One Piece 4kids dub

Hi Yea Forums. Never been here before.
So I used to work with 4kids on their One Piece dub, I didn't do much outside of visual edits, aside from working on how we were going to handle Skypiea/Long Ring Long Land, which never came to fruition but was worked on shortly before we lost the license.
I don't really know if this is the best place to do a Q&A about it, but I'll try to answer some questions about it for those who are curious. I don't know everything but I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

Attached: 4kids.jpg (187x269, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cJZT4CwFszg
youtube.com/watch?v=MYUdTLFAwZ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck off.

Did you have an interest in cartoons/comics/manga before you started to work there, and if so, did that interest have any influence on your decision to apply for the job?

whats it like having no soul

Not really. I knew about Pokemon because my nephew was really into it, but knew little to nothing about anime. I knew how to work programs like Adobe Photoshop or Autodesk Inferno, which is what landed me the job.
They actually handed me a few sample scenes and from some of their properties (like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh) and asked me "okay, lets see how well you work with this." The rest is history.

Yeah, a lot of people at 4Kids knew damn well about the horrible reputation we had at the time. It was something out of our hands in most cases, it was either the higher ups at the corporate level or the censors of the network telling us what we're cutting and what we're not. It was really bad with One Piece due to how violent the show was and how inconsistent Fox's censors would be with things like guns or violence. Sometimes we'd be able to get away with just changing the color of a gun or changing the impact point of an attack, and other times we'd be asked to redraw the gun to look more like a toy or just cut out scenes of intense action. It was very annoying.

Why even license those series then?

Post your old ID badge or fuck off, queerbait. Nobody gives a shit about your shitty roleplaying

i think toei forced them to take one piece in a package deal to get ultimate muscle and magical doremi

toei wanted them to do for one piece what they did for pokemon

Licensing One Piece was the biggest mistake we made, and we didn't even know it until it was too late.
If I remember correctly, we were trying to license another Toei series when they brought up One Piece, and mentioned to us how much of a hit it was in Japan. We blindly decided to license the show because we thought we could replicate that same success in America.
We had previewed a few episodes prior to licensing, but it was the stuff mainly with Arlong's storyline that we realized "Oh, well this isn't going to go well for anyone."
We really didn't want to dub One Piece after that, but had no choice.

I don't have one. I don't remember ever getting one, actually.
I think I have a proof of employment letter somewhere in my email from years ago, as I needed it at some point moving. I'll dig around for it.

Found it, hope it's enough. Censored out some personal info if that's okay.

Attached: 4k_letter.png (1061x583, 39K)

What, if any influence did the Japanese Companies/People have on what you did?
Or was this an American only situation?

With One Piece in specific, it was just American companies.

did toei give any feedback into the edits at all

cool

How did y'all cook up this bright idea?
youtube.com/watch?v=cJZT4CwFszg

>If I remember correctly, we were trying to license another Toei series
On the off chance you're real, do you know which series it was? It's something that people still argue about whenever it comes up.

Curious about what? You are part of the reason One Piece failed horribly. You butchered and bastardized a work of art.

>You are part of the reason One Piece failed horribly.
One Piece anime would have never been a hit even if they left it uncensored. It's an acquired taste for everyone outside Japan

youtube.com/watch?v=MYUdTLFAwZ4
What was the point of these bizarre English text edits/removals from the original footage?

Attached: 1534230041079.png (1292x486, 655K)

>Licensing One Piece was the biggest mistake we made, and we didn't even know it until it was too late.
>If I remember correctly, we were trying to license another Toei series when they brought up One Piece, and mentioned to us how much of a hit it was in Japan. We blindly decided to license the show because we thought we could replicate that same success in America.
>We had previewed a few episodes prior to licensing, but it was the stuff mainly with Arlong's storyline that we realized "Oh, well this isn't going to go well for anyone."
>We really didn't want to dub One Piece after that, but had no choice.
I don't trust this at all, since it's pretty much exactly what Mark Kirk said when interviewed a decade ago, right down to not remembering which "other series" 4kids was trying to get from Toei.

Can you upload that 4kids emblem in the corner to imgur? I'd like to examine it.

Any licenses that were under consideration but never happened?

Was probably Ojamajo DoReMi.

What was the process with music for the show? I know you guys would compose entirely new scores different from the Japanese releases.

Were there ever any screenings for people from Japan? How did they go?

Some suits decided that it would alienate kids who were too young to read and also forward planning on localizing into other languages

What the hell is this? And how does this work?

Attached: bonk gun.jpg (512x384, 31K)

Do you still have any production assets? Might be neat to share if you can.

It gets slammed unjustly. One Piece is for small children

Do you still follow One Piece?

Die nigger, go to r/onepiece im sure they will suck your dick off and make videos about you, fucking faggit.

They got paid for each edit

I doubt it was exactly like it. They probably had a salaried editing department that needed to consistently justify the size of their department, though.

I think those English text edits in Sonic X was actually something TMS themselves did.

Did you ever get to chat with any of the voice actors? I’m really curious about what Marc Diraison is like since he’s done so little anime work despite how excellent he is.