The Japanese taste

What kinda stuff does the japanese audience actually watch?
All the time really odd things become popular or get made in japan and blow, feels impossible to gauge the Japanese taste.
Would it be fair to say all their tastes boil down to escapism, catering, and self insert fantasies?
Imaishi said Japanese like their anime slow and atmospheric, but they don't even watch good slow and atmospheric stuff like angel's egg, they just watch garbage that lacks the talent to make any sort of pace other than crawling.

What would you say defines the japanese taste in anime?

Attached: 1549319301010.jpg (379x440, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mipon.org/anime-popular-right-now-japan/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

shit.

>the japanese audience
There is no singular Japanese audience, user. They have their own groups of fans and demographics etc. just like we do. Do you have a specific Japanese audience in mind when you say this general term, like 2ch's users, or Akiba goers?

/thread

Of course not, but there are clear patterns and demographics that we can infer from the stuff that's popular there, and there are clear differences in what attracts eastern and western audiences.

Examples:
>Idol shows were WAAAAY more popular in japan
>the west has a much larger community of oldschool watchers or classics watchers than in the east seemingly.

>What kinda stuff does the japanese audience actually watch?
I'm pretty sure at least half of the population has watched Sazae-san or Maruko-chan.

Attached: [MaruChanSubs] Chibi Maruko-chan (1990) 008 (English Subs).mkv_snapshot_03.22.jpg (720x480, 55K)

ironically based
> the west fear the fanservice
> the west has good material but they only care about capeshit and the west is doomed by 30 more years
cringe, fuck the west

I didn't asked what do the based directors make. I'm moreso trying to figure out how the hell do things like one piece and love live get popular in japan

Most popular things are kids' shows. Both because there are more kids than older anime fans, and because older fans in Japan are more likely to keep watching kids' shows. And there are family movies from the likes of Ghibli.
The late night shows Yea Forums mostly talk about are niche, with a few hits like Eva.

Seems like the popular stuff is not neccesarily kids shows, more like trash self insert and ecchi being toned down to the place where it can be aired on family programming.

>>the west has a much larger community of oldschool watchers or classics watchers than in the east seemingly.
How do you know this? Looking at western anime forums (aka "4channel" and Reddit) the vast majority of anime fans in the west don't watch "oldschool" stuff, and a very large percentage don't watch "the classics". Considering the question you asked I assume you don't frequent japanese forums, so how would you know whether or not the japanese fandom has a niche that is bigger/smaller than the equivalent niche in the western fandom?

>the west has a much larger community of oldschool watchers or classics watchers than in the east seemingly.
The east watches actual classics. The west rewatches what they grew up with on Toonami. If you get into actual anime discussions over there, plenty of old obscure anime get brought up.

You say this, when you burgers eat garbage like FMA

Seems like based on what? One Piece, Precure, Dragonball, and so on are all far bigger than anything like that. Can you even name something? Monogatari is popular but hardly fits that description.

yeah I agree. it's shit too.

Have you been on the internet in your life before coming on this thread? Every 14 year old in the west goes crazy for the oldschool stuff and the classics, Look up any oldschool cel anime you'll see 90% of the gifs and images from there come from tumblr.
Meanwhile it's only on occasion that you get to see those kind of communities from the east. Maybe I haven't been looking in the right places, feel free to direct me.

Not thinking that far back. talking modern.
SAO would be a good example.

Far back? Everything I mentioned has had releases in the last couple of years. Or if you want things that only started recently, Shinkalion was pretty big last year.
SAO is one of the few hits I was talking about. So was Madoka. And Kemono Friends. Maybe Fate, but I think that's more the mobage so I don't know if you'd count it. Yuri on Ice, probably. Osomatsu-san. I don't think these fit your pattern. Or much of any pattern really.

The most popular anime in Japan are shit nobody watches here: Detective Conan, Sazae-san, Maruko-chan, Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan. Most of these are episodic, slice of life-ish stuff the entire family can sit down together and watch.

I think you are talking specifically about Japanese otaku, which is a small subset of overall Japanese anime watchers, in which case their tastes are more in line with Yea Forums but with a heavier emphasis on moeblob and idol shows for the men and fujo shows for the women.

But it's pretty weird to generalize Japanese otaku tastes as overall Japanese tastes, since otakus have a terrible image in Japan and most people look down on them.

It's amazing good anime ever gets produced with viewing demographics like that.

Aren't you in the west?

Back to Yea Forums edgylord

It's most likely that a lot of people who enjoy anime don't advertise it.
mipon.org/anime-popular-right-now-japan/
This is just some random article I found.
I think the stuff that's out in the open as popular is all the family shows, but it seems in numbers the popular stuff isn't too divergent from what weebs outside the country like.
But Japan has about 700,000 hikikomoris, 100s of 1000s of more who are close to it, and millions of otaku. Even if they're socially unpopular, they're the driving force of the industry.
But I think it's just as likely people who like anime don't advertise it. If one of the PMs of Japan, Tarō Asō, is publicly known to love manga and promote Jap pop culture, no doubt there's plenty of people who like it in secret.