What do you think of Blame? What do you think of nihei in general?

What do you think of Blame? What do you think of nihei in general?

Attached: 1524009277863.jpg (1121x1600, 239K)

Blame was one of those 1 in a life time series

>Blame
Masterpiece.
>Nihei
He lost his touch and now tries too hard to pander to normalfags.

Blame is overrated, it has nice architecture and a cute robot waifu but that's about it. Sidonia was Nihei's Magnum Opus.

Moving to digital destroyed him. People complain abut Miura shifting to digital mediums for Berserk, but the artshift from absolute peak Nihei in the first half of Biomega to what it became is fucking sad. I'm not saying a mangaka can't succeed with digital drawings, but Nihei was just not one of them.

Attached: 1548434535291.jpg (914x640, 205K)

Blame is a masterpiece but recently Nihei has kinda gone to shit

>What do you think of nihei in general?
He have great concepts and good story developments for most part, but immediately shits the bed when comes to actually ending his stories.

>not p cell as the cutest
OUT WITH YOU

Your fault for that.

I love Blame, love Abara and even Biomega for all its faults. Sidonia is decent overall but it was the beginning of things to come.
Aposimz is so bad it's depressing, it's a shame what happened to him. Hopefully he can get back on track eventually.

Manga is a visual medium. BLAME excels at visuals so much that it narrates a very interesting story without requiring infodumps or narration of any kind.
It's not Nihei's fault that you need someone to spoonfeed you plot.

Nigger I understood the plot just fine, it's not like it was something complicated. It still doesn't make Blame much more than nice architecture with a cute robot waifu.

I believe texhnolyze was the same if I recall correctly.

Based speedreader.

Has more depth in a single page than a whole chapter of HxH.

Especially in world-building, it is unmatched to this day.

Didn't like it, just people walking and shooting things with backgrounds.

Blame is GOAT

Nihei will forever be my nigga

Blame is a masterpiece and I still enjoy Nihei and his modern works. I ain't no rabid cultist that will throw a mangaka to the wolves just because he's trying different styles.

it's something you can't read on the go. the feeling is real. a true gem.

is the master edition a meme
why did they change killy's name

So was the entire mega structure the center of the earth or something?

Attached: 9.jpg (728x1043, 127K)

He was a starving artist before Sidonia. People that try to shame him for his art shift are either children or down right retarded, man has a family now he can't just pump out manga that doesn't sell and take out loans to survive.
Didn't finish Sidonia but Aposimz is pretty good so far.

There was a room inside of it that was the size of Jupiter.

NOiSE implies to be a præquel of Blame! which implies that it started on Earth and grew and consumed most of the solar system as it grew; no idea where it would get the matter for this though as space is legendarily empty.

Supposedly, they can either mine alternate dimensions, or straight up create matter ex nihilo. I mean, they already have literal gravity death beams, so they might as well be gods if they could actually reconnect and wipe the whole place into shape again.

>People that try to shame him for his art shift are either children or down right retarded
Maybe they are people who actually think about art as something more than just a way to make money.

Thing is, the guy made his art without thinking about money, now his life has entered a different phase. He's older now and can't afford to still be a starving artist. Look him up, he was dirt poor when he was doing Blame.

It started on earth but then expanded and absorbed like half of the solar system.

Just imagine traveling for years and years and years and only encountering one small settlement and a single dead body. You've been at this 20 years thanks to all the cyborg enhancements but it's still a slog. You come across one of those wild intersections with pipes, hallways, bridges across empty expanses, and a stairway you can't see the top of. You choose a random hallway and start along a endless path. Along this endless path you pass man sized cracks in the wall where you can see more hallways and rooms through, a bridge stretching over endless open pipes, "canyons" with endless tall walls, and claustrophobically narrow interconnecting rooms. You press on and on and on until you come to a dead end. Well shit. You turn around and take another path. It also ends in a dead end. You start alternate paths over and over and over again until you can find no way forward until you have no choice but to go back to that crazy intersection you been through a few decades ago. When you get back you find a smooth thick wall, a sure sign that a builder has passed through. You are not trapped in a pocket of the megastructure roughly the size of a small continent. You don't have any weaponry to pierce it and you haven't seen a single person since you've been here. You're all alone and all you have is time on your hands. Little did you know that if you have just taken the stairs you would have came across a settlement. In fact there was many paths you could have taken. There are billions of other humans in the megastructure but do to the size they're all living in pocket communities with little hope of ever meeting.

