Why you guys hate CGI ?

??

Attached: ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.png (1280x720, 1.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/17cWzoMfur0?t=54
youtube.com/watch?v=1GWP6CkGA30
youtube.com/watch?v=HSBpCbZRFqs
youtube.com/watch?v=mO03NzX8d-c
youtube.com/watch?v=oYEpVXtyO_k
youtube.com/watch?v=yUO9btCkZEw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=bkIhvprU7FI
youtube.com/watch?v=Uw7jrQQK3Mc
youtu.be/d6M-V_Ps2Ss
youtube.com/watch?v=8dmvNGxYPCU
youtube.com/watch?v=ExRUN26knqQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because is trash like that season.

It's a complex issue.
Fundamentally CGI (and even 3DCG) has plenty of potential. It could be superior to cel animation in every respect.
But Japan doesn't care about raising the bar. They use digital technology near exclusively to save money, and because of this most anime is incredibly bland despite the fact they could actually advance the medium.
Cheap CGI and especially 3D looks like ass.

for example ?

as a /3/ fag I like seeing CGI like in love live or etotama. Most people when they think of CGI think of overlord and shitty character CGI. I don't think most of the CGI is bad (as the cel shaders typically look pretty good) but the core animation of characters and objects themselves just looks like shit. For example kemono friends has excellent shaders which were brilliantly done but the characters move like some high school kid animated them so people automatically call it shit instead of looking at the bigger scope

Toei's CGI is good or bad ?

Attached: VHND3043.gif (810x810, 1.4M)

>Toei
Didn't need to read the rest, it's gonna be bad.

Why do you hate Toei so much?

Attached: gaiking.jpg (2667x1500, 246K)

To be honest I was just shitposting but that genuinely looks bad.

it's good when it's a full 3DCG movie like Harlock, though 2D is still superior

Why have you stopped beating your wife?

They produce nothing but utter trash with the lowest efforts.

Most people hate poorly executed CGI. There are some occassions where CGI is good like like Houseki no Kuni and those Precure CG ED songs, but for the most part, Japan hasn't figured out CGI the same way America has and more importantly, they aren't willing to put in the budget to make it look consistently good.

when is the ost for this season coming out?

It generally doesn't blend in with 2D animation. It's fine to use occasionally but if it's used a lot it just stands out and looks stupid. I do think CGI can be developed to be better at that but there doesn't seem to be very many people who care enough to try and use it to its full potential.

I just recently watched the Houseki no Kuni anime though which is almost entirely 3D with some 2D stuff in it and I thought it worked really well. I think it could be done better still, as even in that the choppiness of the CGI sticks out (which clashes with even other 3D in it that doesn't look as choppy). I don't know what framerate 2D stuff normally runs at in anime CGI but 2D animation isn't that choppy (or at least in the same way) so the framerate needs to be raised just enough to look as smooth as 2D animation (even poor 2D animation) usually looks. The shaders could also be improved over time. But I think HnK also just really works well with the 3D because of the stuff like light flowing through their hair and stuff. I watched the Beastars PV by the same studio and it didn't look nearly as good, but I hope studio Orange keeps improving their 3D tech.

Is this an edit?

Better CGI than TOEI is only Digital Frontier, Visual Works and Graphicica

According to your standards, all the Japanese animation studios you know are all bad CGI.

Ironically for such a low budget alternative it only looks good when studios like Sunrise can pour millions into it (See: Gundam Unicorn). At the end of the day though I'd rather take cheap gook outsourced animation.

Post something actually good then and I might change my mind.

I don't defend Toei but outside of some weird moments (The CGI in Battle of Gods/Resurrection F), they are pretty much the only mainline studio that isn't dedicated to CG that can do generally decent looking CG consistently.

There are only a few animation studios that have independent production of CGI. The CGIs of most of the animation studios you know are outsourced to professional CGI studios.

In addition to the game studio, only TOEI and Sunrise have the ability to complete full CGI animations independently.

cause it looks like fucking trash and doesn't contrast well with 2D

>someone had to draw this
I just cannot believe such mediocrity can exist and have the chance to prosper.

Attached: 1563013889339.png (292x450, 85K)

In addition to the Digital Frontier, Visual Works and Graphicica games CGI studio, please say a better CGI than TOEI

Attached: 1559050485114.jpg (1200x759, 349K)

Just watched Houseki no kuni and i can say that i love CGI when done properly and because you need to add a shiton of effects that can't be done with traditional animation, no idea if anyone can do it at this point except orange but i can't wait for Beastars.

It is quite certain that Sunrise's CGI is not as good as TOEI, and other animation studios' CGI is not as good as Sunrise.

