Is learning Japanese really worth it? Am I missing a lot on source materials if I just wait for English translations?

Is learning Japanese really worth it? Am I missing a lot on source materials if I just wait for English translations?

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 370K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AnsK3JbnpBk
lose.jp/official/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

English """"translations"""" are shit, especially since subtitles are becoming more and more "dubtitles" these days. It's worth it just to understand and appreciate the originals. Untranslated stuff is just a bonus

Attached: 1525139585491.png (1280x720, 641K)

If you're learning japanese to watch anime and read vn, no. If you're learning japanese to move up in your life, yes. Being able to read vn is just the cherry on top.

>Am I missing a lot on source materials if I just wait for English translations?
Ahahahahahaha!

Phenomenally so. The number of titles that never get translated exceeds the pile of translated titles like the non-scanlated doujinshi outnumber the scanlated ones.

You need to be at the highest level of jap to read light novels. Dont bother

Always.

Attached: 1530091395345.png (1082x2157, 391K)

I studied it to read VN back when the genre was somewhat obscure and translations rare and took years. I got to read some very good kamige so I'm glad I did. Now though VNs are quite popular and get translated by the bulk and so are LN and manga. If you want to delve into the lesser known titles then go for it, if its for every other VN/LN/manga don't feel pressured, most will be translated at some point. Gl with whatever you do.

No lol, unless if you want to read obscure eroge, shit manga, and jap twitter posts.
Just go learn some european language or whatever language, with the exception of maybe chinese. By the time you are ぺらぺら in jap you'd be speaking nigh fluently in 4-5 of them

Attached: 1561566943113.jpg (364x409, 52K)

ファックユーできないちゃん

nope

Attached: Best%20second%20language[1].png (975x779, 41K)

>he thinks he can learn Japanese

Attached: 1446000951052.jpg (2000x2256, 389K)

Yes.

Why does yougov not have the gov domain?

>learning a language based on what normalfags think about it

Why would I want to speak some stupid Muslim language when I can learn Japanese and actually read nice Japanese shit instead of shitty Euro nothing

Russian should be higher and German should be lower

蜘 spider
蛛 spider
蜘蛛 spider

Great language.

エロゲやりたいなら日本語が練習しておく

を instead of が I think

If it looks fun, go for it. I get extremely satisfied by learning how to do challenging things regardless if they're "useful" or not, though not everyone is like this. Seeing improvements, no matter how small, is one of the most enjoyable things to me no matter what it is.

If you feel this way at all, go at it. I love it.

Attached: 1531189978595.jpg (1018x1336, 276K)

Acquiring knowledge is never a bad thing but you should ask yourself if you're ready to waste a few years of your life on this.
>Am I missing a lot on source materials if I just wait for English translations?
Not really unless you want to read some lesser known stuff.
Most of the things that get anime adaptations nowadays get picked by English publishers left and right.

Isn't the second one "arachnid"? Not like it's used much these days anyway

Yeah, different types of spiders from what I can google.

That's just normalfags going
>Am I making money off this?

DO NOT LEARN MANDARIN.

LEARN CANTONESE INSTEAD

You miss out on literally 90% of anime, manga and any other material from nippon.
Understanding Japanese is the biggest QoL change you can make if you actually consume a lot of translated Japanese material.
There'll be detractors that will be telling you that learning an entire language just for weebshit is a waste but that's illogical since you're actually learning something that enhances the experience of your interests and actually makes you less dependant on third parties delivering you translations of subpar quality.
So you basically get:
>early acces to material since no need for translation
>full understanding of anything nip
>a bigger catalogue of material to choose from

Unless you only read the few most popular VNs, it's definitely worth it for them. Even for the popular ones you will be waiting for years most likely.
Hell, there are still some cult classics with no full translations.

Kanji can be autistic sometimes and that's why most japs don't know most of them.

I learned Japanese to enjoy weebshit without subtitles. But all it really did for me was make me realize that shonen characters have absolutely retarded names.

If you watch anime long enough you'll start to pick words and phrases. You should probably learn the basic grammar structure to supplement this.
I'd say about 30% of the time I don't need the subtitles. That lets me focus more on the animation.
And sometimes the subtitles don't really match the original japanese because some things don't translate well.

Learning the language properly pretty much requires you to start by learning the written language which fucking sucks. I think I could manage to learn either katakana or hiragana, but learning both is just too much. And then kanji comes in and kicks you in the balls.

Attached: fifty fifty.jpg (822x532, 77K)

>>I'd say about 30% of the time I don't need the subtitles.
It's closer to 5%, you just think you know more because you know a few very common set phrases.

I watched animu for a decade, and I learned more in a month of actual study.

I fucking hate the chinese language. It sounds horrible.

