Why is worldbuilding in anime always so overly simple and shitty?

Why is worldbuilding in anime always so overly simple and shitty?

Attached: gundam.png (1920x975, 447K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cwBFw1k9I0Y
pastebin.com/h18M28BR
entertainment.theonion.com/novelist-has-whole-shitty-world-plotted-out-1819572899
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Go ask one piece

Because the stories are.

HEY OH!

My Brand-New Worldbuilding experiment for my DnD game became a Real Life world and i Fell into It when I Was hit by A truck!
yeah, LN titles have more effort put into them

1984 bait

Worldbuilding is severely overrated.

because anime is for kids

Why is there no 1984 LN?

isn’t this from Orwell’s 1984?

...WAAAAAIIIIT a second! That's not Gundam, that's 1984!

You're right though, Code Geass unironically makes more sense than fucking 1984 in terms of the political landscape.

Well, there is always the elephant in the room that everything written by Goldstein was fake too.

>worldbuilding
World-building is a meme buzzword used by genre fiction fans to pretend their favorite pieces of fiction have any artistic value.

Artistic value or not, doesn't change the importance of a believable world.

>everyisekaiworldisthesame.jpg

Just because Tolkien did it a hundred years ago doesn't mean every story have to have "deep lore". Fairy tales don't need multiple backstories.

Because it's merely a background to the story most of the time. Orwell didn't want to create a fictional world for people to sperg around or even create realistic international conflicts. He wanted to give you horrifying vision of totalitarian state, the other two are just to show you how extreme the propaganda goes and how much it's helped by conflicts. Oda doesn't care for politics or coherent world either, he wants to give you islands whimsical adventures, baddies to beat and sad flashbacks while building his overall story of a fight for freedom and dreams. Etc.etc. Worldbuilding is nice, but it's one of the least important things that only becomes relevant when everything else works.

code geass' worldbuilding was generally realistic
>european union that opposes BRITANNIA
>middle east was a wartorn shithole
>nobody cares about africa
>chinks were merely pretending to be docile
>australia is no man's land that only codebearers dare to tread
the weird thing was how Britannia managed to have taken over the russian steppes through some kind of trickery. oh wait it actually was magic eye powers trickery!

Attached: ALL HAIL BUUUURITANIA.jpg (1680x1050, 276K)

That's not what good world building is though.

Providing a believable world doesn't need to be explained overly long an deep. A typical film school example is the first part of Star Wars Episode IV, which drops a lot of pieces about a powerless senate, imperator, the force being a forgotten religion, clone wars and other stuff. And the audience instantly realize what the movie is about.

That explaining everything is something that often hurts stories - see what happened with Star Wars with every new movie, because fandom and companies trying to make more bucks are cancer.

And then you have isekai stories with that silly "It's like in your video games!" approach.

This is true, and there's no end in sight.

Attached: charlie-sigh2.jpg (200x210, 20K)

What next? Well written character is a meme?

It really isn't. Putting some thought into a fictional world is pretty important. It's one of the primary reasons that I can't into isekai at all.

Then again, for all we know the geopolitical landscape in 1984 could entirely be a fabrication of the state. There's really no way for either the characters or reader to actually know if geopolitical situation we're told about is real or not.

It's actually a good approach. Most isekais are really about self-inserting. So giving you the world like from the games you play helps it. Don't take me wrong, I don't like the "genre", but, again, world is just a background for the story, and we have a good fit in this example.

Most people who obsess over worldbuilding are generally wiki warriors. To them good worldbuilding is having thousands of pages of unrelated crap and trivia.

This. I will never understand people who value worldbuilding over an actually compelling story.

>>european union that opposes BRITANNIA
Britannia = America
The UK is part of the European Union
Look at the maps of the earliest episodes.

>Star Wars Episode IV
Try Blade Runner you stupid faggot.

You're both wrong. Worldbuilding may be important to a story very much so, but that's not what's happening most of the time. What fucking moon hack writers understand under worldbuilding pretty much just amounts to copy and pasting shit from all over the place. Which is the worst thing anyone could possibly do. At this point, no worldbuilding is the better choice.

