Reminder that this is how fansubbing should be done

Reminder that this is how fansubbing should be done.
If something cannot be translated to English because of cultural differences, leave it in Japanese and explain the meaning to the audience, even if it takes some time.

Attached: One_Piece_38.jpg (640x480, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nah fuck that
Translations need to not only match the target language, but the target culture
That means YES scenes should be changed if they're offensive in the west

Just according to keikaku.

>Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company.

/tn: keikaku means plan

Way too late for that.

>fansubbing got set back 10 years because of this
This is why I'm glad the scene is dead.

God, I miss Kaizoku. They did the best job with One Piece and it's a damn shame their fansubs died in the wayside...

faggot

I still don't see how fucking nakama is untranslatable.

burn in hell

There's no hard rules for translation. Translating "Haki", for example, would be stupid, of course. But leaving Mugiwara like that is weird.

Because the typical/best translation is 'friends', and that's actually missing a lot of the nuance. I guess you could translate it as 'partners', that would be closer, but it might be read as romantic. It's kind of unwieldy to express in english, basically.

Crew is a perfectly good translation, I guess it doesn't have the same emotional weight, but you could still get from context why it is so important.

Same, the difference is minuscule and in no way necessary to understanding the characters and their motivations

comrades
fratres
cymbrogi

"Comrades" seems to get the meaning across pretty well, better than "friends" at least

Crew.

Yeah, comrades would actually work pretty well. I wouldn't argue with that translation.

Watashi no nakama will win this fight! Ganbare Raffy!

>cymbrogi
?????

Welsh

Attached: 1552637224348.png (534x400, 130K)

Yeah, no. 'crew' strips out the emotional weight. 'Comrades' would work, 'crew' would not. It wouldn't be impossible to understand, because you could understand the underlying meaning from context cues, but that in no way makes it a good translation.

Yuck, I now remember the old Gintama fan subs that always had those notes in them

time learn jp and be the change you want to be bby

How about the translators did their work and picked a word based on context. No one ever said every word has to be 1:1 and be translated the same way every time.

>Wanting an unfinished product

But i heard from one of the Steins Gate translators that it's stupid and that you HAVE to Americanize SOME words and phrases or else it's impossible for anyone to understand it!

IF it's not fucking 1 for 1 it's a goddamn bad translation user what's so fucking hard about this?

I wouldn't go that far. imperfect =/= bad, there's always going to be some degree of nuance lost in translation.

But yeah, 'crew' is actually a bad translation.

you will always be my N A K A M A

These notes were useful when I was 11 years old, as Gintama was one of my first anime that I watched subbed.
But it was pretty annoying when I recently watched Pani Poni Dash by some old 480i hardsubs and TVrips, the only ones that exist in English in the internet nowadays.

Dattebayo

>'crew' strips out the emotional weight
And a foreign word doesn't? Specially if you don't even have the cultural background to feel the emotional weight? Having the translators leave "X" everywhere and put a note saying "when characters say "X", you should feel this" it's far from an absolute solution.

Why is it only this type of shit that attracts the localization cum slurpers? When Mandarin or German or whatever other language you can think of gets translated, a lot of things are left as is because it would ruin the meaning or the pacing to change it. It's why we say feng shui instead of holistic spatial arrangement.
Anyone who thinks dear big brother is a better option than just leaving it as onii-sama is not only a fucking retard, but is more concerned with whether or not their interests and hobbies are socially acceptable than they are with whether or not they actually enjoy the things they spend their time and/or money on, because that's the only argument these people have. "Ew that's too weeb-y, make it English even if it looks like something a 5 year old would write."

How does crew strip emotional weight when people with a large group of friends refer to them as a crew all the time in western media, my crew, band, group, ect

this. if you want localised meanings watch the dub

To this day I don't get the meme about "emotional weight". A TL is almost always going to be worse than the original due to losing nuance, context and etc. If you care that much about the "emotion" behind the words then learn Japanese. Using words like nakama, keikaku, daijoubu and whatever other garbage is pointless. Honestly, even honorifics are pretty pointless when it comes to it. adaptions.

Why is that attitude so prevalent in Light Novel translators? I swear, most of them think they are fucking Shakespeare when it comes to translating Light Novels.

There's no one end-all-be-all method of translation, and no matter how you do it you'll piss off someone. It's very much an art, really.

Attached: 1567659103700.jpg (2048x2048, 671K)

The significance is learned because a foreign word brings with it no baggage like known words.
Who out there would die for their band?

youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

Honestly though, is 仲間 that deep of a word? I've been hearing stuff like you're a 仲間 when you'd die for your 仲間 or stuff, but I haven't really seen a nip explanation for it.

