Why the hell is this anime so acclaimed?

Why the hell is this anime so acclaimed?

I'm not saying it's BAD, it can be entertaining for sure, but it's nothing but an edgefest worthy of the cheapest B class horror movie. Fun, sure, but nothing to be acclaimed as one of the great ones. It has more than 8.5 on MAL ffs.

So can anyone tell me why?

Attached: 9f5753ef3bbb88eb1a158851854bfd6dc7d76b09r1-683-506v2_uhq.jpg (683x506, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D4--z-bFHqI
youtube.com/watch?v=S4tVJASr_54
youtube.com/watch?v=JJIkABWZoOg
youtube.com/watch?v=nx0cbcHxf98
youtube.com/watch?v=sMNww2LSwMM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

are you talking about the original, or Ultimate?

because it ran on like every single country on earth right around the time it needed to for the biggest generation of anime nerds yet to have seen it as children and consider it a classic. and don't ever take MAL scores seriously, ever.

>8.5 on MAL
>MAL

them niggas are the same that give FMAB the top spot, why u referring to them in the first place

Just because something is simple doesn't mean it isn't great.

It's a fun edgefest, and it revels in that.

Both, Ultimate is the most acclaimed one though. Which is kiiiind of ironic cause, taking aside the pulled out the butt bullshit, it has better soundtrack and quality and it takes you for a more conventional anime ride.

I like bad horror movies as much as anyone, but nobody would rate them highly. They are just cheap, mindless fun.

I don't take those scores that seriously, but being a huge web pretty much going around adding shows and rating them, we should consider it important enough.

Where do you guys take "serious" scores from?

Cause it's pretty memorable with Alucard's design, Sera's tits, insane catholic asassins and fucking vampire/werewolf/robot nazis. Maybe it wasn't the best in terms of plot or whatever, but most people remember cool shit happening. Also
>giving a damn about review scores in the first place

From yourself after watching it.

I feel Drifters is a better work. Sadly it's nowhere as famous as Hellsing.

Nowhere, shit doesn't exist. japanese scores might seem more accurate but they're just biased in a different way than the western community.

Pretty much what happened with DBZ huh?

IF ANYONE DOES NOT LOVE THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

this is why "critics" are way too disconnected with reality and people in general, it's very enjoyable, it has great music and likable characters. What do you think the score means? Exactly that, people did enjoy watching it and there can be a plethora of reasons for that. At the end of the day all that matters if whether it's enjoyable or not

Help I don't know what I thought of this anime maybe a score would tell me

#
Most people don't see just being "fun" as a flaw and neither should you. You're no critic, and you get nothing for presenting yourself as someone with "good taste". Lighten up a little.

I just try to enlighten myself by exploring why something I don't find to be THAT good is loved by so many. It's not about saying "ohh this popular anime is crap because everyone but me have shitty taste".

First off, why in the fuck do you give a shit what anything's score on MAL is? 99% of everything has a 7 or an 8 there, the scores are utterly meaningless.

Secondly, "acclaimed" is a very strong word for Hellsing. People like it because, as you said, it's a pretty fun edgefest, but I've never seen anyone taut it as a great example of the best anime has to offer.

Ultimate is the most acclaimed because it has higher production values (mainly in the way of better animation / visuals in general) and a better cast of characters. sure, in the original many of the Hellsing Organization characters get more fleshing out than they do in Ultimate, but the villains in Ultimate were much better as well. Hellsing Ultimate is so loved because it's just a very well refined good edgy time. it just keeps upping the ante every arc until the the invasion of London, which served as a great crescendo to everything that came before. I was kept interested along the ride by good characters, good music (though I think the original was superior in this regard) and good art / animation. I think the 8.5 is warranted.

Attached: herr Major.jpg (1911x1210, 1.41M)

It could be more popular if the author didn't have it half dropped
Yeah, visually, it was pretty memorable. The designs and the cool scenes would stick in your mind. It came out during a big wave of anime popularity, and the fact that it got the Ultimate ovas served to put it at the forefront once again for a new audience. It was mostly good timing.

Are you serious? No scoring system is relevant to anything other than itself. Find reviewers you yourself trust or make your own scores. This idea of some source being the "authority" in scores is retarded.

MAL's scores are just specially irrelevant since they're not even actual evaluations, just averages taken from a bunch of frothing retards.

I might be a little too neurotic but I feel most people can't assign scores properly. Someone loves something and they go ahead and rate it 10 just because they had fun, losing any kind of objectiveness to it.
Good mindless fun can be great and do a nice job, but it is unfair to put that at the same level of a masterpiece just because you enjoyed it.

I guess at the end of the day you are right and scores mean shit.

Nobody decides what they like in such a way. I use scores like most people do, to see what to watch next.

