So what is the most pretentious anime ever?

So what is the most pretentious anime ever?

Attached: pokemon.jpg (1280x720, 117K)

Texhnolyze

Pokemon:
>muh pokeball
>muh friendship
>muh catchemall

Frannies in the Pannies.

Anything by Post-Utena Ikuhara

Hunter x Hunter. It's just too deep4me.

Cereal Eggspearmint Lame

HxH

Utena

Fate shit

Why is Ash a moeblob now?

Ergo Proxy. I had to drop it because I couldn't stand the pretentious bullshit, and I usually like toodeep4you anime.

Attached: 97c72c608bd3bf11d99c59cfe69156f5.jpg (1748x2042, 3.02M)

oh boy, sarrazagay was so bad, I dropped it after two episodes or something.

t.Paul

Attached: blogger-image-57555226[1].jpg (640x480, 58K)

Bleach

Fuck you Paul.

Attached: pretentious-core.png (786x1097, 1.55M)

3 of those are bad BAD user, not pretentious

Anything made by Yuasa
Anything made by Ghibli

Wantonly accusing things of being pretentious can bite you in the ass and make you look pretentious instead for being so judgmental and haughty.

That was a year ago, he's an ugly CGI model now.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 117K)

Attached: 543426323.png (789x710, 552K)

The ironing.

Bakemonogatari

Christ I hated watching that trash.
Runner up for me is ZZ Gundam because it tries so hard to make Judau look right when he's actually just being a dipshit that could've gotten someone or large groups of people killed.

Attached: 1368116026956.jpg (225x223, 22K)

Omg nailed it.
So is Eva the only non pretentious deep psychological anime ever?

Still 9/10 tho.

Attached: hARUKA.jpg (2000x800, 830K)

Limit Cycle.

Attached: ruri.png (515x552, 511K)

It is deep but the fans are pretentious as hell.

Yes.

Take out monogatari and SnK, you actually need a working brain to understand the subtext but the rest is pretty accurate

Utena isn’t pretentious. Reminder that a pretentious show doesn’t have any deep or mature content and still tries to present itself as mature and thoughtful. Since Ikuhara does the opposite, a light-hearted presentation that may seem as rule of cool but gets better and more the more you think about them on a deeper level, I believe his shows are the antithesis of pretentiousness. Now I’m about to compare it with 2 shows that are actually pretentious.
Penguindrum and Utena vs Madoka and Fate/Zero

Madoka Magica: tries to shock you with awful anticlimactic death scenes and overstates the message of death and how being a magical girl can make you suffer.
Mawaru Penguindrum: a light comedy that uses symbolism and an allegoric visual presentation that slowly transitions from a family drama to a metaphysical tragedy
Fate/Zero: characters scream the message on lengthy, meaningless dialogues that go to nowhere
Revolutionary Girl Utena: the message is implicit and on the details and they don’t give you all the information and details of the speech until you think about it.
Unlike Urobutcher, Ikuhara doesn’t give you all the answers immediately through awful infodumps while still pretending it’s mature and meditative. Really sad how anybody respects his work nowadays.

the entire Ghost in the Shell license unironically.

This

Read the manga

Nothing anyone suggests can beat this in pretentiousness.

Attached: p15702051_v_v8_aa[1].jpg (960x1440, 254K)

Over half this list could be renamed into "anime Yea Forums doesn't like because the hivemind said popular = bad"

Probably Mirai Nikki but Naruto is also quite pretentious

What does 'pretentious' mean exactly for you anons?

Attached: 11ea01854b381fa350ca6ed8c77fe13b.png (394x373, 185K)

Not candid.

See

Something that pretends to be deeper than it actually is.

dr stone

Evangelion. A textbook example.

Elaborate

It's still nowhere near as pretentious as the rebuilds

No, this is as pretentious as Shokugeki no Souma. It never tries to be anything more than some show about science facts for teens.

Overly self-serious
Tryhard 'deep' dialogue
Shallow references to philosophers

I read it, it's even worse than the anime adaptations and the manga was actually forgettable, it became cult because of the Oshii movie which have a different tone.

OP here.
I made this thread ironically. There is no thing like pretentious anime.

Pretentious:
>the entire Arise continuity
>SAC's Laughing Man arc
>live action movie

Meaningful:
>everything else

Parasyte: The Maxim where it’s themes are hammered into the viewers head and tries to be deep with it’s messages of how humans are the real monsters and environmental messages.

Hell there is a scene where one of the characters goes into a college for them and the audience to be lectured about the shows theme of altruism

>Girls' Last Tour
why though? :c

see: frannies in the pannies

Attached: deep-924.jpg (1280x720, 36K)

And the worst MC ever created on human History. Perfect for those /vp/athetic lowlifes.

dr stone easy one

Imagine this isn't a pasta and someone unironically thinks that.

Attached: armin-in-attack-on-titan-is-one-of-erens-closest-friends.jpg (1300x650, 84K)

>retards throwing together random shit to imitate legit deep works on surface level
Ergo Proxy, Texholyze. Flip Flappers, Revue Starlight
>Creators whose talent is undermined by a very bad case of head stuck in own ass
Satoshi Kon, Mamoru Oshii
>Literally cancer
Ikuhara.

Vinland Saga

this is just a rec chart btw

Urobutcherfag alert!

>Revue Starlight
Care to extrapolate?

Better question: what is the most pretentious criticism an audience could give?
>m-muh no character development

Something like
>This show really missed out on making a greater point about (current political issue everyone's sick of hearing about)

Out of all the ones on that list, that's the one you disagree with? It's the only fucking anime on there that actually fits the category he placed it in.

How's that?

>Flip Flappers
Sounds like someone cannot comprehend the deep thematic intentions of the use of sodium vapor lamps.

Monster is a masterpiece.
Cope you fucking subhuman.

More like a 7/10

You forgot Angel's Egg.