Untitled

?

Attached: 1562997713549.jpg (640x359, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oIscL-Bjsq4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Rei a shit.

Shinji slips into his trauma and tries to kill her.
Asuka, having grown, responds with kindness instead of anger.
Shinji is shocked and, having grown himself, stops.

It's a sign the two have a chance and can still grow, a positive message like the tv series ended with - just coated in a layer of bitterness because Anno was in an angry place while making it, hence Asuka's final remark indicating how despite being better they're still nowhere near good.

intelligent people browse Yea Forums? wtf

youtube.com/watch?v=oIscL-Bjsq4

Attached: eca4dd04789e7043c1863a7072a69c28f048d523_hq.jpg (600x450, 33K)

Is this loss?

I'm sure they will get better.

Attached: Cute and canon.jpg (707x1000, 196K)

Wrong.

?

exactly

Why are they playing dress up in front of the tang beach?

Attached: 52976128_p0.jpg (743x1000, 455K)

Wrong.

Is this loss?

I'm confused, is this a happy ending or a sad ending?

Attached: f38ef56761da21e8b1fc2caef7140eef.png (572x354, 426K)

Yes

>Still doesn't know what loss is

It's not.

Any explanation to this scene is just head canon.

Does being orange juice make you happy?

It is a sad ending with a hint of optimism.

yes

I'm assuming that this is a continuation of the last thread we had on this subject, and as such I'm gonna repost something an user wrote a while ago that I thought was a cool take on this scene:

It is left to the audience to decide what Shinji and Asuka's final actions mean, what feelings led them to that strange exchange of gestures. Our understanding of their motives is imperfect, just as our understanding of all others will always be an imperfect and partial communion. Though we must seek our own answers, I personally find great humanity in these choices. They feel like a poignant reply to Shinji's earlier challenge, as his desperate cry of “I will connect with others, even if I can only cause them pain” is answered with a gentle, caring touch.

You could argue that Asuka's final declaration of “disgusting” means that none of it meant anything, and none of these characters actually changed. But growing as a person does not demand abandoning your original sense of self. Asuka has always been the pilot too proud to overtly admit her feelings, who only reveals what she really means through inference, anger, and subtle conversational games. For Asuka, that soft caress feels like an incredible emotional concession - and the following “disgusting” merely a reaffirmation of her fundamental selfhood, the selfhood she's come to love, and which saved her from the nothingness of instrumentality's end.

But that is only what that sequence means to me. The beauty of End of Evangelion is that it can mean many things to many people, that it answers copious narrative questions while still leaving many open doors. End of Evangelion offers its audience the same choice it offers its heroes, and ultimately, that choice is a reflection of its clear faith in our fundamental human nature. “I believe in you,” says Evangelion, as it opens the door to a frightening, exhilarating adult world. “You should believe in you, too.”

Attached: 1562786929160.png (534x576, 237K)

back to >>>/reddit/

>Asuka
>responds with kindness

Rewatch the scene again.
That is not the face of kindness.
That is the face of someone who is traumatized, apathetic and tired of dealing with another person's bullshit.
That's the face of someone giving up all of their integrity and self-worth to satisfy a guy's selfish desires of wanting a fuck doll that reminds him of his mommy - not a genuine person - in hopes that he won't end up killing her.
It's the face of someone who (also) doesn't care back.
The fact that she refers to Shinji's self-pity crying as "disgusting" further suggests this.

The entire ending scene is a reflection of how and why men and women both hate & objectify one another as a consequence of their inability to come to terms with their true selves.

Attached: 1456789308043.gif (500x215, 1004K)

This.

>human extinction
Sounds like a happy ending to me.

Only good answers

He should have just killed her and gone - "Well, thank goodness, that bitch is finally dead. I'm alone and in peace, just as I wanted to be. Guess I'll curl up and wait for death to take me."

This makes a lot of sense. It seems I never understood evangelion until now,

Probably rebuild continuity where the oceans were red anyway

Why would Anno want to end on that note?

Because it's a bittersweet but realistic ending that encourages the viewer to think.