>review scores
>objectiveness

Attached: 1563363967486.gif (375x375, 734K)

>using a scoring system for creative media
brainlet
Hellsing's strength lies in the contrast between its campiness, gory edge and its blunt thematics. If you can't understand why it's considered great and not just another shlockfest you should probably stick to shit like naruto

WoW BRo DoNt'T ThrOw ThaT ArT DegRee On mE

I think Drifters' plot is way more convoluted than Hellsing. Hellsing's plot is pretty straightforward. Also, it's way more "japan-centric" considering how the main characters are historically famous characters from Japan, so a lot of people just don't care about them.

>objectiveness

Are you serious? Let me learn you something. There's a consensus on what's good, because most people find x thing to be good. But that consensus changes over time. Eventually, people think x thing that used to be considered good isn't that good. The consensus changes. Scores can represent consensus maybe, but there's not objectivity to any of this shit. Stop taking everything so seriously and thinking there's a 'right' opinion to have. It's good to know why you like something or what you like about it but nothing is objective.

Anime as a whole isn't really that good either. They all fall into the same trappings no matter what genre it is because they don't know how to tell a story without being too expository. They only thing they got going for them is cool animations.

Attached: thorkell vs thorfinn.webm (1920x1080, 2.84M)

>objectiveness
Oh no buddy, I hope you don't actually believe in objectivity in art.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai - 11 [1080p]_00_02_56_01.jpg (1920x1080, 205K)

if you didn't watch this as a kid, you missed out. I'm sorry, user

also the original's soundtrack is kino

must anime be "good"? is it not enough to be 13 and watch vampires kill nazis, awesomely?

Who the hell told you it was acclaimed?

The TV series' OST was far better than it had any right to be. Shit's fantastic.
youtube.com/watch?v=D4--z-bFHqI
youtube.com/watch?v=S4tVJASr_54

Attached: cross-eyed.jpg (720x480, 20K)

I did watch the first show and I liked it, but at the end of the day it ended up being kind of disappointing due to that crazy era where studios loved to take not finished mangas and just give the stories any crazy ending they wanted.

A lot of time passed and I always thought about watching Hellsing Ultimate. You know, that anime you remember time by time and say you gotta watch it someday.
Then I did watch it, believing "Oh this is like the manga, it's going to be the shit" only to find a show that lacked substance and it replaced it with blood and over the top concepts.

fucking go back

PARTY PARTY PARTY I WANNA HAVE A PARTY

Every Alucard fight:

>Everyone smiles and is happy about killing each other
>Fight begins. Fight seems matched, then the enemy gets an edge and Alucard gets gorefested.
>He unlocks his zenkai power and easily wins cause he is lovecraft-level powerful.

The biggest issue with the TV series wasn't that it went off-course, it's that it basically didn't even have an ending because the budget ran out. Most of the important shit in the final episode literally happens offscreen.
It's also possible they were planning on having a second season to explain all the 'man behind the man' shit and maybe even introduce the nazis, given that the artificial vampire chip had a partial swastika on it and everything, but then had to rapidly change plans once they figured out they weren't getting one.

Attached: freak chip.jpg (320x292, 7K)

>losing any kind of objectiveness to it.
You're just injecting objectivity where it doesn't belong. This isn't math where there's only one correct answer. People just have different criteria for what's good and what isn't.

Abridged is better.
I watched them in this order:
>tv series
>ultimate
>abridged
And I've got to say the tv series is great but abridged is just better.

I NEED TO HAVE A PARTY

You're right however MAL is not really the bastion of objectiveness and anime culture

MAL doesn't normalise their scores.
IMDB does proper gating. New account? No scores. Haven't seen enough movies? no scores. Only rate stuff 9 or 10? score does count but as 1 and 10.

Yes but..
>Major singing Tough Boy

I thought he sang "the sound of music"?

You're not supposed to pretend at being subjective. If you could succeed then the site would have one critic who allocated scores.
Objectiveness is supposed to appear when subjective opinions are viewed as a collective. If something is a niche hit (ie you think it's great but most people don't) then give it a 10 and let everyone else in the world tell you you're wrong.
That said, you can be relative. Try to compare each anime to the best and worst that you've seen.

>2019
>still waiting for the real version of this track that plays during anderson and alucard encounter in the subway
youtube.com/watch?v=JJIkABWZoOg

>edgy
>edgy
>edgy
>edgy
>edgy
>edgy
edgy things can be fun
stop trying to make yourself look older than you want to be

Your honor I would like to present exhibit A, also known as 'Pic related'. I will allow you to see this exhibit and then rest my case.

Attached: 3083945166da2514f7e3637d5d4e482e.jpg (1006x569, 146K)

catboy < seras

>edgy edgy edgy edgy edgy
Can you properly explain why you dislike the material instead of using pointless buzzwords that hold no real meaning?

You seem to have gotten the symbol that is supposed to go in-between catboy and seras backwards, friend...

Attached: 1520734581140.gif (500x555, 687K)

seras > catboy

Maybe it executes on exactly the sort of thing it is in a memorable way

Wasn't the author old as shit?

youtube.com/watch?v=nx0cbcHxf98

Only 46 yo

I genuily prefers the anime to the ova, I feel that the ambience was much better, and it somehow manage to be fun thanks to its many poorly executed moments. I think the english dub, with its incredibely varying quality fits very well.

