What was the purpose of this character?

What was the purpose of this character?

Attached: Cheetu_anime.png (848x1775, 819K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WZlYGN5W2Yg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>is a long running series
>wHyY aRE TheRe sIDe cHaRaCteRs??

Attached: IMG_20190912_170936.jpg (1077x1053, 70K)

Being fun, being cute, adding a bit of comedic relief, giving Morel exposition, adding a different perspective and a few layers of individuality to chimera ants.
Also, he was kinda hot. (Togashi has a way of designing males, like no other mangaka I've ever come across, that frequently makes me doubt my sexual orientation.)

Attached: 4987373_p0.jpg (660x660, 147K)

The CA arc was jampacked as it is, easily being the longest arc in the serious already focussing on a bunch of different characters. It didn't need to be made longer with his inclusion. Leol can be thrown in the same boat too.

Cheetu was a cheetah in his past life or was he?

youtube.com/watch?v=WZlYGN5W2Yg

Go read One Piece or something if you want fast paced mindless action.

Fur bait. Srsly.

I love Hunter x Hunter though. It's one of my favourite series and probably the best shounen I've read. Also One Piece has a lot more dialogue and world building than action, at least after a certain point in the series anyway. You're avoiding giving an answer. This guy got the closest but I'm not sure what extra exposition it gave Morel, and other Chimera Ant's managed to flesh out that individuality aspect (most notably the ones the Phantom Troupe encounter and Colt).

Imo Cheetu and Leol are the two kinda superfluous ants, but Cheetu shows how on the fly nen contracts can screw you over.

This is shown even better through Kurapika, a character that also has the benefit of also being important to the plot

Kurapika's contract was thought through. Also my bad, Cheetu didn't make a contract, it's been a while since I've read hxh. I think he came up with an ability without thinking and it didn't help him at all.

>what extra exposition it gave Morel
He provided him with some easy "fights" that allowed Morel to show his general approach to battle in a somewhat calmer environment.
The less serious interactions between those two provided much needed contrast to the relatively harsh narrative that was going on the whole time.

>other Chimera Ant's managed to flesh out that individuality aspect
No, they didn't. None of them was like Cheetu. He was a bit silly, a jokester, very cocky and competitive (too much so for his own good). He had his own set of strong and weak personality traits that no other chimera ant (hell, no other character in the series) had, and easily was one of the more sympathetical of the whole bunch for that very reason.
Whithout him, there would have been one important aspect less to chimera ants. Aspects that allowed us to see them not just as a big-bad-organization but as a collective of very different individuals.

>One Piece has a lot more dialogue and world building than action
One Piece has no worldbuilding at all, it's just expanding its world by adding new islands all the time. As for the dialogue, that's largely throwaway lines one could do without.

>makes me doubt my sexual orientation
user, you were always a faggot from the start.

every time the same repeated "defense", hunterfags are truly pathetic

>He provided him with some easy "fights" that allowed Morel to show his general approach to battle in a somewhat calmer environment
We already knew that Morel was a more thoughtful fighter through his conversation with Killua when Killua retreated from the NGL. Also I don't think we needed another reprieve from the darker moments considering we got a good amount of time with Palm's goofy interactions with Gon and Killua, as well as the lighter hearted conflict with Knuckle.
>Aspects that allowed us to see them not just as a big-bad-organization but as a collective of very different individuals
Did you forget that Colt actually ended up working with the Hunters as a "good guy"? What about Ikalgo and Meleoron? What about Welfin's entire arc of being subservient to turning independent, directly antagonising Meruem to his face? You don't get more individualistic than characters directly opposing the cause they were born for

>Did you forget that Colt actually ended up working with the Hunters as a "good guy"?
I didn't say we needed "good guys" among the chimera ants. He wasn't even a "good guy" by the strict definiton (but certainly somewhere in between, with a strong instinct to kill but also a childlike innocence).
What I did say is that we needed a multitude of different personalities, and he sported a kind of personlity that was very unique, not only compared to the other ants. If we just had the big bads and the few good-guy "traitors", that wouldn't add much character to them as a whole. You have to start reading characters as characters, not as plot devices.

>user, you were always a faggot from the start.
Maybe. But Togashi still is the only mangaka whose male characters have that effect on me. (As do his females, but he's not special in that regard.)

>What I did say is that we needed a multitude of different personalities
And we saw that even without the furfag taking up a bunch of screentime
>kind of personality that was very unique
Annoying comic relief isn't unique
>if we just had the big bads and a few good-guy "traitors"
Even without Cheetu we had more than that

>And we saw that even without the furfag taking up a bunch of screentime
He definitely had a unique personality. More unique than most of the chimera ants (I'd argue that only Meruem and his guards are more elaborate characters, maybe Ramoto, Zazan, Werefin and Koruto, but that's it). The more of those different personalities, the better. If you disagree about that basic point of having characters add to the narrative, we can't really argue, as you don't seem to value the same things in writing that most people who read this manga do.

