What is the superior form of longterm story telling, rivalry (like Naruto, BC) or mystery box (One Piece)?

What is the superior form of longterm story telling, rivalry (like Naruto, BC) or mystery box (One Piece)?

Attached: bd00f60c9d1920b847f10938028d3db8866b2baa_hq.jpg (540x667, 80K)

BC's "rivalry" seems contrived as shit

To be fair One Piece has Coby

Does he acually do anything though?The most I remember is that he befriended that spoiled kid in the marines and then they got yelled at by the dog general.

The problem is Yuno has no character

I watched the anime until they meet the king. What have I missed?

>Coby
Who?

It's not contrived, but it is shitty.

>Hey Asta, I'm gonna be the Wizard King
>NO! I'M GONNA BE THE WIZARD KING (gains power-up)
>Heh, I want lose to you (gains power-up)

Coby awakened Haki and after the time-skip he holds a captain rank.
Nowhere near Luffy's level but he is still following his own path and may clash with him later.

Splitting into parts

>(Gains the very same power up)
Ftfy

Mystery Box. No contest.
At least with a static Macguffin you don’t have to keep dragging out a contrived reason for two characters on separate paths to maintaining a childish grudge while in the middle of saving the world, nor does it exacerbate power creep with arbitrary “rematches”, nor can the Fujos make it and the main character hook up in shitty yaoi doujins, and when the protagonist finally gets the box, that’s all there is to conclude the story.
Rivals are the inferior story device in every conceivable measure.

t. Academia virgin

The guy with glasses that was introduced in the early chapters of OP, user

>Rivals are the inferior story device in every conceivable measure.
*blocks your path*

Attached: x1080-Snb.jpg (1905x1080, 270K)

>can't make a yaoi doujin with a macguffin
Where is your creativity, your imagination?

Like BC. Its the only one that really makes snese and feels real.

There's no rivalry on Black Clover tho?

It's amazing how much Black Clover has ripped off off Naruto. From the spiky-haired-bandana-wearing-demon-harbinging protagonist and his rival, to it's storytelling (ninja villages vs kingdoms,underdog backstory...)
But the biggest similarity between each franchise is definitely how shit the fanbase is.

the king fucking dying

His no character and just plot device anyway

Wait what? Isn't he the strongest dude? I remember him being kind of curious of Asta because he couldn't sense anything from him yet he was still there. How long from when Asta meets the king until the king is kill?

nice numbers

Asta met Julius pretty early on, the most recent episode was 92 which is a couple arcs later
also checked

Thar rivalry is just dogshit
Its not even a rivalry
Its one person just being the best and the other sucking his dick

>main rivalry was kind of "settled down" with Rikiishi's death.
AnJ had one of the best healthy rivalries, however, it wasn't the main focus nor the main drive of the story.

Absolutely not Yuno is horrible. Also I had his whole "What's the matter Asta? You'll fall behind me" thing. One day Asta can lose an arm and he would still tell him that.