I thought 3DCG was supposed to look like shit?

I thought 3DCG was supposed to look like shit?

Attached: 1562993474591.jpg (1500x2117, 360K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E
youtube.com/watch?v=R6be4pLP0ug
youtube.com/watch?v=_THLrGbLUAw
nippon.com/en/currents/d00337/japan’s-animation-industry-failing-to-cultivate-next-generation-of-talent.html
scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3014682/japans-anime-industry-crisis-even-global-popularity-soars
twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/725672231494279168
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it does when it doesn't have the budget/talent

it does

It looks like the sort of CG that western studios would put out rather than the bullshit that anime studios like to peddle. It helps that there's actual budget behind this.

There are few 3DCG anime that look no worse than Pixar works.
Pic related, 2009

Attached: right01.jpg (320x530, 51K)

>How ba-a-a-a-ad can I be ... I'm just doing what comes naturally

It does.
Does this thing really look good to the rest of you guys? I legitimately don’t think it looks appealing at all.

Lupin literally has a 1-inch penis.

The quality is above-average, but the problem is the aesthetics. They didn't keep the original Lupin style which is the bread and butter of the series. They opted to appeal for a wider audience. Its got that cancerous liberal "we're all just people" where it tries not offend everyone by creating a pseudo-melting pot of racial features.

It gives off very western CGI vibes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing

Definitely prefer 2d still tho

I'm with you. Anime shouldn't try to look like pixar. They are better than that.

Same goes for Dragon Quest movie.

Attached: fugly pixar not animu.jpg (955x568, 43K)

god fucking damnit how they can mess up a Dragon Quest movie when they've been making video games with proper style for years

I wouldn't compare that to Lupin at all, that's a completely different design. No one would ever look at that and seen any connection to Bianca if you didn't tell them. Same for the MC, if you take away the signature purple turban and cape. And Pankraz. Nera is probably the closest to the original design. The monsters are all surprisingly accurate though.

Lupin at least retains the character design, though the art style isn't the exact same. And honestly it's not like the artstyle is the same across all the Lupin series anyway so I don't think it's much of a complaint.

looks fucking phenominal. reminds me of spiderverse almost. Keep the quality up japan. we need better animation from the 3D departments regardless

Not anime

technically it is because its based on lupin

This. The reason why anime 3DCG looks like shit 90% of the time is because TV anime budgets are shit and all the talent is either in vidya or cinema.

then again you saw what can be done when you give CG support like with spiderverse. that film is still what I wish animation can be like here

Attached: peni.png (673x500, 189K)

You're delusional, that looks on par with Low Budget Eurotrash.

>"CG is shit SHIT SHIIIIIIIIIIT"
>a movie about something they like is announced
>"there's literally nothing wrong with CG especially when it's done well"

Based retard

It's that the scout from TF2?

>They didn't keep the original Lupin style which is the bread and butter of the series.
Lupin's style is all over the place across every series. No Lupin series looks the same as the other. I don't think you've actually watched Lupin.

Attached: confusion.gif (384x288, 388K)

Don't play dumb, every Lupin artsyle is consistent with the medium, this crap is just a western carbon copy. The characters have no appeal.

Budget doesn't mean shit most of time. It's about talent, management, and prouduction.

Fucking look at Jimmy neutron. A series that didnt remotely had a high budget at all, but holds up due to talent

They just look like the characters in 3D. Where are you getting the bizarre "melting pot of racial features" from?

This one design wise looks nothing like Toriyama's designs, but straight up copy of Dreamworks/Pixar human designs. Evem with some of the changes to the design in the CG film it has a closer look to the Lupin franchise.

This is what /pol/ does to a person.

Maybe it will be like the Tintin movie and end up being good.

I'm hoping it'll be like this, but the story itself would need to really shine.

Attached: Lupin_green1.png (262x283, 148K)

The same problem with that Saint Seiya movie a couple of years ago.

Though to be fair Kurumada's work has a lot of same face anyway

CG always looks like shit.

I got the same vibes, so I'm super hopeful.

i should have said budget applies more to the visual fidelity, talent is definitely the most important

anime studios hire kids straight out of college with no 3D experience to do 3D animation
that's just how it works in japan
it's not surprising that the result ends up looking like shit

with modern technology you can make 3D animation that looks exactly like 2D anime, completely realistic, or anything in between

>with modern technology you can make 3D animation that looks exactly like 2D anime, completely realistic, or anything in between
Examples? I can't recall a single 3D anime that looks like 2D. If your example is Houseki no kuni or Seikai suru kado then don't bother.

>This one design wise looks nothing like Toriyama's designs
But thats a good thing

>talent
skill

After a decade or so of experience, japan is finally getting good at it.

What are you talking about? It does look like shit.

I do wonder if this trend will continue. DQ is unorthodox because it not only has a very un-Toriyama style, but it also went for a celebrity voice cast rather than JP VAs. I’m not sure what the intention is, are they hoping to make the movie more ‘mature’? Is it in a similar style as to why Disney live action remakes exist to make these old fantasy stories appealing to riajuu that only briefly recall their childhood? Lupin I can see it as a stylization choice but DQ is harder to say

I fucking hate this pixar shit so much.
Keep 3d in fucking videogames and capeshit.

is it bad if I like how the dragon quest movie looks, even though the girls look a little ayy

Toriyama=Dragon Quest white pig

You are about 2 years too late.

Attached: mpv-shot0001.jpg (1920x1080, 258K)

and Dragon Quest is trash.

3Ds been in anime for a while now get over it

lol i see you enjoy your Fornite trash

Yeah, and it's been shit

Except this 3D pixar-like animation ruins the whole medium. If western and eastern cartoons will all look all the same one day then what's the point, it's like erasing the identity of Japanese animation.