This is so true. But it's also a bit unfair, since good worldbuilding looks totally different. Too bad it also requires lots of work being put into it, so shitty anime hack writers don't tend to do that.

IV is the better example of effective worldbuilding with few words.

Blade Runner builds the world without words having to be said, the only time you need it is at the start like Star Wars does it except Blade Runner did that even better than them by being concise instead of taking like 15 minutes.

Only that the original cut has Ford talking nonstop to the audience.

Well unfortunately you have to pander to retards to make a living, they fixed that though so the point stands.

Blade Runner's worldbuilding was heavier and way more integrated into the plot than Star Wars.

I really struggle with finding anything worthwhile with a lot of modern fantasy anime. It's not that I dislike all Japanese fiction that could be interpreted as fantasy, but it's just that a lot of Tolkien inspired fantasy is absolute shit.

Best examples of sci-fi movies that show instead of telling are Solaris and Stalker.

Attached: stalker-1979-005-car-on-tracks.jpg (1000x753, 84K)

Because japs don't really have a wiew of the external world, so this is how they see it.

Attached: download.png (6460x3480, 1.77M)

I'd rather the shitty no effort worldbuilding of japanese media than the "jerking off in front of your face about how deep and intricate their Tolkien doonut steel/cybershit world is" that western writers love to do while forgetting to make the characters likable.

Yeah, fantasy is especially bad. And to make it worse, they always cram any shit into it they can possibly find on wikipedia, instead of at least just focusing on some major bit and leave it at that. Roman gods, greek gods, nordic gods, christianity, tolkien bullshit, doesn't matter. Why is this allowed??

>make battle royale anime
>wastes most of the screentime with blabla worldbuilding no one cares

Attached: Re-Creators - 01 (Amazon).mkv_snapshot_19.14_[2017.04.09_06.19.44].jpg (1280x720, 149K)

>good worldbuilding

Because there are no horses but just horse girls, the kanji for horse is changed in Uma Musume - to only show "two legs".

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Uma Musume - Pretty Derby - 01 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_01.43_[2018.05.01_17.06.04].jpg (1920x1080, 167K)

wrong image

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Uma Musume - Pretty Derby - 01 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_01.49_[2018.05.01_17.06.40].jpg (1920x1080, 227K)

Let's not reply that (mutatis mutandis) the same doesn't apply to Americans. To them, East Asia is just as much a homogenous blob of kung fu fighting ninja robot technicians as Europe is Nazi-Versailles to the Japanese.

>good worldbuilding

Despite the scale and importance of Araragi's adventures increased with every novel, the story never moved away from the "frog" perspective and we never received more information and explenation than Araragi himself.

Attached: 「傷物語」熱血篇 - Kizumonogatari Nekketsu Hen v1 (1920x1080,Blu-ray,x264,5.1ch).mp4_snapsho (1920x816, 94K)

Blame is prime example of minimalistic story telling and worldbuilding.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Blame! Movie - 00 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_01.13.30_[2017.05.24_21.09.30].jpg (1920x1080, 67K)

Making a world from scratch is very hard, just look at r/worldbuilding to understand.

Because good writers in nip land is rare

Not really. Detailed world building is only interesting to a) autists because they'll do the necessary research to figure out what the author/director tried to achieve and b) teens who think having 15 or so islands after 900 chapters is a feat worth praise.

Yeah. Thats exactly where Geas borrowed it from.

Muv Luv has like the worst worldbuilding ever.

Attached: dfbe9d11709cb29e6b5552354cda3fad1459067215_full.jpg (640x360, 40K)

Because most of the time worldbuilding is just extra window dressing that doesn't really matter unless you're autistic. Not every story needs its own Silmarillion, especially when you only have twelve 20-minute episodes to work with.

Yup. Every race\cultural grouping dumbed down to a country that shares its trappings and stereotypes. Something more like this?

