Akagi

have you learnt mahjong yet? You can't really appreciate Akagi without playing

Attached: washizu2.jpg (1659x1200, 566K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hand.holdings/yakumanvirgins/
mahjong.guide/a-beginners-guide-to-riichi-mahjong/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>open up the thread
>get this banner
Like pottery

Attached: 11.png (300x100, 47K)

Cross board mahjong tourney (4cc like) running now, 5 matches in a row

Can play just that I deal in all the time.

NANTOKANARE

Attached: 1546740810633.png (426x240, 90K)

Tanyao is the strongest hand.

Attached: 1566681598064.gif (600x500, 305K)

That's definitely a Top 5 banner.

Meant for

I learned to play mahjong to enjoy Saki more, and not much time later I read Akagi (one of my top 10 for sure). Though I'd lie if I said I understood every little strategy to be honest.

Attached: 1174149331366.jpg (640x480, 49K)

Jesus Yea Forums you guys are actually really good at mahjong.

Attached: 1563395558113.jpg (1455x1000, 275K)

played everyday for a few weeks since the game came out, but
>1 hour per match
was a little too time consuming for me

currently first, 3 matches to go

>Yea Forums - 130800
>/jp/ - 111000
>/u/ - 99700
>Yea Forums - 58500

Going really well for Yea Forums.

People still play majsoul? Sweet. I haven't played for a couple months because I got sent into the depths of despair and got obsessed with something else.

There's friendly rooms around the clock in /vg/, after they got banished from Yea Forums. I've mostly been playing ranked against the chinese.

I need to learn mahjong but I dont know how to approach it. Where should I look? I wish I could be Akagi.

Start playing Mahjong Soul and go for easy yaku. Once you start getting comfortable start reading Riichi Book 1.

Mahjong Soul has a nice tutorial.

Mahjong soul, play some games to get a feel for it, and keep something like pic related on hand.

Attached: yaku.png (2600x1750, 577K)

Keep your hand closed as much as possible for your first bunch of games only opening for easy confirmed yaku like dragons.

Attached: nicefeet.jpg (694x823, 198K)

Akagi is literally the best thing to come out of manga

mahjong.guide/a-beginners-guide-to-riichi-mahjong/

Read Ten, it's even better.

I was including Ten of course, that's 50 volumes of Akagi development if you take it all.

I read Akagi and I'm near the east vs west on Ten.
I'm sad I can't enjoy Ten as much as I could because the knowledge required to understand it is much greater than Akagi's. I'm not a complete newbie at the game, but I only started playing it this year, got around Adept 1 on majsoul.
There are some complex shit, such as reading possible hands/yaku of other players that get way over my head.

Keep this sheet with you when you don't know a yaku name. Also, Ten starts being good and way easier to understand at the East vs West,

Can't wait to see your reaction to the end of East vs West and the end of Ten. Really good shit.

Attached: 1543462257761.jpg (3000x2400, 1.39M)

Attached: 1546800244934.jpg (492x700, 163K)

>DVD
sign of how old this is
also that's a sick-ass cover

They all look great.

Attached: 1542829493362.jpg (495x700, 150K)

I'm a little disappointed animefriends will NEVER know the peak climax of this manga. At least for me.

Attached: akagi292.jpg (1695x1200, 863K)

Sorry but the peak is this. So fucking good.

Attached: 1555554905974.jpg (1696x4821, 2.82M)

After last year's Tonegawa adaptation i have a slim hope for Kurosawa anime, but yeah it's a shame we'll never have proper Akagi anime ending

Posting the rest, if you guys don't mind. They're all amazing.

Attached: dvd1.jpg (495x700, 147K)

Attached: dvd2.jpg (495x700, 157K)

Attached: dvd3.jpg (495x700, 157K)

Attached: dvd4.jpg (495x700, 152K)

Man, fake Akagi was such an interesting character despite the little screentime he had.

