What’s the most pretentious anime you ever watched?

What’s the most pretentious anime you ever watched?

Attached: EE7185A9-C03F-4132-9168-D27D419497B0.jpg (480x270, 96K)

Texhnolyze

Lain
Giant Robo

Angel's Egg, maybe.
Not to say that I didn't like it.

>Giant Robo

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Joshikousei no Mudazukai - 01 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_19.30.379.jpg (1920x1080, 200K)

Beat me to it.

Bunny girl. Didn't even finish it.

Mind Game (which was a movie, but still counts)

Petite Cosette

Attached: Cosette_Eiri_290.jpg (720x576, 59K)

Gankutsuou easily.
If you think Lain is worse after having watched both then you have down syndrome.

ever watched cult propaganda anime? shit is wild.

Attached: images.jpg (189x266, 23K)

For what cult was this? The sarin gas attack one?

OP is retarded

Nah, Happy Science, but they're also crazy.

Apparently the Sarin gas cult (Aum Shinrikyo) actually tried to kill the leader of the cult that anime was made by (Institute for Research in Human Happiness / Happy Science)

Bakemonogatari, I powered through it but couldn't bring myself to watch the other seasons. It's so hallow and boring. Did people only like it for the 'word play' and the so called waifu's?
The backgrounds are too simple and empty. When they try to do experimental stuff or when they try to play with the perspective the characters look ugly and I don't know if they were trying for realism or the key artist was heavily using a reference and forgot to try to make the character on model.

>Happy Science
Fun fact: Kyoani's first solo animation work was for these guys.

>What’s the most pretentious anime you ever watched?
Your favorite anime

Attached: 1553361496330.gif (500x281, 1.52M)

It’s the foot fan service and nothing more

"what's the most pretentious forced and failed memeword you ever heard?"

I thought it was different which was nice when you've watched a lot of anime already. I don't know if I'd call it pretentious more that the studio that adapted it had to do something visually interesting for a show that is very dialogue heavy.

Probably Re-creators. I mean you have mangakas in the show depict themselves as gods essentially.

Anything by Ikuhara

Any relation to Happy Happyism from Earthbound?

Is that the Battlefield Earth of anime?

I did too, it's called The Rebirth of Buddha.
It tries to go about as just another religious symbolism anime movie and then at one point it literally has a ten minutes lectures about the cult's retarded beliefs.

No, Happy Happyism was based on Aum Shinrikyo, down to the purple color scheme.
Same cult, they made a bunch of movies.

Certainly not innocent and fairly messily executed Kaiba

Origins spirits of the past

There's no such thing as pretentious anime

I think you may be possible the wrongest person on the planet.

Madoka Magica or Fate/Zero
I disagree

What a pretentious post

Monogatari series or madoka
2 best earning anime btw

Ping Pong

I don't think so
There are just butthurt pseudo intellectuals who compare every other show to NGE or LOGH expecting them to be deep in realistic way while there are some shows that are more about bringing out associations and self interpretation

It being different was why I tried to give it a chance and powered through it. But it was all it had. I understand trying to make something so dialogue heavy entertaining is hard. But in all honesty, most of that dialogue could have been thrown out. Not to mention all the redundant running jokes or the pun tangents or when they were arguing about references they made- there didn't need to be so many of them so close together.

I'd say Cat Soup, didn't get any of that. Maybe I wasn't old enough?

Probably, and you're also missing a lot of context if you don't know about the manga, the author etc.

HxH

Here's a (you)

Shinsekai Yori easily
I am actually mad that a very interesting premise devolved into psychology bs

Same only one i agree alao with the posts above this Gankutsuou and Lain

LOGH

Sounds interesting, I'll probably watch later.

Paranoia Agent. Ok, the shounen bat is actually a materialization of stress and anxiety of the protags. I already figured out at the first 3 episodes or so. SO WHAT?
I liked the one where 3 people want to commit suicide but they are already dead. It was very comfy. But by no means it's an anime masterpiece

That's only half the answer, he's a manifestation of SOCIETY's guilt and paranoia.

OP asked

You should watch the audio commentary from the director. Most of it was just thrown together without much thought about "subtext" or anything like that.