Attached: trappings of countries.png (6460x3820, 2.04M)

World building in fantasy anime has actually never been this bad. It's the isekai bubbles fault.

The way they use the word "overseas" speaks volumes about how they see the world.

Yeah probably, though I doubt South Africa would be blue for anyone except /pol/tards.

Glad I share board with retards like you. I also like putting zero thought into fiction I consume because "fuck world building I'm a manchild who likes projecting what other people think". Detailed world building is not "15 islands after 900 chapters", it's putting thoughts into what you're creating and making a somewhat original world with dilemmas that go beyond "bad guy try to destroy world, good guy stop it". I'm not saying that all Japanese fiction is bad, just that isekai are often devoid of any kind of decent world building.

Only autist care about worldbuilding in anime

Dragon Quest ruined Japanese fantasy settings and the less influence a series takes from it the better

World building isn't something that makes a work good. It's merely something that can add to your fascination of it. It's that simple. If the works goal is to entertain, then there's no point in investing noteworthy amounts of time into building the world. Whether I like worldbuilding or not is irrelevant. What matters are the average consumers priorities.

>What matters are the average consumers priorities.
That's sadly the case and the average consumer is an idiot, which explains Marvel's popularity.

No, you're just autistic.

And you're an idiot. Glad we're even now.

Nuanced world-building is tedious and requires a lot of research.
If you want to produce a LN/manga/anime it's a lot quicker and easier to either ape your predecessors or play fast and loose.

That's really not too far off, in terms of broad power blocs. There's the US/Anglo alliance, and their hegemony over the poors. There's a notable divide between eastern and western Europe. China and India are too populous and too useful to other parties to ever lose their sovereignty. Japan ought to be wrapped up into the US/Anglo bloc, but it's conceivable that they could reassert de-facto independence. An independent Japan is preferable to Japan-under-China to all power blocs save China.
The only points of contention are Israel being in the Western European bloc instead of the Anglo bloc, and specific border lines. But the only border that seems especially egregious is China's; the jungles and mountains of Indo-China make for rough terrain and there's more cultural cohesion between those stats and India than with China. Despite being communist and sharing a lot of culture, Vietnam isn't exactly pro-China because they still remember being bullied by the various Chinese emperor's.

>make thousand different enemy types
>the only relevant enemy is a stupidetly OP enemy

Watch better anime

Story:Guy kills dragon

Country story takes place is the kingdom of Azuna, Azun is landlocked and has three kingdoms bordering it so you only develop those three kingdoms while the rest of the world is not a single shit given. Azun is a kingdom but its not medieval european instead each kingdom its its own unique country rather than YE OLDE GENERIC shit.

Good worldbuilding takes a lot of time and resources to do just for what's ultimately window dressing in a series. It's not worth it in your average anime. A long-running weekly series, it would be, but mangaka don't have the time for it.

I love how often the OP gets quoted but no new IP.

That also only happens with "only idiots care about wold-building" hot takes.

>its own unique country
Not a thing, brianlet. Nothing you come up with is original or new. It's all been beaten to death already. So why bother trying to make something unique, when said uniqueness would require copious amounts of work and the only people who'd truly care would be some random ass otaku/nerds. It's not cost-efficient in the slightest. The only way you'll be able to pull this off is by being broadly educated and smart, and even then chances are nobody ever explores all the different layers of your work because of the most inane reasons (e.g. call it a knock-off, don't like the characters, it was too niche so noone saw it etc.)

I'll write your reply while I'm at it:
>muh dynamic IP samefagg

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 4.58.53 PM.png (448x683, 127K)

The joke is that the LNs with the worst worldbuilding also are the ones with the the long and bad worldbuilding chapters.

Yeah

I'm sad latin american civilizations didn't survive, the world would be a much more interesting place if they had and we had a whole third equivalent to the West and East as a result.

Imagine if instead of being a bastarized version of Spain, Mexico and Peru were like Japan and still retained their Aztec/Inca culture just modernized and still used it for shit.

