Why do people think that Deku is a bad character?

Why do people think that Deku is a bad character?

Attached: main-qimg-3a393316ba586c7f08169dea02330ef5.png (602x602, 271K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mhafacebook.tumblr.com/post/183539735131/the-protagonist-is-the-character-the-story
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because he hasn't taken Uraraka behind a tree and fucked her yet

Why people hate Bakugou?

He's not bad, he's annoying

If I wanted to hear a story about some whiny faggot that cries over everything I’d just read my middle school journal.

I feel like his gimmick was given up on. In the beginning he was a super nerd who studied everything, while forming strategies to fight anyone. Now he just punches hard and when that doesn't work he finds RESOLVE and continues to punch hard and kick. I guess he has multiple quirks now but still his most interesting feature is gone.

>In the beginning he was a super nerd who studied everything, while forming strategies to fight anyone. Now he just punches hard and when that doesn't work he finds RESOLVE and continues to punch hard and kick.
Oh I get it now! The reason why people hate him is because they don't read the manga and just parade memes!

Because he is

He's an insecure little bitch.

Hes a self insert
hes too passive
likes a bully who mistreated and abused him most of his life
has to receive last minute powerups to win
too insecure
seven fucking quirks

He's bland. He pretty much has all the core aspects of a hero. The plot/characters constantly validates him. Deku is a fake underdog. His character development(if you can even call it that) is boring and predictable.

Deku beliefs as a Hero has never been challenged. His development is literally his power and less of his character.

Deku is supposed to be "smart" but he just runs into battles just like any other retard Jump protagonist.

Deku literally has things handed down to him on a silver platter. Every character sucks Ddku dick except Bakugou. Deku is honestly pushing it into self insert territory

Attached: IMG_1281.png (640x360, 205K)

see

As someone whose entire experience with MHA has been from watching the very first episode or two of the anime, his entire character is that he desperately wants to be a hero, but not an actual one. He seeks to validate his own existence by having superpowers, not because he actually just wants to help others. If he wanted to be an actual hero, he could have became a Firefighter or join the Police or something, and him being handed superpowers to him on a silver platter is actual forced bullshit.

>Supposed to be very smart
>displays slightly above average intelligence and strategies at best

>supposed to be working hard to simply gain AFO's 100% strength
>gains 6 other quirks through sheer luck/good timing/ didn't earn it

>abused wife who sticks to his abuser, Bakugo, because he's so amazing

He beat Bakugo in their first training literally by outsmarting him. In the USJ raid he developed a strategy with Mineta.

The muscular fight was just "I punch hard and win", the Chisaki fight, his biggest win yet, was just "I punch hard. There was no strategy. The Gently fight was the most thinking we've seen him do for a while, but it wasn't nearly as clever as what we saw from the start.

It's not a meme. Deku is supposedly a very smart kid, but he doesn't really fight smart lately. In the most recent Class 1-A vs 1B fight Mineta and Urakara carried the fight while Deku just had a power trip.

I think he a great character tho

>the Chisaki fight, his biggest win yet, was just "I punch hard. There was no strategy.
All throughout the fight he used the terrain in order to beat Chisaki and when that didn't work he tried to increase his power but it wasn't enough when he discovered how Eri's quirk worked he utlized her ability to rewind with the recoil of OfA injuring himself in order to go all out to knock Chisaki unconscious. Now where in that is punch harder? No seriously I want to see how you're able to pull yourself out of this situation without resorted to memes.

>The Gently fight was the most thinking we've seen him do for a while, but it wasn't nearly as clever as what we saw from the start.
What the fuck are you even talking about? In this fight he actually had to utilize his skill because he was trying to apprehend Gentle not beat him to a pulp hence the fact he was a difficult opponent to beat.