TOEI's CGI is only worse than the professional game CGI studio

Attached: commieraws-mahoutsukai-precure-the-movie-special-bd-1080p-ac3-4eb0dc10-mkv_snapshot_03-03_2017-03-07 (1920x1080, 262K)

Attached: 10073_jissekiimage4.jpg (1920x1080, 775K)

Attached: Saint Seiya.webm (640x268, 2.65M)

Remember Goblin Slayer who was made from CGI even when he was standing still?

>depth of field
>the most, pretentious, lazy and plebeian camera filter possible
>in anime

Now let's see some anime.

Decent for Pixar-shit, though.

It remind me o PS2 era God of War.

>that Firefly-esque far away handheld camera shot
I hate it

>It remind me o PS2 era God of War.
This is the CGI produced by TOEI in 2013.

I don't. I also think that 3D + VR is the way to go.
It's just happens to be cheaper to create a shitty CGI than shitty drawn anime.
youtu.be/17cWzoMfur0?t=54

Animation director Keiichi Sato of Rage of Bahamut and Inuyashiki

Looks decent but why make it like the explosions are from sfx from some shitty movie? You can literally make it as destructive as it really is but instead you make it look cheap as fuck.

The budget for this movie is not high.

CGI made by TOEI
youtube.com/watch?v=1GWP6CkGA30
youtube.com/watch?v=HSBpCbZRFqs

Not a CGI made by TOEI
youtube.com/watch?v=mO03NzX8d-c
youtube.com/watch?v=oYEpVXtyO_k

Attached: Sailor Moon.webm (640x360, 2.88M)

It looks horrible, why the fuck are they so fucking stiff?

Woah you can see Toei really put some effort with the animations and rendering.

While the other two looked like it came from a ps2 game.

Budget, as long as you are willing to invest enough money, you can have the special effects you want to have.

Orange is good at mechas though toei did great with the mazinger movies. Sunrise D.I.D. sucks.

Sanzigen and Shirogumi are also good but they need to add some fps.

Polygon sucks at anime but great with cartoons.

Why does japan need to stick with 10 fps despite being 3D anyways.

Toei Animation has an independent CGI production department
No need to rely on the CGI of the TOEI Tokusatsu department

Attached: d79fa27709c1802339922ed3f8a2333d.jpg (6000x3376, 3.79M)

Deliberately imitate 2D effects
Although I don't think 3D needs to imitate 2D

Attached: Pretty Cure.webm (640x360, 2.25M)

Imagine motion tween but with 3D, it morestiff, have more mistakes to be noticed and even more soulless

>It could be superior to cel animation in every respect

Attached: gsnk_laugh.gif (500x281, 1.99M)

>Why does japan need to stick with 10 fps despite being 3D anyways.
Because most garbage TV anime is nowhere close to being on 1s, so they're replicating that and it also means they work with leaner rendering times too.

>>It could be superior to cel animation in every respect
Yes? Cel animation was only viable during the bubble and they STILL had to cut costs with extended talking scenes animated at 3s and below.
Cool digital shit, by the way.

Low fps CGI looks much choppier than even the lower end 2D stuff though. They seem to just be imitating the low fps of 2D stuff even if 3D looks much worse at that low fps than 2D stuff. If you've seen Houseki no Kuni they have scenes where the framerate is obviously higher than normal and it looks much better, but they still stick with the lower framerate for some reason. It doesn't even need to be a full 24 or 30 fps either I imagine. I understand the cost aspect with needing to render it at higher fps but there should be some middle ground that they can afford while also not looking as choppy.

It's bad. Which makes me even angrier about the Kengan anime coming out. Why in the ever loving fuck did they have to make it CG?

Nobody hates cgi, they hate bad cgi.

>Toei
>good

TOEI animation CGI

Attached: C7C-ZRsV4AAh-B_.jpg large.jpg (2048x1444, 589K)

PS4 NARUTO game CGI poster, the actual game screen is even worse

TOEI's animation CGI is very close to PS4's game CGI

Attached: 15632217249063.jpg (1920x1080, 451K)

These are 3D imitation 2D effects

NARUTO games VS PRECURE animations

Which 3D model is better?

Attached: 1494163254-c194ab50e91a3916a335ac4f8dbbd251.jpg (4312x3040, 1.42M)

Attached: 15632217238702.jpg (1280x868, 182K)

I'm cool with CG when the studio plays to its strengths and doesn't use it as a cheap alternative to 2D animation. Stuff like Houseki no Kuni and Kimetsu no Yaiba utilize CG to do dynamic camera movements and long tracking shots that look really incredible in motion. But just using it to save money on crowd shots or to animate vehicles or whatever is lame.

Attached: compressed-607c1a11d28241ebb058ea5e062ab893.webm (852x480, 2.46M)

Because I watch anime for 2D drawings.