I feel the same. Wish Fukumoto had done more with him, although I understand why he went for something different.

Attached: dvd5.jpg (495x700, 150K)

Attached: dvd7.jpg (493x700, 143K)

Done. Wish they were bigger, but I've had decent results running them through waifu2x.

Attached: dvd8.jpg (492x700, 135K)

When does Ten get good? I'm at the part where FKMT's artstyle got better. So far there's only boring mahjong, literally battle shonen with a shit game instead.

>It's time, I'm finally going to learn mahjong!
>find a guide
>step 1: draw a tile
>step 2: play the rest of the fucking mahjong
Every time.

If you don't want mahjong, you're reading the wrong series.

20 fucking years for one match of mahjong

IIIII PINNN!!

>that 1pin scene

Vol 4. When the mahjong gets smart, full of character development and life lessons.
Vol 15 is where the "no games, only talking" arc begins. It's 10/10.

My favorite part was when it took an entire chapter for Washizu to pull out a tile. That was the whole story progression for a month.

Attached: 277.png (1534x1024, 3.17M)

I read the entirety of Akagi and it was great, but it's the tricks and mindgames, specially from Washizu mahjong what make it shine.

Is there really none of this in Ten?

There are tricks and mindgames, yeah. Did you get to East-West yet?

It was incredible

East vs West has those tricks. Before that, FKMT hadn't mastered his writing style yet

Attached: 1538003198720.png (725x757, 452K)

I'm starting that part. Guess i'll hold on to it, but i guess you have to at least memorize all the yaku to enjoy looking at discards.

Thank you anons.

Are there any examples of something similar happening in other mangas?

This is the canon ending. The last arc is filler fanfic.

Just remember:

-The fast ones: Tanyao/Pinfu/Yakuhai (also called fanpai)
-Having only one suit: Honitsu/Chinitsu
-Terminal tiles in each sequence: Chanta/Junchan
-All pons, or all pairs: Toitoi/Chitoitsu.

I guess there's also sanshoku (e.g. 234 234 234 in the 3 families).

There are other slow-paced, dragged-out arcs, but Washizu arc is the longest I know of.

While it did feel a little weak, I liked the extra insight we got into Akagi as a person. Really drove home the fact that he's a gambling addict, much like Kaiji. He just doesn't lose.

I don't think there can be, sure there are memes like Berserk's boat or HxH's hiatuses, but only vanity projects like this one could pull off 20 years of a single arc
Note that the match started on 1997, the year of Gambler Tetsuya, Trigun ending and turning into Trigun Maximum, and of Pokemon; a year before Cowboy Bepop, Uzumaki, Shaman King, Vagabond and aforementioned XiatusxHiatus, which are seen as classics

Washizu having survived completely ruined it for me and turned the thing into a needless comedy (and a sequelbait)

Attached: QGw0JGR.jpg (2713x809, 871K)

I absolutely agree that Washizu should not have survived but I still like the character insight for Akagi, so I can't completely hate it.

3 months for one point in Takkyuu

Attached: 1547957598807.png (800x1168, 240K)

Just take Washizu surviving as a gag while keeping him dead in terms of plot

He's not just a Kaiji like gambling addict, it's part of his character but his crisis goes further than this

Obviously, but it's a part of his character that's not really thought about enough.

How do you stop him?

Attached: 1229566348722.png (1061x771, 79K)

for all the shitposting Akagi the shitposter did it's not like Akagi the character is particularly realistic (and certainly "his actions and decisions simply aren't founded in any reasonable human behaviour"); since Akagi is far from a shit character that means the author is full of it

(also he thought he's doing a right thing by killing Washizu but not in the meaning presented in the shitpost)

Akagi isn't supposed to be your average man, but he's supposed to show the struggle your average man faces, especially considering his "weary of living" lines in Akagi and everything he says in Ten.

I'd argue he's one of, if not the best character from mango.