>In the most recent Class 1-A vs 1B fight Mineta and Urakara carried the fight while Deku just had a power trip.
He literally had to rely on Urakara because he couldn't use his quirk and the reason why they won WAS BECAUSE OF HIS FUCKING PLAN.

why do people complain Deku didn't earn his powers when he did more to earn them (iron man training for the summer, broke his bones with every use until he finally got used to them) than everybody else in the setting (was just born with them, powers grew as they grew so never became uncontrollable)
if thats getting things on a silver platter then than means he's competing against people who got everything on a gold platter

cynics see someone preaching "we should be kind to one another" and they start frothing at the mouth looking for reasons that person is actually shit and a hypocrite

Deku is literally just a green Naruto.

He needs to ride some cock and maybe his attitude will change

BNH is reddit

He has it too easy.
It would be better if he was put through hell like Shinji or Subaru. It would make his crybaby schtick make more sense.

>green Naruto
Not at all.

whats reddit is your seasonal moeshit cgdt shows you watch. Don't you have a bocchi thread to get back to?

People on this board are autistic.

who gives a shit if he's a crybaby? this aint a treastise on the merits of stoicism

Becuase he is huge cuck

seething
I only like Jojo and One Piece

I don't see the appeal of this show. It's so predictable and completely unoriginal. It just tries to do these "epic" moments more and more with using "this" or holding back "that".

I got bored of it after the first 5 episodes.

Or fairy tail

Because the manga has been in a state of directionless limbo since the end of the yakuza arc. Seriously there is no direction and the manga at times feels like filler.

Also he has been focusing far too much on telling the story of others instead of making it strictly about midoriya's journey to the top, which is only hurting the series as a whole

>Because the manga has been in a state of directionless limbo since the end of the yakuza arc.
This is a new one
>Also he has been focusing far too much on telling the story of others instead of making it strictly about midoriya's journey to the top,
Wasn't the last arc about his overall progression since the start of the series?

Because he completely ignores the basic trope of "Work hard to gain your power." For 10 months of training, Deku received OfA, guaranteeing that he'll end up stronger than All Might and removing any tension from the series. If that wasn't enough, he gets a bunch of other quirks with little to no foreshadowing because "strong protagonist = good protagonist." Deku gets virtually no character progression. The closest we've seen was him remembering that he has fucking feet after 200+ chapters of him fucking up his hands. He's just boring.

see

>Because he completely ignores the basic trope of "Work hard to gain your power."
>For 10 months of training

I thought you said he ignored this trope?

Attached: battered wife.jpg (800x1159, 132K)

The point I am making is it seems there is no story direction. Even naruto with all its flaws kept the story flowing forward, even if it got retarded at times.

His quirk is way too one-dimensional.
Think about it. It's a 'raw strength' type power, and that's all there is to it. For a character whose archetype is being a smart and creative fighter, super-strength is one of the worst abilities from a writing perspective, because it's so limiting. I think the author also realized this and decided to go with the o my 7 quirks.

>Even naruto with all its flaws kept the story flowing forward
Thanks for the laugh

>The point I am making is it seems there is no story direction
Well maybe if you're retarded

>Even naruto with all its flaws kept the story flowing forward
One of the biggest complaints about Part 2 was that nothing was happening for years until the manga started focusing entirely on Sasuke.

10 months of training after he was already guaranteed that successfully completing his training would give him the quirk of the most powerful hero alive. Deku is literally the anime equivalent of a rich trust fund baby. While other protags and are struggling entrepreneurs who have to work hard without a safety net, Deku is getting $750,000 business loans from his parents while everyone is praising him as a self made businessman.

I feel like thats the point
Someone who was a fan of just the easiest thing to understand from a superhero. someone who has raw strength
As deku fights more and more villains, he feels more useless while the villains just scoff at him for being that "raw strength" quirk hero cause its so easy to understand as well
Its like a meta of, you as the reader, youre figuring out that this is boring? finding out youre not a fan of this as you once were? well jee, thats almost like the manga itself growing up with you

>10 months of training after he was already guaranteed that successfully completing his training would give him the quirk of the most powerful hero alive.
But you said it ignores the trope yet Deku did work hard to gain his power

they thought he should have tried to be a hero anyway despite quirkless through rock lee-style training and using his hero nerd smarts to exploit weaknesses (basically a fusion between Noriko, Rock Lee, and Touma)

but instead he's just some quirkless loser that got a superpower from Superman

cuz he's a dick

everyone in Deku's class other than Todoroki had done fuck all training outside of playing quirkball, despite being admitted to the most prestigious of hero academies.

