I just watched the Netflix Devilman adaption and what the fuck happened?

I just watched the Netflix Devilman adaption and what the fuck happened?
>Ryo's entire character has been fucking destroyed and they made the most obvious thing that he's bad guy
>Akira just turned into Ryo's lap dog and the entire journey of him hating humans is replaced by him still caring about them (even after everyone he loved died)
>The entire first volume establishing Ryo and Akira friendship was cut
>Ryo trying to convice Akira to become a Devilman was cut
>The entire Xenon entrance and the world learning about the Demons for the first was replaced by some stupid atlethics student transforming
>The side story of the kid and his mom being a demon was cut
>Akira talking about to the readers was cut
And i think there's more stuff that was cut and changed, how the fuck do you rush a 5 volume manga that was already rushed to begin with?

Attached: devilman-crybaby.jpg (1200x657, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MknYQxHRiVM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Netflix
that’s what happened

>what the fuck happened?
Netflix happened. Enjoy your end times.

>10 eps
They should have made it a 12-episode anime. They could have done more with 2 extra eps.

Netflix is radioactive and will give cancer to everything it touches

One thing they did add was a fight between him and zennon which surprised me since it never happening the manga (though it should have)

Zennon was a jobber on Crybaby though

He beat the shit out of Akira in the first round.

>just saw 7th episode of Castlevania Season 2
I dare to strongly disagree. There is at least 25 minutes of pure kino.

Attached: 1561651.jpg (1920x1080, 904K)

Stop blaming Netflix for the poor creative decisions.
I hate them just as much as you do, but they had no direct influence on the writing or production. They just threw their money at Yuasa and his team. Who are who actually fucked it up.

I agree. As much as I love Yuasa, all the bad decisions in crybaby have his signature. He was just the wrong director to do it.

>kino
are you implying you're not cancer?

>what the fuck happened?

Attached: 49519519494.jpg (220x330, 18K)

The scheduling is probably their fault

Why would it be? Being an online on-demand service, Netflix should have less strict scheduling than traditional TV stations.
I find it hard to imagine that they of all things would be the bottleneck when it comes to time constraints.

Anime on TV is still worked on all the way through airing, on Netflix everything has to be finished as soon as the first episode drops, together with the rest.

>on Netflix everything has to be finished as soon as the first episode drops
That's true, but Netflix can decide more freely when that should be. If you're producing for TV, you have to have your first episode finished when a free timeslot is available (after another series has finished), and have to go for weekly releases (no matter how refined the episode is, which is why anime on TV, but not the home-release, often tend to look worse towards the end). Your number of episodes does also depend on when the network wants to end its season and needs your timeslot again.
In Netflix' case, they can just wait until you're sufficiently close to being finished before they anounce a release date, that's not necessarily bound by any season ending or beginning.

But there's really no information regarding how strict Netflix is with deadlines or even how much time they give to anime creators, so there's basically no point to this discussion.

Yeah, I guess there isn't.
Of course, it would be a horrible business decision on their part to pressure creators more than necessary. But on the other hand, Netflix are not exactly known for making sound business decisions.

You might have a point if the manga wasn't a total mess.
>Ryo's entire character has been fucking destroyed and they made the most obvious thing that he's bad guy
is your only legitimate complaint.

>You might have a point if the manga wasn't a total mess.
Good thing that the manga wasn't a total mess then.

Dude, that thing was total pleasure to watch, from remix of Bloody Tears, over epic fight with Dracula, to his tearjerker death.
youtube.com/watch?v=MknYQxHRiVM
Makes me just sad, that series don't ended with this episode. Next one was just pointless sequel hook.
Still so many emotions in single episode. Makes me want more series like this.
Any idea how it looks with that posibility of Shankar doing Berserk remake?

You are complaining about script cuts of a fucking edgefest gore tittie manga.

Yuasa had his artistic vision for the devilman and he completed it and it was great and better than anything before him. The end.

