Why is modern coloring so bland?

Why is modern coloring so bland?

Attached: hg.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iLHWglZrnC0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because that’s how it looks in real life too. You’d know that if you ever left your mom’s basement.

Is it?

Attached: [OZC]Gundam Reconguista in G E05 'The Enemy is the Capital Army' [1080p].mkv_snapshot_19.3 (1920x1080, 302K)

>cherrypicking

Lack of imagination and the decision to emulate real life.
I love JJBA in particular because the colours and shading are absolutely gorgeous.

because quality went to shit when everything became digital

Why is modern colouring so GREAT?

Attached: [VCB-Studio] Concrete Revolutio Choujin Gensou [23][Ma10p_1080p][x265_flac_aac].mkv_snapshot_18.31.5 (1920x1080, 218K)

People who stream should never be allowed to complain about visual quality.

this entire decade was defined by minimalism and it spread everywhere
I dont mind it in anime myself but I can see where you're coming from

Ugly filters and textures slapped on traced backgrounds is a common practice in the modern anime industry because it's cheaper. No more hand-drawn city backgrounds and the aesthetic of it all is disgusting.

traced backgrounds with filters have been the norm since the beginning of anime, dont kid yourself

Because digital colors are soulless.

Real life looks like bad CG?

This looks like deviantart

Buy good monitor or something.

>traced backgrounds with filters have been the norm since the beginning of anime
It wasn't in the cel days you zoomer faggot

Something about the colors/designs in that era of Gundam series (that 1 and Unicorn for example) has always been offputting to me and I don't know why. It's like a filtered DVD or something.

That's not how this works.
A good looking anime will look good even on the crappiest monitor ever. A bad looking anime will look bad even on a professional Sony OLED monitor.

>zoomer
back to
young one

I say when digital anime became a thing it has become way lazier. Like they have studios dedicated to it with stock generic backgrounds that all look the same.

G-Reco is nothing like Unicorn visually.

Attached: Beam Spinner.webm (1030x580, 2.9M)

Better aesthetic then modern gritty shit cgi backrounds.

Attached: 90s anime.jpg (540x407, 43K)

back to

very pretty

youre using zoomer unironically, youve already shown your hand its time to go back or instead kill yourself
you can't possibly have been here for longer than 2 years

you still see that often. CGI is garbage but that everyone can agree on

look I was going to bash this thread for being fucking stupid but this reply managed to be even more retarded
while some shows make their niche off being realistic, creativity would be so impeded if people were going to restrict themselves entirely to the real - part of what makes an audience love a show so much is being able to find real emotion in the unreal experience

Objectively true

Attached: 1565897046869.jpg (2088x2635, 1.15M)

Why did you use parasyte of all anime to ask that, dumb nigger?
The story literally is a commentary of how shit modern times have become that humans destroy their environment without care so much that God himself sent parasytes to cull humans.

My problem with modern anime is that most of it all looks the fucking same. Take a background from one punch man and slap it in my hero academia. You wouldn't' be able to tell the difference. There's no flare or life breathed into the world for these characters to shine in.

I don't think that a series like Parasite needs to had stylistic or bright colors, it tries to be mundane and gritty so being mutted is kinda logical.

It's not even that common to have series looking mutted like that. The color dessing it's the same person that is doing Vindland Saga this season which looks super bright despite being a series about vikings that is supposed to be realistc.

even modern shows have good backgrounds like this

Attached: 1566542424932.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

The art director and the background company is the same in both thought.

Muted art direction looked way better before digital.

zoom zoom

>PS2-era CG with a blurry photoshop filter applied to it
>good

low iq detected

Attached: 1517646979000.jpg (720x720, 96K)

Attached: SoraYori.jpg (1278x1220, 139K)

>oldfag retards can't handle their shit is actually bad and not up to par
Hilarious.