Does anyone have the screencap?

N2 here. Will be taking N1 next year. Learning Japanese is really fun and rewarding if you can find a good rhythm. I do my anki decks for kanji and vocab (core10k) every morning, as well as bunpro (great new grammar SRS tool, highly recommended). It makes me feel like I have accomplished something every morning, which sets the mood for the day. I'm just doing it for fun and for the challenge, I don't need it for my job. Back when I was doing job interviews though, almost every interviewer asked about it, since I usually mention it in the languages section on my CV. It's just an interesting skill to have.

Tbh it's not particularly necessary unless you want to go to the horrible land of totalitarianism that is modern China.

I'm not saying I understand 30% of the language. I definitely have to check the subtitles if there's proper dialogue, but there's a whole lot of common phrases that get thrown around in anime. A little knowledge can go a long way.

What I'd really like is some romanji versions of LNs or something. I could pick up the language a lot faster if I was reading it, but as I said, there's no way in hell I'm learning kanji.

>interested in learning japanese
>but also starting a new carrier next month and I have a lot of stuff to learn to master it
m-maybe I will try again in a few years

Attached: 1540413163220.gif (506x516, 443K)

You don't understand the first thing about Japanese. If you'd actually try, you'd realise within about a month or two that Japanese without kanji is hell on Earth, and that kanji literally exist to help you.

There are LNs out there with furigana for all kanji. Not learning kanji is a fucking stupid idea, but knock yourself out I guess.

If you want to read anything learn Kanji, you'll waste a lot of time learning words by hiragana and katakana only

no way in hell

>carrier
user....
This.
That can be true for non-anime translations, too. I remember Ninja Warrior on G4 had subtitles and, man, sometimes it seemed like they didn't even try, and just made shit up.

Attached: (Hi10)_Boku_no_Hero_Academia_-_35_(BD_720p)_(neko-Hi10)_(91566CD1).mkv_snapshot_16.05.209.jpg (1280x720, 466K)

>there's no way in hell I'm learning kanji.
Ahh yes, the classic trials and tribulations of learning Chinese Hieroglyphs.

>chinese
where's that greentext about the guy that had to deal with chinese steel manufacturers ripping his company and buddy off with warped bootleg rusty steel

Actually true. I remember when I started out, my first manga was Yotsubato since it's what everyone recommends for newbies.
I kept reading it till the last volumes and man, so the more I progressed with the language, the more I struggled with reading words without kanji.

If you don't mind me asking, for how long have you been studying, and how much time do you dedicate to it per day?

I think that it is worth to learn for animes, but not for mangas, doujinshis and VNs. There aren't a lot of untraslated stuff to read. Most of the time, you will find raws in chinese, not japanese.

Animes are worth because FUCK Crunchyroll, FUCK Funanimation, etc...

This post is so wrong it must be bait.

Attached: 1536462597204.jpg (620x708, 232K)

He's right about the Crunchyroll/Funi bit

is there any point in learning japanese if you don't masturbate? I asked it in other thread but forgot about it and can't find it anymore

Attached: 1549686726666.png (451x619, 467K)

yes

there we are
fuck chinks btw

Attached: lrNHGbS.png (1400x5552, 946K)

You're are going to have to learn it whether you like it or not, bucko!

Where can I find raw novels?
Nyaa doesn't have the ones I'm looking for.

The problem with learning other languages is I'd probably need to be a very high level to use it at all. I doubt things like Goethe or Lem would be something I'd get to quickly and why else would I care about any of these languages aside from literature? Also most of those sorts of things have much more professional translations into English.
At least with Japanese I have a huge amount I want to use it for and at a range of difficulty levels.

Attached: I feel so good.jpg (1839x1876, 480K)

Mandarin is the zshuzshizisisizzisiizizizu one and Cantonese is the MALOSOMAIYASAMNAI one right?

Attached: 1539126765489.png (951x538, 502K)

how so?

But what would I use chink/spic/baguette for? I don't why people go on about muh useful languages when all they do is look good on resumes.

Cantonese is the one where everyone sounds like they're shouting and really angry at each other all the time but actually that's just their normal speaking tone. Also if you've ever watched Ip Man, that was originally in Cantonese. youtube.com/watch?v=AnsK3JbnpBk

There's more to Japan than hentai. Also

Depends on what you alternatives are. If you're shitposting all day then it's definitely worth it, but if you have a life, there's probably a million better ways to spend this time.

thx for the encouragement

Attached: 1551002527356.jpg (952x960, 145K)

About an hour a day, sometimes less. About five years.