Attached: 2610718-cleancorridorjc[1].jpg (792x472, 110K)

Blame is one of the few manga that can be called a masterpiece.

Attached: 1523191131131.jpg (851x483, 40K)

The cluster alone had tens of millions I think.

It's pretty weird to think that Knights of Sidonia is actually selling better than Blame!

I remember that everyone was talking about Blame! and how awesome it was and it felt like it was super hyped but I guess that was just a bubble. I've not heard anyone talk about K.o.S.

>the, arguably, most famous youtuber in existence has said Blame! is his favorite manga
>he even dedicated one video to it
>Blame! is still underrated as fuck and Nihei is still an unknown author to the masses
Well, I guess Blame! was, truly, a pleb-filter.

It would've been nice to find out if you didn't fall into some pit and got wedged in. The chances of someone passing by you are next to nothing.

kos had an anime as well. It had 2 seasons and I think was on netflix for a while.

fpbp it comes to me in waves, haunts my taste in aesthetics, in games, movies, character designs, just like Alien does. Blame is a sneaky watershed moment in dark sci fi.

Attached: __blame_drawn_by_nihei_tsutomu__2fe11825f060e0f56c244e9b3407ab4c.jpg (1326x1983, 273K)

Why do you think that is? I've drawn as a hobby for most of my life and what little talent I have seems to evaporate whenever I try to go digital and I don't know why.

Favorite manga of all time and the Master Editions are an absolute treasure.

>the Master Editions are an absolute treasure.
Except for the botched name translations

It's just a matter of getting used to it given how different your approach is when you go from pen and paper to drawing with a tablet. When someone codes in digital tortillions and kneaded erasers authentically is when I'll not hate it when I try to scribble in photoshop too. And then there's the matter of learning the stuff you can do with digital that you just can't do traditionally. Nihei seemed to have gave up trying to replicate his old style and just went fuck it, I guess.

Attached: 1482079861078.png (233x204, 88K)

I think if Nihei added shadows to APOSIMZ, his fans will like his work again. Because EOPs are shallow like that.

Nah, I liked Blame! because it was the definition of "show, don't tell", while Aposimz is full of infodumps.

If the City encompasses the solar system how do characters breath?

Did Killy ever lose his V card? Is he even capable of sexual attraction?

I don't think he's programmed for that.

Blame! is one of the few manga that really made me feel for the MC. In the same way that killy's life is an endless slog through soulless mindless architecture occasionally plot hook reading Blame! is a slog of soulless mindless architecture with the occasional plot hook.

BLAME! is the greatest cyberpunk story ever told.

It hold a special place in my heart and anyone who knows it and likes it is instantly my friend. Nihei is a master of his craft, and his peak was BLAME!.

Never again will we see anything as good.

Attached: BLAME! and so on - 055.jpg (1280x1905, 720K)

>>he even dedicated one video to it
For some unknown reason Pewds removed that video from his channel. I'd like to know why he did that. It's mirrored on other channels but can't find it on his.

This. This is why Killy is called "the calamity", he is in a sense - at least when perceived by others - like a force of nature. He keeps going no matter what. Probably on his quest for thousands upon thousands of years, barely maintaining enough sanity to remember his purpose, and keep moving, forever searching.

I always though that the protagonist of BLAME! changes with each chapter. Sometimes it's the megastructure, sometimes it's Cibo, sometimes it's other characters, and Killy is essentially like a rock we cling to in this chaotic, brutal, and almos incomprehensible world. He is the only thing in that world that is stable and unchanging. Everything else seems to be in constant flux and disarray, the megastructure, the people inhabiting it, the netsphere, it's all chaos and brutality, but Killy persists and never wavers.