I get the feeling its mostly hipster newfags who start these threads

>so simple that grade schoolers can draw it
>good

Attached: grimgar.gif (500x281, 1.89M)

Attached: SoraYori.jpg (1200x675, 148K)

Attached: NormNormBiyori.png (1200x675, 895K)

Attached: night.jpg (2280x1140, 846K)

Man the art direction in Concrete Revolutio was fucking perfect.

You look like deviantart

Attached: 02 - Inside The Black Fog.mkv (00.08.12.242).jpg (1280x720, 1.14M)

Attached: 01 - The Tokyo Witch.mkv (00.15.26.050).jpg (1280x720, 1.12M)

Attached: Hisomaso background 3.jpg (1280x720, 199K)

Attached: AkanesasuShoujo3.jpg (1920x1620, 720K)

Sauce?

Because jap normiggers all watch on oversaturated overpriced garabge tvs

Attached: Granbelm 281.jpg (1280x720, 525K)

Chikara was too good for this rotten world.

Maximum comfy.

Go watch kids shows, the coloring in those are great. Aikatsu, Buddyfight, patrol-kun, heybot, so many colorful shows to choose from recently.

good, im glad they stopped wasting so much time and money drawing shit we dont even focus on

Fuck off

if that thing coming out of his sleeve isn't jizz, i got no clue what's suposed to be

Another had top notch visuals.
youtube.com/watch?v=iLHWglZrnC0

Other anime with crazy visuals was Hyouka.

Fuck modern anime and fuck CGI

This show is underrated

Second most underrated show last year.

Troyca's doing some absolute top environmental art in case files

Attached: case files.jpg (2880x3984, 954K)

>posts the half second of the show where the world transforms away from piss yellow

Shut up, retard.

because they have to pander to the widest fanbase possible and having things be not bland would mean the average joe schmoe otaku wouldn't watch

Looks like hi-res cheap CG. With raytracing inching closer to full consumer-grade maybe these cheap asians will try harder instead of penny pinching.

What show is this, friend?

Post a good example then, because ain't comparable to any of

I have to admit, that does look pretty.

There's various texture stamps used to fake scuffs and erosion.
The wooden panels along the ceiling are mirrored and flipped and its shadows don't correspond with the shadow of the ceiling fan, which isn't even lit.
The ceiling itself is a poorly resized texture.
The furnature isn't even resting on the carpet / slightly floating. The carpet is also floating off the floor. The rug tassels are just a solid low-res texture with simple transparency layer applied.

Is this some subtle "5 tone shading" whining?

Attached: very old autism.jpg (480x411, 41K)

the backgrounds were one of the worst parts of the show visually, all flat and evenly lit with no regard for composition or light & shadow. don't be wowed by a bunch of visual noise and stock photoshop textures on wood and shit

The limited 2D colors used in OP's pic doesn't bother me nearly as much as the horrible bland cheaply done 3D environments. The car is an eyesore. The 2D and 3D is inconsistent.
Even Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop used limited colors for characters but it attempted consistency with the characters and environments.

Fair enough. What do you think about Kimetsu no Yaiba's backgrounds? They use a lot of digital effects for snow and rain and things of that nature, but what about the paintings themselves?

Forgot pic. There are better examples than this, but I'm lazy.

Attached: Kimetsu-no-Yaiba.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

Care to explain why in this case less is more?

Some modern art has more tones and the draws look less inmmersivel.

It looks fine, just blurry, but I don't know the context of the image and its largely irrelevent since the background shouldn't be more than equal quality than the foreground elements.
Its a close-up shot so its hard to criticize the background. If you did a close-up clip of your original image instead of having all the access background it would be more difficult for me to critic it as well. Everything I criticized about your previous image was elements of the background outside the character's focal point. If you cut it all out, there's less flaws to notice.

My main complaint for this image is not the background, but the scar(?) on the person's forehead. Its too "clean" and looks like a tatoo.

*excess background

Shit I meant to reply to

>the background shouldn't be more than equal quality than the foreground elements.
boo

Attached: miaballoon1.png (1280x720, 1.28M)

To be fair normally the characters in that anime are equal to the background but you cherrypicked a bad shot.
It irritates me that the background is allotted tiny detail, but they couldn't be assed to give the characters tiny details also.

