How do isekais usually end?

I just realized I can't remember reading any isekai to the end. Usually I'm baited into isekai through the anime, then read the manga (if there is one) and a few chapters of the LN. Most of the time I get bored and never finish reading through everything, but even when I do try to read through everything, the story is ongoing and the author seems to keep going just because he himself doesn't know how to finish it.

So, how do isekais usually end?

Attached: confused-looking-anime-girls-with-interrogation-marks-on-their-heads-2558113.png (500x646, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.jp/復讐を希う最強勇者は、闇の力で殲滅無双する-2-JUMP-j-BOOKS/dp/4087040224
twitter.com/AnonBabble

mass bulletmen transformation

They end with the author deservedly getting cancer.

They never end, the author just goes on hiatus forever

Attached: SataniaFood.jpg (531x531, 198K)

With the plot having only slightly advanced on a minor ending that hints at things to come in the next season.

Isekai in general are boring past the initial novelty of whatever way they're using to introduce the concept.
There's this is issue with writers that once they find something that is actually giving them money and notice they will keep hammering it until it's so dry and boring it loses any kind of charm.
Most chink novels also suffers from this, thousands of chapters that could be cut to 1/10, but they get payed by the word so...

I liked the original ending of Shield Hero where Naofumi just fucked off back to Japan with his coon wife, all isekai should just end like that

"What year is this?"

I thought the original end was a bad end though ?

Its a bad end for the isekai world, but Naofumi himself is ok because the shield was a bro and just transported him back to his original world along with Raph

With 5 wives, some unnamed kids and a dog who is actually a divine beast.

Axed, most of the time.

Attached: axe_victom.jpg (1382x952, 437K)

I can count the number of isekai I've read to their conclusion in one hand, and one of them was a meme with only 2 chapters.
The one that ended decently was where the protagonist gave up her OP powers and split her soul to live her life as a normal person while the OP part of her kept doing her own thing.
The one that ended less decently had the protagonist having explicit sex with a loli in the last chapter then the author deleted the novel off syosetu afterwards.

And rather unspectacular too, due to the axe.

Attached: axed_2.jpg (844x1200, 584K)

Either they fucking don't or you get some "And the adventure continues!" bullshit

Usually added with and end hooks/stingers too that will never be tackled anyway.

Attached: axed_3.jpg (1500x2126, 614K)

most authors don't write isekai with an ending in mind. only axe-kun can force a conclusion

>"Look forward into the author's next work!"
>is never heard of again after that

Attached: axed_4.png (1070x1600, 1.02M)

they should end with the protagnonist returning home, but they never do anymore cause they're intended to continue running forever so writer can make a living

old series like Escaflowne,and Magical Knight Rayearth end with returning home don't they? Also Tactics Advance does the same.

Didn't Rayearth end with the redhead staying in the world as a guardian or something

Really liked mushoku tensei for that closure we got on rudi's story.

>look forward to the author's next work
>author literally went out in a blaze of glory burning every bridge between him and another publication in the industry when he got told he was being axed

Attached: cleanerman.jpg (1574x4531, 984K)

maybe it just never got translated by anyone

Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria was a notable exception, because the anime actually had a proper ending. Not that it's anything special, but I remember it because of that.
MC goes back home, picks up his GF, and goes back to the isekai world to live there for good.

There's many accounts so here's how it goes:
1a. Everyone dies and naofumi returnns to his world alone
1b. Naofumi returns to his world with raphtalia
2. Extending 1b, naofumi and raphtalia go back to the other world to save it. Raphtalia stayed behind a bit before arriving in the other world to drag motoyasu out of the loops he got himself into. But the experience traumatized raphtalia ala subaru from re:zero. In the process to getting to the other world they had transcended and now they go around killing other "gods" that dod the same shit the bitch goddess did. They also had left mortal fragments of themselves in the other world and naofumi's world before departing.

Then again this is in the WN so who knows how it might end in the LN.

it depends, some Isekai use their initial premise as the sole hook of the shook, others try to bypass the initial summoning entirely just to get on with the series, the best ones like Grimgar keep that initial premise but keep parts of it a mystery and gradually reveal it as it goes on.

>How do isekais usually end

Long after they should

>axe isekai
I Was Reincarnated As A Magical Axe, And I Cut Down Any Isekai MCs I Cross Paths Against!