>Everything I disagree with is a meme
Kill yourself zoomer

A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of SEVEN QUIRKS.

Attached: 1502072465393.png (1196x669, 1.02M)

mhafacebook.tumblr.com/post/183539735131/the-protagonist-is-the-character-the-story
Deku niggers btfo

>tumblr

Attached: (you).png (1751x1300, 1.52M)

The writing is always at it's absolute worst when he's the focus

Attached: 1563232369152.jpg (740x417, 61K)

closeted faggot and insufferable to read dicksucking comments for hundreds of chapters

Already a thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

FINDS

Attached: all might finds a way.jpg (1920x2160, 381K)

>collects like 15 mines before Baku and Shoto can run even a full football field
I kinda glossed over how stupid this was.

Because Deku is a whiny little bitch.

>series is one big training arc
>it's all about MCs quest to be the next Superman
>even the villains are getting a training arcs so of course they are not all that big now
>even has "academia" in the name to tell you it's all about learning

>Yea Forums wants everyone to be badass chads
why is Yea Forums so shit at criticism?

Attached: shigaraki.jpg (1280x704, 62K)

dude everyone else is the trust fund babies whose power was their birthright, Deku is the one poor kid who found a wealthy entrapaneaur looking to retire soon that was disillusioned with all his prospective heirs who finally found an honest, hardworking kid that wouldn't squander his inheritance but use it selflessly

This is peak autism right here what's worst is

>before Baku and Shoto can run even a full football field
How do you even know its a football field in diameter?

The series has terrible obstacles for characters to overcome. How am I supposed to gauge how far they progress if the manga doesn't challenge the characters?

Basically part 2 Naruto but somehow worse

Because based mob psycho is better

Deku is more of a fan who is tying to become pro. He can earn his living working any job

I mean, in terms of the Manga? he's right, Naruto always pushed something forward from the start of the Gaara rescue arc up until the Pain arc there was always something going on, the Anime just keep padding out with fillers

>I mean, in terms of the Manga? he's right,
No he's not. There's a big section in Naruto in which nothing was happening because Naruto was still looking for Sasuke.

It's kind of a shit plot setting to develop any sort of character in.
>high school drama starring ages prepubescent to holy fakku; u look way too good for your age
>btw they all have superpowers uniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiique.
It mirrors naruto just enough for dumbf.k anons to feel comfortable getting into and following but still distant enough to satiate ur typical run-of-the-mill weaboos' desire for "new content". face it cunts, we know where the story will end up; heck, the opening monologue to every episode of the anime states it, years before the story's actual conclusion has even come to print. deku will become not so deku, through various trials and tribulations. he'll nurture and be nurtured by his best fwends, fight some tough baddies along the way, lose his sensei and feel embattled as to whether he can continue his journey without, he and his fwends won't just clash baddies with fists but with philosophy: as well as clash with each other on their own philosophys, eventually face a threat so grave it threatens the world, deku loses a friend or two, saves the day, gets the girl, reconciles his long time nemesis freind and lives happily ever after until the sequel.

>No argument

>Naruto always pushed something forward from the start of the Gaara rescue arc up until the Pain arc there was always something going on
>Naruto's biggest accomplishment during that span was learning he can cut down on his training by using kage bushin
>The plot was largely at a stand still following a MotW format

This is how I know you;re full of shit

Well from the first line
>Was able to convince Eri to rescue her

Is complete bullshit since it was Mirio that pushed Eri if anything and also

>Bakugou and Todoroki has more weaknesses

Is also horseshit because the former's weakness is never highlighted at all. Better yet I should be asking why on earth are you using an blog from tumblr as an argument?

