How are you coming along, friend?

How are you coming along, friend?

Attached: 1446000951052.jpg (2000x2256, 389K)

I can't do anything

Not if you put your heart into it!

I have the reading skills of a 5 year old.

I've hit a wall and don't know how to climb over it. I can read manga that's not too heavy on dialogue but I still can't seem to scale over to anything too complex.

Just learning reading kanji whenever I'm on the train or something. Why do they so often don't make any sense, boys?

Learn stroke order and you'll find there's a theme/pattern to each stroke and why they go to a certain character. Generally speaking.

I can't even remember basic greetings. It's so hard to focus.

I miss when those threads were on this board. /int/ and /jp/ are toilets.

I want to die. I can't do anything

Yeah I don't bother writing at all. I'm fine if I can just roughly glare at the thing and tell what it says without bothering how many strokes it has and how exactly they're positioned. I consider everything else madness. Just wondering about the radicals. Sometimes it makes sense that they would form a certain meaning, sometimes not at all. Why do we have the character for "dark" and there are two suns in it?

I cant be bothered to pick up learning it again after learning hiragana for some reason

Attached: 1545968700269.jpg (351x351, 32K)

Both readings and their etymology are a huge fucking mess. Not much to do about it than to jam them in.

you mean radicals not stroke order?

all translations from jap to english suck. the languages are too different. the only redpill to swallow if you're seriously into otaku media is to learn japanese.

Attached: 1550864156696.jpg (649x556, 182K)

Hiragana are worth nothing on their own. Even learning Katakana would be more useful

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the meaning of sentences sometimes. There are times where it seems like I roughly know the meaning of every single word but I can't figure out the meaning of the overall sentence and it drives me nuts, I can never come up with specific examples but there was a period of time where I dabbled in manga translation and I just could not make sense of shit sometimes. I suck ass and don't know how to get better but I don't want to give up.

user there is very important thread real estate on this board that must be protected against low quality threads!

Also never mind the 10 One Piece threads

Finally took the N1 test last month. Got anally destroyed by listening.

Attached: 1565596337123.jpg (1601x750, 66K)

Those threads belonged on this board, really. Whichever mod decided kicking them off this board was a good idea was a moron.

I've been quizzing myself over vocab this past month, so it's going better than expected
I have about 1000+ of the N1 vocab committed to memory now, so hopefully I'll be ready for the JLPT in a year or two.

Attached: 1562039558487.png (152x126, 22K)

>ITT people wasting time learning kanji instead of Japanese
It makes me sad every time. Learn how to read and write after you know the language.

I always sucked at learning new languages in school, I though with something I actually WANT to learn it would be easier but it's still exhausting as fuck. Nothing sticks on it's own like in any other goddamn subject you study.

Making an argument about the "quality" of Yea Forums threads really is obsolete in 2019. I would say at least 50% of threads up at any given time is teenaged spics shitposting the same memes about popular long-running shounen shows/manga

N1, what the fuck, isn't that like 8000 words?

Naruto threads were a mistake.

It's ok I guess

Attached: 忍.png (1281x717, 1.03M)

More and more research is coming out that you should NOT learn a language like you do another subject. Grinding flash cards, studying grammar, and getting corrections on your speaking/writing are all counter-productive.

That's fucking stupid. It makes it far easier to learn a word if you know what kanji it's composed of.

15-20k

>friend is in japan teaching RIGHT NOW

Attached: 1550337037988.jpg (373x416, 23K)

It's a gajillion kanji, yeah, but you'd be surprised at how much shit you could reasonably guess the meaning of based on their radicals and context.

Attached: 1549946486568.png (768x688, 244K)

Then wtf do you do instead?

muh immersion

How are you going to learn over two thousand kanji then? Radical mnemonics? And the readings are all just going to magically stick?
It's far easier to learn the language first then learn the kanji. They stick much faster that way, readings and all.
Is it easier to learn a word already knowing the kanji, rather than trying to learn the word without the kanji? Probably since the kanji can act as a mnemonic. Does that mean the entire process of learning kanji first is the easier approach? No, you're fooling yourself and others.

Then how the hell do I learn it?

is it true N1 is entirely comprised of trick questions?

They are linked and part of learning it. You learn the stroke orders as part of learning the radicals.

I stopped learning japanese because i realized how pointless it is.
if i'm really honest with you, anime and manga are the ONLY reason i want to learn Japanese. Anything else is just post-rationalization that isn't really true. Like how a trip to japan would be more convenient if i spoke Japanese, which is true, but you shouldn't spend years learning a language for some 2 week vacation trip.
I should really spend my time doing something more productive..

It's 10k you fucking retard. Why do you lie when the official materials literally state the amount?

Become a sponge

And the only way to learn Japanese is by consuming LOTS of otaku media in Japanese.
There's no such thing as dekinais. There's only people who've read lots of manga, light novels, visual novels, etc., and people who haven't done that yet.
I have the reading skills of a 14 year old, but I probably have the listening skills of a 1 year old.
The only way to learn hiragana is by reading. I spent 2 years kinda trying to learning hiragana and katakana, and didn't actually perfect my kana recognition skills till I started reading Kancolle h-doujin manga. Writing the names of Middle Eastern cities and German philosophers kinda helped to make me get used to the way words are written in katakana, but nothing really beats doing lots of reading.
btw heisig is a bad meme. the only way to become good at reading is by reading, and the only way to become good at listening is by listening, a lot in both cases.
texthookers and pop-up dictionaries are good, but they should be kept as supplementary tools, not as an actual substitute for making a conscious effort to remember words.

The two suns are blocking each other, therefore no light can reach planet earth.

stuck in intermediate hell. enough to try LNs but not enough to comfortably read them without dictionary mashing. Going to up my study levels.

Also got a JP edition mobage which will force me to at least look at niprunes every day. I can understand most of the dialogue boxes and what is going on, so that's something I guess.

Yes goy. Good attitude. Maybe work some more overtime!

It was back when I did it. Guess the new one is easier.

>productive
there's that word again

live in japan

Learning stroke order is a major waste of time. It's not the 80s anymore, and not even the JLPT requires you to write characters by hand.

Going pretty well I think. Reading 恥知らずのパープルヘイズ since the Golden Wind anime just ended. It's a fun read and not very difficult because it's Jojo.

Attached: 000015.jpg (1060x1536, 247K)

Nice bait