Not really, no. Chances are you'll get jaded and disappointed in anime/manga as an artisic medium during the years it will take you to learn japanese. By that time the only thing powerful enough to keep you would be your dick. Add to that the fact that most of the worthwhile stuff is already translated, and it's rarely so worthwhile as to lose something significant in translation.

I have a more important question though. How come you don't masturbate?

Yes to the second, no to the first.

> muh usefulness
Bug-person mentality.

I learned to understand Sugita Tomokazu and it was the best decision of my life. I have stopped watching 20-40 every season, but I'll never give up on weekly Umasugi Wave and Anigera Didoon.

Attached: 「女性声優さんの味がする」.jpg (1208x680, 59K)

it's way more common than you think, even on /a
there's just no point in talking about it, so no one does

Attached: 1551446128084.png (334x229, 67K)

Tokyo Encounter subs stopping gave me some encouragement to learn. Aside from Nichibros all of his best stuff isn't in anime.

Japanese is a simple as fuck language so sure. You just have to lean to abandon the pretence that you can explain it within European grammar structures.

Oh and do actually learn some linguistics while you're doing it, don't turn into It's nothing to do with government, it's a company that, by it's own admission, isn't actually a polling company, it's designed to try and manufacture opinion.

I don't think I'll get bored of anime even after another decade.

But light novels are the worst thing you could try to consume. So many manga and even most anime are miles better.

Are you one of those castrati I keep hearing about?

>it's way more common than you think
I get the feeling you're one of those nutjobs in some kind of hugbox community where you think "no-fap" is something people actually do. It isn't.

no and I don't even know what that is
I's draw you a parallel
you know when you see everyone around you getting excited over sports? they all love it even though they're not the ones playing. it's understandable but you can't really sympathize
yes it is, there's just no obnoxious loudmouths making themselves known. it's not a movement or anything, I just don't have a hobby most people do

I'm learning Japanese to read/translate my waifu's untranslated LN. Reading anything else would just be a cherry on top.

アルミ缶の上にあるみかん。

If there were no more translations I still wouldn't learn Japanese, it's too hard. I'd just look at the pretty pictures

Japanese writing is definitly one of the hardest language but it's defintly worth

Attached: 177.jpg (1400x2000, 230K)

I feel like I've seen you in another one of those thread, who is your waifu?

Yes because it isn't even that hard. Unless it's your first time ever learning another language, it shouldn't take you that long before you can understand most of it. Kanji difficulty is overrated, literally just learn to memorize shit. People memorize pokemon names without even trying.

Why would anyone learn Chinese though? Anyone with a right mind wouldn't want to visit your country or talk to your people. Japan has a better culture, more interesting people to talk to and much better media to consume.

>Japanese is a simple as fuck language
>it isn't even that hard
Imagine actually believing this. It's objectively the hardest language on Earth.

Attached: 1523827813456.png (698x768, 156K)

What's with the sudden influx of these threads? I swear we're getting multiple a day now.

Attached: 592293227298684928.png (128x128, 27K)

Man, I forgot how shit my geography knowledge was.

You do realise that chart is a fucking meme right? Any actual linguist will tell you this straight up.

Unless you think that it's literally impossible for Japanese students at university to learn the language during their time at university, instead of the reality where by third year they're tackling some quite challenging material. Professor Rubin's book even directly mocks this chart. And he knows more about Japanese than you ever will.

Hence I said that it was worth it for me, but if OP just wants to read a couple VN and no more then it might not be worth the investment.

How do I get the hang of particle subtleties? I do my mined cards and read untranslated stuff every day, but my eyes just glaze over when I see massive clusters of them.
Those rankings are for native English speakers in particular. It's true though.
I wonder if an equivalent ranking exists for native nip speakers.

>1 hour a day for 5 years
>~1825 hours
>~76 DAYS
Holy fucknugget, N2 is good though.

>25 hours of class per week
What the fuck, that's like having a school/college with only 1 subject. How do they not go crazy?

>particle subtleties
context + hearing them used over and over and over and over in context just kidding you'll never learn the difference between は and が

I don't know where the meme "japanese is easy" is coming from but Japanese is definitly hard.
Those who say that either never learn any other language so have nothing to compare it with or didn't go far into their learning of japanese.
The hardest part about japanese is that their writing system isn't native, it was just added on top of their language and they did everything in order for it to fit.
But it's because japanese is so hard that it's so satisfying once you know it.

>Unless you think that it's literally impossible for Japanese students at university to learn the language during their time at university, instead of the reality where by third year they're tackling some quite challenging material. Professor Rubin's book even directly mocks this chart. And he knows more about Japanese than you ever will.

I don't know about america but in my country the level of Japanese in university is just ridiculous, by the third year they're not even N2 but more N3. If it was any other languages they'd be proeficient by this time.