Attached: 1234045865234.jpg (1263x1913, 549K)

BLAME!
>minimalist, show don't tell approach
>original designs and an engaging, labyrinthine story
>treats its readers with respect

Aposimz
>infodump every fucking page wrapped in trite shonen power-level cliches and arbitrary fights with an OP protagonist
>constantly holding the reader's hand at every stage
>samefaces abound, every leading character is a teenager or looks like one

What happened, bros? I don't even mind the art style shift (I think it's actually great how much he conveys with broken lines and one zipatone)

>how do characters breath?
they probably don't, really

Every time I see one of these artbook pages I'm really tempted to get a poster, this one especially would look nice
top quality post by the way

I have this one as a print in my office.

Attached: 1297540767507.jpg (1433x2023, 803K)

He has lived like for thousand years with the same objective in mind, no matter the situation. Companions have come and gone yet he is still there, up with his duty. No wonder he is like a force of nature at the times of Blame!

Has user watched the Netflix movie? I really liked it.

I have.

It is an abomination and heresy. It's fucking awful. Nihei must have gotten a LOT of shekels for that atrocity.

Incredible art, fucking incomprehensible stories. I had no idea what the hell was going on from about halfway through Knights of Sidonia

Nihei's daughter was a mistake.

I know this is more of a Yea Forums question, but are there any games, aside from NaissanceE, that encapsulate the feeling of the Megastructure?
>writes Sidonia to try and appeal to her and her demographic
>she doesn't like it
The ultimate kicko in the nuts

Attached: __cibo_blame_drawn_by_orihika__b0e9e97989c611ec55e1bb890446e854.jpg (2508x3541, 1.97M)

If anyone's curious, this is what Nihei himself had to say about his style changes

What's going through your mind as you're making these changes to your art style?
>Nihei: As my art style evolves, it changes what I want to draw. You can see that at the time I drew BLAME!, I really liked using a lot of black in my art. The early chapters are especially dark and black. But as the story progresses, you'll see that the artwork has less black in it. It's really tough work to paint all this black in the background. (laughs) Nowadays, I'm more into expressing things, telling stories just with lines.

Yes, that's definitely noticeable in Knights of Sidonia! Why did you opt to move toward this more line-driven style of artwork?

>Nihei: When there's more linework than dark blacks in the artwork, I'm able to convey more information. For example, if in this particular scene in BLAME!, it's drawn so dark, you can barely see that there are stairs there. When I paint a lot of black in the background, it looks cool and stylish, but it creates a situation where I am not able to draw as much information and details in the panel.

So it seems the change was more intentionally artistic than profit-motivated

one of my favorite Nihei pics

good post -- BLAME is really unique in its emphasizing mood over story (not to say the latter isn't there). Tomino had something similar to say about AoT and Isayama (who I guess was inspired by Nihei). In both cases I think the mangaka are elevated to 'author' status rather than just cartoonists, if that makes sense.

you and your kind are directly responsible for this shit

Attached: APOSIMZ - c024 (web) - p023 [Digital-HD] [danke-Empire].jpg (2146x3056, 1.94M)

Based Nihei

Attached: APOSIMZ - c024 (web) - p024 [Digital-HD] [danke-Empire].jpg (2146x3056, 2.17M)

Fuck you and die.

>Nihei: Not being able to make a living is a really scary thing. That might have been when I first started thinking about getting my work to sell, and how my readers saw my manga.
–The time had come for change.
>Nihei: Right, but I still wasn’t able to truly look at myself objectively. I was convinced at the time that I’d learned my lesson and was making stuff that would sell, but looking back at it now, I was still missing the mark. I’d never created a plot before — I was making it up as I went along, which is why people say my work is difficult to follow. So after about ten years of that, I decided to try doing a normal manga for once – change up my art style, try to make as user-friendly a manga as possible. Knights of Sidonia is one of the results of that.
–The art in Knights of Sidonia does seem quite different from your previous work.
>Nihei: Yeah, I wanted the art to have a Tezuka-level mass appeal. (laugh) I even considered changing my pen name when I was starting Knights of Sidonia. I wanted the story to be simple, too – nothing that would lose the reader. But while I was making it as user-friendly as possible, though, I figured it was important to make sure it’s still fun for me to draw in some way, so I chose to work within my favorite genre: robot manga.