This is probably just me not liking sad endings but idk it just sounds too negative

>selfish desires of wanting a fuck doll that reminds him of his mommy - not a genuine person - in hopes that he won't end up killing her.
Wait, are you confusing 02 with actual EVA? Shinji only cared about Rei as a person, not his mom.
Shit, Kaworu betrays that theory altogether.

Fucking incel

is this the new memetheory people will regurgitate like shinji checking to see if she was real?

>God says, "Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat something you weren't supposed to?" And Adam, in his wretchedness, points right at Eve, his love, his partner, his soul-mate, and snitches on her. And then he blames God. He says, "The woman, whom you gave to me, she gave it to me (and then I ate it)." How pathetic--and how accurate. The first woman made the first man self-conscious and resentful. Then the first man blamed the woman. And then the first man blamed God. This is exactly how every spurned male feels, to this day. First, he feels small, in front of the potential object of his love, after she denigrates his reproductive suitability. Then he curses God for making her so bitchy, himself so useless (if he has any sense) and Being itself so deeply flawed. Then he turns to thoughts of revenge. How thoroughly contemptible (and how utterly understandable).

This kills the Asukafag.

Attached: 1515191207950.jpg (950x1000, 133K)

Have sex

>Asuka, having grown, responds with kindness instead of anger.
You're mentally ill.

He's an Asuka nigger, what did you expect.

Better answer, that's the whole point. It's what the "AT Field" represents.
Series is 20+ years old and some people just never paid attention.

It's better than the chuuni ass theory that doesn't make any rational sense.

I still go with my theory that the 2 of them had been waiting on the beach so long for the others to come out with no success that they snapped and had a bout of insanity.

Nothing "just happens" in Eva, just like nothing "just happens" in most creation myths.

Anno actually understands judeo-christian mythology far better than most people give him credit for these days. Too many people like to carelessly dismiss all the crosses, angels/apostles, etc as just namedropping imagery, but if you actually dig deep into the real archetypes these foundational stories represent, Anno "gets it" on a serious level.

I'd be pretty apathetic considering my very recent death and apocalypse I, nor my colleague who is choking me, could prevent.
Do you think Asuka could possibly be smiling, cheerful to see Shinji again? Yes, she does care about him and his friend but it's not like their relationship isn't a total mess. Her touch is indeed kind, even if her face suggests other wise.

Attached: mpv-shot0020.jpg (720x540, 100K)

You're mentally ill.

>everyone that disagrees with me about neon genesis evangelion is mentally ill

It's the entire gamut of human interaction in 45 seconds. Shinji hurts Asuka, Asuka caresses Shinji's cheek as a show of affection/humanity, Shinji cries and Asuka is disgusted.

We all love and hate each other.

Why do people even like this shit and why do they pretend to be smart when discussing it? Jesus fuck just stop already this is really cringe

It was him trying to see if after everything he had went through if he still truly come to accept himself, whether this was the real world, the one he had chosen, not one of the thousands of alternate realities/timelines he could have built for himself. The fact that Asuka rejects him outright shows that it's real and not something that he created, where everyone loved and adored him, accepted him regardless of their own wishes. Asuka says its disgusting because it is, the fact that that was the way Shinji thought to check to see if it was real is proof enough, while on top of that, she was willing to let it happen and to show him some sort of affection while still outright rejecting his means of going about it. That they're both fundamentally broken individuals that have grown, without pushing the other one away like a hedgehog.

Jesus, not that hard guys.

Bro stop bro u just posted cringe u are going to lose subscriber

>why do they pretend to be smart when discussing it
Eva is a pretentious series that draws out the pretentious prick in all of us.

Attached: 142.jpg (447x403, 115K)

Fuck off

This theory is shittier than the alternate imo

I read that whole quote in Jordan Peterson's voice. I wondered why my brain began doing it until I realized it actually is his quote.

This time it's backed up by Asuka's lifeless expression. The others are conjecture and fulfillment headcanon.

Stop arguing and post eva feet.

