Can someone who has a 200 IQ explain to me why some people think one piece was better before the time skip?

Can someone who has a 200 IQ explain to me why some people think one piece was better before the time skip?

Attached: one piece.jpg (640x360, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9voF5C72iDE
youtube.com/watch?v=sPavyo6gnLU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oda does better with tighter, more focused stories that focus on a smaller number of characters. The series has stretched itself too thin.

I do still like the series, though. The sense of progression from starting off as a weird kid in a rowboat, to forming a group of cool losers/nobodies with some accomplishments under their belt (the state the Straw Hats are in during most of the pre-timeskip era), to leading a fleet of 6000 people and becoming the fifth Yonkou is really fucking cool and something that Oda nailed perfectly.

I think you explained a massive flaw with most shounen where they shit the bed when too many characters get involved. it causes many to end up underdeveloped and abandoned

the 200 chapter run from fishman island to dressrossa was slightly disappointing, while still being good. if you have half a brain though you can see everything from zou onwards is fantastic and some of the best stuff odas ever written, but it seems those earlier arcs still color a lot of peoples perceptions of post-TS one piece

Nami was better as a tomboy with short hair and tank tops

Attached: Nami_weatheria_Ep508.png (406x523, 231K)

Better Villains overall: Hody was just /pol/ trash, Caesar was just mustache twirling mad scientist, Doffy was okay and Katakuri was great but Croc, Enel, Lucci and Kuma were just too fucking great
Better diversity in cast fights and they were given more time (seriously I don't get why people hype up Franky vs Senior Pink when 80% of the fight is off screen and we're just told what happened)
I mean shit even Skypeia which wasn't a big 'everyone must fight arc' like Alabasta or Enies Lobby still gave everyone something except I think Usopp but he already two god tier character moment in Arlong Park and Alabasta and even better moments after Skypeia
The artstyle was more subdued, it had some of it's quirks but not full hourglass shaped women or 'What's a leg day?' characters
Didn't have Shirahoshi

Robin always made for a better tomboy desu.

What about Big Mom? I thought she was a really interesting character and one of the most menacing villains. Borderline Personality Disorder: One Piece version

This and the animation pace after the timeskip is trash 5 minutes of fucking introduction and opening and it repeats scenes so you will only have like 10 minutes of new content.
Reqd manga and watch youtube compilations of one piece moments

>What about Big Mom?
Oda doesn't respect her

The whole post skip up till Dressrossa was a let down for me. Spent way too much time showcasing how strong the straw hats had gotten by having them beat up jobbers. I think it was enough to show them pulling one shotting the pacifista on their way to grab their ship. Fishman island I think should have been a bigger plot line than it was. They hyped up fishman Island for years and aside from mermaid waifu it was shit.

Attached: 1512983945997.jpg (682x1024, 111K)

She was never a tomboy though. I like how she's a cute dork.

Attached: Nico Robin3.jpg (470x383, 20K)

nothing tomboyish about robin

They both were better pre-timeskip. Post-time skip Robin is just garbage.

Robin was better pre-ts, but I like post-ts Nami just fine

Attached: one-piece_nami0086.jpg (294x626, 26K)

Who hyped it up? Just some faggots on image boards

I too prefer them both pre-timeskip, at least they were worth something as characters. Also they had a distinctive looks that fit their personalities, now they are fapbait babes that happen to be plot devices when necessary.

Attached: one-piece-monkey-d-luffy-nami-nico-robin-roronoa-zoro-sanji-tony-tony-chopper-usopp-big.jpg (1600x1200, 484K)

>Spent way too much time showcasing how strong the straw hats had gotten by having them beat up jobbers.

Then Oda really failed, outside of the monster trio I really don''t have an idea how the strong the crew has gotten. They beat some drugged fishmen jobbers, cool. Pre-TS they beat CP9.

>pretimeskip Nami: cute tomboy
>pretimeskip Robin: cool dark lady with interesting fashion sense
>posttimeskip both: beach bimbos
What the hell happened?