Belladonna of Sadness is the only one that comes to mind. Most other series that people are mentioning I feel like are just opaque (see: JJ Abrams' "mystery box" writing) but aren't actually avant garde or experimental beyond maybe a single "Mind's Eye" episode, dick riding the legacy of Evangelion.

Belladonna of Sadness is a barely watchable slideshow with a paper thin plot, desperately trying to be like an anime equivalent to Fellini Satyricon or The Color of Pomegranates.

> Gankutsuou, Petite Cosette

These aren't pretentious, they're just reflective of Francophilia in Japan. It's a opulent coat of paint but neither really pretends to be something more.

Well you're not wrong. At least the OPs make up for it.

Except for that cringe live action one for Hanekawa, at least they changed it at the end

You mean society’s WHITE guilt

>Giant Robo
Why? It doesn't try to be anything more than a homage to Mitsuteru. Did someone delude you into watching it with high expectations towards the plot? It's a very derivative show and never tries to hide it.

Meduka

steins gate

the infamous HxH chimera flashback was pretty bad

VeG

Wings of Rean
I still have no idea what the whole point of the characters were, like the angsty teen who chopped up the Tokyo Tower for some reason
And the final scene got me more confused, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be alluding to Lot's Wife turning into a pillar of salt or what the deal was

Attached: 28902.jpg (360x360, 27K)

This

NGE

Kara no Kyoukai

Attached: 222057.jpg (400x580, 103K)

I love this meme

Evangelion

Based Yuasa filtering shonenshitters and moetards

Haruhi

NGE.
Oregaru.
Bunny Girl.
Elite Classroom.
All the monogataris.
Madoka.
3-gatsu no Lion.
Re zero (ep. 15 ending).

Shaft is definitely the king of pretentiousness. Their whole model is to make pretentious anime for coombrain otaku scum to wank over, literally and figuratively.

Monogatari.

LoGH us really honest
SHIT by yuasa ir monogashit is pretentious as hell

Definitely monogatari. A chad such as myself prefers HxH

ergo proxy, there's about 4-5 references to entry level philosophy every episode despite the fact the show ended in a physical battle

Erased

Space dandy

You can't judge pretentiousness that easily. There is a difference between actual pretentious "college artfilm" and just incompetent theming and storytelling.

Madoka
Fate/Zero
Monogatari
Ergo Proxy
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
3-gatsu no Lion
Hunter x Hunter
Monster
Death Note
Kara no Kyoukai
Attack on Titan
Erased
Psycho-Pass
Shinsekai Yori
Kino's Journey

This isn't a coincidence

Attached: coincidence.jpg (426x302, 41K)

Attached: 490.jpg (627x626, 48K)

Psycho Pass.

The show was trying to be an interesting dystopian series, but didn't really have much in the way of substance.

Attached: 57109771_2168199609922511_6591426402967355392_n.jpg (738x389, 20K)

Brainlet

FLCL

This

MONOGATARI SERIES.

Attached: screen-shot-2013-08-24-at-12-53-18-pm.png (480x270, 108K)

Is this the brainlet thread?

I AM SOUP.

>Nips feeling guilty about anything

seems more like the I've barely watched any anime the thread considering the choices, satan

this.

even though I enjoyed, sometimes it was fucking too much. The series could have
been so much more if some parts added just a little bit more seriousness to it

Define "pretentious".

basically, you

TRYING TO BE DEEPER than it actually is. USE GOOGLE, INBRED.

Lain
Fate Zero

THAT DOESN'T EVEN make sense.

No. Absolutely not.

hunter x hunter

Attached: hunterkeks btfo.jpg (184x184, 11K)

The fanbase is pretentious, the anime is just garbage

calling anime pretentious is pretentious

Attached: 1567793425953.jpg (1379x1046, 460K)

Wrong.

As expected, you cretins just like having a buzzword for series hailed as profound and which you happen to dislike.

I normally love yuasa but devilman was waay too fucking on the nose with the "people are the real demons" shit

Might be just built into the premise but fuck maybe you can be more subtle about it

why

Correct on this powerpoint of a show

If it requires "trying" there needs to be proof it was actually attempting to, i.e. director interviews. Otherwise you can just chalk it up to incompetency at exploring themes.

THAT IS WHAT IT MEANS. THE Exact google definition is

"attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed."