>a fucking edgefest gore tittie manga
>Yuasa had his artistic vision for the devilman
>it was great and better than anything before him
And that's why nobody can stand you retarded Yuasafags. Always hating on the true classics without which your Yuasa would be nothing, and never accepting that he's fallible.

I don't see how scheduling would have changed entire character arcs that would have been planned from the beginning.

>this was the best vision of devilman yet because it elevated it above gory edgefest
>but also who cares if they cut character development
You have some strange standards. The campiness of old Devilman wasn't even bad; for a lot of people that's what they like about it.

Yuasa had his artistic vision for the devilman and he completed it and it was great and better than anything before him. The end.
Oh yeah, such artistic vision, like Ryo dressing up in white and his room being 666.
Even with Yuasa "artistic vision" there wasn't a single shot on that show that was memorable meanwhile on the manga there were dozen of amazing panels.

I genuinely liked Crybaby, even with (or maybe due to) the liberties it took with the source material.
The only scene I didn't like was that one where people formed a line to embrace Akira, only to have the tragedy of the witch hunt happen later in the story.

Wait Netflix actually made this anime? They didn't just license it?

I'd love to jerk some tears to this user but adding the very necessary evil priest character (fuck mom for taking me to church *holds up spork*) and making Alucard and Richter swear at each other just like in the games is enough for me to avoid this series. Fuck Warren Ellis, fuck Netflix. My nigga Grant deserves justice.

>Even with Yuasa "artistic vision" there wasn't a single shot on that show that was memorable meanwhile on the manga there were dozen of amazing panels.
Yes user because we never ever had daily threads on Akira's running, no sir. And nobody posts devil Miki fucking that guy to death.

No, they didn't "make" it. Not any more than TV stations "make" other anime.
The difference to other anime that Netflix buys is that those other anime usually get aired on TV in Japan and Netflix only buys exclusive rights for the overseas market.
In this case, however, as far as I know, it never aired on TV anywhere, and was partially financed by Netflix Japan (a service nost Japanese don't really care about).
So, yes, Netflix was more involved in it than usual. But, no, they did not "make" it, they just licensed it like a TV channel would.

>Yes user because we never ever had daily threads on Akira's running
Are you actually proud of that meme? Really? The "Deviman run" is popular beacuse people laugh about it. It's a stain on the whole franchise now. Thanks to Yuasa.

>Are you actually proud of that meme? Really? The "Deviman run" is popular beacuse people laugh about it. It's a stain on the whole franchise now. Thanks to Yuasa.
Well it's not "Koji Kabuto will never die," I will give you that.

Attached: my_father_died.png (656x588, 350K)

For Nagai, people at least had to force memes on bad traslations.
Yuasa's "style", however, itself is a meme.

What
Nagai's style was awful too that's literally the joke on that meme

>that's literally the joke on that meme
No, sorry. At least try to understand the memes you post.

You're right user, I'm completely wrong. Surely not even Nagai himself found it embarrassing enough to go and redraw it.

Attached: devilmanredraw.jpg (500x666, 80K)

>There is at least 25 minutes of pure kino.
>Sasuke bum Trevor
>Basedcula
>Nigger faggot Isaac
>Strong and independent Sypha
>Potato Hector
>B-b-b-b-but christians r evil

Please kill yourself.

Basedcula*

>Nagai himself found it embarrassing enough to go and redraw it
Nagai redrew lots of pages in many of his manga, retard. As have most other mangaka, for different releases. That has nothing to do with "being embarrassed".
Goethe rewrote his Faust II once every few months before it finally got released - after his death. Do you want to say that he was embarrassed by it, just because he kept working on it?