>that encapsulate the feeling of the Megastructure?
Not exactly in that regard, but ECHO really gave me some Nihei-esque vibes.

More than made up for by the superior paper/print quality with colored pages.

>Killy only has any kind of emotion (fun) when he's killing Silicon life
>Silicon lifeforms probably caused the city to go out of control
>He saves the very last one and lets it escape to another planet to start a new Silicon life civilization
It was a pretty incredibly touching moment, honestly

Attached: 1544580475790.gif (100x100, 18K)

My wife Sanakan.

Attached: eec852cc002db4dea4b2766438cb1004.png (699x1049, 653K)

in sidonia they use higgs particles to create matter, so its probably something simmilar
i mean they did have a reality warping gravity generator just casually laying around so it would fit right in

I assume Killy mellowed out once his primary objective has been achieved.

But yes, great moment. I guess he never hated silicon life - if he even can hate - they were just in the way of his primary objective.

Thanks, I'm checking out the trailer and it looks pretty good

Do you pronounce BLAME! As BLAM or blame?

Megasphere

I pronounce it as "blame" because that sounds more edgy.

I pronounce it as "blem" to annoy people.

>bottom left panel
wait a fucking second

Attached: D_uAL_yUcAEXApc.jpg (959x960, 93K)

It should be BLAM! as the onomatopoeia of some laser gun shooting, but for some reason we got BLAME! instead.

Sidonia was pretty good, for what it was.
It did fall apart the moment he just decided to drive the nail into it to finish it, but some moments really felt like he had been saving them since the beginning, like the last talk Tanikaze had with Kobayashi before the big final fight.
Too many waifus though, was the real problem-- it would have been better if he had just stuck to Izana, and ultraman by the end.
And I say that as someone who liked the android girl and the Honokas the best

Attached: Imagine the smelle.png (1126x1600, 311K)

So, was Cibo the one who wound up in the undying sleep land after she got killed at the end? I was never really clear on who the little girl was

Attached: Blame!.jpg (700x1100, 159K)

Wait what? Can anyone give me a quick rundown?

I'm still mad the main dude didn't get with the bitch who literally became a woman for him.

It's not supposed to be clear.

BLAM! sounds too fucking silly for such a GRIMDARK work, so I call it "blame". And nobody can stop me.

Pronouced "Breimu"

I thought this was already a well-known fact.

Attached: the good snk.png (500x266, 88K)

"Buramu"

It's very clear.

Women ruin everything.

But to be fair there is nothing wrong with changing your style in order to provide for your family. Of all the reasons he could have done it that one makes it okay. If he kept doing obscure grimdark stuff his wife would have probably left him and taken the daughter with her. I can't really blame the man.

Also, how the FUCK is Cibo so perfect?

Attached: BLAME! and so on - 041.jpg (1222x1892, 769K)

where the fuck is season 3 you hack. i need more aya to ayane

Attached: 8130Ed1y-XL._SX355_[1].jpg (355x350, 21K)

How so?

Attached: 1297543021785.jpg (850x1245, 284K)

The cloning machine chapter was fucking great.
I loved how Cibo tries to ask about it, trying to intrigue some sort of philosophical explanation from Killy, and Killy just fucking blasts it out of existence.
Unironic magnificence in story telling

rent free

FACT: SSR takes place in the same universe and Blame! and I won't be conviced otherwise

Attached: 15077449564361.gif (420x370, 35K)

Again, that's a deliberately misleading image. His daughter was very young at the time and he was laughing it off as a 'kids say the darndest things' moment.
Also, the translation is outright wrong: it's 'you should draw', not 'you should have drawn'. The latter indicates a certain malice in no way present in the innocent throwaway comment by his daughter.

However, that's not to say that it wasn't his family's fault. It was, but it had nothing to do with that particular line said to him by his daughter.

That one must have made Cibo realize at least partially what kind entity she was traveling with.

Killy does NOT give a fuck. He's a utilitarian and ridiculously pragmatic.

I love their weird platonic sort-of-bromance.

Attached: 1338919931125.png (1000x1443, 359K)

Is this a touhou reference??????????????

Wrong

Where exactly would you find something like this?

