it beats Pope's.

Attached: 1617653435913.png (1522x605, 298.24K)

>Martin's Ovid translation won the 2004 Harold Landon Translation Award from the Academy of American Poets.
>"Martin gets both the humor and the pathos." — Emily Wilson, professor of Classical Studies, University of Pennsylvania
>"This translation of the Metamorphoses is all that one could wish." — Richard Wilbur
>"Among the accomplished translations of Ovid in our day, this version of Metamorphoses by Charles Martin—elegant, witty and exuberant by turns, and epic in its span from the creation of the world to the apotheosis of Julius Caesar—should now lay claim to its own distinguished ground." — Robert Fagles

I can kind of understand if the Latin is extremely stylized the desire to find an uncommon equivalent in English but some part of me instinctively doesn't like this 1990s rap music video

Attached: 1557872582821.jpg (1278x993, 120.99K)

Translating to the heart is the spirit of the task. "Accuracy" loses all meaning since no translation can ever be accurate. There is always an "agenda", so choose according to your own convictions. Poetry is a song that has been on the lips of men and women for all time. The author is no more significant or special than a tape recorder. There are an infinite number of Odysseys, as many as there are readers or listeners. To read a translation is to hear just one of those. The drudgery of authority and professionalism kills poetry. None of you pseuds ever took Ulysses to heart. You're a bunch of meme loving newfag tourists from 2016. Peace out niggaz.

Attached: 1649728312181.jpg (819x1024, 92.39K)

Of course translations can be accurate, retard.

It's more like a 90s rap video about history made by a local education board in a clumsy attempt to appeal to the kids. It's so obviously the product of an elderly white man.

ywnbaw

>some part of me instinctively doesn't like this 1990s rap

That's called racism, user.

Explain how retard

A base woman like Emily Wilson translating Plato should be some kind of internationally recognized crime. Hell, women should have to pass a test before they're even allowed to read Plato.

I still can't believe this is real

>Hell, women should have to pass a test before they're even allowed to read Plato.
God, can you out yourself more as a virgin?

What does sex have to do with this? Calm down and reply like an adult.

western history doesn't exist, greeks were a mediterranean people.

"med identity" people are, without exception, Latin Americans or NAFRIs.
t. Italian

What is NAFRI?

Tell me more about Latin American subhumanity

I'm not talking about Wilson, I was referring to the Lattimore segment.

Attached: tumblr_o80lj094tz1usv7xpo1_500.jpg (450x600, 58.31K)

NAFRI = North African

IDC about latin americans or nafris, I'm Greek. Give me one good reason why my history has to be the history of all of western/northern/eastern europe just because some german or anglo or russian decided he liked it and lacks his own ancient history. For that matter, the same applies to Taleb tier lebanese kangers who want to appropriate Greek and Roman history.

How is it appropriating modern Greek culture to acknowledge that ancient Greek thought and culture influenced the entire occident

It even completely transformed near eastern civilization under the Diadochi, every single area from Spain to India had a "Hellenistic" period lasting hundreds of years where their native culture was replaced by Greek models and Greek forms

Just read it in greek you fucking idiots

youtu.be/MaTAbfp-yrE

Support for it is symptomatic of a deeper problem. Academics and Western culture in general are increasingly no longer capable of intellectual honesty and discipline, and instead seem to be more emotional in it than in their daily lives, with friends and family, etc.

There's a couple of ways her translation changes things; in some cases, like with the slave girls, she's more literal than most translations. But more often than not, she either translates mendaciously (such as the aforementioned use of "maverick" for the cyclops, which elsewhere translates accurately, in order to make a polemical argument in favor of the cyclops against Odysseus), or she translates with her poetic schema so much in mind that the tone is simplified and childish, like an academic Rupi Kauer (the above "Mr. Foreigner"; translating arete as "tough" when it's "virtue"; the above "playtime is over").

Mind, Caroline Alexander, another liberal woman translator, did a very good job with her Iliad; by way of comparison, there's not any good excuse for Wilson.

Wilson does work from the Greek, she just has a perverse translation theory.

He was addressing that and comparing with Wilson. I don't get how Lattimore is archaizing in his translation, it's straightforward English.

...I know. I said that Lattimore was more descriptive which causes repetition (which causes fatigue). Are you sure you should be reading, user?