Attached: 15632217344428.jpg (1024x1024, 186K)

Yeah I hate CGI, I wish Madhouse did OPM second season so we would not have bad CGI

The way they cut to CG on any long shot of them walking really pisses me off in this show. Your example is great, but when they use it for an animation as simple as walking it feels really lazy.

Sunrise's animated film CGI

Attached: 15632217338214.jpg (1280x720, 164K)

The only use of CGI was the centipedes. Senior was decent and suprisingly better than Elder's. Edler looked OK in some shots and in others pretty bad here this CGI body floats above the environment, doesn't affect it at all or makes the entire background he's in cg. As for the shit metal texture that was that stupid gradient they added which wasn't there before.

Sunrise's animated film CGI

Among the Japanese animation studios, there is no better CGI than TOEI.

Attached: 15632217303821.jpg (1200x675, 180K)

I know it's Yea Forums, but it's anime Yea Forums, with a literal episode mode as if it was Yea Forums, and it's all CGI, so I think it deserves a mention at least.
youtube.com/watch?v=yUO9btCkZEw

I had problems with Unicorn's CG too though. While visually it looked fine, whenever the psychoframe shit started the action and cinematography got way more boring than the hand-drawn parts.

CGI is a tool
Don't hate a tool
Hate the person who lacks the skill to use it

Attached: tenor.gif (498x203, 1.17M)

The day the nips stop fucking with the FPS their CGI will improve drastically.

This is painful to watch. Ufo CGI is cancerous as fuck.

Hollywood movies are inseparable from CGI
It’s just that Japan’s CGI is relatively cheap.
But as long as the budget is sufficient, the effect is good.

Pre-cure but the one I will pick to play is Naruto

>muh PS2 graphics.
Create a new insult already, PS2 stuff wasn't bad enough to be an insult.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=bkIhvprU7FI

>Japanese CGI films look like sh

Attached: 1553706120203.png (500x520, 352K)

Are you sure?
This is the real game screen.

If someone uses this 3D model to make an animation
You will say that this is a shit CGI.

Precure's 3D model is ten times finer than the NARUTO game

Attached: bcae731f-3950-4d79-b609-2e20ab7fd261_1.93276ac3411d86bc2c95aa1582f1f3b7.jpg (1500x844, 179K)

My rice brothers have been using this tool far less time, than those american pigs in the west
We shall soon stand above them with our CGI
As we have done with our 2D

Attached: tenor_nope.gif (500x213, 829K)

Japan's been doing CGI cutscenes in video games for forever and has been using CGI in anime regularly since the early 00s and used it a little bit even before that. Not to mention live action film, though I don't know how much CGI is used in those in Japan.

Because it looks like shit, aesthetically. For example, the Colossal Titan's arm looks really out of place when he transforms after revealing his identity to Eren. There are other scenes where he looks like that but especially that one.

Attached: Pretty Cure.webm (640x360, 3M)

Because the 99% of time it looks like shit, hand drawn can look like shit too but only the 50% of time, also a very impotant detail that have become obvious since Neflix Saint Seiya came out, there are thing that regardless of having good CGI are simply not made to be in CGI, the new Saint Seiya now looks like a filler show from the Disney Channel when the original used to be the most brutal series on TV when it aired, it simply doesn't work, so basically, the 99% of time CGI looks like shit and the other 1% half of the times simply don't fit for the theme of the anime, hell, to give an extreme example, even when the Gantz movie was pretty damn well made the entire violence aspect was toned down to a 14pg rating, this s the proof that CGI simply doesn't go well with Anime & Manga. I didn't bother to proof read this so fuck it.

Attached: Dragon Ball.webm (640x360, 2.59M)

Yes but I have no interest at pre-cure at all.

It has nothing to do with your interest.
Good CGI and bad CGI, not idiots can distinguish
Unless you really like the dog shit CGI of the NARUTO game

Attached: f06bfac0d5ee5b36fba86e11bc5472f8_1920_KR.jpg (1920x1080, 317K)

Comparing real time and prerendered CGI is retarded.

I don't get why they insist on adding CGI parts in their movies. Its better than the first two but still just why?

Catch the progress
TOEI makes several movies and TV animations every year.
Leading to the shortage of hand-painted animators in various departments
Broly movies have invested in so many animators and can't complete all the animation scenes within the scheduled time.
Some battle scenes can only be replaced by CGI

CGI is fine when done right. However I can't imagine it working on something like Konosuba where you have exaggerated motion and facial expressions

youtu.be/d6M-V_Ps2Ss

TOEI Tokusatsu CGI

Attached: Kamen Rider.webm (640x360, 2.89M)

Because we could have been living in the puppet timeline instead.