THE SAME THING I SAID.

"Trying to be deeper than it actually is."
YOU DUMB INBRED.

>You mean society’s WHITE guilt
But he was in Japan

Incompetency from the director or the audience? Another way to tell if it is attempting is if it is inconsistent, flawed or contradictory. That is objective.

According to this thread, everything that is dialogue heavy or has an unconventional art-style

Dr Stone

Tries too hard to impress the viewer and ends up insulting his intelligence.

The Kizumonogatari trilogy is in my top 10, but the rest of the series is subpar.

Attached: 16_Udai1.png (960x720, 689K)

LOGH barely has any depth, it's just a pretty straightforward story. A damn good one, yes, but it really isn't that deep like other shows are.

OP's birth.

THOSE MOVIES WEE THE WORST dogshit. This proves the fans just immature people trying to be intellectual.

Dumb namefag, I literally said I don't like the rest of the series. Kizu is the best monogatari has to offer, cope harder.

KIZU IS THE WORST IT had to offer you inbred no-namefag.

> Ergo Proxy

Shit, good call. Forgot about that one. One of the most pretentious single things in any anime I've seen is that a bunch of the rando side characters are named after continental philosophers (Deleuze, Guattari, Kristeva, etc.) for seemingly no reason other than to try to make you think the creators actually know philosophy.

anything by urobutcher

FMA:B/Manga

Tie between Raxhephon and Subete ga F ni naru.

Probably Lain.

this but every season after bakemonogatari

RahXephon was the exact opposite of pretentious.
it was just a love story between a boy and delicious cake.

>giant Robo
Dilate and die tranny
40%!

any anime that references shrodinger's cat

Attached: 1488050733247.jpg (604x453, 73K)

Monogatari, NGE

Every Yuasa anime ever.

Attached: masaaki yuasa is pretentious.png (500x182, 7K)

Fuck you scumbag.

HxH

>Giant Robo
Retard

Sarazanmai

Dr Stone
It's the shounen anime equivalent to History Channel documentaries about mermaids, ancient astronauts and Jesus.

SHAFT's -gatari series.

the strongest characters both have dead creators so

>attack on titan
i dont think you know what the word pretentious means

Puella Madoka Magica

ITT: Mongoloids unable to understand anything without beong spoonfed.

I don't see bakemonogatari as pretentious. even though it looks 2deep4u it's still obviously made to be entertaining.

has nobody mentioned Zankyou only because nobody remembers fucking Zankyou?

Attached: file.png (319x450, 215K)

gurren lagann

Says the 11 yo wanker who still pretends that his little girl shows are deep and demanding.

Attached: AOTS Spring 2014.jpg (485x459, 56K)

Attached: Colorful_%282010_poster%29[1].jpg (250x359, 179K)

Attached: pretentious-core.png (786x1097, 1.55M)

Everyone KNOWS being an idol blows dick, literally and figuratively, Yamakan, this wasn't news.

Attached: ed8375ecb2b2565766ad4afea4f658261507330691_main.jpg (1064x1596, 214K)

kaiba is just funny show where happy man make silly face

Attached: [RH] Kaiba - 06 [AAA417B6].mkv_snapshot_16.12_[2019.09.04_10.16.00].jpg (1920x1080, 96K)

do the wake up girls suck dick to climb to the top of the idol world?

Sold like hogs at an auction.

Attached: Wake-Up-Girls-Ep-2-Img-0005.png (1280x720, 367K)

Elfen Lied
Mnemosyne
Fate series

Attached: rin-daughters-of-mnemosyne.jpg (640x360, 34K)

Gurren Lagann, because for the past 10 years or so I had been hearing about how it was literally the best thing ever, but what I got was a melodramatic shit fest full of unlikable characters, a Mary Sue, and a second half that's somehow worse than the first half, but people still hail it as some kind of Godsend. It tries to be one of those anime that forces the watcher to have a reaction to it, but the only thing I thought was "Wow, 26 episodes of absolute dribble." I'm fucking sick of TTGL and its retarded as fuck fanbase trying to preach about it and how it changed their lives and BLAH BLAH BLAH. It has some decent animation and that's literally it.

