Evangelion

why do people defend this scene? its obvious he's struggling with the decision so at least intersperse with shinji's hand shaking or some semblance of movement from the mech as he decides to kill him.

Attached: download.jpg (1280x720, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CzX3T8ZigRQ&t=94
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If the scene already makes this obvious why do you want it changed?

because it lingers for too long

Because you have ADHD and got bored?

no i already said i understood the purpose of the scene. they handled the elevator scene much better, granted it didnt have any mechs but still. this scene was a joke, linger on a static frame for too long when the message was already conveyed then jump cut to the guys head plopping into the water

The scene is so tense because we don't see anything. We can only guess at what's going through Shinji's head: are his hands resting on the controls, trembling as he deliberates going through with it? Is he slumped back in his seat, utterly defeated? What emotion is he showing on his face? Is he crying? Laughing? Showing Shinji at all would give a huge insight into what he's thinking and feeling, and would kill a lot of the tension. And why should the mech move? The audio makes the outcome of the scene obvious.

The problem is some scenes assume the audience has a vivid imagination

>at least intersperse with shinji's hand shaking or some semblance of movement from the mech as he decides to kill him.

Ahahahahaha!
You are a pleb.

I thought it was more important for showing there wasn't any ticking clock. Unit 01 isn't running out of power, no other enemy is approaching, nobody's struggling against their own nature to give Shinji this chance, Misato isn't activating the self-destruct, there's no pressure coming from anywhere except Tabris saying there is to get Shinji to kill him.

This, it's one of my favourite "less is more" moments in tv & film, a simple static image carrying so much tension and pathos purely because of the context surrounding and the music. Honestly one of the best moments of the OG series pre-Renewal and easily proof that however much we can rag on Anno for the Rebuilds, at this point in time the man did have serious filmmaking talent. And it's in the storyboard animatics for the episode too from earlier in production so claims this is one of the effects of them running out of money/time are false.

Incidentally the idea Gainax were running out of budget is false, it was time they were running dangerously short on due to the terrorist-attack-induced rewrites and mostly affected eps 16-21. The later episodes getting wackier and wackier was entirely on Anno's mental health, not budget constraints. If they were in any real financial trouble it would have taken a hell of a lot longer than a year or so for them to be able to start AND finish production on EoE.

Rebuild 3 is the most kino eva content and whenever I think about this scene in terminal dogma, I can't help but think of the "equivalent" scene from Rebuild 3.
youtube.com/watch?v=CzX3T8ZigRQ&t=94

I don't get anything out of scenes like that by imagining what could be happening. The detached perspective is what makes it so absorbing, interesting and tense.

My favorite part of the still has always been how, even though Kaworu is such a tiny part of the frame, a small blotch of white overwhelmed by this huge purple mass in a sea of pure blackness, it's unmistakeable his head is still tilted up to stare the Eva in the eyes. His sheer confidence is haunting

Whatever people say about the Rebuilds, at least Shiro Sagisu was pulling his weight and then some

I swear Evafags could win the Olympics if mental gymnastics was a sport.

>using your imagination is mental gymnastics
maybe you just have a very weak brain

we know he's struggling to make the decision to kill him, that's all it is.

Imagine actually getting plebfiltered by Eva, geez I thought it was just a meme.

how am i getting plebfiltered by this shitty scene? its him having difficulty to kill kaworu because of the short bond they had. thats what the long pause was for, nothing else

It is the best scene in Eva.

Because this is quite literally the best scene in all of tom and jerry. Maybe ever.

you are an idiot. go watch naruto or something.

They had no time or budget or manpower to animate, user. All these interpretations by pretentious evafags doesn't matter.

Dude why even animate shit? You can just leave 99% of the story to viewers imagination. Just make them read summary on top of static images that change for every 30 minutes.

>there are people who think there is any suspense to this scene, that it is well directed and paced and that it's somehow consistent with the rest of the shows experience, an experience with an emphasis on teenage angst to make even the most retarded viewer understand what was going on

Attached: 1581154868578.webm (640x480, 2.82M)

They should've just told me to pause the screen at that moment.

Eva is so incredibly surface level that using your imagination indeed equals mental gymnastics.

I bet you also think Haruhi's Endless Eight is bad.

That at least wasn't an excuse for laziness. They actually animated it 8 fucking times without losing vigor.

jesus christ, they could have added a pipe dislodging in the backround or water dripping from the ceiling something to make the scene feel alive, at least the elevator scene had little elements like asuka sniffling or her and rei blinking

Because NPCs are incapable of understanding that anime is a product made by people that can be certain ways due to production issues/incompetence. Their line of thought goes - this a deep mature anime - > everything in it has galaxy brain meaning -> mental gymnastics to come up with reasoning why a static shot was deep.

absolutely not

why not? watch that webm do you really think that static shot needed to be that long?

The scene wasn't meant to feel alive

then they shouldnt have shot the scene for that long, the viewer understood what was happening and going to happen long before it ended

Why do evafags bend over backwards to justify the uncreative lazy shit?

>do you really think that static shot needed to be that long?
yes, absolutely

The point wasn't to make you understand either

They are similar to Biblefags. They don't want to accept that there might be flaws in their holy anime. There are literally posters who claiming eva is life-changing and eye-opening experience for them kek

We already know Eva cut corners left and right

NGE isn't even my fav. It's 3rd.

Your top must be lain/tatami galaxy/mushishi/revolutionary girl utena or some gay shit like that

Wrong they were just fucking poor
Although for op's scene it's too dragged out, the

you are supposed to feel his hesitance (the reason for it dragging) but also his conviction (why his hand does not waver). kaworu does not struggle even a little, also, so it shows that he trusts/loves (?) shinji enough to kill him...and perhaps shinji was trying to give him a chance to escape. it's a beautiful scene

>trusts/loves (?) shinji enough to kill him
should clarify i mean kaworu has no issue with shinji killing him

i just download vol 1 and 2 of ANIMA, is worth my time?

>at least the elevator scene had little elements like asuka sniffling or her and rei blinking
Actually a great comparison because that was a re-edit, like half of that episode was animated over again after the fact with post-Eva money. They had the same opportunity to change 24 when they were adding new scenes to it and didn't, so it looks either deliberate or like it just wasn't as important as having a third cut of the elevator where Asuka sniffs and Rei doesn't blink.

Are you saying there's no way to portray those things without cutting corners?

well, no. i'm sure there are better ways, but imo what they did works well. i think someone itt already said it, but you can interpret this bit in many different ways.

if you think it's just laziness on the part of the staff, that's valid

You got Lain right. Thanks for updating my watchlist midwit

Most times when the production suffers you see out of model shots or in general shit animation.
The decision to have a static shot for a minute might come from a need to deal with the production issues, but there are so many other ways to deal with it that it is also obviously a creative decision.

Shinji loves adam and takes good care of him!

Attached: ijrfp1516mi41.jpg (640x640, 56K)

yes i felt his hesitance long before the scene ended, as for his conviction being why his hand did not waver i took it as simple indecision. kaworu tells shinji to kill him so thats obviously why he didnt struggle. i suppose you could have interpreted it as shinji giving him the chance to escape but his hands were clasped around him anyway so i dont see it as that. its a drawn out scene to me there was no need to extend it for that long, unless youre retarded you should have understood everything in 30 seconds or less