Attached: 800px-Paradise_Village_Puerto_Vallarta.jpg (800x1000, 247K)

>just for what's ultimately window dressing
If that's the case your story doesn't need that world building and in fact is better off without it.
World building is needed, when characters (inter-)act with that world, at which point it's no longer just decoration.

The World at Large of 1984 was meant to be vague and almost nonsensical. it was part of the whol lack of information and truth that the rest of the story was about.
Oceania could literally just be Britain and there'd be no way of saying otherwise.

That's what overseas means. Isle of Man is consdered an overseas territory and its in the same archipelago.
It's anime, some of them even lump Lesotho and eSwatini off with South Africa. Some may have the Iberian countries lumped with Central and South America. Others lump Georgia in with ye olde euroope.
South East Asia is'nt like China nor like India, is it its own culture.

I'm glad that stuff is gone. Those dudes worshipped demons and live ritual human sacrifice. They were savages.

>hose dudes worshipped demons
Fuck off christkek, you think everyone worships demons.

Because eurasians didn't have tons of religiously motivated killings, right?

Totally weren't centuries of religious holy wars and genocides or anything.

As brutal as their culture was, it's not like they were the exception of their time.

Well, let's see what the Bible (The Word of God) has to say on the matter. Oh, what do you know? That which is not of Christ is of Satan.

youtube.com/watch?v=cwBFw1k9I0Y

Theres still a lot of traditions and food from the mayans and aztecs in mexico

The British Royal family controls the Americas, actual Britain is a Napoleonic EU puppet government.
The actual lore for code geass starts when the thirteen colonies get dabbed on by Brits, then Napoleon conquers Europe and the British royal family are exiled to the Americas. Until the 20th century most of the America's asides from historical British territories were independent.

>Earth
>"world building"
first red flag right there.

Oh and I forgot the catalyst for all this is that Elizabeth actually had a son and the tudors lived and made the British even more powerful in this timeline (even though they lost to Napoleon)

>character supposedly lives in this fantasy world
>his friends openly explains everything about the world as if he’s never seen it

It’s like going to a McDonalds with your college buddy and he starts telling you how McDonalds is a fast food place and that there are many other places like it, and then they walk you through how the drive-thru works

I don't think the west or even the middle east/east asia were killing their own people as part of their religion

And napoleon just ignores america? What?

I thought it was pretty good. I'm VN only.
I just wish there was more American perspective.

Attached: 1404537759907.jpg (795x599, 73K)

>Muv Luv
>good worldbuilding

Have some dignity, user.

They were using a map from a story set on Earth to demonstrate how ridiculous the worldbuilding in fantasy is.

Napoleon got cucked after uniting europe by actual democratic forces who didn't give a shit about the royals in the Americas

Makes me sad that we don't have more D&D clones.

Attached: lodoss-9.png (955x717, 306K)

>always
HXH, OP, Naruto, kaberneri of Iron Fortress, KnY, just to name a few, all have great world building

Goblin Slayer?

>South East Asia is'nt like China nor like India, is it its own culture.
They can be like China and India and still be their own thing. Japan and Korea are like China, owing a great deal of their cultural heritage to the Chinese, but they're still separate cultures.
Indo-China is rather similar. Buddhism and even Hindu elements are visibly pronounced in the region. Various Chinese emperors would march south to impose tributary status with all the implied cultural exchange wrapped up therein. The similarities are real, and have real effects. China and India are both vying against one another to exert soft power control over the region by emphasizing these cultural similarities.
Would you suggest that there isn't something of a cultural gradient in Western Europe from Spain, through France, into Italy? Or that Poland doesn't share cultural heritage with Germany to the West and Russia to the East?

The beta are a fascinating with different types bringing unique tactical challenges. The story leans hard on constant technological advancement propping the world's survival up. The nation vs world argument was overdone but the alternative iv vs v conflict was interesting. Unit 0 was dumb sure. However I really liked the dimension hopping plot.
You're welcome to change my mind, I did read it seven years ago.

