How come Monster is the only of Naoki Urasawa's post 1990 manga that has gotten an anime adaptation...

How come Monster is the only of Naoki Urasawa's post 1990 manga that has gotten an anime adaptation? I know Pluto is coming but Billy Bat and 20th Century Boys are some of the greatest modern mangas

Attached: 51ZRD009vkL._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (358x499, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hsCS1roq3Js
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

20th Century Boys got adapted to live-action, Billy Bat wasn't that popular I think.

>some of the greatest modern mangas
Your taste is as bad as your pluralization.

I don't think that Billy bat could work as a modern anime, maybe in 2004 like monster

i'm to dumb to understand 20th century boys

The problem is that Urasawas's mangas are not only slow paced, but are also full of dialogue, have few action scenes, delve deep into characterization and don't rely on common anime clichés.
None of these factors are good for an anime adaptation which is expected to make lots of money.
Oh, and don't forget that Urasawa's endings usually FUCKING SUCK AND CAN RUIN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE OF THE MANGA:

Attached: consider_anime1.jpg (600x600, 48K)

Englisg is my second language, is that noy how you say it?
20cb live action skipped over pretty much everything tho.

How come?

Essentialy boils down to boy makes up end of the world, other boy tries to make it happen.

Yeah, I can see that. Wasn't Monster popular though? And surely they could change the endings, they did with 20cb live action.

>Wasn't Monster popular though?
Yes, but not popular enough to make anime studios look at Urasawas other works.
Also keep in mind that Monster was one of his more accessible works compared to 20th Century Boys or Billy Bat.

>And surely they could change the endings, they did with 20cb live action.
Yes, but that would need additional writers and money to change the whole plot in order to give a truly satisfying ending, which would make an anme adaptation even more unlikely.

I guess I thought Urasawa was more popular than he is considering he is constantly working, has anime and live action adaptations and recently had his work exhibited in LA and London.

>Your taste is as bad as your pluralization.
Oh look guys, is the user with the best taste in the Universe. He's going to delight us with the ton of edgy manga bullcrap that he thinks so much is great.

I would like 20thCB but it's really long and kinda hard to adapt I think. Pluto is perfect and I can't wait for it.

Does anybody else read Asadora? It gave me a bunch of 20thCB vibes, in a good way I mean. It feels more interesting than BB which had gread arcs and characters but was doomed from the get go thanks to that bat shit that never really fir to the rest of the story.

They have live action adaptations.

GU TA LA LA
SU DA LA LA

youtube.com/watch?v=hsCS1roq3Js

Been wanting to read Asadora but considering how complex Urasawa's writing tends to get I'm gonna wait til it's finished. If I start now I'm just gonna be confused when it ends in 2016 or whatever.
Just looked it up on MAL and it doesn't have that good of a rating, for some reason.
I would be more excited for Pluto but it's probably my least favourite of his works. That's not to say it isn't good.

>If I start now I'm just gonna be confused when it ends in 2016 or whatever.
Will Urasawa manage to bend time and space with his next work?

My bad. 2026

Do they really need to be animated? Honestly, anyone who's read it isn't going to experience anything new by watching it. Anime adaptations these days are either for LNs or more popular manga that anime-only fags are too lazy to read.

I guess not. I just really want to be able to talk about them. Mention anything by Urasawa that's not monster and you get four replies at most.

Billy Bat is nice and definitely deserves it, but I'm with on this. 20th/21st CB gets completely fucking ruined by the end of it and no one is willing to animate roughly three-four seasons worth of dialogue over dialogue only for it to end with ~8-10 terrible episodes. Even bigger waste of time than reading it. I do appreciate your thread though.

Sure wish we could get more news on Pluto's adaptation. Getting a bit worried by now.

After 20CB you basically know that anything Urasawa does is going to be a series of escalating asspulls and absurdity, so with Billy Bat you're prepared from the beginning and just go along for the ride and accept the premises of Bat-Mite talking to Judas, Hitler and Oswald.

Attached: a lucky shot for the lion king.jpg (250x382, 30K)

Pretty much, but at least the final stretch of BB worked better than Urasawa pulling multiple new characters out his ass last minute at the end of 20CB, only to say "Ah yes. Elementary my dear friends. The villain was the character introduced 2 pages ago all along.", then have an entire new series dedicated to convincing people that it was somehow a smart twist.

>bullcrap

>20th Century Boys are some of the greatest modern mangas

why does everyone hate billy bat? i thought it was based only until kevin "died". but even then, it still wasn't that bad.

I went to his exhibition recently. It was a very nice event. He had a very firm handshake. He must be used to it. I also learned there that he's very against the digitization of his manga. I guess that explains Monster having shit scans.