Attached: wallhaven-550282.jpg (1680x1050, 731K)

Holy based

Just go find a company that does canvas prints for photographers/artists and get a print of any-fucking-thing you want.

I have multiple prints like that in my house, most set me back around ~50 bucks. High quality prints, pretty big, don't recall the size now.

When I used to live in Ireland I used pixaprints.ie, but I believe there are branches in other countries.

You can also use waifu2x to upscale shit that is more manga-like.

Attached: BLAME! and so on - 073_for_print.jpg (1128x1633, 1.53M)

Meh Biomega was better

Attached: x4.jpg (928x1281, 802K)

Your pic especially is high priority for one, it's really damn nice

>His daughter was very young at the time and he was laughing it off as a 'kids say the darndest things' moment
Yeah, I will give you that, but that doesn't change the fact that Nihei changed his style because his relatives and friends didn't understand his first stories, so he wanted to create stories that everyone would enjoy, sacrificing his original fanbase as a result.

they have synthetic beings and weird shit, so it's retarded to think that the mega stucture didn't have systems that could control the air concentrations

I'm with you on that, Izana should have won.

Attached: 1482524012147.jpg (1130x1600, 525K)

Was it love tho?

Attached: 1496529499945.jpg (1800x1350, 1.08M)

Yes, I know. I didn't provide the evidence for that because I don't remember the interview in which he said it and need to dig through desuarchive (presently offline) to find it.

I thought it was Mori.

>I thought it was Mori.
You mean the person in that little thing Killy carried when searching for Cibo's child? That was my thought too.

Attached: 1297549045714.png (400x400, 23K)

no

>The cloning machine chapter was fucking great.
Agreed, that chapter and the first two volumes are top tier for me. I wonder what would have happened if Blame! was more "episodic" in its nature instead of having the arcs that happened after the second volume. I enjoyed more Blame! when it was more about random things he encountered in his journey.

>Killy does NOT give a fuck.
Quite the opposite. I think Killy saw her sadness through her eyes and knew very well that he had to put her out of her misery, instead of letting her continue living as a literal breeding machine.

Yes, that USB thing that was his companion after Cibo. Even when she explained his story, it doesn't really fit Cibo's background.

>I think Killy saw her sadness through her eyes and knew very well that he had to put her out of her misery
That's fair, but I don't think it was empathy, he was just putting a human out of misery, which is probably somewhere down the list in hist programmed priorities.

Not really, but it was beautiful anyway. These two individuals have met each other in this vast, chaotic, dangerous, and ever-changing megastructure where human life has almost no value and almost anything can kill you easily. A world endlessly growing without purpose and without hope. And despite such a horrible world full of despair and aimlesness they managed to find some solace in one another.

Multiple times they show they core for one another. Cibo more than Killy probably, as Killy is kinda unfeeling and her life is down on his list of priorities compared to finding the NTG, but non the less we can see him many times going out of his way to find and protect her - like that time when he was sent down in that elevator by Domochevsky.

It's probably not love, but I'd say it's the most platonic and wholesome relationship that existed in that world seemingly devoid of emotion.

Attached: 1297548854376.jpg (700x1100, 137K)

it's been a while since i read it but i thought it was sanakan after she died after being sent back by the governing agency
i think they explained that she wouldnt have a backup anymore

Sorry, I misread the post you were quoting.

It was better than love.

Absolutely and utterly this.

They went past the filthy feeling of "love" and achieved a higher plane of appreciation for, and trust in, one another.

Attached: BLAME_Wallpaper_2_by_Shiroikai_by_the_megastructure.jpg (1024x768, 287K)

No. I don't think they've given care or thought for love. Hell I don't think they even have the capacity for it. Cibo had nothing else for her in her original community and Killey was searching for a solution to a recognized species wide problem. I wouldn't describe Cibo as a good person but rather one that recognizes the continued existence of the species and how the megastructure imposes a continuing threat to that problem so she took the opportunity to aid Killey whom she found to be extremely trustworthy.

Killey's goals has always been eradication of silicon life, find the net terminal gene, and ensure humanities survives. Anyone helping would be fine and Cibo offered help with a skillset he didn't have.