Attached: TF7.webm (640x360, 2.89M)

Because 95% of Japanese CGI is trash.

Looks like a GTA mod

I will much more impress in this if it doesn't have too many cuts.

Because they haven't learned how to masterfully combine 3D with 2D.

There will come a time when a computer generated 2d anime looks indistinguishable from hand drawn and you fags won't know what to do because you won't be able to tell what your allowed to like and dislike.

>CG = hand drawn
Thats just supposed to be the base point, not a fucking achievement.

>not a fucking achievement.
Its an achievement because it's a fraction of the cost to produce, that's the only reason to persue it.

>CGI

Attached: 4AD32E28-D3D3-4AD2-B3CF-B9BDD4AED7CE.jpg (3464x3464, 1.15M)

>honkai impact
My nigga.
Chinks can make surprisingly good cgi animation youtube.com/watch?v=8dmvNGxYPCU

Attached: 190601-1035.gif (320x315, 746K)

CGI can be stylized. Disney just thinks people want soulless live action-esque recreations for some reason.

I think it's more an issue of people just not being able to draw some things anymore. They're not trained to draw some things. Good CGI I can't imagine is any less expensive than good looking 2D. Though even good CGI generally clashes with the 2D stuff.

There is no more powerful animation studio in this world than Disney.
Even if all the animation studios in the United States join forces, they can’t beat Disney.
Don't take Disney as an example. The CGI of many animation studios in the US is not very good.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars CGI is no better than TOEI

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

The show looks a bit weird in some places, but when it looks good, it looks really good.
Overall, the quality of the animation is not bad at all.

The fuck is going on in that webm?
Did the Sailors die?

>Disney just thinks people want soulless live action-esque recreations for some reason.
Because the first time they did it made enough money.

Even if they did, Usagi can just revive them

Anime CGI needs to stop trying to look like anime

Attached: 1562812357507.png (1919x822, 1.91M)

that

Nothing better than cool shit drawn by animators.

>full CG with high budget made by a company that knows what it is doing, like Square Enix or Pixar: perfectly fine

>low budget CG made by people who only want to save money, have no experience with it and add stuff like forced reduced framerate: goodbye, cruel world

Attached: mokou goodbye.jpg (432x529, 146K)

That has nothing to do with the cg, disney is just retarded with the remakes in general.
Case in point, they're already gutting everything fun and good about 1993 Mulan to make a movie that's identical to a Mulan movie that china already made in 2009.

What really confuses me is that instead of doing a stylized 3d/2d hybrid for Lion King they just went full realism. It's almost impossible to have the same character acting with an actual fucking lion compared to a cartoon lion.

They made Paperman and have yet to push a project with that style despite it being the best thing disney studios (not pixar) has put out in the past like 10 years

Attached: giphy.gif (700x394, 1.19M)

>good CG actually costs a ton of money and requires both skills and completely different technology to even create
>most CG in anime is only used for the purpose of saving money

It literally can not look good if the company is only using it to save some money. The only companies who produce good CG are the ones who are fully specialized in that field or have the money to hire another company to do the work for them and don't do shit like reducing the framerate because that will totally make it look like an anime.

This is the only one
youtube.com/watch?v=ExRUN26knqQ

Because paperman would have cheaper if it was either entirely 3d or entirely 2d. The mix offers few benefits.

Old Disney looks better than anything Japan produces. Too bad 2D Disney is dead.

Because it looks awful.

KINO

you are a faggot

You are blind.

what a minute, there's a fully cgi Precure movie!? when was this and what's it called!?

>Lupin the 3rd The First
They really couldn't have named the movie anything else?

Attached: pumpkins.webm (1280x720, 2.94M)

>Why you guys hate CGI ?

Attached: overlord season 3.gif (300x300, 237K)

Houseki no Kuni disagrees with you. Pixar's style was developed over decades and improved and the Japanese industry needs to do the same thing. Experiment with CGI and improve on it. Though I do think the Lupin 3D movie looks good too. The movement more often than not is what gives CGI away, though they could stand to improve on the shaders too.

Problem is Japan still can't do good 3D. Even when it comes to games, most of them are stuck a generation or two behind in terms of visuals. Japanese are very bad at adapting new technology.

Why not? GitS Innocence is like 90% CGI and it doesn't try to look real. Advent Children looks great and if you don't agree, compare it to the 2D FF7 anime and tell me that shit looks better.

>advent children looks like anime
You should learn to read

When is anime just going to be real people to save money

Attached: MT.webm (640x360, 2.92M)

>use CGI
>go 60 fps
>warp models for incredible effects

It's literally not that hard, the japs are just not inventive and suck at trying out new stuff. Even video games are bloody doing it.