Attached: niku.png (1088x856, 664K)

The Twelve Kingdoms was a very good isekai.

Lets say the isekai is being written by someone halfway competent. What's the best way to end?
>MC wants to stay, and can (happy)
>MC wants to stay, but can't (sad or bittersweet)
>MC wants to return, and can (happy or bittersweet)
>MC wants to return, but can't (tragic)

I used to watch it on tv and it put me to sleep most of the time, I also recall it having kind of a non ending

Youko had one of the best character journeys I've seen in any anime.

Every single time. What's authors obsessions with making divine wolves into the MC's pet?

MC has reasons to stay and go, but ultimately chooses to stay because the world and people we met along the way are the people we actually care about.

I'm quite partial to return and can. Having the MC learn from his experience in another world and improve his shitty life IRL feels right and totally not-preachy. Anyone he meets can either come with him or fuck off

Any of those can work if competently written.

And not necessarily with the specified mood, e.g. Now and Then, Here and There features 1 and 3 but it's most definitely not a happy ending.

Wagon-kun running him over.

>if competently written
We're talking about isekai, though.

>Get reccomended an isekai novel by a friend
>Read it all and want to discuss it
>He barely has anything to say about it or is never around to

>muh return
What about dead MCs or non human MCs? What is dad sword suppose to do after going back?

>MCs want to go but can’t
Then
>MCs want to go and do
But
>good isekai beings come with them and together they must stop the bad isekai beings from taking over the earth
But then
>MCs and good isekai beings go back to the isekaiverse to put a stop to the source of the evil
Finally
>The MCs and the good isekai beings must part to their respective worlds, having saved both of them from annihilation in a bittersweet goodbye

Attached: F689BE56-A460-4148-ACAF-317212DD5371.png (1056x1080, 1.86M)

what novel?

There are works like The Subtle Knife or the aforementioned NatHaT that fit the definition, there's no reason why a modern LN/manga/anime cannot have the same level of writing.

Attached: Russian isekai.jpg (570x898, 565K)

MC loses everything and ends up as a broken hermit.

Zero no tsukiamas author didn't deserve to die of cancer though.

All portal fantasies end by returning home.
That's the whole point of the plot. Do the thing so they can go home.

Sometimes it subverted when the characters discover they're just mental copies of the players and have to accept their life living in the database. database. Just living in the database. Whoa oh.

Problem with isekai is that they're written by nips, and they objectively can't write decent endings.

I like the ones that don't care about going back or can't go back and don't want to anyway.

>don't care about going back or can't go back and don't want to anyway
Literally every single wish fulfillment isekai there is.

There's a lot of ones where the MC gets a harem but still wants to go back to muh Japan

>Raul the Absolute boy diddler Madman

Attached: didd.png (1125x1600, 927K)

There's that classroom isekai by the shieldbro author where the MC gets a teleport power that also lets him go to japan but he feels like shit because reality changed so he's the only student of his class and his other classmates never existed and back in the other world shit's going lord of the flies real fast.

>1
Alice in Wonderland ended with her going home and wondering how real her journey really was.
>2
Spirited Away ended with Sen having learned valuable life lessons and how much her loved ones mean to her.
>3
Familiar of Zero ended with the the MC choosing to stay with his love interest and marry her.
>4
The Odyssey ended with Odysseus being so dramatically changed by his hardships that once he finally got home he ended up causing nothing but problems for those around him.

4 different endings to 4 different Isekai. Compare the similarities between the Isekai you want to know more about and the ones I've listed. They'll probably get similar endings to the one they share the most in common with.

>MC wins but gets sent to another isekai dimension as a result

Attached: consider.jpg (376x369, 38K)

Same here. Hence why I like it so much and the author knew exactly what to do with the story unlike in say Hachinan where its author wrote himself into a corner.

i hope he adopts the kobold or at least gives it a painless death.

>MC gets isekai'd once again to a highschool isekai world with other isekai MCs

Attached: 191.jpg (831x1024, 68K)

MC wakes up. Though that raises the question if the ending reveal is it's all a dream, are dream worlds really isekai.

Rachel's manga is out

Attached: rachel.png (953x915, 869K)

Thing like that probably happened in Yumekui Merry world a lot

I only know about Slime and Shield, and in both of those the protag becomes ultimate over-God of the multiverse.