Attached: Rei's feet.jpg (756x926, 131K)

Because Anno was in his misanthrope phase.

people forget asuka literally died. shinji is just some punk that said he’d grow up, and then decided it’s easier to just kill a bitch then face her after he jerked off to her comatose body. she is literally the last person he wants to see. the reason she doesn’t flinch? she’s already fucking died, she was literally eaten by alien robots, and shinji can’t even finish the job, of course she’s disgusted, but this represents a return to form for asuka, she is showing signs of her old self, and the meaning of eva is not a statement but a question - can these two look past the traumas of their lives, and the abuse they’ve suffered, at each other’s hands sometimes, and learn to grow as individuals? can you approach others, knowing they will in some way harm you and you, them?

>realistic

Anno was being a bitch so he made sure to make an ending that literally no one could decipher because it doesn't actually mean anything. Like mentioned in "leaving the audience to decide" means "lol here's your ending bro have fun figuring it out protip: you won't."

It was really kinky foreplay, they both get off on this shit.
The rest of humanity remains in the tang out of utter disgust.

So where did asuka get the bandages? Did she materialize with them after being eviscerated, tanged, and turned into a figment of shinji's brain?

Attached: 1559509096911.png (600x660, 254K)

Cringe and bluepilled
Based and redpilled

Considering she basically just came out of the soup and mindfuck that is Instrumentality I think her lifeless expression is extremely ambiguous. She could still just be completely dumbfounded as to all she had experienced before, during and in the present after Instrumentality. Your opinion is also conjecture completely based off of an assumption as to why her expression was the way it is. None of us are right.

Thematically it makes much more sense for the two of them to have reached an end of their arc or catharsis and at least accept that despite the pain and suffering they bring to each other, it is possible for them to accept and show compassion, even as Shinji is strangling her as she is the only thing in the world right now that can actually bring Shinji pain again.
It's my interpretation and I would assume Anno would rather have a bittersweet ending where the world has gone to shit and the two people left have mixed and likely negative feelings towards each other but there is still light at the end of the tunnel as opposed to just everything being complete shit with little to no hope. They can learn to grow and possibly learn to love themselves and others.
If that wasn't supposed to be implied then what was the point of the title card of 'One more Final: I need you" right before Asuka gently strokes Shinji's cheek unless it was just put in there as a joke?

They have to picture themselves in their heart to come back. This is how she pictured herself.

asukja is so cute.

EoE is all about incel rage; this fact is unavoidable

>these are the kind of morons the netflix release has inflicted on us

Shinji helps her put them on. Is retarded to think what we see in one more final is the first interaction between the two given all the evidence.

You're literally basing that entire argument off of an assumption that you know why Asuka had that facial exoression. You do realize she had it before Shinji started choking her? And she probably just recently got out of Instrumentality and still had all of the thoughts, experiences and realizations she got out of it fresh in her mind.

It actually amazes me how you call others out for interpreting a scene one way when you literally base your entire argument off of a subjective interpretation of the facial expression of Asuka.

>No bros I swear the final scene of EoE is all about the war of the sexes and how we all hurt eachother with zero positivity! It's not at all meant to match the themes of the series or provide catharsis, neither of them have gotten any better and my interpretation of her empty eyed stare after coming out of the tang is the only correct one!
Literally choke on your own tongue, mate. There's many ways to read or interpret that scene but any that directly contradict the notion of the film having literally any coherrent message at all - such as your post - are fucking retarded.

Why in God's name do you think Anno would suddenly change the meaning of everything at the end like that? Do you just want the most sad resolution possible? How do you even square stuff in that very scene like "One more Final: I need you" up in this stupid interpretation?

High IQ answer.

I just realized this is extremely elaborate bait. Seriously good job, you had me for a while

Honestly, user, I agree with you; I felt like her touch was kind. Asuka had shown during her battle with the MP-Evas that even during her death throes, she's able to muster enough willpower to fight for her life. She was able to muster enough energy to raise a hate-filled hand in defiance to her death to the MPs, even after feeling the Lance of Longinus pierce her skull and her entrails pulled out. And yet, when Shinji threatens to take away the life she just regained, she raises her hand again to her violator(s), but this time, it's out of a desire to empathize. While it was never shown what she experienced during her instrumentality-induced reality, perhaps she saw enough to learn that Shinji desired the same affection and companionship from another person that she did.