>Annoying comic relief isn't unique
Do I really have to repeat everything I've written before? Are you that dense or do you just choose to ignore two thirds of the argument made?

>The more of those different personalities, the better
I don't disagree at face value, but a lot of time seemed to be spent on him despite him not adding much to the plot, a lot more time than necessary I'd argue. I have a theory that Togashi originally had other plans for him but ended up changing them throughout the arc because they weren't panning out, which resulted in him being strung along with no real overarching purpose that would justify his screen time. This is fine of course, it happens in a lot of stories and I can't blame a writer for having better ideas that lead to some last minute changes, but I don't see the purpose in pretending his implementation into the story added this whole extra dimension to the arc when it really didn't. Also that part about having a childish character with an instinct to kill? Killua already had that covered way before Cheetu.

>Hunterfurries

Attached: f5753870a40ccef114a6cb88e7f48531.jpg (680x680, 85K)

>despite him not adding much to the plot
That's the point of side-plots though. They don't relate to the main plot, but illustrate other aspects of the narrative. You don't always have to have everybody contributing to the main plot in a sinificant way. If that was the case, you could easily get rid of half of the cast of Hamlet: You don't need Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, you don't need Polonius, Ophelia and Laertes, you definitely don't need Fortinbras. But adding them adds three different storylines that affect Hamlet tangentially, illustrate his own character, give a lot more meaning an gravity to the main plot and allow for a more natural plot development and pacing.
Cheetu himself has a bit of a tragic arc going on, if you look beneath the more comedic elements of everything that has to do with him (even down to his rather comical death).

>Also that part about having a childish character with an instinct to kill? Killua already had that covered way before Cheetu.
They have certain similarities, true, but they are also extremely different.
There's the nature/nurture argument of course, where Killua is trained to be a killer from his early childhood, while Cheetu kills because it's in his predator nature.
Killua is mostly a serious and responsible character, Cheetu definitely isn't. The way they are "childish" is very very different.
Cheetu has that overconfidence thing going on and generally is a bit more flawed than Killua is.
And lastly, Killua, even if he was identical to Cheetu in every way, wouldn't add to how chimera ants are illustrated. With Cheetu, you at least see that there are Killua-like characters among them.

>That's the point of side-plots though. They don't relate to the main plot
You can have side plots that at least expand the world. Cheetu doesn't do that outside of having another independent Chimera Ant

To get the job done.

>You can have side plots that at least expand the world.
It's not about the world. It's never about the world.
What I consier one of the best side-plots in world literature is the very brief Rudenz/Berta subplot in Schiller's Wilhem Tell. That one adds nothing to the main conflict or to the "world" and in itself isn't even tragic or comedic or anything, but has its very own themes (loyalty to one own's values) that complement and contrast the main plots themes.

>Cheetu doesn't do that outside of having another independent Chimera Ant
And what's the problem with that? He did add a lot to chimera ants themselves, has a nice little story arc of his own going on, gives Morel some character exposition, adds comedy, provides contrasting pacing (you can skip his chapters if you really feel that non-stop serious action and drama work better) and is an interesting character on his own. That's enough justification, even if you don't care about any of that. You seem to ignore everything I write that you don't personally give any value to.

His fight was meant to be one of the points in the arc where the inferiority of the ants was demonstrated. They are fundamentally insects - their gift is in how quickly they mature, but the concept of mastery was lost on them. They caused significant casualties, but as insects they could only manage to be a transient presence in a world ruled by man.

Attached: Shizuku_standing_over_pike.jpg (1920x1080, 223K)

Like a jobber?

>what if Buccelati had a baby with Gold Experience.

His VA voices hentai

this guy and lel where both there to be defeated by morel to show that experience and quick thinking can surpass power, speed, and crazy abilities, and this was important to the plot too because it makes morel defeat more crushing later on. The whole plot revolves around how sheer power ultimately destroys everything, experience, quick thinking, nothing matters when it comes to enemies like youpi or meruem

Most of ants were meant to show the reader that chimaera ants are individuals with distinct personalities, just like humans.

Cheetah in particular proved that ants are not mindless evil creatures as presented in the earlier chapter, in fact quite the opposite, beings capable of learning and developing. This is very important, because Meruem, who is more intelligent than Cheetah, shows similar behavior after his "battles" with Komugi than Cheetah after fighting Morel, just on a different scale.

The bottom line is, Cheetah helps to introduce one of the main topics of the whole arc - should chimaera ants, and their king in particular, be disposed of under any circumstances?

To be both gay and disturbing at the same time.

Attached: jhygfvtec5jjs.jpg (311x162, 6K)