Why is Japan so bad at ending their stories?

Why is Japan so bad at ending their stories?

Half the time a series finishes and it's like they just made up the ending the week it comes out.

Attached: feature-3.jpg (1031x580, 69K)

Because often times they don't get picked up for further seasons and have to end shit right then and there.

>still being mad that best gril won

Sounds like a certain massive western series that just ended

FUCK PENIS

Izana got fucking pissed on, if I ever see Nihei in real life I'll kick his teeth in.

Japanese publishing model actively encourages this. A manga or novel would drag on indefinitely as long as they remain popular, then get axed with a shitty rushed ending in 3 chapters immediately after they drop below the red line. So the author has no incentive to plan forward, foreshadow and maintain proper pacing.

You will find that a lot of fictional stories end in this way, not just japanese

kind of like darling in the franxx? Its because the manga isnt finished or is on going and they just wanted to do a 2 season thing.

Can anyone name one shounen story that has a competent ending?

Attached: 1561659926553.jpg (1579x1007, 150K)

Because they think it's about the story along the way, not the ending of the story.

Assasination classroom

No, I like Smoogie wins. But the way the series ends is just rushed no matter you look at it

Yeah right. Ass Class lived up to its nickname.

True, I think that is often the case with a poor ending. But I've also found original works that were planned out have hamfisted endings.
Consider Junji Ito: a great horror writer who consistently fucks it up at the ending.

I don't need a happy ending, I just want a satisfying conclusion. And yet Japan consistently is lacklustre in that regard

>what is FMA?

Even the manga wasn't satisfying. Obviously the series didn't end well because they didn't adapt the whole thing, but the manga didn't end well either.
It's still the most coherent Nihei story yet, but he's never wrote a good ending.

Fairy Tail unironically.

FMA is great. But it's ending is shit desu senpai. Pure shonen ending with no surprise.

>Consider Junji Ito: a great horror writer who consistently fucks it up at the ending.
I'd say it's a bit different with horror, as wrapping the story up is considerably more difficult and much more to how the reader subjectively receives the punchline. Not to mention Ito has numerically so many stories that there's bound to be shit mixed in.

And you wanted to suddenly discover that it all was a dream and Edward is actually a dream born from Nina's dying mind? What kind of unexpected ending can FMA even end with?

> so bad at ending their stories
I remember that one episode of jinrui wa suitai shimashita about manga creation that precisely answers your question

>ending is shit
Is this some sort of meme? Because even when I was younger and watched it for the first time I was surprised by how conclusive and competently made the ending was

Axes, overshooting source materials, publishers forcing the story past where it was meant to end, serialization being picked up on the pitch and premise rather than good follow-throughs.

Also, these jap writers tend to run so many series on schedule at once that they kinda just get sick of the older ones, I feel.
They'd have ideas and new characters that they can't really fit into this particular universe, and they be like "WELL FUCK IT. NEW SERIES THEN. OH MAN, I MISSED THIS FREEDOM TO ADD SHIT AND CREATE SHIT WITHOUT BREAKING CANON" and kamachi.exe or Natsume Akatsuki just goes nuts bursting out a new series while leaving the old ones to rot.
Jap weeb industry just isn't really as conducive for ending a story, unlike with their video games and VNs.

DitF is the worst and best example of this with the director and writer on record flat out saying that they never had any idea what the ending would be and thought they would figure something out as it progressed.