I swear, you Yuasashitters are the worst trolls on Yea Forums right now.

retard

No you're right user, when an artist gets better they would surely not redraw their old shit because it was not up to par and thusly have nothing to be embarrassed about.
>before it finally got released
You just answered yourself, it wasn't released. He would've kept working on it until he was satisfied by its current state, duh.
>I swear, you Yuasashitters are the worst trolls on Yea Forums right now.
I mean, I assure you that none of Go Nagai's most influential manga are well-regarded because of their artwork, Harenchi Gakuen looked like it was drawn by a middle schooler and was only popular because it broke many conventions in its story. I can understand if you personally didn't like it, that's completely fine, but complaining that Yuasa has too stylistic/symplistic/weird compared to Go Nagai's superb louvre worthy art where no characters ever went off-model and there was never any weird anatomy (which, of course, there was) is just loony. Go Nagai was no amazing artist, and if you don't like Yuasa that's fine, again, but he keeps getting work and keeps putting shit out there so I suggest you cool off because you're gonna burst a vein from being so mad that other people like his work, doubly so considering he's still gonna be working for a while, user.

Attached: Devilman-Classic-1-1.jpg (1641x2363, 1.11M)

>He would've kept working on it until he was satisfied by its current state
You do realize that an artist is never "satisfied", don't you?
Wait ... of course you don't. You have no idea how art is made.

Anyway, I repeat: Mangaka generally rework older works. Nagai, in your example, mainly added a bit more shading, which is a simple change, and not a total stylistic change.
Now, ironically, shading is also a thing that's absolutely missing from all his anime. You think he'll ever go over Crybaby's most obnoxious scenes and add that? It would surely improve the depth perception of those scenes, some of which look horribly flat.

>Harenchi Gakuen looked like it was drawn by a middle schooler
You're talking as if you could do better. Or if Yuasa could do better. Is this the case or are you just shitposting again?

>if you don't like Yuasa that's fine, again, but he keeps getting work and keeps putting shit out there
Yeah, I guess we can agree on that: Yuasa keeps putting out shit.

But, you know what? I usually don't care when he does that. Either because I don't care about the franchise he's ruining, or sometimes simply because he doesn't fuck up everything else, so I can overlook his shitty visuals.

Also, don't paint me as the one who started to shit on Yuasa: That was a reaction to you coming in here shitting on Nagai. Once again, because that's what you Yuasashitters always do.

>from all his anime.
* Yuasa's anime.
For clarification. I deleted a line there.

>You're talking as if you could do better. Or if Yuasa could do better. Is this the case or are you just shitposting again?
>Now, ironically, shading is also a thing that's absolutely missing from all his anime. You think he'll ever go over Crybaby's most obnoxious scenes and add that? It would surely improve the depth perception of those scenes, some of which look horribly flat.
Ruh-roh user, you can't do a 10 episode anime yourself either, guess you can't criticize Yuasa now. That comment about Yuasa not shading? You're gonna have to show us a 20 minute OVA you've made recently or else it goes in the trash, huh.
>Also, don't paint me as the one who started to shit on Yuasa: That was a reaction to you coming in here shitting on Nagai. Once again, because that's what you Yuasashitters always do.
I'm not the ad homineming anybody who doesn't agree with me a shitter. I watched Mazinger on TV as a kid, I've had Akira Fudo and Violence Jack minifigs on my desk since the early 00's. I would rather bite off my own tongue than not criticize the works made by the people who I look up to. I only recently just saw Akureyo Otome in theaters and didn't really watch Tatami Galaxy when it aired, but much later. I enjoy both Yuasa and Nagai and don't disagree with your criticisms of it except when they boil down to "Devilman was 100% artistically perfect and impervious to criticism and it is strictly Yuasa's fault that this anime isn't that way."

>you can't do a 10 episode anime yourself either
I'm not saying he "draws like a middle schooler", moron. If you say something like this, that literally means that you say an average middle schooler could do as well as Nagai, which also means that you can do better. But I guess you want to take that back now, don't you?
Cheap polemics, with no substance behind them.

I just say that Yuasa's style is shit. And lazy. I'm not claiming that I can do better or that he's worse than a non-professional. That's the difference between me and you, you see?

>"Devilman was 100% artistically perfect and impervious to criticism and it is strictly Yuasa's fault that this anime isn't that way."
Literally no one said that in here. But the manga was great (not flawless, but your criticism of it is simply stupid and besides the point). And Crybaby is bullshit. Not primarily because of the artstyle, but because of the abysmal writing.
However, when you point out something like webm related as a positive, you can't expect me not to speak out against that bullshit.