>I too prefer them both pre-timeskip, at least they were worth something as characters. Also they had a distinctive looks that fit their personalities, now they are fapbait babes that happen to be plot devices when necessary.

I will never get this meme. How is a character becoming sexier destroying his worth? Personality wise they got handled well, Robin became more open with people and Nami got some development like forgiving Jinbe and being more patient while still keeping her fiery and mischievous personality.
Not saying everything is great, I have my problems with how the crew got handled post-timeskip, I wish Robin would get a real fight or that we would have more focus on Nami's navigation. But I don't feel it is that bad either. And this problem concerns all straw hats, not only the chicks.

Actual character development
Actual story, what the fuck do they even do now?
Nostalgia
Less of a fantasy bullshitery, now its just an anime.

Nobody cares about Nami anyways but timeskip Robin is a crime against humanity.

Because we don't need to read the backstories of every fucking samurai in Wano.

Orait we get it Oda, Kaido bad, samurai is oppressed. Lets fucking done with this shitty arc already so I can know what's happening in Reverie.

I don't think that was user's complaint. More that there's more than one way of looking sexy, not just one.

Reverie was the most interesting thing Oda's done in ages, shame it's not a proper arc

Nobody cares about Robin either

I liked the Fisher Tiger stuff in that arc

Post skip robin has a more fun personality that we didn't get to see much of pre-skip. My only issue with her post design is her hair always looking like an oil pit. She's had some good costumes, but all of her memorable ones were pre-skip.
Too much skin all of the time ruins it. Nami used to be more covered, so it would be more of a treat to see her wearing less. Seeing it all the time ruins that. I do tend to like longer hair, but on Nami for her personality I feel like shorter worked better.

Attached: 1535879818485.jpg (1440x810, 753K)

It's not a meme.
>And this problem concerns all straw hats, not only the chicks.
The discussion was focused on the girls, but of course there are some issues with all the post-timeskip SH.

boring bimbo

Post skip Robin is really ara ara lady. Nothing wrong with that, but hardly works as a main character and that's partially why she really isn't one.

>Then Oda really failed
Pretty much, but everyone was licking his nuts when the arcs were new.
>oh fuck that was so bad ass he beat up those fish men
So fucking what, he's beat up fishmen since Arlong Park. These jobbers were only introduced to job, they were never built up in the past as any real threat.
>go read naruto or bleach fag maybe that will be your speed muh asspull battles
And that is what it was like being in weekly's for the fishman arc.

Think about if Oda put as much effort into Big Mom as Crocodile, Kuro or Arlong. Big Mom is great but has plenty of room for improvement to be a more fear instilling villain shrouded with mystery. But now we know everything about her up to the color of her panties and she's a little shallow for my tastes. Still, her shallowness serves a purpose which is to be the nuke that sets off Kaido's demise.

>really ara ara lady
I saw her more as ara ara cool onee-san pre-skip. Post skip she acts more like a cute dork, but still the big sister type.

Attached: 34212342.gif (500x280, 986K)

The power creep ruined it
>have guys that can literally walk around the sky from island to island and can destroy an island with their powers
>Still need boats and crew members
Punching and being rubber was okay even some logias are cool vut hski is just shit
in old fights even nami anf ussop could shine with their tricks and stuff but now they would get killed for sure i don't know how they can fight against strong opponents without punching hard like luffy or without swords.

outfits since zou/wci are great
I think both short and long hair fit her personality-wise (she got some boyish aspects in her personality, but most of her interests are girlish), even though I'm the minority.

Nami and Usopp aren't supposed to fight anyway. They're the brains of SH, what they did in Alabasta was well above their pay grade. You don't see army generals fighting in the frontlines do you?

Nami with long, wavy hair is fine, but she and Robin have exactly the same haircut and it's plenty of generic OP girls with black long hair.
3 or 5 would look great on her.