The Japanese House in London btw

>I know Pluto is coming but Billy Bat and 20th Century Boys are some of the greatest modern mangas
But Pluto is easily better than both.

>When we win the war, it'll belong to us
Unironically what did he mean by this? Is he referring to the Korean war?

Attached: BillyBat110_18.png (838x1200, 333K)

Monster anime is interesting how the OST and the slower nature of anime compared to manga completely changes the tone and atmosphere.

What I mean is that Urasawa mangas can be read rather quickly despite the heavy dialogue (page-turners if you will) but by forcing the pacing on you in anime it forces you to digest it slower. This can make it more "boring" but it can also make you understand it better

>I also learned there that he's very against the digitization of his manga
Did he delve into specifics? I broadly prefer paper for the feel and the art generally looks better but digital is so damn convenient

This is a shonenshit board

Can he speak English well?

Yeah, he'd drawn something for the owner and wrote the message in English. Something about the guy managing the Japanese rugby(?) team. I think that guy was the owner of the place.

His stuff wouldn't sell BDs or merchandise, unfortunately.

I believe Billy Bat starts off around the time period late into the Second World War, so the policeman is referring to that.

Is (the real) Chuck Culkin's run on Billy Bat a reference to Paul Murry's run on Mickey Mouse? Pretty obscure reference.
It definitely starts out around 1949; translation error?

Attached: a5b6a2bf70b1b98dd3378d472a496779.jpg (635x378, 79K)

Ah, it does. Then I'm not sure what he would be referring to. It may very well be a translation error.

Asadora seemed interesting from the cover and summary but I noped out as soon as it opened with supernatural shit. I'm really kind of sick of him throwing that stuff into what would otherwise be interesting, grounded stories. Like imagine if Yawara had a sentient Inokuma family crest that had been subtly manipulating the course of history to get Yawara to the Olympics or something, it'd be fucking dumb yet he keeps forcing that kind of shit into his stories.

Billy Bat was just a repetition of 20CB

I get the impression that he really likes the ol' Lost Highway switcheroo

Attached: lost_highway_1997_german_a1_original_film_art_2000x.jpg (1469x2044, 301K)

The connection between historical people/character arcs and the whole BB mystery didn't work at all for me and there was barely any to begin with. To me it always felt like two different series, a bit like that terrible B Netflix anime, but with Urasawa trying to merge them. What was even the point of Billy in many of the arcs? Oswald could have shot Kennedy without that, it never really added anything. And the end was some open shit kinda, almost nothing was explained about Billy and then we get the sudden semi-apocalypse and the manga ends right in the middle of it.

Billy Bat is absolutely wild until the last 15 chapters where Kevin goes into the cave and then its just like idk draw the bat dude art brings us together when the entire time this fuckin bat was a part of so much shit to at the end of the day be this simple sort of thing it was really weird. I honestly may not have understood it so if its actually something else please tell me.

Yeah - that's what killed Billy Bat for me. I am not sure about Asadora yet though, only read the first chapter and some part of me hopes the Godzilla will end up being some troll like that Friend robot and there won't be any actual supernatural stuff. I am okay with this but it should just stay in the background as flavor, like the hints about Johann having some lowkey ESP talents or that kid in 20thCB bending forks and spoons, but not as the actual threat the story is about.

Is it confirmed if the Pluto adaption will be a seasonal TV anime or will it be a few OVAs or what?

Nothing confirmed yet. We have only seen a single fight scene till now and it was filmed by somebody.
I honestly don't get why everything is so secret.

The mystery sorrounding Billy felt like a constant edging that didn't pay off

Yeah wasn’t it all the way back in 2017 when it was announced it was being adapted? Hopefully the wait and suspence is worth it in the end, but that animated clip looked pretty promising so I’m not too worried.

Shame indeed

Because this is a contrarian board.

Yes. I wish they would at least tell us who makes it or anything.

It's directed by sunao katabuchi so it's very promising

I feel like they might be saving for next year when the Olympics will bring a lot of attention to Japan. It'll probably be a great time for promotion, especially when you already have the name Astro Boy attached to the project.

That's misinformation. The Sunao Katabuchi movie was a different headline, the video was just oddly edited.

What is Asadora actually about? The synopsis was weird?
>just read it, faggot
Yeah kinda true. The pics I have seen so far look really weird though, monster, timeskips etc.

Attached: x2.jpg (2266x1600, 1.41M)

There have been no supernatural elements or weirdness yet outside of like, two ambiguous panels so I'm not sure where you're getting than impression.