Attached: Devil Dash.webm (720x404, 301K)

>Just watched it myself
>Thread up
Neat. I enjoyed it since the premise was interesting even with the breakneck pace which I assume is because of the 10 episode limit. Worth going back and reading the manga?

Attached: 1533460308377.png (400x400, 107K)

>Worth going back and reading the manga?
Yes, even if it's rushed (and that kinda helps the story a little bit) the manga is amazing and the art may turn you off at the beggining but the atmosphere of story and paneling will impress you a lot.
also Ryo's actually a good character in the manga

This unironically.

If you say Yuasa is lazy you're telling me that you, who in turn are not lazy and as you said before actually do understand art, could animate a scene as good as this properly, right? That's how it works, right? Just for the sake of the argument here's a serialized series done by a 13 year old girl, it looks just as good as Harenchi Gakuen.
>Literally no one said that in here.
You yourself told me that the two memes that have defined both iterations of Devilman were non-comparable because the meme from the manga wasn't about Nagai's shitty artwork, but rather something that wasn't his fault while everything you dislike from Devilman is only Yuasa's fault, as if the original manga never had anything dumb and/or weird happen stemming from Nagai's limits or, dare I say, laziness.

Attached: Amaku-Nigaku-Mitashite-1.jpg (640x946, 161K)

>If you say Yuasa is lazy you're telling me that you, who in turn are not lazy and as you said before actually do understand art, could animate a scene as good as this properly, right?
No, retard, I don't. It was neither polemic nor a joke: His style is lazy. The missing shading, the large monochrome areas, his lack of defined movement - all of that is what you might call "cost efficient" or "workflow efficient" or, more commonly "cheap and lazy". It means that he and his team of animators deliberately put in less work than would be the industry standard, by a good margin.
It has nothing to do with what I can or can't do. I'm also lazy as fuck, by the way.

>Just for the sake of the argument here's a serialized series done by a 13 year old girl, it looks just as good as Harenchi Gakuen.
Actually, it isn't. It has no proper lineweight distribution (something that's a staple of Nagai's style) and no proper composition, neither of panels (another thing Nagai's good at), nor of the pictures themselves (notice all the empty space in random places and the far too dominant effects?).
Not saying it's bad for a 13-year-old. But you're just showing off that you don't know anything about art. Again.

>because the meme from the manga wasn't about Nagai's shitty artwork, but rather something that wasn't his fault
Sorry, but that's how it is. People laugh at the "My father died" line that seems far too direct in English. It even works without showing the page.

>while everything you dislike from Devilman is only Yuasa's fault
Please point to where you think I've said that.
You're full of shit, you know ...

>stemming from Nagai's limits or, dare I say, laziness
More like "stemming from Nagai being overworked". Yes, the manga has its weaknesses and is rushed in places. Because Nagai had to fight heavy time constraints and was working on a handful of other manga at the time. Not that that excuses those weaknesses. But so what?

>It has nothing to do with what I can or can't do. I'm also lazy as fuck, by the way.
I see, when I criticize something it has to do everything with what I can or can't do, but when you do, it doesn't. I get you, user.
>But you're just showing off that you don't know anything about art. Again.
I'll take it, translation and music are my fortés.
>Please point to where you think I've said that.
Anybody who has said anything negative about the original or Nagai has received a "Yuasashitter" from you, so.
>Because Nagai had to fight heavy time constraints and was working on a handful of other manga at the time. Not that that excuses those weaknesses. But so what?
The missing shading, the large monochrome areas, his lack of defined movement - all of that is what you might call "cost efficient" or "workflow efficient" or, more commonly "cheap and lazy". It means that he and his team of animators deliberately put in less work than would be the industry standard, by a good margin.
Ah OK, I get it. When Yuasa does it he's cheap, lazy, and cost efficient. But when Nagai does it he's prolific and editors are overworkers, I see.