The thought of a intimate relationship has probably and never will cross their minds. Especially with that century long chase scene at the end of the manga.

I keep forgetting to buy the manga for this.

reminder that Killy has a benis

How do you know that?

Attached: 1338919561090.gif (403x352, 8K)

I want to kiss Deomochevsky

Digimortal needs some love too.

Not that user, but...

Attached: bl4.jpg (1537x2000, 1.49M)

Oh right, I remember seeing that before. That kinda explains it.

I was always wondering if Killy has a body of if he just regenerates directly a suit of some sorts. Like after he was burned by all that molten metal when Cibo turned into a safeguard and rekt all the shit around, and he had to re-grow his body.

That always looked like he regenerated with a suit already on.

Attached: blame_v08_p181.jpg (728x1066, 165K)

And here.

Attached: Blame_v09_c01_p012.jpg (728x1084, 93K)

It seems like he already has some kind of tight-suit like thing on him when he re-generated his body.

Attached: Blame_v09_c01_p021.jpg (728x1084, 84K)

yes, nihei never produced anything great besides blame!

It was his family's fault that turned him into his current Nihei.

none of the creatures in Blame universe are pure organic

He does, but that's presumably because of convenience. How stupid would it look if he regenerated naked, and a suit manifested next to him and he had to stop to put it on.

there was never anything love interest or of the sort
they just somehow met and doing journey together
there wasn't even a single relationship between them

Not love, but a level of understanding to duty. Killy had a task of great importance and gravity, to which he was wholly programmed to accomplish, and Cibo managed to fully understand that weight of that task.
True comrades in arms, which is a kind of severe platonic love.
Even if you wanted romancy love between them, Nihei threw us that bone with the Blame! Academy chapters-- that was fanservice enough for me, that I personally never felt a longing for an actual romantic relationship in the series proper.
Still SUPER ironic how Nihei wrote Sidonia, after Blame! Academy. Holy fuck, what a tragedy. I liked how Academy Cibo was basically recycled into Ren, En, and all the other Honokas

Attached: 4.jpg (1506x1100, 421K)

Yeah, I think you're probably right.

while the whole manga is littered with incredible pages, this one takes the cake for me. That the one moment where Killy gets emotional and even cries for deceased Cibo is relegated to a single small frame kinda underplays the scene's significance, and thereby amplifies how utterly fucking alone he is. Any other mangaka would have drawn a close up on Killy for dramatic effect, but Nihei relishes in understatement. Masterful

the little girl body is sanakan but cibo somehow hacked that body
so basically sanakan with cibo mind

Right, because they merged during the electrofisher chapter

Bros, I really want to read Blame but all the sources I ever found had mirrored chapters. Is there any place where I can read it non-flipped?

Blame was an overrated mess of a manga

Iko, please.

I wouldn't say "love" per say, but certainly a caring relationship. Look at these panels at the end of the electro fisher battle. Killy moments earlier got up out of a crater barely taking a minute to re-attach his disembodied arm before starting off again only stops to lean against a wall and close his eyes after finding the remains of cibo. You can tell that he attempts to keep walking but stops after a short time.

I believe Killy actually stopping speaks volumes for what he was feeling at the time after cibos apparent demise.

Attached: 31_539556_1435_2048.jpg (1435x2048, 537K)

>per say

Attached: 33_460248_1435_2048.jpg (1435x2048, 460K)

read master edition

I read it when I was unemployed, I was paying a prepaid internet plan that gave you 20gb for download. I remember reading it alone in my room, trying to figure out what was happening, appreciating each page one by one. I barely remember most of it. But I felt like I was a little piece of megastructure somewhere deep inside of it. It made me feel alone, but at the same time aware of how vast the world is. It reminds me of hard times. I waa very lonely during that time. My house was a mess with a lot of computer parts littering and piling up in my kitchen. It was not a motivation, but it was another world that opened up within my loneliness. Blame reminds me of looking at the sky and realizing how insignificant you are and how each person has their own world in their head with you can only take a little look at it. But you have to go your own way leaving those endless worlds behind, worlds that you will never see again and that you can only pass by, because your life is so short and minimal.

Killy will go around the megastructure for centuries and centuries
This is such a Library of Babel thing.