Is it just me or is English licensed content always inferior to fan translations? Mainly where there is censorship...

Is it just me or is English licensed content always inferior to fan translations? Mainly where there is censorship, sometimes because of laws, and the content becomes americanized.

Attached: file.png (1484x545, 552K)

If you have a problem with it, study Japanese.

It is you because a significant portion of fan translations are made by a bunch of seamonkeys

no, not really. fantrans are usually alot worse than official trans, for obvious reasons. people like you likely like them because of meme fannames and they have honorifics. i don't get what you mean by "censorship", "laws" and "being americanized", since neither of those ever really happen. what happens is of course often removing honorifics and such.

Recently I've been reading a lot of stuff where the fan translations redraw the sound effects and the official versions don't. That alone is a good reason to read the official versions, even if you're just reading a digital version you torrented. Though you can't really keep up with something currently running that way so scanlations are a necessity there.

I can't say I've come across very much censorship in manga outside of a handful of Viz releases. A lot of people on Yea Forums think that stuff is censored just because the translation differs between the two versions.

Honorifics do sometimes reveal smaller bits of how two characters are related. I think in general it's good to keep them since you never know if there'll be something in the story that relies on the reader knowing them. But just like the sfx redrawing above, a lot of scanlations have started removing honorifics too. It's crazy seeing some groups regressing to early 00s localization level in their scanlations.

A lot of the "english" fan translation scene is done by ESLs and is not very good.

The vast majority of fan translations are stilted ESL speak by non-fluent speakers, so no. Not to mention a bloated disaster when it comes to wordy series with a lot of complex vocabulary. As someone who has read 500+ manga and always compares the official and fan translations before I start a new series, official is generally much better.

Attached: 6lmemwnmrun11.png (1920x1080, 465K)

Honorifics are not English. The tone of the speaker and their attitude towards and relationship with who they speak to should come from the content and context of the dialogue rather than brute-forcing stylistics that are meaningless in the language being used.

As long as they don’t put memespeak in their translations I’m fine with it

No.

Oh and also rips of official digital releases are generally higher quality than scanlation groups. I saw in the scanlation thread on Yea Forums people talking about downscaling the scans they have after they translate and redraw them and that strikes me as a weird choice rather than just keeping the resolution of what you got.

Official translations can have issues too. For less popular series the official translation will probably be better unless there's some fuckery going on (and some popular series get weird fan translations too, like your example of HXH) but for instance I read through Dorohedoro with Viz's release and whoever translated that (probably more than one person) couldn't keep straight who was a guy and who was a girl at points. And it wasn't just for characters where that info wasn't revealed. At one point there was a character that was obviously a girl but how she was addressed went back and forth several times in a stretch of chapters.

in my honest opinion, if someone cares about honorifics and other nuances that much, just learn japanese.
most puns/wordplay don't work from japanese>english for obvious reasons and alot of nuance is also lost. danmachi LN is a pretty good example of this, even though their TL is pretty good.

As this user pointed out in the past, they are bound to be more often than not. Even before all the faggy localizations and catering to not hurting people's feefees, an average joe doing something for a wage isn't going to care nearly as much as a fan.

Attached: 1505011651828.png (940x1242, 160K)

Honorifics give that info more easily than getting the translator to try and rearrange dialogue to make it obvious what is implied. Stuff like switching from kun to san or leaving off honorifics might be able to be transmitted in normal English but even if you try to do that it won't guarantee that the people reading it will even pick up on it.

Wordplay and puns are different than just using short suffixes that are fairly easy to understand. And your logic can apply to pretty much any garbage that manga releases get.

>if someone cares about honorifics they should just learn Japanese
>if someone cares about leaving the sound effects untouched they should just learn Japanese
>if someone cares about what the character names were in Japanese they should just learn Japanese
>if someone cares about reading manga right to left they should just learn Japanese

this thread is filled with favella niggers and patreon faggots

I don't get it. Is the left supposed to be bad or is the right supposed to be bad?

Average scanlator can't even speak english let alone japanese

Neither. It just shows how different the style is.

>rather than just keeping the resolution of what you got.
File size, that is why.

Is the file size an issue for the people doing the scanlating or for the people downloading it/the sites being uploaded to? I'm generally fine with 1200+ vertical and that's usually what scanlations are released as but it's also nice downloading the official rips that are 2000+ vertical. Sometimes they are too big but I sometimes feel like scanlators downscale the images too much too.

Stop getting high on your own farts and then re-evaluate it

Yes daddy, I will stop brapping into my lil' hands and sniffing it deeply before I start poking away at the keyboard with my tender stinky hands as I write my posts.
Anything for you daddy.

the d-frag translation felt soul less next to the scanlation despite the esl translation of the many chapters

It depends on the series, some fan translation are borderline unreadable due to grammar mistakes and general poor quality of the scans

This. Why are ESL's so insistent on translating manga into English? Why not just translate it into their own language?

Attached: 1507432230116.gif (700x500, 15K)

Thank patreon and "donations".

Because manga translated into your native language is horrible.

Even worse when it's hentai.

because nobody fucking reads those.

go on exhentai and compare spaintard translation numbers to english numbers. the only translations that generate views and/or money are english, chinese and korean.

No viewers.

Mas!!! Mas!! Aku udah mau ngecrot mas!! AHHHHHH CROTTTTTT!!