Attached: eec198845d753d2dc583cd70e20d8d2c.jpg (346x346, 42K)

This I agree with, too many chicks with long hair post-timeskip. Even Tashigi got them long now.

5 looks pretty good.
Why didn't Oda think of this?
Saving it for next time skip?

There are way too many fucking characters now, and most of them are completely irrelevant after the arc they're introduced. It feels like no progress is being made toward finding One Piece, they just keep running into new overpowered enemies that Luffy can't defeat but then eventually does after a while anyway.

>finding one piece
You've missed the point of OP entirely

3 yes, 5 not a fan. I think it's just that slick look, makes me think that they don't wash their hair that bothers me. I do miss coboy hat robin though.

Attached: images (1).jpg (225x225, 8K)

What's the point, then? None of the strawhats are progressing towards their individual goals, either. Some of them barely get any screentime because Oda is too busy introducing new characters that will never be heard from again after the arc is over.

all of this but unironically

The real One Piece is the friends you made along the way.

OP went from a 9/10 to an 8/10 first with Punk Hazard(ima cut him some slack with fishman arc) but then dressrosa was equally bad and almost ruined doffy for me. somewhere along those parts Oda fucked up. You can also see the bullshittery in Whole Cake

When was the last time the Straw Hats were all together in a non-color spread? 2013?

Chapter 701
March 2013

I mean some of their goals were dumb and I feel like have been reached or are as close as they'll ever get.

>Luffy king of the pirates =end game
>Nami want's to be rich
>Robin wants to find the Poneglyphs of which there are only a few left that she hasn't read
>Chopper worlds best doctor, will never happen as long as Law is alive. When Law dies he'll be there
>Sanji with his dumbest dream of finding the all blue. I think this was so dumb that they have retconned it, as the added his reason for cooking was because of his mother. Before that it was because him and Zeff were starving and Zeff ate his own legs, and Sanji from then on swore to become a chef and make the best food, not because of muh mommy issues.
>Zoro worlds best swordsman, will be confirmed when he beats Mihawk in battle
>Franky build the best ship, really depends on what you consider best ship as we've seen fucking islands that count as a ship. By that logic probably never going to happen
>Ussop wants to be brave which I think he reached pre-skip. He's braver than the average human at least, and more wants to avoid fights that aren't necessary than he's actually scared

>almost ruined doffy for me
He's ruined for me.

>goal
>Nami want's to be rich
JUST
Not blaming you tho

When was the last time her dream was even mentioned?

before they enter grand line, after logue town

>Nami wants to be rich
Wrong.She wants to map the world.Which probably isn't gonna happen during the span of the series,as they're going through grandline only once
>Sanji
What?Did you speedread Sanji's introduction?Zeff lost his leg due to an anchor,not because he ate it.I don't think it's a dumb dream,just a bit more mundane,I guess
>Franky
He said he wants to build the greatest ship,which he did with Sunny.But he said it's not complete or something,and that it needs to sail to the end of the world for his dream to be accomplished.

When was the last time any dream was mentioned besides Luffy?

Luff short story, I think, 2017. But "canon" it's

Attached: luff3.png (2704x2026, 3.29M)

Attached: 1557748056344.png (1065x1324, 543K)

the remembrance of what he once was keeps him alive for me, but god about 99% of him is completely and utterly trashed. At least i still have Enel and Crocodile

lel le stupid speedreader:
Nami wants to draw a worldmap. That´s her dream...

Sanji's was in WCI, I think.

I meant in the actual story. Was it ever as much as mentioned after they entered Grandline?

>Did you speedread Sanji's introduction?Zeff lost his leg due to an anchor,not because he ate it.
Did you write this whole post just to post this bait?

Good to see how people are realizing the bullshit of this stretched out clown.

No pun intended.