Attached: 1555269574960.jpg (952x536, 94K)

Absolutely this. Although I dont believe Gurren is pretentious in and of itself, the fanbase that hails it as some sort of S tier anime is goddamn bonkers. Its like being told that S1 Space Dandy is on par with Cowboy bebop.

One of my greatest anime disappointments tbqh.

As far as most pretentious anime goes my monies probably on Elfin Lied

>5CPS
>pretentious

Nigga its just a pretty movie about children falling in love. Why people gotta be bitter?

You're one of those supreme ultra mega faggots that thought Space Dandy was going to be the exact same as Cowboy Bebop because you didn't actually follow anything about it because you're one of THOSE Watanabe fans.

Petite Cosette was going for a straight up visual art type of thing. There wasn't any kind of specific meaning it was trying to get across.

Unironically Goblin slayer. It pretends it's a serious and grim take on medieval fantasy anime showing their absurdities when in truth it's just masturbatory schlock and characters written like idiots to make the mc look smart.

Untrue. I was expecting more of a Hitchhikers Guide vibe. But the first season fell flat outside of a handful of episodes because it lacks any heart and the comedy is pretty goddamn flat. I thoroughly enjoyed the vast majority of S2 though.

Attached: Screenshot (72).png (1920x1080, 1.66M)

Aum only made short animations for advertising and self-published manga to sell their beliefs afaik

You can't have seen much anime if fucking goblin slayer is the most pretentious thing you've seen

he wanted to wake up the sheeple

Angel's Egg by far, nothing comes even close in terms of pretentiousness

Anything by studio Trigger.

Brainlet getting filtered as intended.
This

Attached: Kaiki thinking.jpg (1920x1080, 227K)

red pill me now, please

>do I fit in yet?

Attached: 1451600611810.jpg (760x596, 201K)

>that entire bottom row
This is the worst bait I've ever seen. Learn what pretentious means first, you fucking brainlet. Or better yet, kill yourself.

Evengelion

The only pretentious thing ITT is retards trying to bait for replies with their ignorant opinions.

the author wasn't very stable
the success and popularity of nekojiru pushed her into committing suicide
the anime Cat Soup takes some of her stories and mixes them together, it's something of a tribute to her. If you replace the sister cat with the author Nekojiru, and the brother cat with her husband, you'll probably understand better what Cat Soup is about.

Just google nekojiru and read up on her, especially the letters from one of her friends like pic related.

Attached: nekojiru - memories of a rave.jpg (583x881, 116K)

I have around 250 days of watched anime according to taiga.
Most anime people call pretentious are really not, they are either different looking for the sake of being different looking or name dropping philosophers. Or, at worst, they use cliches while saying that they are cliches, but this is so cliche at this point it's no longer pretentious.

GS is one of the few shows that is written and presented as this mature and adult world and story when it's just unfair and childish.

Liz and the blue bird.

>Elfin lied
The only pretentious thing about it was the OP. the anime itself wasn't pretentious at all, just blood & tits

>name dropping philosophers
This really isn't pretentious to you? A show trying to look smart by referencing philosophers and obscure works is by definition pretentious.

Something like Goblin Slayer is just a show that knows it's really edgy and the dumb premise is played up to 11.It does all of that to draw people to the series, not to make itself seem super important and intellectual.

"Limit Party" by Hideki Futamura. Its all style no substance film student thrash.

Attached: ishot-18.jpg (1017x572, 87K)

Death Parade. Pretentious moralising garbage about one of the soulless puppets drawing out the darkness hidden in the human hearts by forcing dead people to play games and discovering his humanity even for a brief moment. The only good thing about it is Madhouse showcasing pretty interior designs and space billiard, but that's it.

It's just a bad westaboo show with terrible jokes, not even pretentious.

Attached: 960x0.jpg (960x540, 85K)

definitely bunny girl."badass" self insert mc thats good at everything, always coming up with snarky comebacks as well as "life advice" for the viewers. you know its bad when the studio of the anime has the MC's dick far in their throat

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 66K)

Kara no Kyoukai

For this thread it means "I don't like it"

Literally poor man's Bake

he's narcissistic with a wicked sense of humour

casshern sins

based

Attached: 1481836612806.jpg (354x259, 75K)

Sad, only three based people here including me

The AOTS was a tie between Ping Pong and Dandy though. It's not debatable.