>those giant shoulderpads
seems like more of a WoW inspiration, looking back

Hold on a second, is this a 1984 reference?

>still retained their Aztec/Inca culture
>just modernized
"Just modernized" basically means copying white people. I don't think that's as interesting as you make it out to be. When I look at somewhere, like, Southeast Asia and it looks like this third-world shithole, but they're wearing Western clothes and they have computers and shit, sitting inside their rickety huts waiting for a flood to destroy them, it looks really, really odd to me. I don't like it. It'd be like if aliens descended on Earth and sold us all these futuristic gadgets. It'd feel cheap, like we didn't deserve it, and now we're monkeys running around with guns.

That's not true. "Window dressing" helps make the window feel like it's taken care of by someone. the ting about world building is it makes the world feel believable. Even One Piece, which is lauded as having great world building, doesn't feel believable 90% of the time. I don't understand how you can say it'd be better off without it. Don't tell me you saw Luffy reach Sabaody and you didn't roll your eyes at the idea of there being a dozen other pirates on the island around his skill level supposedly just as notorious as him. What government island did Hawkins destroy? How many Shichibukai have Kidd taken down? It's such a joke. The world only exists because of Luffy 90% of the time. All those Supernovas have now been sucked into the Yonkou arc, too, because God forbid they do something on their own like a real person would.

Anime has so little world building that retards here don't even seem to understand that it's more than just geography or that you can have world building without boring info dumps.

Anime where the world building is an alternate timeline that splits off in the 1490's when the Spanish colonizers, seeing that the Tainos were dying off by diseases, decide to go back and have an alchemist invent vaccines to cure them.

So, America gets explored but does'nt get colonized. It advances naturally. The countries that were already there, annex territory a la Russia.

The year is now 1600 and there are these countries in America: Inuit, Iroquois, Taino, Mexica\Aztec, Maya, and Inca\Quechua.

Mexica and Quechua quickly become influential world powers and industrialize. This means they now are (two of) the leading popculture countries.This creates three leading modern popculture spheres: one in the Americas, one in Europe\Middle East\South Asia, and one in East Asia\Southeast Asia\Turkic -stan's. Competitions are made between the three spheres.

Including competitions over comics\cartoon franchises. MC is an up-and-coming comics artist from Mexica. She has created a new comic and is entering it in the competition. She is rivalled by other Mexicans and Quechuas. Eventually she wins and she gets in competition with a frenchie and a jap. She wins that competition too, and the comic gets published.

The second series is about said comic getting turned into a cartoon and then a live action show.

Yea, Orwell is a fucking hack.

>"Just modernized" basically means copying white people

Perhaps, though I imagine that in a situatipon where precolumbian civiliations survive and never get colionized by europeans, european culture itself doesn't become the sole globally domiant force and you see motre cultural diversity in general.

>When I look at somewhere, like, Southeast Asia and it looks like this third-world shithole, but they're wearing Western clothes and they have computers and shit, sitting inside their rickety huts waiting for a flood to destroy them, it looks really, really odd to me

Does Japan look odd to you, with a mix of western modernism with traditional japanese shrines, temples, etc? Or is that better since japanese stuff is more refined/complex? because if so then that wouldn't be a problem, pic related are examples of two upper class Aztec homes, for example. They didn't live in huts, though obviously as in europe/asia commoner residences would seem pretty deplorable by modern standards. They had philsophers, poets, etc too.

Attached: Aztec noble homes, from Reed 1 Year, museum catalog book on the work of Scott and Stuart Gentling.jp (2546x2926, 3.51M)

Meant For

This is ignoring America was divided with several colonial parts, such as Louisiana was French, then Spanish, then French and then sold to the USA.

And there is Mexico and Central and South America, hell the Portuguese royal family run to Brazil because of the Napoleonic invasion, the French and Indian War was just about 40-50 years ago.