>when I criticize something it has to do everything with what I can or can't do, but when you do, it doesn't.
You used a stupid polemic "as bad as a middleschooler", which is obviously untrue. I called something that is demonstrably lazy lazy. See the difference?

>Anybody who has said anything negative about the original or Nagai has received a "Yuasashitter" from you, so.
Assuming that be true, for the sake of the argument: How does that equate to " everything [I] dislike from Devilman is only Yuasa's fault"?
Sounds a lot like a strawman to me.

>When Yuasa does it he's cheap, lazy, and cost efficient.
Yes, because it's a concious decision of his. They didn't run out of time to shade their scenes properly, they planned to do it this way. That's cheap and lazy by design, probably to cut costs, or maybe because Yuasa actually thinks it looks good. That is a weakness by design.
It was not a consequence of being overworked or too little time, because pretty much everything Yuasa has released looks exactly like this.

>But when Nagai does it he's prolific and editors are overworkers, I see.
Well, look it up, if you don't believe me. For Devilman specifically, Nagai had to come up with the manga's stroyline (which he consistently added to) while also wrestling the Devilman manga, and releasing multiple smaller things on the side. Look at his manga output in late 1972 and early 1973.
Rushing parts of the Devilman manga definietly was not a concious choice on his part or on his assistants'. (The editors, by the way, were different people for different magazines. Them being overworked would not really be the same argument.)

I'm growing tired of your empty polemics, forcefully trying to turn every argument I make back on me without even caring for what the core of those arguments is and that they don't work the way you use them.
So, either make a sensible argument yourself or drop this charade altogether.

>You used a stupid polemic "as bad as a middleschooler", which is obviously untrue. I called something that is demonstrably lazy lazy. See the difference?
Just for the sake of argument here's another serialized series, this time by a 14 year old girl, it looks just as good as Harenchi Gakuen.
>Assuming that be true, for the sake of the argument: How does that equate to " everything [I] dislike from Devilman is only Yuasa's fault"?
That's my conclusion, if I'm wrong I can take it, but you can't call people who didn't outright hate this series like you did because of Yuasa Yuashashitters from now on.
>because pretty much everything Yuasa has released looks exactly like this.
Ah I see, I guess that's why people call it a style, huh? Cause I would believe a complete 1+ hr movie, compared to a 10 episode OVA, compared to a 12 episode series TV-broadcasted series --each with its own different deadline and budgetary constrains-- would show that he's just lazy and stupid and has no style whatsoever, surely, there would be no cohesion in any of those three since he's just doing it out of laziness and corner-cutting, rather than out of style, right? Do I get a "Yuasashitter" for that one?

whoops forgot image

Attached: 272273_original.jpg (355x516, 56K)

Yeah 25 minutes of kino between 12 episodes of nothing.

>force memes on bad translations
There is no way you can translate that scene without it being awkward and goofy. That’s just how Nagai writes.

He ruined Miki, making her this damsel who doesn't do anything useful.

>it looks just as good as Harenchi Gakuen.
Again, no. It doesn't. It again has the lineweight problem the other one had and the panelling is even worse. Did you even pay attention to what I've said before?

>if I'm wrong I can take it
You are wrong.

>but you can't call people who didn't outright hate this series like you did because of Yuasa Yuashashitters from now on.
I'm calling those people Yuasashitters who come to every thread talking about Crybaby (which will naturally have people who dislike it), trying to absolve Yuasa of any blame and attacking Nagai, just like you are doing, Yuasashitter.

>would show that he's just lazy and stupid and has no style whatsoever
No one ever said that he was stupid or had no style. Can you PLEASE at least stop with all those strawmen?

>he's just doing it out of laziness and corner-cutting, rather than out of style
Lazyness and cornercutting (which is the same thing in coordinated teamwork) can be part of someone's style. It's definitely the case for Yuasa.
That he is usable to adapt this style to the material he's working on is not a strongpoint of his, and you shouldn't try making it out to be one.