Ikuni-chan's is always nice

Attached: 1558045028623.jpg (1911x2740, 1.33M)

>watch some chinese cartoons about glorious nippon honor samurais and fearsome yakuza
>come to japan
>mfw it's just non-slav gopniks with extra steps

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

>cherrypicked
That shot isn't particularly unusual. The backgrounds and character art is deliberately done by artists with very different styles. And your opinions suck ass.

Attached: made-in-abyss-screenshot-03.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

Its not unusual for companies to take shortcuts, but your current image doesn't justify your claim. It also exposes you using a shitty encoder or having shitty rips, or not using your own screenshots in which case that owner is to blame.

Its not even worth making constructive criticism on images that aren't raw.

Arigato

>It irritates me that the background is allotted tiny detail, but they couldn't be assed to give the characters tiny details also.
Backgrounds don't move, characters do. They're drawn by different departments.

Lazy excuse not to add a couple more details, even if they're just a few pixels.

YKK are like 4 OVAs, it's unfair to compare that to these weekly anime people are posting.

Flip Flappers wins again

Attached: 95FB8410-BA85-4F81-A572-53409BA304FB.jpg (1000x562, 103K)

My wife Chino is surprisingly Austrian?

There's roughly the same amount of colors used, even if the pallet isn't the same. You're being tricked because OPs image has shading while yours doesn't (the background has gradients, but no shading).
I guess these companies run on very specific budgets. Cereal box or soda can color logic. Don't pay for extra colors if you don't need to.

Because you are watching shitty shows.
And while Sasami-san wasn't animated completely like picture related, the fact that you could do it if you wanted (ie. had a higher budget) makes it superior to analog methods. Jojo was another great example like said, especially during the first two parts since they had only two cours to produce (later parts being double or more in lenght and resulting in much more QUALITY).

Digital coloring makes even shitty shows able to have no problems and that's not something you can say for cheap TV production in pre-digital days where contrast between black and white was terrible and they had to physically mix and match paints to keep colors consistent (which also meant mixing another set of colors for a scene with different ambient light).

Attached: [DmonHiro] Sasami-san@Ganbaranai - Episode 01v2 - I'll Start Trying Tomorrow (BD, 720p) [1B3FAC (1280x720, 99K)

Because you watch shit

Attached: screen-shot-2018-01-13-at-3-59.jpg (2560x1600, 295K)

So what is it op, are you a retard that watches trash, or is this a recc thread?

>Trash in the ShitXX
Case in point

what was the meaning of this again?

Because you've gone colour blind with jadedness

Attached: roses.jpg (1280x720, 93K)

Attached: [dmntsf.net] Fate stay night - Heaven's Feel I.presage flower [Eng Sub 1080p 10bit x265 BD].mkv (1920x1080, 133K)

Those aren't roses.

says whom

That is a beautiful photo

Attached: 4352542.jpg (1280x720, 175K)

Ah, the trademark move of nostalgiafags, "use an OVA/movie and pretend it was the baseline of the industry at the time".
It just never gets old, does it?

Attached: 1377521441940.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

Attached: leaves.webm (720x405, 1.29M)

kino

Digital era may have speedup production, but it wasn't in the favor of background art.

Digital Art is literally bucket paint. That's all there is too it. That's why there isn't much detail anymore.

Another contributing factor is digital art has made artist lazy. They literally only know basic colors and constantly rely on the eye dropper tool.

Attached: IMG_1427.png (675x1280, 512K)

Attached: ic6f55038x531.jpg (1968x3288, 483K)

What a whiney but also misinformed thread
Digital art allows more complicated backgrounds to be made fasters, you guys are comparing detailed OVAS to cartoony styles

Thees plenty of currently airing shows with detailed backgrounds but of course you nitpick to push a narrative

Attached: hanyuuwalk.gif (500x281, 1.92M)