They simply slapped the British in the USA ignoring HOW the US became such a global power that was due to wave of immigrates from Europe trying to get a better living, something that wouldnt happen under HAIL BRITANIA.

Its as bad world building, in fact should I go over the Chinese were they ended up with a bizaro mix of communism and feudalism?

Not as a part of their religion, but as a regular occurrence the Spanish even despite the diseases still killed millions of people in the new world in their conquest and as a part of their rule. With that said many thousands were still killed in burnings for reasons that seem nonsensical in modern eyes. I do agree that the new world civilizations were pretty bad, but the fact that many natives helped the Spanish taking down the Aztec shows that many new worlders even saw Aztec as being too brutal. The fact is just that people in pre-modern times were pretty barbaric all over the world, religion or not.

You were absolutely killed by your own peers for not conforming to religious standards in europe and the middle east, not to mention killing OTHER people for their religion.

> many new worlders even saw Aztec as being too brutal

This is a meme and a misunderstanding.

The Aztec empire didn't actively govern the cities it conquered, virtually no Mesoamerican empires did, as no beasts of burden meant the logistics of doing so was not worth it. So larger political entities cemented their authority via indirect means. When you either got conquered by the Aztec or willingly joined them, you just had a tributary burden of a certain amount of economic goods (see pic) annually along with stuff like helping on military campaigns, etc. If you did that, you got left alone: You kept your ruler, laws, customs, etc. '

They didn't demand people as sacrifices or slaves for tribute, doing so wouldn't make sense either given the reasoning behind Aztec's higher levels of sacrifices (and even then it's not as high as people think, more like dozens to hundreds a year, not thousands to tens of thousands, see ) compared to other civilizations in the region (they all did it to some degree and wouldn't have found the practice unusual anyways) as their mass sacrifices were all specifically of enemy soldiers captured in battles (in that respect it's not really any different from normal war casualities), not civllians. The infamous Flower Wars are also misunderstood, as I explain here: If you are wondering why conquered cities sided with the Spanish then if sacrifice wasn't being forced on them, and they weren't subject to oppressive rule, it has to do with geopolitical opportunism, which I talk about for 8 paragraphs here: pastebin.com/h18M28BR and the fact that the spanish's bigger allies weren';t just aztec controlled but were in the process of actively being invaded.

Attached: Codex_Mendoza_folio_46r.jpg (2581x3673, 863K)

East Asia and South East Asia are both Eastern and thus similiar, but they're also separate things. Like Europe+Middle East+South Asia, they're all Western, but they're also separate from each other. Or even Africa with Bantu VS "Niger-Congo A" VS Horners.
Different versions of the same thing.

There are many European cities that are really dirty and people park on their driveways.

Yeah, they're already similiar to some European stuff.

Maybe the royal family just sends all the super smart people there?

The mayans and aztecs could have ruled the world if they didn't get wiped out by plagues and went full japan and rapidly modernized by following in the steps of europe

The sp*nish are truly the worst savages of all

>This is a meme and a misunderstanding.
This might be true. I just saw a couple of lectures and youtube videos on the matter because I found them fascinating. I know about the self-governing part, but obviously it's still unethical by modern eyes to treat prisoners of war as offerings. I won't say that they are any worse than other countries at the time, just that by moderns standards they were pretty brutal.

>it has to do with geopolitical opportunism
That was the case in the rest of the world, so it doesn't surprise me.

Respectably autistic as always user

The point is the US was build by European immigrants were the same situation would not happen in case it remained in British hands, at best they would turn out like Canada.
Also instead of just limiting it to USA-Canada they just had to put THE WHOLE CONTINENT under HAIL BRITANNIA, its not as if Mexico wasnt a thing at that point.

I suppose what pisses me off is they love to make those huge empires as if taking over a entire country isnt a hell of a problem, one that most try to avoid (even Japan created Manchukuo) because local populations cannot simply be absorbed and usually create a hell of a rackus, this is why European borders remind roughly the same for over a millennium or so and why the United Kingdom exists instead of just England. But no ... lets have a HUGE BLOB OF CONTINUOUS CULTURAL HEGEMONY!