>Franky build the best ship, really depends on what you consider best ship as we've seen fucking islands that count as a ship. By that logic probably never going to happen
Franky already defined that and he said the best ship is the one that overcomes the most hardships, so by that definition it'll be Sunny once it says through the New World.
>Ussop wants to be brave which I think he reached pre-skip. He's braver than the average human at least, and more wants to avoid fights that aren't necessary than he's actually scared
Usopp is nowhere near as brave as his dad.
>Zoro worlds best swordsman, will be confirmed when he beats Mihawk in battle
Zoro probably won't fight his teacher. Mihawk will be defeated by Shiryu, and Zoro must overcome Shiryu instead.
>Sanji with his dumbest dream of finding the all blue. I think this was so dumb that they have retconned it, as the added his reason for cooking was because of his mother. Before that it was because him and Zeff were starving and Zeff ate his own legs, and Sanji from then on swore to become a chef and make the best food, not because of muh mommy issues.
Sanji wants to find the All Blue because nobody else has found it before.

Pre and Post Nami is perfect.
Pre and Post Robin is shit.
That's all.

She's about given up on the map dream. Everywhere they've gone is already well documented. Though that was her dream for a while. I'm pretty sure Zeff ate his leg. Sanji probably has the worst dream though, and really they'd have already found it. They sailed through the red line using the grand line. That spot through the red line is where all the seas meet. Oda completely forgot about the All Blue.
As for best ship, what are we going on by what makes a best ship? I'm pretty sure Gekko and Mom have better ships hands down no matter how many upgrades sunny gets.

Attached: EFtvv.jpg (762x1200, 178K)

>Everywhere they've gone is already well documented
Wrong. Nami has a special talent for making maps, other man-made maps are Skypiea level at best.

>Usopp is nowhere near as brave as his dad.
We don't really know jack shit about his dad aside from he's on Shank's crew. His dad is probably a bitch compared to everyone else on the crew.
As for the all blue they already sailed through it.

Attached: Grand_Line_Infobox.png (375x288, 184K)

yikes

>As for the all blue they already sailed through it.
The All Blue is the most diverse ocean, it has all the fish from all the seas and isn't located on a fucking canyon. The location is still unknown but scholars believe it to be Fishman Island.

Zorofag/Sanjifag banter at least has larping element to it. This shit has no excuse.

More precisely, they believe it to be located on mermaids' tits, at least according to Sanji.

Usopp is just annoying now. He used to be one of my favorites but how many times is he going to fall back into his whiny lying self when he already grew out of it? He wants to be a great hero but then he lies to the dwarfs for fun and almost gets them killed. Oda needs to stop flanderizing his characters.

It was called the all blue because it's where all oceans meet, and all fish can be found there.
They probably are the best tasting fish.

Attached: 1548137442029.jpg (1280x720, 164K)

>Zeff lost his leg due to an anchor
read the manga

>Zeff lost his leg due to an anchor,not because he ate it.
kek you made me remember how the anime censored that

>What?Did you speedread Sanji's introduction?Zeff lost his leg due to an anchor
kek anime fag spotted btfo

Attached: Mini_Mini_no_Mi_Size.png (1003x720, 769K)

It was never good, it's just rose tinted memories.

Attached: 8651f7c5cfb532c2b55ee72d51748c65.jpg (1920x3104, 2.86M)

That's not true. It's just for a younger audience but that's not the same as rose tinted memories.

It was fun back then. Adventures and all

Exactly, you liked it as a dumb kid, that doesn't make it good.

You say it like everything children like must be shit.

That's the reason they like it, yes. It's shit for everyone that's not a kid.

People caught up and started reading weekly post timeskip. It's simple really.

t. 13 y. o.

I've liked quite a bit of stuff post-time skip but I think Oda's having trouble a lot of the time juggling so many characters in 18 pages. It's not as big an issue if you binge arcs but in general I do think it's an issue. That and some of the characterization of some characters (and designs) aren't as good. I like pre time skip Nami more and don't really care much for her and Franky's designs post time skip. Sanji was kind of grating on me too but I liked him during the WCI arc.

There was actual tension. Kaido is obviously going to lose.

