Phantom Blood Pilot

A Bunch of Jojo fans found the pilot for the lost Phantom Blood OVA from the 2004 Tokyo International Anime Fair, Discuss. youtube.com/watch?v=V_ToYJct9Cc

Attached: Phantom Blood OVA.jpg (550x788, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rSyev_EFa_U
youtube.com/watch?v=NpSQhgy_QG8
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-22/jojo-anime-manga-sales-halted-due-to-islamic-images
youtube.com/watch?v=MztTCT2PLC0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

based

BIG IF TRUE

just release it already, stop attentionwhoring

>test animation
So it's not gonna be the full movie?

mother of based

Attached: 1531393525499.gif (384x408, 182K)

So is it the whole movie?

Why they never realesed this movie? Even if is shit, censoring art doesn’t seems a good idea

Araki didn't liked it.

Looks better than DavidPro

nice, but where the movie that was actually released ?

That was a baseless rumor with no source. Realistically, if Araki didn't approve of what they were doing with the movie, it never would have been made.

>inb4 its actually a decent jojo movie
>inb4 it turns out that arakis autism had throttled jojos success all this time

Attached: MJKkeaj9vQM.png (549x386, 221K)

WTF! That actually looks sakuga as fuck. What is wrong with Araki

Attached: 1559876332514.png (659x508, 297K)

Why not just release it then?

It's probably like the part 3 OVAs, pretty good but with some things cut because realistically they can't fit PB properly in what, two hours?

But user everyone always repeats this information so it must be true.

This begs the question, how? It was never released in any format. Realistically, the only way they could have it is with a camrip, but the quality seems pretty good to be one.

youtube.com/watch?v=rSyev_EFa_U

Why Araki only let DP to make Jojo? I understand that he rejected Toei or Pierrot because both are cancer, but what about the rest?

Fake and gay

Attached: 1409257756284.png (662x450, 362K)

I had no idea this much footage existed. I've only ever seen the clip where Dio leaps out of the carriage and kicks Danny.

Either someone with access to it leaked it or there were a couple of copies stored somewhere that those guys bought. It's a test animation for a fair, so it was made public at some point. You know how every few years people find a copy of a previously 'lost' movie in a storage or someone's private collection? Something like that, I assume.

Wait, 2004? I thought the movie came out in 2007. Is this something else?

The 2000's ovas are a thing you know

youtube.com/watch?v=NpSQhgy_QG8

This is something little people knew about. It's a pilot/test animation for a Phantom Blood adaptation which eventually became the movie.

>Hikaru Midorikawa as Dio
That is fucking weird

This guy knows his shit at least.

Attached: s.png (811x154, 28K)

I heard something related to sandniggers getting mad, that was untrue too?

That involved Stardust Crusaders, not the Phantom Blood movie. I think it caused there to be edits to the OVA series and the manga release in the west at the time, don't quote me on the latter though.

We know nothing about why it was never released. "Nothing" as in, literally, absolutely nothing. So whatever you heard is just an unconfirmed rumor.

There was a controversy related to DIO reading the Quran in the Part 3 OVA, maybe that's what you were thinking of.

It's an ultimatum to whoever holds the right.
"Release the god damn movie or we'll do it ourselves for free."

Kamina as Jonathan is weird as fuck too.

It was the manga, not the OVA. Some muslim professor in a middle eastern country was reading it and saw DIO reading what inadvertently was the quran and complained, so the book got altered (Araki mentioning that it was just some random exotic-looking text he had found on the internet that he used). Weird that the guy was even reading the manga at all but whatever.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-22/jojo-anime-manga-sales-halted-due-to-islamic-images

I always personally thougght that it may ad something to do with the soundtrack or some weird right thing, you knoe since the music is by sounded reused from thee ovas andthat soundtrack was made in america.

Is the song from the actual movie or somewhere else, because damn what a jam.

Also how would he stop it from being released?

He used vampire magic.

looks so much better than the pig-disgusting DP adaptation.

Yeah it was the ending song from the movie
youtube.com/watch?v=MztTCT2PLC0

>Dio Fighting Zeppeli and Jojo at the top of that rock actually looking like there's movement involved instead of a powerpoint presentation
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE

that's retarded though. they'll just get cease and desisted and then fold like a bunch of pussies. should've just released it themselves and then the people with rights would be forced to either accept that the internet has it however it exists or make it an OFFICIAL release.

Because it was in 2004, and wasn't on TV. The only Japanese animation with lower production value than seasonal TV anime is weekly TV anime.

Good stuff

Honestly, everything about this pilot looks amazing. I've always been more fond of what little I've seen of the old SC OVA than the present day anime.

>what little I've seen of the old SC OVA
Why don't you watch it

I decided to go and do that right after posting.

OK, now where the fuck is that "The Making of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" VHS.

>rumor about Araki hating the 2004 OVA said he disliked it because Speedwagon wasn't in it
>Speedwagon can be seen in the trailer

yay, myth busted

It's such a dumb rumor too considering what kind of person Araki is and all the other things he's approved of.

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMzEvNTIzL2kwMi9Kb0pvLmpwZw==.jfif.jpg (575x288, 37K)

at least we're getting the animation

>Diavolo is Jonathan

Hm

I saw it yesterday...

Was good

The movie was literally never completed.

Man, I like it, but it's too serious to be Jojo.

Wait so they got their hands on the 2 minute test animation from 2004 or they got their hands on the whole movie?