The hate for Bakugou is dislike magnified by his retarded fanbase

>Peak autism right here
No it's a legitimate criticism. So Deku has time to slowly and carefully grab 20+ mines and stack them on top of eachother, while everyone else is in a mad dash for the finish line? It's stupid, half the students should have already crossed it considering how little time there seems to be between Deku blowing himself up (which in itself is retarded) and him getting across the finish line

>What is Completing the Rasengan
>What is Akatsuki picking off the Tailed beast until it's Naruto's turn
>What is Jiraiya's arc and his death
>What is Sage mode training
come on now
by the time it was Chapter 200
Naruto and Sasuke fought at the valley of the end, on the other hand Deku learned he could kick

>No it's a legitimate criticism
Its not really because youre making assumptions based on fuck all forgettng the fact that this is a manga about people with super powes.

>Its not really because youre making assumptions based on fuck all forgettng the fact that this is a manga about people with super powes.
So no arguments

Because those people were treated very bad by their mothers. Deku's mother love him very much and he's a nice kid.

they don't

Attached: bnha1.jpg (1494x1080, 1M)

Because in 200+ chapters he’s had zero character development.

>What is Completing the Rasengan
That goes along with training
>What is Akatsuki picking off the Tailed beast until it's Naruto's turn
That goes along with the MotW format also was largely pointless outside Garaa's arc
>What is Jiraiya's arc and his death
>What is Sage mode training
This is late Part 2 and by then not much had happened.

>by the time it was Chapter 200
>Naruto and Sasuke fought at the valley of the end

Its almost like both series has different set of pacing. Hell that example works against Naruto because that arc had a lot of sloppy writing.

>NO U

I'll take that as a concession

His trials don't feel like trials. It's as if Naruto started off as a Boruto-esque manga with sanitized exams. That's what it feels like. It's like Hori wrote the plot that can be approved by helicopter moms.

You do realize that the manga sells over 800k per volume right? Now how many votes are in that poll?

>It's as if Naruto started off as a Boruto-esque manga with sanitized exams.
What the hell foes this even mean?

>Here's some valid Criticism
>NO NO NO NO IT'S JUST A KID'S MANGA DON'T THINK TOO DEEP INTO IT
You're somehow worse than HxHtards

And this isn't true at all

You do know that for an accurate sample size of a population, you only need like 100 people?

Retard

Yes it is. Just saying ‘no’ isn’t an argument.

damn Deku btfo

>You do know that for an accurate sample size of a population
30k out of over 800k is not an accurate sample size you fucking retard.

>That goes along with the MotW format also was largely pointless outside Garaa's arc
that's called build up, there was some MotW shit but there was always something else behind the scenes going on
>Hell that example works against Naruto because that arc had a lot of sloppy writing.
Doesn't mean MHA is any better
it's been how many Chapters? and still nothing is going forward? fuck not even Naruto was this bad

>Here's some valid Criticism
Where?
Not an argument
No it isn't. You're claiming that's the case doesn't make it true or an actual argument.

Based retard who doesn’t know statistical mathematics

>fuck all forgettng the fact that this is a manga about people with super powes.
does no invalidate
>Deku has time to slowly and carefully grab 20+ mines and stack them on top of eachother, while everyone else is in a mad dash for the finish line? It's stupid, half the students should have already crossed it considering how little time there seems to be between Deku blowing himself up (which in itself is retarded) and him getting across the finish line

I'm not even that user but come on now, it's retarded Writing

Continue from my latter point, I'd argue that it's not his crybaby bundled with peserverance personality that makes him unlikable, but the subconcious association each viewer has with another 'underdog' hero story. Sure, on the surface level, he's isn't very much likable. Neither is Naruto when anyone thinks of it, but what seperates the love of the latter character with Deku is the lack of utilisation of humour and the power it holds over our perceptions of characters we like and dislike. Naruto without humour is annoying fking clown prick btw, he has a heart! With humour he's simply an arrogant goofball wronged by divine force at every turn; conviently however, only when he's not battling bad guys. With Deku following the latter's line of development and progression but the comic relief being hauled by sideshows, an inherent dislike of his character by shallow Yea Forumsnons is founded due to their subconciously set standards not being met.