Most anime focus more on the characters and their internal problems, besides worldbuilding is only really useful for platforms like video games and lengthy books.

people here don't read user.

still better then Japanese "writers".

Why are you typing like an idiot?

Do note that Code Geass involves magic powers and that, the divergence from real life, forgetting where this was stated, was that pink-colored rocks were discovered to provide energy.

>KnY
You’re joking right?

>I just saw a couple of lectures and youtube videos on the matter because I found them fascinating

I have a collection of resources and links here you might be interested in then.

Also feel free to hit me up at [email protected] for any questions or anything.

Because its not the point of anime, animation is.

Because /tg/, traditional gaming is the only hobby with this big stigma about "worldbuilding", as if it somehow has any inherent value when the focus is on the plot and characters.
>One Piece
>worldbuilding
It's a giant theme park.

The truth is that worldbuilding is simply not as important as you might think. You can easily create this massive complex world with many layers of intricacies, but in the end the focus will only be on what surrounds the immediate story. You will rarely ever see the entirety that all of the fantasy World has to offer in a given media, because the entirety of the World is never the focus, what matters is seeing the World through the perspective of the characters. Worldbuilding is simply a means to an end, to help immerse the viewer/reader, not the core focus.

No one posted that isekai town picture?

Goddamn Eastern Coalition...

Attached: 1457.jpg (1920x816, 841K)

>besides worldbuilding is only really useful for platforms like video games and lengthy books.
You realize Tolkein and derivatives aren't the only novels in existence, right?

Star Trek is high level of stupidness.

here you go

Attached: 12733213344.jpg (1280x720, 203K)

Worldbuilding is pretty important but far too many people treat it as the absolute most important thing in a work.
I'm always reminded of this article in threads like these:
entertainment.theonion.com/novelist-has-whole-shitty-world-plotted-out-1819572899

That reminds me on comicfags who only accept stuff which are part of the same universe.

Please give a (YOU) so I can go to sleep.

>191556757
Here you go

Blame has crazy worldbuilding, it just isn't exposited onto the audience. It couldn't be called minimalistic at all.

>T. INGSOC

t. Retard

The fact that the map is so fucking ridiculous is meant to make you question if it's real at all, but retards like you have no ability to think beyond a few layers of meaning.

Still Dragon Quest clone + semi parody.
Dragon Quest really doomed nip creativity even Harry Potter at it peak still didn’t done much damaged at this.

Grancrest sekai (from the same author ) too bad anime was super rushed.

useful=/=necessary
Idk what you're trying to do here pal

I'm saying that worldbuilding has very very rarely ever mattered in any piece of literature that isn't directly trying to copy Tolkein. The idea that worldbuilding is a large priority in literature is a giant misconception.

Yeah, everytime I read War and Peace I was thinking why are they all speaking French... and what's the deal with that silly war. Just give me more of Pierre's dorky antics!

This. Anime's major strengths are its visuals, acting, and music. If an anime is well done, all of these things come together to create a thoroughly charming and entertaining viewing experience. People who think that anyone in this medium is aiming to create works whose strengths lie in world-building, complex characters of thought-provoking social critique or explorations of various philosophical ideas should watch, or rather, read, something that actually does any of those things well.

Attached: Haruka_consider_the_following.jpg (1468x978, 689K)

It is absolutely ridiculous to say that world building rarely matters. Do you think world building is only setting up maps or something?

Using a work of historical fiction isn't a good example for what you're trying to say. Tolstoy doesn't need to do world-building because he's putting his characters into the real world. History has done the world-building for him and unless you're an American you're familiar with the general sequence of events and the circumstances in which the story takes place without having it explained to you.

I don't read literature, but world-building is what makes Blame! GOAT.

>hating DQ inspired anime

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Mahoujin Guru Guru (2017) - 01 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_13.38_[2017.07.22_19.38.14].png (1920x1080, 2.83M)