She showed Shinji an act of kindness by reaching up and touching him. And instead of reciprocating that act with kindness of his own, he goes fetal and cries for himself. After all that shit, defying god and regaining his individuality from the Red Sea of LCL, nothing has changed. Why wouldn't she disgusted? The only other person she has in this world is someone who is just a fucked up as her and is currently too broken to reciprocate her single act of kindness. Like you said, their situation is a mess solely based on the standing of their relationship, let alone the fact that the part of the world that they live on seems absolutely fucked.

Attached: yaru.jpg (1200x672, 72K)

I always saw Shinji not 'reciprocating' in this scene as more that his emotions took complete control of him after experiencing this genuine act of compassion by a woman who has given him a large amount of pain and coldness in the past. I wouldn't say that he was incapable of reciprocating at this moment, moreso he was so caught up in the moment of this act of kindness he broke down and cried.

Samefag

>reee everyone who disagrees with me is a samefag
Based Eurobros are just finally waking to to school the mutts on their shit theories.

It's a happy ending

>muh self acceptance

Fucking autistic japs, how is this even a fucking thing, literally just stop being a fucking pussy.

Great, another "lets argue about a 20 year old movie because all the Netflix kiddies are watching it for the first time" thread.

It's almost like people disagree with others when their opinions are fucking cave dwelling troglodyte tier

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-14-11-46-25-1.png (1080x378, 37K)

Hopeful but extremely bitter as well.

The possibility for healing exists but both are horribly traumatised and society as we know it is effectively dead even if some people start trickling back to reality over time.

I'm not wrong though.
Screenshots mean nothing.
>phoneposter
Of course. Are you also a summerfag?

Stay retarded mental midget
>muh phone poster
I'm in the shower fucking your mom so I can't post on my desktop atm buddy

You just graduated from the 12 year old on Xbox Live school of comedy or something?

Netflix release and yet another 6 threads per day about wtf is happening in EoE

It's an ending which has potential for either. People could either stay as tang or return to their individual selves and begin to rebuild the world with a visceral understanding of one another they've never been capable of before or they won't, or they won't learn anything and go back to their old ways. Shonjo and Asuk may have been healed somewhat by gaining a deep and fundamental understanding of one-another, maybe his violence and her caress are respectively an indication that he's willing to engage with others even if it hurts them and that she's willing to engage with others even if it shows vulnerability. Or maybe they're just still completely fucked up and he's choking her in an autistic tantrum and she truly assesses him as a something which causes her nothing but disgust. It's left deliberately ambiguous on purpose.

Attached: 1413420036660.jpg (492x479, 33K)

EoE is a very negative movie though. If anything it would be coherent.

I swear there is a happy ending if you just look at it diferently and just asumme a lot , it doen't matter that it looks bleak as hell, or that shinji took that leap of faith only to end up sad and miserable at the end, or that the world has ended, or that literally the last words are how disgusting

You fucking faggots. This is not bait. Do you niggers really think Asuka changed and will become a 'nice girl' from instrumentality? You all really think that from leaving instrumentality that you become a new person and all your problems are fixed?

Gud thred

Literally nobody implied this. Being able to offer genuine compassion is not equal to becoming a new person who has overcome all her previous trauma. Stop speed reading

Absolutely nobody has said anything like that about her. The road to recovery is long and fraught with chances to self-sabotage for any form of mental illness or teauma, and just being in a better place is nothing like being in a good one.

But you'd have to be a literal retard to think exiting Instrumentality doesn't signify that she's rejecting giving into her issues, or that her behaviour isn't proof she's grown. The entire message of Eva about human connection is contradicted if she's still the same after coming out of it. Nobody but you thinks that's meant to mean she's now a "nice girl" or her problems are fixed, it just means she's one step further along the journey towards it.

It would have been a much happier ending if it was Toji instead of Asuka DESU.

Attached: 24.jpg (699x1100, 112K)

>You all really think that from leaving instrumentality that you become a new person and all your problems are fixed?
I mean, why not? It made a lot of progress on shinji.