Absolute trash taste. Get a fucking clue, hipstertards.

Madoka Magica, because for the past 10 years or so I had been hearing about how it was literally the best thing ever, but what I got was a melodramatic shit fest full of unlikable characters, a Mary Sue, and a movie that's somehow worse than the show, but people still hail it as some kind of Godsend. It tries to be one of those anime that forces the watcher to have a reaction to it, but the only thing I thought was "Wow, 12 episodes of absolute dribble." I'm fucking sick of PMMM and its retarded as fuck fanbase trying to preach about it and how it changed their lives and BLAH BLAH BLAH. It has some decent animation and that's literally it.

Attached: puellamagimadokamagica.jpg (350x396, 49K)

DUDE IT LOOKS LIKE SHIT ON PURPOSE

YOU JUST DON'T GET MY UNIQUE ART STYLE

Attached: 1486765432330.jpg (1274x720, 166K)

I actually agree with this, those two were a cut far above the rest.

Summer wars and girl who leapt through time. I didn't even know it was made by the same guy.

Attached: weekend_summer.jpg (1200x900, 192K)

Eminem lookin ass

Bakemonogatari

How was it melodramatic when a lot was at stake?

The bunny girl was fucking awful

Attached: E13A46F1-7DC8-465A-9A39-032AC2BA2F99.jpg (424x600, 54K)

This thread is pretentious.

How does Yea Forums do it? Even with all it's flaws it still manages to maintain a level of quality far above the other media boards.

Why does the word “pretentious” trigger all the perpetual teens on this board?

Because retards like you don’t even know what pretentious means

How was Avengers Infinity War and Endgame melodramatic when a lot was at stake?

Attached: 1505123127599.png (770x648, 418K)

> 3 masterpieces; 2 good, albeit with some flaws; 2 that don't even pretend to be deep in any way; 1 bad, but with genuine ideas; 1 actually pretentious.

Imagine having such a tiny underdeveloped brain that you can't even tell which ones are which.

Attached: 41101790126be9a68ae2dc9e8c618458.jpg (987x657, 124K)

>3 masterpieces
Lain, Berserk, Mushishi
>2 good, albeit with some flaws
NGE, Texhnolyze
>2 that don't even pretend to be deep in any way
NHK, LOGH
>1 bad, but with genuine ideas
Tatami Galaxy
>1 actually pretentious
Cowboy Gaypoop

How was bunny girl pretentious?

It was just garbage

>Cowboy Gaypoop
that's FLCL you casual pleb.

Don’t forget that song that Asahara Shoko made
I haven’t heard the whole thing but I think it’s mostly him singing “Asa-hara Sho-ko” over and over again like some kind of big demented Pokémon

Naruto.
Like unironically though.

This show sucked.

Genuinely will never get this meme. How someone can claim for Ping Pong to "look like shit" is beyond me. Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy I can understand. They are literally flash shit.

Attached: 1553998548915.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

same shit

>that shot
>doesn't look like shit sketched by a sophomore during a boring lecture
Have your eyes checked.

Attached: 1438152454925.png (760x428, 455K)

Still looks ugly as sin

>Girls' last tour
You're a NIGGER

All I remember of this is "lets be terrorists, but wait, make sure nobody gets hurt because we're not actually terrorists"

Even monkeys can draw like that

Everyone remembers it for being underwhelming

Anyone who says Kaiba looks like shit can fuck off and come back when they've got some taste

Sounds to me like you suffer from an extremely limited palette. But hey, who am I to judge. When I had senn 100 anime I likely behaved similarly.

This. Angel's Egg.

Unbearable.

>NGE
>*Oregairu
>Bunny Girl
>Monogataria
>Madoka
>3-gatsu no Lion
>Re zero

That's actually a fucking cool list of recommendations

>purposely being vague to save face because he knows if he was specific everyone will laugh at his dumbass

Kizumonogatari nqa

Bakemonogatari in a nutshell:
>he finds girl
>he spergs out for half the episode being the mouthpiece for his writers autistic ramblings
>then finally takes her to Oshino
>Oshino fixes problem
>he gets his ass beat in the process
>"You're so nice, Araragi-san, you fixed my problem"
>repeat for the other girls and change the OP to match
>climax is obvious love triangle at the end
I can understand people defending this series for the visuals, even if they were simple most of the time and wonky when they were more adventurous. But the writing?