>that's called build up
No its called going nowhere. The Akatsuki were largely fodder and didn;t really matter in the end since Kishi had to make up three seperate villians out of nowhere (Kabuto resurrected Madara, Obito started the Shinobi War, Kabuya then became the final anatagonist of the series) What were the Akatsuki's biggest accomplishments? Nothing. Most were fodder and one killed himself after Naruto talk no jutsu to revived his village.

>Doesn't mean MHA is any better
Why?

>and still nothing is going forward?
Let's see have indivual character arcs getting fullfilled, the mystery of OfA also becoming clearer as it becomes more and more apparent that things are happening in the current world while Deku trains compared to Naruto who didn't actually work to become hokage because he was too busy trying to get Sasuke back as the other characters watched. So much better.

>Implying fujo polls mean fucking anything

Attached: 1560218092650.jpg (1144x948, 132K)

>Deku has time to slowly and carefully grab 20+ mines and stack them on top of eachother, while everyone else is in a mad dash for the finish line? It's stupid
see
>How do you even know its a football field in diameter?

Now unless you can answer this question shut the fuck up you autistic bitch.

he's everything wrong about modern shounen MCs

Attached: shounen mc.png (1000x800, 628K)

Attached: 1444392942942.gif (383x207, 2.03M)

Because his defining features and traits are luke-warm at best. His entire thing is he has the strongest quirk, the show literally moves for him despite multiple other characters being more interesting.

He’s a generic modern main character.
Don’t really see the problem, most people who say he’s shit don’t complain about the rest of the characters with the exact same personality.

In other words, modern shounen MCs are being modelled after their own viewer base

>No argument
Kek

But I like him, he has grown a lot. He's way more confident, a great leader, progressing with his quirk at a grate rate, has faults that he's trying to overcome and he's cute as a button

Attached: 1553704631373.png (660x1080, 1.09M)

I think he's shit and I barely read any modern manga to avoid shitty MCs like him. Hell, the last battle shounen I genuinely enjoyed was Toriko and it was basically an 80's shounen released in the wrong era

user, see the guys on the right:
That's you! Except of course, you don't have a harem, or any girl that likes or hangs around you, and the only story you're the MC of is that of you're own existential dread as you sit all day in your bedroom with your story's only climax being spurred by your own right hand.

The thing that made him interesting in the beginning was stripped from him becasue WSJ has an agenda to push.

He worked best when he was stuck with 5% at best of his power and was a superhero world/quirk geek who knew about all of this cool stuff.
Like all of the superheros, and villians like atomic chainsaw.
At a certain point it stopped being a big open american comics inspired manga with a comic geek kid who had been crushed so thoroughly that his dream of being a hero as a child became a small personal delusion that he used to keep himself shielded from his horrible school life.
The training ep was fun too.

Then they dropped the fucking ball by making it all about the fucking school, the villains gallery and heroes shrinking and becoming laughable or just ridiculous and lame and no AM + Deku hero and sidekick adventures.

It was just all wasted potential.
But I don't blame hori.
WSJ has an agenda to push and a few "SURE FIRE" story beats that everyone has to follow including Hori.

Except for a notable few (Natsu, Asta, and Yuji for starters)

Actually, I don't think Naruto is funny.
Never did.
I didn't really like him because of the piss takes taken on him in a jokey way.

It's the pathos in the characters life.

Deku's pathos as a child and in the first issue is more painful and real and made more sense then Naruto's. Even now.