>There was actual tension
Not really. One Piece was always the type of series where you know the good guys are going to do something to win.

All sense of wonder and adventure is gone. Now we have too many characters we don't care about, story is bland,pacing is awful. Plot twists are the only thing that are still great.

Attached: rf32f3.png (1504x1100, 413K)

Stay seething

>good guys are going to do something to win
That’s almost every series you fucking idiot. I mean the tension was engaging even though the outcome would favor the protagonists.

Explain the difference in tension then. Yes, Kaidou is going to lose because he's an antagonist. You knew Arlong, Crocodile, Enel, etc were going to lose too because like you said, that's part of most series, and especially shonen stuff.

Anyone who says OP sucks now is a fucking brainlet. WCI was the most creative arc in the series, and wano is shaping up to be absolutely amazing as well. People just cant accept that One Piece is more about grand and intricate conflicts than straightforward adventure now, even though that aspect is still very important.
nice speedreading, WCI is the only arc other than marineford that had actual consequences for fucking up and real tension.

>Explain
No
>muh speedreader
Opinion discarded

nice of you to conveniently ignore my actual points

>No
Okay

Not enough personality for a dork.

The crew wasn't yet so completely flanderized and the arcs were more compact and unique. Post timeskip Nami and Robin lost everything that was unique about them and Sanji became a massive fucking joke. Oda also recycled the exact same story arc several times but this time started adding way too many irrelevant side characters and side plots nobody gives two shits about.

6 now

Not him, but Beast Pirates get humiliated almost every step they make and we're getting one new ally after another, usually bringing something exceeding Kinemon's expectation to the alliance. It's all to safe and we're already 45 chapters in.

I don't know if you've noticed but half the arcs post TS are literally poor rehashes of pre-TS arcs
>Fishmen
>DefinitelyNotAlabasta
>Mystery Ancient Island with a gimmick
Except they're plagued with worse antagonists and allies

The only one that isn't just you being retarded is Alabasta/Dressrosa though.

Super comfy OST and moments in general.
youtube.com/watch?v=9voF5C72iDE

and crewmates being crewmates
youtube.com/watch?v=sPavyo6gnLU

Now it feels like every moment is unbearably long stretched.
OP needs good comfy filler.
I can even remember when some strawhats last interacted. They feel all just flanderized.

>Now it feels like every moment is unbearably long stretched.
That's because in the anime it is. Most episodes adapt 1 chapter at most and some don't even do that. Earlier One Piece would do maybe 3 chapters per episode, or maybe more.

>Earlier One Piece would do maybe 3 chapters per episode
That happened I think, but it was very rare. East Blue is adapted at average 2 chapters per episode.

I would like to see an whole episode of
> Zoro getting lost in Wano
> Sanji perfecting his Soba
> Usopp selling stuff and getting in trouble
> Robin intel mission
> Brook shenanigans
each

it would enjoy this way more than Hawkins needing 3 min to summon his thing and seeing the 5th creepy Ace flashback

Seems like 2 chapters wasn't uncommon. Seems kind of slow to me but the early One Piece episodes must have done a better job of managing their content over the episode length. I remember there being a scene of Luffy getting up off the ground that people on here made fun of a lot because it was like a single unimportant panel stretched to over 1 minute.

post timeskip is better

I think by Skypiea people were already complaining about the pacing. I think what they did right in Alabasta was including actual filler adventure within the arc. Though something like this wouldn't manage to save modern anime, as you'd need ~10 episodes of filler a year to even get consistent 1:1 pacing and people were bitching about it during FI/PH the same as their bitching now, so it's not worth it. No amount of creativity can help you when you're getting 39 chapters each year and are expected to do 48 episodes unless you take a year off/make a year long filler arc.

It's just an issue with them wanting to keep the anime running all the time. Doesn't MHA run in seasons? So they do however many episodes, take a break, then come back and do more episodes. That's better for the pacing of the anime but it means it can't be constantly running, which would result in a loss of revenue.

Ok Satan