The series writing is satisfactory and occasionally quite good depending on the arc. I don't recall anything ever being so bad I got angry about it which is quite impressive given how many story arcs there are over so many years. It's true the characters and visuals carry it, but it wouldn't have been successful if the writing was actually terrible or often subpar.

No, only its shitposters are.

Anyone who says Lain doesn't understand what pretentious means.
It's way overrated and too obtuse, but it's saying some crazy fucking bullshit. It's not pretentious, it's just aimed at an audience of like ten people (not including me, jackass, don't start).

That's more of a fanbase thing like most of the other shows ITT. Psych 101 topics and religious symbolism doesn't necessarily make it pretentious.

Attached: AOTS Spring 2010.gif (503x705, 360K)

>but it wouldn't have been successful if the writing was actually terrible or often subpar
Yes and no. Yes because the writing isn't terrible but no because it is subpar for something that is so dialogue heavy. I don't image any other series that was adapted from a light novel being able to get away with something like that.
Which arcs would you say were the best? Does Monogatari fall victim to one of those series where it gets better in the later seasons?

This, easily.
Most of the movie is the characters spewing inane bullshit that may sound deep if you don't try to understand it.

>Bebop
>pretentious
You don't know what "pretentious" means, do you?

>gets better in the later seasons
It depends what you enjoy about the series. I hold that second season as a whole is my favorite of the whole series, but others might see more value in the later arcs that step further away from Bake plot-wise and thematically.

Man, finally someone that says it.

> Elfen Lied

I think you are confusing pretentious with overrated. The show is trash and the author knows it, it's just that the audience took it seriously.

kaiba is great. fuck you

Boku no Hero Academia.

The ending is the most important part of any story.
>gee what should I do for the ending? Shit. I'm out of ideas. Let's just copy Eva and hope nobody notices.

but the anime shows the very ending just at the beginning. and how is that a copy of eva

It's literally an instrumentality ending. Are you daft, boy?

One Piece
>Muh Ill reveal this secret, wait actually no and I'll 2 more secrets to further complicate the plot so I can be drawing this shit until Im on my death bed taking breaks every 3 chapters.

Attached: Screenshot_20190903_231051.png (618x384, 264K)

>when you think a comedy show for kids is pretentious
Yeah your values are misplaced.

only remember it for the fire soundtrack

fpbp

Violet Evergarden.

Ergo Proxy
Psycho-Pass

Try to make profound statements, they come off like the well dressed guy at the party you run into in the corner all alone that is half drunk and telling you what he thinks the secrets of the universe is.
Half baked philosophy and good animation.

And to change it up the other direction, anime you leave going "I never thought about like that" and the opposite of pretentious Haibane Renmei which is on my must watch list for good anime. Sneaks up on valid points about stuff and slips it into your watching.

Noein - to your other self

no fun allowed: the thread

This and Kokkoku.
Some of the best OST are always wasted on shit anime.

Psycho-pass
Texhnolyze was actually good if you sit through to the end though.

In recent memory, Fate/Zero.

How has this shit escaped notice? Revue Starlight is actually pretending to greater depth than it has, borrowing the techniques of better anime but without using them to actually say anything. Kaiba and Lain actually had things they were trying to communicate, but this trash just wanted to seem like it did without the hard work of hiring a fucking writer. This is pretentious my friends

Attached: dceo8mx-3db08dd1-d1ea-4996-84a0-d554bcc4ebad.png (512x512, 481K)

It's a commentary on Takarazuka though.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Senryuu Shoujo - 04 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_09.01_[2019.04.27_18.55.26].jpg (1920x1080, 166K)

It doesn't have anything meaningful to say about it, it's just part of the setting

It's the entire reason the anime exists.

And it still has nothing to say about it. It's just there to be an appealing setting. All of the actual messages in the show are surface level relationship drama

I am sorry you are unable to understand how there exists a top star system in Revue Starlight that is painted as unfair due to its basis on unhealthy competition and physical characteristics like height and how this may also apply to the real life equivalent it is paying tribute to.

