Why is the church usually portrayed as evil in anime and manga?

Why is the church usually portrayed as evil in anime and manga?

Attached: 1536923248920.jpg (848x1200, 329K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I_To-cV94Bo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it is?

Euphoric neckbeards like
are the target audience.

fpbp

Most anime and manga where the church is portrayed as evil also depict a middle ages society, where the church had an absurd amount of power, and many of their higher ups were corrupt as fuck.
In a modern setting they're mostly doing exorcist shit or some kind of magic policing but they're not particularly evil.

they are

because that's the perception they've received from the protestant hegemon.

Because authors are jews

They have stuff like pic related which look like a Final Fantasy boss, no wonder they portray them as the bad guys

Attached: ton-papa-na-katarieste-vatikano-zita-pagkosmia-kentriki-trapeza-ke-pagkosmia-archi.jpg (860x484, 106K)

They are but japs and most people don’t know that it’s been corrupted by Jews and fake christians.

Cry harder. From The Crusades to pedophilia, the church is garbage tier.

Why did you mention the crusades though?

Why I want to know is why it's always based around Christianity. Why not Judaism or Islam? Or even others like Hinduism or Buddhism?

Best answer.

>crusades
>bad
>taking back something stolen from you
>bad
This is next level bike cuck

Because Japan is most familiar with Christianity.

Japan has a history with missionaries namely killing almost all of them so they instinctively paint them as evil to try and explain away past actions.

Oh, you mean like running over the Moors who agreed to joint custody of Jerusalem and had been getting along with everyone? Yeah, keep digging retard.

But the crusades also led to the greatest event possible for Catholicism the sack of Constantinople and eventual fall. Ortho scum got what they deserved. And we got the renaissance

Because The Crusades were a sham. The church coveted the wealth of the Arab tribes and got a feel good moment for recapturing Jerusalem.

Uh, Buddhism in Japan is as important as Shintoism. Neither are specifically mentioned as they are part of every day life/culture. It's no different for Western shows and Christianity.

Causality does not equal causation. It was a nice benefit, sure.

Because in Japan they don't really have the same hangups as we do about religion. Matter of fact, it would be easy to just state outright that they don't fucking get it, at all.

To them it's just some weird exotic shit from the past that doesn't really exist anymore.

I'm pretty sure western stuff always portrays the Catholic church as evil too. Because they were.

Western classic is full of that too.

Attached: connecticut.jpg (315x499, 34K)

Is that right?

youtube.com/watch?v=I_To-cV94Bo

Attached: n1lnfw4fhyax.jpg (1584x2940, 410K)

You know what else portrayed church as evil?

History.

I got 95 problems and the church is all of them.

Attached: martinluther-workshopcranachelder.jpg (800x600, 74K)

All you fucking protestants can go straight to hell.

Attached: 10good_anderson.jpg (600x360, 24K)

As sure as I am that America didn't go into Iraq to free the Iraqis. It was a nice side effect.

How's that related to Christianity and Crusades?

They do in fact.
State Shinto that come with the Meiji era until the end of WWII, even if its it really no different that Shinto it was used during the Imperial Japan to support their nationalist ideology.

why just anime
church is portrayed as evil in every medium east and west

>kill more Christians than Muslims
>taking back anything

churchcucks in charge of holy war

>why does fiction portray the church literally witchhunting?
>because they did? quite a few times in history?
>WTF why are you so anti-religious

if you don't want to be shat on for atrocities for years to come don't do them in the first place. Remember "better safe than sorry" kills millions

>Cool knights
>Cool words (Heresy, Crusade, God)
>Cool outfits
>Convenient excuse for magic powers
>Cool titles (Bishop XYZ, Father XYZ, Vicar XYZ)
>Strict dogma is easy target for MUH SUBVERSION
The church has the total package. Japan also had a weak understanding of western organized religions, so its easier for them to use a Not!Church as the bad guys. Its like us and Buddhism / Hiduism. We dont fucking understand Hinduism, hence MOLA RAM in Indiana Jones. That sort of thing

Honestly I think it's this. You know how every shonen has that obligatory evil group with ranking and a leader and magic and shit? Well the church already has that all set up for you, so you can just be lazy and skip all that worldbuilding by just making the church evil.