It's definitely exaggerated but at the same time it's partially true if your primary language is English.
Japanese is different in literally every way.
Not having an affinity for language learning will also add to difficulty.

They can be tackling all the challenging material they want. It doesn't make them proficient.

should I use rosseta stone for learning japanese or what method does user would recommend?

They do, FSI training is dogshit and they end up going on like 3 months vacations after it.

Literally they're worse than freshman university students at learning. Somehow.

>I don't know where the meme "japanese is easy" is coming from but Japanese is definitly hard.

It comes from the fact that it's a language where if you know about 2000 words you can speak like an adult and read most things, that's incredibly rare in language to do so with so few words. On top of that the grammar is incredibly consistent and logical. It's Japanese textbooks that are shit and teach you things wrong.

read the op on the djt at /jp/ but don't talk to anyone there

Light classes for formal grammar maybe, but mostly osmosis through exposure to whatever media you're using it for. Then there's other resources like anki and whatnot. Half of Japanese is in the context and intonation of speech. People who can't into those two things are usually the ones that struggle the most with Nip.

>he cant into the tones

if you know english theres no reason to learn any language besides japanese. theres absolutely nothing valuable that's in neither of those two languages

This

>it's a chinese game
user, I...

Anki. The /djt/ thread, wherever it ended up, is helpful. Stick to personalized self-study if you can.

but German is racist, why is it so high in the chart?

unless you plan to work in some other country then yeah but culture-wise fuck no

>he googled for the Chinese translation on Steam
Dumb monolingual.
lose.jp/official/

>It comes from the fact that it's a language where if you know about 2000 words you can speak like an adult and read most things, that's incredibly rare in language to do so with so few words. On top of that the grammar is incredibly consistent and logical. It's Japanese textbooks that are shit and teach you things wrong.

Talking isn't the only aim when you learn a language, reading is another one and obviously that's what I'm talking about in my post. Taking it into account Japanese is way harder than most languages. I've heard so many people who have been living in Japan for years but still can't read any book.

>Is learning Japanese really worth it?
Depends on how you are going to use it really. I personally love to learn about different cultures and languages so i would love to learn Japenese (Sadly time doesn't allow me to). I already know two languages and Japenese is another one i would like to learn just to read Manga, Twitter posts/comics and probably Anime because translations are almost never 100% accurate. I say if you have the money and time go for it even if it's just to enjoy your Hobby more

Attached: 1604-15-Yu-Gi-Oh-Duel-Monsters-Saikyo-Card-Battle-1.jpg (249x321, 25K)

The key to learning Japanese is fapping a ton, and only to 2D.

>The /djt/ thread
>unironically recommending djt thread.
When was the last time you've been there?
It's a huge cesspool of shit with the only worthy thing being links in the OP.

>if you know about 2000 words you can speak like an adult and read most things
I'm sorry what the fuck?
I've got 2.5k words learned out of the 6k deck and even shounen manga still trips me up often.

And you're sat here for more than an hour a day, dude.

>you're a nutjob for thinking there are people who do what you yourself are doing

I started reading konosuba light novels about 4 months ago (currantly at sixth volume) and every time I see a new word I try to add it to anki. Going strong this month. The only day I missed my reps was the day I flew to Japan for my holidays lol

Attached: Screenshot_20190806-032509.png (1440x2560, 302K)

Ahem, meant the links in the OP.
As far as places to practice go, I used to frequent the Japanese general on /int/, but last I saw they had a huge spamming problem.

Maybe you should rethink what’s in that deck. You might be learning a ton of crab you’re rarely going to see or use

No bully. When you just study something on and off in your free time, you tend to forget things fast. I often forget kanji that I should really know. For the first 3 years, I've learned very little, to be honest. I've only really been consistent with studying for about the last 2 years, probably less. The important part is to never give up and having fun while doing it.
忍耐は成功への鍵です!(*´・ω・`)b

エロゲー with a long ē
日本語を for the sentence object
しておけ for imperative (ordering user to do it)

Unless you meant you are doing it to play, in which case:
から instead of なら to say ‘because’ instead of ‘in case’

I don’t know how to memorise shit efficiently, care to give a tip or two? Would greatly appreciate it.

Sure you run into Kanji problems (especially when authors get creative) if you wanna read books aimed at older people who have just absorbed an ungodly amount of Kanji over the years, but the majority can be generally handled if you actually want to.

That's because the anki deck is a meme. Go look up children's kanji study lists and it includes a ton of stuff that's not early on in that deck, but what is early on in that deck is shit like "stocks" and "economics" and "political representative"

Attached: 1550383364893.jpg (378x229, 37K)

Core is bad.
You should mine cards primarily, and maybe use core as a slight supplement from time to time.

>xiao mei mei