I thought it just did a poor job integrating the quantum mechanics into a coherent foundation for the story like it tried to. It didn’t seem like it was trying that hard to be clever, narratively it was very obviously simple, maybe even too much so for its own good.

I love Oshii, but Innocence really takes the cake. It’s a shame since the 2d animation is at the absolute peak in realistic character animation. Stuff like Occultic;Nine or Bakemonogatari may try to hide their retardation through wordplay and visual noise, but they don’t have everyone quoting philosophers every second line as if that is normal procedure for police officers.

everything studio gibli does is pretentious

Flip Floppers

Mawaru Penguindrum

Kaiba is too sincere and embarrassingly pure to actually be pretentious, I love it

By the end, yeah, but it started with some really interesting ideas about Jungian psychology and the Umwelt.

it's based on some dialogue heavy books, and it's essentially a big joke about how lazy anime dialogue animation tends to be when you can do wild shit with symbolism and micro-expressions and actual facial expressions if you actually knew what was important

Kaiba's fucking great, they just should have gotten a different VA for young Kaiba since that chick couldn't scream at all.

Naruto

Most of the stuff ITT isn't even pretentious.
That said, it's probably Fractale.

there's a reason why you dropped out faggot

I don't understand how the first Kizu movie didn't get absolutely shit on by everyone. It was 60 minutes short, nothing but poor CG walking aimlessly for no specified reason, almost no dialogue, CROWS CROWS CROWS and a baby crying somewhere. It was AWFUL and I really regretted driving for 2.5 hours to go see it in theaters.

I don't think you understand how big of a troll fractale was

The direction was cringey to be honest. Although I did enjoy the movies overall, it had some goofy ass scenes and I'm not sure if these were intentionally comical. Considering that the movies have a different artstyle too, I think they were just trying to make it very artsy which isn't always good.

>4 years lurking and I still don't understand how 3x3 workd

Isn't pretentious a word that pseuds use to cope for feeling insecure about seeing/hearing something they don't know about?

It's literally just a rec thread dude

Often, but that doesn't mean it's without its own useful definition that can be used as an accurate criticism. Pseuds only use it because it's so often used against them with good reason

Attached: 1551475897568.jpg (1000x1000, 777K)

That's true. It's been a while since I last saw someone use the word without misconstruing the definition as a means of compensating for something.

This show had one of the most kino scenes in anime though.

Attached: vlcsnap-2014-09-12-14h44m44s212.png (1200x675, 296K)

>Mawaru Penguindrum
I came in here expecting this to be mentioned and it only took 250+ replies. This show was just a bunch of nonsense

>hurr ur brainlets
Do you even know what "pretentious" means, you faggot?

this was easily the most straightforward ikuhara anime, if you didn´t t get it you´re probably a retard

Attached: 1499626914373.png (500x375, 248K)

this series wasn´t made for non japanese people in mind, it refers a specific event on there and also their society mindset in general. doesn´t help that watching the night galactic railroad is required to get a lot of the themes on it

Attached: 5c5.jpg (1280x720, 150K)

well most of these are actually good

GiTS: Innocence. Bunch of idiots quoting other people to seem smart.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Subete ga F ni Naru - 03 [720p].mkv_snapshot_10.31_[2015.12.17_21.01.43].jpg (1280x720, 297K)

The only truly pretentious anime in all meanings of the word is Psycho-Pass, with all their pointless book and author namedropping and the staff saying they wanted to be the next GitS.

Who did they quote? I never watched it.

That part iirc was just the main character spewing pseudo intellectual bullshit out of his ass.

Monogatari series

The best part is when some random detective says something along the lines of "The finch doesn't eat the persimmons before they have ripened" and Togusa holds back Batou like he is about to throw hands over the quote.
Amazing looking movie and the story is simple and kind of good but holy shit is the delivery pretentious.
I liked how PsychoPass did it; when it was Makishima and his henchmen the literary discussion was high school level but when it was Makishima and Kogami they got to the pretentious stuff but that fit their characters because they both had time and inclination to read on that level.

same but i dont understand the wacky number ratings like
>4/7
>2/8
>5/6
why not just do
>x/9
i dont get it

Attached: 1filename210.jpg (1280x960, 124K)

liked/watched

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i feel like a fucking idiot.

Attached: >.jpg (1920x1080, 412K)