Never mind it's just the 2 minute test animation

Attached: 20190831_222108.jpg (1080x458, 147K)

Attached: hair.webm (640x360, 2.93M)

I'm the dude who owns the dvd of this pilot. I honestly only had a friend (other guy who helped me find it) make this teaser because it got more attention than I expected when I released some screenshots early. I have a commitment with some dude on youtube to release the pilot at the same time as his video on the movie, which we're collaborating on the scripting process.

I don't know how to work Yea Forums all that well or respond to specific comments but if anyone has questions on this pilot or the movie I'm pretty much the expert, ask away.

How did you get it

What would you say is the biggest cut/deviation from the manga?

The movie was completed... I own a ticket for a Feb 24th 2007 screening as part of my collection of merch related to it.

According to blogs from those who saw it:

The movie doesn't go into detail about JoJo and Dio's relationship during the 7 year timeskip. So there's nothing about Dio pretending to be Jonathan's friend.

Hamon is only explained as far as needing breathing to work. The audience is given the impression it's just really strong sunlight kung fu that can go through water, break rocks and works with breath.

Tarkus & Bruford fight Jonathan together, at once, and die pretty quickly. Zeppeli survives to face Dio in the final fight, and dies in place of Dire when Zeppeli cuts him in half with ice. He uses the rose pinned to his jacket (visible in one of the trailers) to blind Dio like Dire does.

Dio for some reason is able to rebuild Windknight's Lot from a ruin to an (honestly badass) looking glowing green gravity-defying castle with his vampire powers.

Speedwagon doesn't appear at all (He was only in the pilot.)

The movie actually does have some shit from the manga that the anime does not, like:

Dio stealing Jonathan's watch.

Dio taking the mask off the wall and talking to George about it.

Wang Chan fighting Zeppeli and Jonathan.

Is the full movie ever going to be released? Has Araki ever said anything about the movie after DPs adaptation? Why was it only released in theaters?

The changes to Bruford/Tarkus and Dire zeppeli seem fine enough as part of the transition from series to single movie, and let's be honest Dire was pretty redundant.

No Fastcart is a hard blow but he really was just an exposition dump.

As for the flying castle... Just... Wew.

We have no idea. But my best guess is that they never got around to putting it out on DVD before the OVA Quran controversy lost Studio APPP the licence for the JoJo franchise.

This is a tinfoil hat theory, but I think the distributor, Klock Workz, may have botched its theatrical release because looking on old archived theatre sites it's really confusing and poorly advertised as to how and when you could even see the movie, and few theatres advertised it on their front pages. Klock Workz removed all mention of JoJo from their site, including the OVA they also distributed on DVD, in December 2007, but the actual OVA's site and the movie's site wouldn't disappear until the Quran controversy. My tinfoil hat theory is they wanted to ditch Klock Workz and find a better future distribution partner but never did before the controversy hit and Shueisha decided to just go ahead with a new anime instead.

Well... it's not flying. But it definitely is what I'd call gravity-defying.

Attached: phantomblood1.png (475x347, 274K)

I forgot to re-input my name here... this is still me, the dude who found the pilot, providing this answer, sorry.

I remember reading something about one of the producers dying which led to some of the funding being pulled by the family. Is there any merit to that story or is it just another urban legend?

This is an urban legend, but one that has the slightest chance of being true. The producer listed for the pilot is not the producer for the final film, and is pretty much a ghost as far as online info is concerned, only having like 1 IMDB credit from that same year to his name. But I'd still take that rumour with a grain of salt.

I was insanely lucky and found a DVD-RW of it on ebay. Not even kidding.

I see, thanks for answering.

No problem! I love answering questions about the movie, it's a big passion project for me.

>No Fastcart is a hard blow but he really was just an exposition dump.
I literally don't understand how people like Speedwagon outside of Part 2

Speedweed was perfectly fine starting out, had a sorta cool moment thawing Zeppeli's arm, then a bunch of nothing.

Honestly, if they ever had made a part 2 adaptation in the movie/ova timeline they could just add a line at the beginning saying he's an old family friend. It's not like it would be even remotely the biggest asspull in part 2.

What about Lisa Lisa? I heard she wasn't in the Phantom Blood movie either, which sort of sucks seeing how Jonathan's wish of giving a poor infant a second chance ended up tying directly into the plot of the sequel.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure the blogs corroborate that. But in terms of plot practicality Lisa Lisa can be just someone who married into the Joestar family anyways. The real facepalm of that scene is the ship is stated to be in the pacific, which doesn't make any sense.

She just is George II's wife and has ties with Hamon

you might want to get a trip too if youre going to post more about this

Sorry, i'm an idiot who's never really used Yea Forums before. What would a trip be in this context?

tripcode. in the namefield put ##password after your name, password being whatever you feel like.

Okay, thanks, I think I got it.

Do you have any interesting facts or trivia that the average fan wouldn't know about it?

based

Attached: 112313.jpg (923x491, 89K)

The score was recorded in eastern europe, with an actual orchestra. That's the most random, nobody knows or cared to know fact I have lol

Oh shit, yeah, another fact I can think of off the top of my head. The sound team had to finalize the sound mix to a slightly incomplete workprint due to being a bit behind schedule. Said workprint is what leaked online, the first 16 minutes at least (the sound effects aren't the originals, but the music is)

including the really gay harps when Dio jumps out of the wagon?

I would assume so, yes! Hah.

Thanks again for answering these questions. Can't wait to see the upload.

Again, it's no problem. I love talking about the movie & pilot. I'm excited to release the pilot myself.