>Do I get a "Yuasashitter" for that one?
No. You get a "Yuasashitter" for everytime you attack Nagai, or for when you're intellectually dishonest. In this instance, you're just incredibly dense.

>There is no way you can translate that scene without it being awkward and goofy.
Yes, that's very true. But my point was merely that that goofy translation is the reason people use it as a meme, not the artstyle, as that other guy wants to make people believe.

Nah the art is a big part of why that panel is a meme. Ryo looks like he’s mindlessly driving to work.

>Ryo looks like he’s mindlessly driving to work.
Because, spoiler, in a way he is.
If you have any idea of his characterization and his role, his emotional detachment maked a lot of sense.

>over epic fight with Cuckla
You mean that one fight with average animation that ends with him killing himself because of O MY FEELINGS?

>My nigga Grant deserves justice.
Not existing in the Curryvania Canon is the best thing they did to Grant since he's the only one hat avoided having his character being butchered.

>Being hype for the eventual Niggaac vs Potato Hector 1v1.
No, fuck Netflix.

it had its faults for sure, but it also had some good things about it. Not everything is black and white, anons

>doesn't do anything useful.
So manga miki?

reasonable people normally dont exist on this board

>Akira just turned into Ryo's lap dog and the entire journey of him hating humans is replaced by him still caring about them
You're flanderising both versions of the character.

Yuasa's artistic vision for Devilman stopped after the first episode. The remaining 9 episodes are the worst things he's put out. Everything's presented in such a bland or plain bad way (specifically the storyboarding and color choices.) Go watch Mind Game and it should be apparent that Yuasa phoned it in.

i agree. the first episode was on a whole other level. maybe he didn't have a clear vision for (the most part of) the remainder of the story.
or maybe the used up al the budget there, netflix funded adapations looks all on the cheap side.

I find it hard to believe that Yuasa didn't have a clear vision for the remainder of the story. The manga's imagery is striking, unique, iconic, and borderline abstract. It feels like Yuasa ended up stripping the story of all those qualities instead of amplifying them in ways that only animation could. I don't know how Yuasa went from doing a 1 to 1 adaptation of Ping Pong's imagery to an adaptation of Devilman that feels unambitious visually while throwing all of the iconography of the original out the window.

The rapping and the soundtrack were the only good things about crybaby

Well what I'm saying is: he either didn't have a clear idea how to reproduce (or amplify) the manga imagery and so he played it safe-conventional, or he didn't have the budget to do that (like he did for ep1).

Newsflash:if u didn't like crybaby kill urself

Attached: (you).png (1200x559, 390K)

Based

Attached: 1540416544341.jpg (1024x595, 56K)

I liked it. I just think it's bogged down by trying to be more conventional.

>it's different therefore it's bad
An argument only a subhuman could make.

>the differences make it worse therefore it's bad
An argument only a subhuman could make

>I don't know how Yuasa went from doing a 1 to 1 adaptation of Ping Pong's imagery to an adaptation of Devilman that feels unambitious visually while throwing all of the iconography of the original out the window.
Yuasa is a one trick pony: If the thing he tries to adapt fits his style - good. Otherwise, well, you'll end up with something like this.
It's not as if Ping Pong or Tatami Galaxy had a different style. (Other than Tatami Galaxy being more colourful and Ping Pong being less colourful.)

It is supposed to be sudden and awkward, but I don't think I've ever seen a translation to include Ryo's 'hehehe' in the bottom panel. That's the point, he's supposed to be so deranged and far from his usual self even Akira is taken aback. I didn't know about the meme the first time I read the manga, so all I could think about that page was 'what the fuck is wrong with him', not 'haha, funneh'.

Attached: DEVILMAN_03_041.jpg (780x1220, 143K)

Will we ever get a good complete adaptation?

I liked Crybaby as it's own thing but I'd still rank it under the original and maybe Grimoire.
The soundtrack was fucking great though, I still listen to some tracks from it.

Overrated trash adaptation