>So, how do isekais usually end?
Aqua becomes the next demon king to rule them all and live happily ever after. The end.

Attached: aquer.png (378x332, 280K)

If we take account Gridman as a pseudo-isekai, then most of them would return. Must add though that it had a unique take on it with Akane being a sorta-villain protagonist.

MoL should finally update today.

How can people say isekai are good when so many of them have inconclusive endings? Does nobody see a problem with it?

No, the whole "get randomly transported and try to go back cliché storyline is extremely boring. This is why I prefer the Tensei (=Reincarnation) Isekai type more, because the character actually DIED on earth, they will feel less attached to their former world due to the isekai part being a more "natural" thing compared to some cosmic phenomenom or "summoning" simply dragging them and their body over.
From there things can go differently. Either they "live their new life to the fullest" until they die peacefully (Mushoku Tensei), or they transcend the mortal limitations of a human and become an immortal/god (Shield Hero / Slime).
The reason why I don't like the whole "going back to your original world armed with the experience of the other world", is that it turns the whole isekai adventure into a mere metaphor for "learning how to change your life" and substitutes life-changing encounters or self-help books or a "vacation". It's a rather lame way to end things.

I see a massive problem with it, to the point that I consistently drop series just because they drag on for too long.
I try to search for series that I either feel like they will have a conclusive ending. The ones I still read are those that I have no problem with continuing forever because they're comedic and simply popcorn-tier entertainment.

RIP

Anyone read The Merchant Princes? Halfway through book 2, and it's pretty dreary for western isekai.

>wanting the Mad Lad to have a koboldwaifu
Too bad he only has hateboners for the shitty princess. And probably little girls (male) too.

Attached: b14.png (1125x1600, 759K)

This is problem with most anime/manga/LN not just isekai.

sauce?

What about native isekai?

Are there any isekai where the MC calls out other character's on their bluffs?

Eg. In Log Horizon (West Wind Brigade) Foxgirl runs into the sage of the great lake who has clearly been engaging in inhuman experiments with the souls of adventurers. He then talks her out of immediately executing him via letting the memory loss thing slip and saying that they can't kill him because they want/need his knowledge that he is clearly never going to share with them.

Somehow this same sort of bluff/logic always convinces the other person to back off instead of pointing out that if they aren't going to spill the beans then there's no point in wasting time leaving them alive.

Whatever is most in character without being a complete doormat.

MC learns how to travel between the worlds at will

Attached: not_this_shit_again.jpg (800x450, 82K)

they don't

they wake up and it turns out everything was a dream

They got axed.

Final Fantasy X is basically an isekai, and it ends with Tidus having his fucking existence ending lmao.

Also, digimon is isekai and it usually ends with everything ending happily and peace being restored to both the digimon world and the human world.

MC dies, goes out in style.

I want the WN for this to update partly so we can one day see that happen.

Attached: 013.png (800x1138, 551K)

>MC dies to protect a world that isn't even his own
Sounds like a pretty decent way to end a series, much better than having MC go back and take everything that happened as a big motivational dream.

They played Okami

with a whimper

I mean we know ending of konosuba

-Kazuma gets all existing skills
-emotional allah akbar on demon king with explosion in dungeon
-"ye i'd like to get reincarnated into incest harem, oh shit my team will be sad, nvm ressurect me"
-gets blessing from goddes on this wonderful world
-marries darkness

The only question before us is rly how much author will bastardise his own work to milk pedophiles with megumeme and iris.

Is vol 2 out yet?

>My eyes met with a bicorn’s. It weren’t exactly hostile, but for some reason, it just scoffed as if disappointed… what was that all about?
the virgin sheddy

Are we ahead of the novel now or something?
amazon.co.jp/復讐を希う最強勇者は、闇の力で殲滅無双する-2-JUMP-j-BOOKS/dp/4087040224

Attached: file.png (354x499, 365K)

Whatever your feelings on it, at least series before the current trend had an actual plot and ending.

Attached: e17fd93c21bd2db18afaca5cc8588c0b.jpg (1024x768, 140K)

That wasn't isekai though. And an ending isn't really necessary if it goes to SoL after the plot is over.

From this thread, I guess we can conclude isekai LNs are literally crash grabbing schemes that last until there's no milk left in the cow. Is that right?

>isekais usually end
they don't. either they are abandoned or they never end

MC sweeps nine heavens and ten earths i guess