>なかま【仲間】
>歴史的には,江戸時代における商工業者が互いの利益を守るために結成した同業組合のことをいう。その中で幕府や藩の公許を得ていたものは〈株仲間〉と呼ばれた。この仲間メンバーの人数は限定されていたので,それへの加入権は株として譲渡・売買された。仲間は規約・役員を定め,寄合をもち,公儀への金品の上納や人的奉仕と引換えに,営業上の保護と独占特権が与えられた。また生産や価格の相互規制を行うとともに,いっしょに行楽や参詣に出かけるなど,今日の同業者団体と変わらぬことを実施している。

I dunno, that sounds a bit like "comrade" to me. A bit business-like, perhaps.

Attached: 1565293790211.jpg (300x304, 37K)

The emotional significance of the word "crew" would also be learned. And it would actually be a word in English.

I can't be bothered to find the chapter since I haven't read One Piece in years, but I remember a manga page where Nami wonders if some random no-name soldier they're dealing with is a Nakama of other no name soldier they saw before. She surely was wondering if they had a deep and powerful friendship, right?

You mean Condoriano?Or the return to Sabaody arc?

The guys in band of brothers maybe? Or the band of the hawk?
If you dont think band or crew carry the emotional significance of comradeship you need to learn your english better.

here's your (you)

Attached: fishychan.jpg (680x510, 47K)

My name Is Drakul Mihawk and I'm the Sexiest One Piece male !!!!!!

Surpass me Roronoa !!!!!!!

Attached: IMG_20190915_004145.png (271x459, 256K)

actual, unironic weebs casually forgetting english words have nuances too and their precious japanese subleties are largely irrelevant when conveying extremely simple concepts in children's comic books

Ackshually, japanese words are folded over a thousand times, given them layers of meaning that a baka gaijin like you will never understand. Now excuse me, I have to get my asthma spray.

Both you and OP are retards. Changing story content is never acceptable. Neither are translator-note wall of texts.

I for one am so glad I started with Kaizoku and not the soulless official english subs or anything else.
For this "nakama" thing amongst other language issues but also for the graphics of the signature fighting moves and other custom fonts and other efforts. I fucking love that shit.
I was so glad that at least two subbers took up that torch for the arcs that kaizoku didn't get up to and improved upon this custom graphics move telegraphing.

I think vegapunk subs did it for a short stint and there's another whose name escapes me that followed on from there.
None of them seem to have done it for long, but I'm thankful nonetheless.
Does anyone know the names of the other fansubbers that went through these efforts?
Fansubbers are the real MVP.

From what I managed to glean, the guy who was in charge of it just got caught up in real life.
Had a family or got some demanding job or moved or some shit.

>I don't have the skill to translate, so I just wont
What a bold and brave position they are taking...

>it's ok for fansubbers to smear their shit all over the screen even though it wasn't part of the creator's original design because it "looks cool"
I bet you also hate dubs for "disrespecting" the original without a hint of self-awareness too.

Attached: 1551584521709.jpg (428x422, 25K)

>even though it wasn't part of the creator's original design
Anime is different from manga.
Also, it's translated from another language in the first place. If i wanted the creator's original vision I'd learn japanese and only read the manga.
The dubs are shit because the VA's are always the same handful of bargain basement types.
Stop being so autistic.

Nakama literally just means "a member of the same group as you". The best English equivalent is honestly the phrase "one of us". It can absolutely have emotional weight, but if it does, it's contextual.

Ironic weeb fails to understand discussion as usual.

Mates/Partners>Nakama

>I guess it doesn't have the same emotional weight
The word itself doesn't have the weight, it's the stroy the one that gave the word that powerful meaning, if they had trnslated nakama with crewmate/comrade/partner then those would be the words with the weight behind it.

That's the dictionary definition and the way it's used in most Japanese media, but isn't its usage in One Piece atypical even in the context of Japanese media and spoken, everyday Japanese in general?
I mean, Oda took a Japanese word and in his story made it mean more?
That's what I've heard about OP is all. Dunno whether it was true or not.

>Luffy
>using watashi

So the meaning isnt even contained in the language itself but in the contextual meaning of the word itself? Then how does it matter if its translated like this or like that.

>Then how does it matter if its translated like this or like that.
I suppose because the translated word won't mean the same as what was intended. Eg. "Crew" means something to english speakers, same with "Comrade" or whatever else was mentioned up thread. Unless there was a translator's note prefacing
>"hey I know we used "crew" but ackshually in this story "crew" doesn't just mean "crew" it has a special snowflake extra deepest lore spechul meaning so keep that in mind every time we use this everyday ordinary word that doesn't have the meaning it's supposed to - don't forget!"
I suppose that's why it would matter, and so using a foreign word helps to emphasize this "special meaning". This is all hypothetical by the way, as like I said I don't know whether or not this is actually true; it's just what I've heard.

The last thing you said I can't disagree more with.