But there's a problem.
They ran with Naruto's problem and expanded upon it.
They simply handwaived the pain Deku felt because ME GOT POWERS NOW. That should be expanded upon.

It should also be what drives Deku to help villians and people who are on the verge of villainy because of circumstance and even their own quirk.
Of all of the people in WSJ FUCKING DEKU should be the one utilizing Talk no Jutsu.

It makes more sense FAR MORE SENSE with him being the one to talk bad guys down from the edge and helping people.
It speaks too the weakness of the safe hero society that allmight helped create.

More of that stuff where Deku helps shinto(?) and mindfreak lad. Inspiring by being a good person and building and leading heroes and ex-villians against power houses.

Not DEKU gets the greetest power and punches extra hard because of nakama power.

see

>They simply handwaived the pain Deku felt because ME GOT POWERS NOW. That should be expanded upon.
I directly tie that to my first point: the setting of the entire show is shit and doesn't give much room for impactful character development to occur. I called it in the first two fking episodes when they; set the world up, the heroes, the academy, explained midori-splice didn't have powers, an excuse to give him powers drops out of the sky, 'yay he can enter the academy cus it's in the title of the show,' 'whoops, curveball; he's too weak for it'; And then they proceed to condence 8 months of training into a barely a 20 second montage beginning with 'before' and concluding with 'after'. That's fine if it's a side-character getting a little bit of screentime in a tournament arc, but not fine for the the M fking C of the show. And no philosophical lesson or revelation at the least, to expand his training into something meaninful??? He didn't pause for the whole time and question his commitment? Bull-fking-SHIT. How do we the viewer know what he did all those months wasn't actually a cakewalk? No impact. So they do all that in that tiny space of time just to have the rest of the show set in a superhero highschool.

>Then they dropped the fucking ball by making it all about the fucking school,
look, someone got my point across earlier already

Attached: dekuck.jpg (387x628, 84K)

what are you even talking about man. deku just wanted to be like all might. pain caused from that being impossible. then he became like all might. pain gone.

there's no tragic crap to his character anymore, just hard work to actually get him to becoming a proper all might. his only real pain should be if failing to live up to that ideal. he's not a complicated character. most idealistic characters aren't.

people hate him?
he is a one dimensional character, written to be an asshole and nothing more at least until the timeskip.

>tanya lidia on 5th place
based

He's the Steven Universe of Shonen protags.

>Seething this blatantly.

>be Deku
>spend 100 chapters getting people interested
>suddenly job to bakugou in a fight you could have at least ended in a draw
>embark on an 18-month Yakuza+Gentle epic to get your groove back
>bore everyone to death because the arcs are shit and you can't stop talking about MUH BRIGHTER FUTURE
>get 6 new mystery quirks after a horrible training arc that completely buries your classmates beyond ever being relevant again
>you only got the quirks because OfA was poorly conceived vanilla strength power with boring upgrades (I can kick in an arc now! St. LOUIS SMASH)
>anyone with a brain already knows these mystery quirks will eventually help you survive a fight you would otherwise lose and die as a result of
>Literally went from a flawed spiderman-esque character to naruto the chosen one in record time

Attached: the day BnHA died.jpg (934x843, 228K)

>spend 100 chapters getting people interested
No

side character became more interesting, characters without easy combat or more interesting powers are showing up and i want to see their story, dekus story pretty much ended when he did the full cowl thing. Which maybe the author realized with the 7 quirks shit but now hes OP and has a buncha shit to asspull, unless he gets nerfed or gives powers away/loses some theres no struggle beyond
>40% isnt working, ill have to use...
>50% kick!

see

Just finished watching MHA for the first time. Two questions:

The fuck was that?
The fuck do I do now?

Because he is

He's an asshole even with Female Deku.

Attached: 11.jpg (818x558, 218K)

And yet you niggers complain about the Gentle fight, which was the first in a long time that involved Deku using tactics

Attached: 1559905995947.jpg (640x427, 58K)