It's less "Japan is out to get religion" and more "Authors are too lazy so they go with the easiest route".

It’s a trope and everyone thinks it makes them deep when they inverse the roles when in reality it’s just lazy writing. One out of every ten stories that use that trope are actually justified in doing so

Attached: 1559765927615 christian ball.jpg (1080x1037, 510K)

not so funny when on the receiving end is it Merrikan?

aside from the hellsing guy no one cool ever came out of the church or has church aesthetic

>Buddhism
They are some mangas that portray Buddhism as the bad guy and corrupt, it was a horror theme but sry I can't remember the name. Read them when was just a kid.

>Christianity caused the dark ages!!11\

take a fucking history course you mongoloid
reading and writing were literally kept alive in the west after western rome fell.

Because most fantasy manga are set in an ambiguous 12-17th century medieval setting, where the church was indeed questionable?
Questionable enough that rich people could buy "indulgences" in the catholic church, and even christians thought the church was rubbish enough that the entire protestant movement was a thing?

Also, they make for easy villains to "get" without a 20 page backstory expositions on their origin. Just like evil aliens, evil other-dimension invaders, evil empire from across the mountain, evil nobles, evil gods, or evil sociopaths that enjoy killing.
You try coming up with an enemy organisation that people are willing to read through your essay to "get" without disrupting your 20page/week schedule, that your editor would okay easily without meddling with dumb "are you suuure your readers would understand this~~" horseshit.

Because it is.

He didn't said the church causes the Europe the dark age but he's right on about the church "preserving" those knowledge.

Easy and lzay way to write religious fanatics doing anything evil because their god/pope told them to or they think some group of people are demons.

They had a history of abusing military might when they had it.

Begone heretic

Crusades killed more christians rampaging through Poland and eastern europe than actual Muslims. They were massive failure

Think writers like the aesthetic of the church

Ah yes, the crusades were merely revenge for the secret anti-crusades that happened before, where middle-easterners stole the middle east from western Europeans.

>Speedreading a fucking meme
Amazing

Actually fuck it, when was Jerusalem something that belonged to westerners from fucking france.

Japanese propaganda to keep the Japanese way from the one true faith. They're been doing it for 400 years.

Yes?
Muhammad and his followers literally took control of territory that had been in Christian hands for centures.

When the church said so, please donate or you will go to hell.

Remember to report all off-topic bait /pol/-tier threads.

I don't know about the others, but witch trials are stupid, plus the girl really is a witch.
Seer priestess best girl & definitely not a witch.

Funny that Isekai out of all things got cases of a christian-like church being portrayed as having valid reasons for their actions, or even as entirely good.
>mfw I, the church's cardinal, engage my granddaughter to the dragon-slaying wizard protag

Attached: EliseEngagement.jpg (859x624, 276K)

Because most Fantasy settings are based around Europe, and Europe was mostly Christian. Jews and Muslims are boring.

Because Christian missionaries tried to get them to change their culture and beliefs

I haven't really watched many anime that depict any kind of church, and funnily enough, one of the only depictions of the church as good (or at least heroic) guys was from Hellsing. However, the page that you posted seems to reference the trials about protestants and luterans, which were definitely a thing. Torturing heretics until they wished death hard enough to make up a confession, killing people only for daring to make a reasonable argument against your practice, and supporting the horrible class system of Middle Ages, doesn't really paint them in a good light.

I thought that the Vatican was scared as fuck because the Turks were doing very well and Turkey was awfully close. Lots of bad things can be said about the Crusades, but at least they unified the peoples of Europe so they wouldn't just totally wreck each other (that kinda can be said of Christianity in general, without such an unifying factor, they would have been wrecked by Muslims or something worse).

After the Roman Empire got divided, the Catholic church had nothing to do with Jerusalem, and didn't really care for a long time.

It's not like Buddhism was invented in Japan. Also, they kinda have a romanticized idea of the converted Christians, since they were the prosecuted ones instead of the prosecutors, they inspire more historical sympathy.

>Criticizing the church for pedophilia
Do you know where you are?