The OVA is just the manga but worst.

The abridged is the OVA but 10x better

Never said I didn't like it. And I used the word edgefest because it completely applies to this anime. There are nazi vampires guided by a psycho who only wants to watch the world burn, there are gallons of blood every episode and the main character usually gets shredded to bits before gruesomely ending his enemy, everyone seems to be fucked up in the bed and happy about being sadistic psychos going around killing people.
The setting is dark, bloody and everyone in the show acts like if it was the coolest shit ever.

Hellsing is pretty much the definition of edgy.
I'm not using it as an insult though.

Hellsing is one of my top shows for introducing normies to anime. Easy plot, no cringe fanservice characters, lots of gore and edge and a top notch OST.

>This thread reminds me.
youtube.com/watch?v=sMNww2LSwMM

It's just a good ol edge fest, it's a shame string man ended up becoming string boy again and was reduced to a whiny bitch but whatever it was still fun and stupid.

>it just keeps upping the ante every arc until the the invasion of London
Well I'd certainly never complain about dead A*glo's, that was a top Zozzle moment.

I wanna fuck exhibit A.

Attached: __schrodinger_hellsing_drawn_by_yoi_yoi41__616f4a13c0619fae655023a28eafffbf.jpg (1000x1000, 225K)

>no cringe fanservice characters
what is Seras Victoria?

a good character with some fanservice moments

A good girl. Episode 7 of Ultimate is pure kino because of her ascension sequence.

Hellsing is simple, straightforward fun that has a distinctive aesthetic and glories in its excesses without looking stupid. It's what I consider the gold standard of edge.

Best girl you absolute disgrace.

Attached: 52804221_p0.jpg (700x979, 403K)

>I'm not saying it's BAD, it can be entertaining for sure, but it's nothing but an edgefest worthy of the cheapest B class horror movie.
You're making it sound really good.

>MAL
Fuck off

This guy not only draw big tits, he draws some very distinctive big tits. In general the breasts he makes are fine, but when he goes for the big tiddy gal they are quite... round. They literally look like two big and bouncy spheres attached to their chest.
It's not a bad thing, just something I noticed. I guess any of us would be able to notice his distinctive art only by looking at tiddies.

I don't think it was fair for her to kill Hans though, even given he was suicidal

Anderson is enough to make it great.
this, disregard the faggots

>objectiveness

Attached: senku.png (832x1200, 1.11M)

when will Trigun get the same treatment?

It's full of excellent memes and action movie tropes such as over the top one liners. Also "this isn't even my final form" happens multiple times. Fun overall with clear cut bad guys.

>tfw I bought this cd after having watched the entire show
Brings me back.

Are you expecting Dracula to have some kind of training arc where he learns to shoot faster or something?

This

The abridged seris is better anyway, if anything else for how undirectly is a documentary on the changing of the Internet over the years.

Best girl and best servant/waifu.

Attached: 55515054_p3.jpg (1044x744, 1.02M)

>The abridged seris
Kys immidiately.

>MAL
why are you not banned newshitter

>my friends, i love war
What a fucking horrible long-winded speech.

You'd have to be a teenager who doesn't think critically to enjoy style-over-substance series.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 93K)

You can enjoy style over substance series as a non-teenager as long as you don't pretend that it is 'that deep'. Sometimes I just want to see shit get fucked up in a cool manner without dealing with the requisite amount of politicking that it would take a smart show to get me there.

Summer action blockbusters sell well to all ages because pew-pew fight stuff and dumb one-liners are a break from thinking about the here and now.

Apart from everything mentioned here, Ultimate builds up to the battle of London perfectly. You know you're in for the battle of the millenia when the nazi balloons start hovering over London.

>worthy of the cheapest B class horror movie
Some of us find those neat, so this anime seems like a full conclusion of one of those.

It's a period hit. Was absolutely great in its' time, but we got better stuff since then.

The only things that still hold up are absolutely stellar VA work and OST.

>>Everyone smiles and is happy about killing each other
And that's why Hellsing is great, this scene where the three top dogs are all standing still with two huge, elite armies standing right besides them is a perfect way to build up hype before the fight. You're like a fox waiting for the goddamn grapes to fall off the trees as they barely hang on a thread.

Attached: 1zlktu.jpg (1191x671, 138K)

You're the one that made the claim that anime is shit, you have to be the one that gives the evidence.

otherwise I can just say "Yea Forums called all mediums shit" and leave it at that

Fundamentals dont change tho?
Something cant be a plothole to only one person, it either is or isnt.
Of course that would require language to be objective, as in, have clear meaning, but terms have been muddied or time due to missuse so I guess I get where you come from

>because it ran on like every single country on earth right around the time it needed to for the biggest generation of anime nerds yet to have seen it as children and consider it a classic.
This. I still remember how insanely popular it became in Russia when they were showing it on MTV. Literally all teenagers were watching it.