I think 3DCG effect really depends on what it's used to. I think it looks especially cool for works like Lupin.

This and the Dragon Quest movie actually look good.

Wish I could say the same about the upcoming Pokemon movie.

Attached: mewtwo-strikes-back-rita-ora-1177466-1280x0[1].jpg (1280x722, 55K)

...you forgetting the fact that budget buys talent though. With 2d animation budget only gets so far because there aren't that many good animators and on top of that most have busy schedules, so studios can only use whoever is available at the time. When it comes to 3D though you can find plenty of skilled people in Japan and the rest of the world, they just won't work in the anime industry because the pay is shit.
That being said it's perfectly possible that someone passionate about anime might want to contribute to the industry using their 3d modeling skills, but really the audience isn't very found of it and most anime studios see CG itself as a budget option they can use when a scene isn't worth the effort to draw or when they need to save time, it's hardly an ambient that cultivates talent and gets people to improve.

worked well for Doraemon

Attached: 17099689928_99425d6518_b.jpg (1024x719, 250K)

>where it tries not offend everyone by creating a pseudo-melting pot of racial features.
How do autistic people still not grasp that anime characters don't look like people at all? Like, I get that the base state of man is that when you see something undefined you try to apply label to it, but to be so simple you actually get offended by the lack of "racial features" on fictional characters with eyes that eat up most of their heads is just silly. I can't even fathom out of all the criticisms "the fictional character's are drawn creatively and don't religiously abide by my narrow perception of race: this bad.". Who looks at a cartoon and honestly cares about something so small? Of all the things to get offeneded by, lol. Dangers of stupidity I suppose.

Attached: laughter (2).gif (445x247, 2.85M)

>This girl is also spiderman!?
>Cute!

>Tfw you find some super easy sentence to feel good about your dogshit moonrune understanding

>spiderverse
can you people please stop jerking to this epileptic shit

>How do autistic people still not grasp that anime characters don't look like people at all?
Except when they do look like people(look at all the human characters in Space Cobra as an example.)

Attached: covr.jpg (1440x1080, 119K)

>I thought 3DCG was supposed to look like shit?
It looks like shit though?

>3DCG anime
>it's not anime at all
ishiggy

TV series will never achieve that level because doing it requires as much or more labor than actual 2D animation since it's pretty much stop motion animation with 3D models.
youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Attached: kuradoberi.webm (854x480, 1.16M)

I'm all of Yea Forums since Yea Forums is just one person and that's me, and i admit you got me in this logical fallacy in which i personally said two different things in two separate occasions.
Good job

Once again, budget isnt a huge contributing factor. Time and management are far more important than
Budget. Hiring a bunch of talent, wont mean much if they dont have proper prep time.

>but really the audience isn't very found of it

Baseless assumption

>With 2d animation budget only gets so far

OPM literally had an average budget.

>because there aren't that many good animators

What kind of nonsense is this?? Theres literally ipad/Wacom warriors in Japan.

It's a meme
youtube.com/watch?v=R6be4pLP0ug
youtube.com/watch?v=_THLrGbLUAw
It's cheaper and faster to produce shitty 3D than shitty 2D, though.

The biggest problem I've got with 3DCGI television anime is that it doesn't look good when it's trying to mimic the flat look of more typical anime while also lowering the framerate to sometimes unwatchable levels.

It does when they want it too look like anime so they lower the framerate making it choppy

This is hand drawn frame.

Only if it's made by Polygon studios and whoever does the Baki and Kengan CGI
And usually The problem is mostly Japan is just a very poor country that overworks it's citizens so you have TV anime budget going to a small group of people who work 16 hours a day.

Is this that new Gorillaz anime?

>Baseless assumption
Well yes I am not taking this from any research but I browse futaba and 5ch from time to time and people don`t seem to like cg there either, with a few exceptions. There's no hate for it like we see on Yea Forums though, I've never seem anyone complaining about Houseki no Kuni for example, and when Kemono Friends was airing it was common seeing posts about it being proof that 3DCG anime can be accepted too, there were people complaining as well but at the height of the boom criticizing KF was a guaranteed way to receive multiple angry replies lol. Honestly I don't know how anyone here can think that 3DCG being unpopular is an outlandish claim.
>OPM literally had an average budget.
English isn't my first language but I'm pretty sure the part of my post that you quoted clearly says that for 2d animation budget only gets so far aka it doesn't matter that much unless the anime is severely underbudgeted, I never said good 2d animation required a high budget.
>ipad/Wacom warriors in Japan.
shortage of animators isn't news and industry people mention it in interviews all the time. Some english articles I found, there are translated quotes of Japanese directors too:
nippon.com/en/currents/d00337/japan’s-animation-industry-failing-to-cultivate-next-generation-of-talent.html
scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3014682/japans-anime-industry-crisis-even-global-popularity-soars
French guy that made Code Lyoko and works as animator in Japan twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/725672231494279168
While it's true that Japan doesn't lack talented artists, the anime industry is famous for its extreme overworking and shitty pay even in Japan which is already a country known for having long work hours, do you think those artists drawing on twitter and pixiv receiving commissions would trade that kind of life for drawing 14h/day in some anime studio? It isn't a job many people would desire.

Honestly this seems much more similar to what IMAGI was doing over a decade ago with stuff like their TMNT movie, Astro Boy, and their cancelled Tetsujin movie than to anything Pixar is doing.

Clearly hasn't seen Jimmy Neutron since it aired. It's so shit it's unwatchable.

Even when it was new I thought it was absolutely hideous, but I kept watching it anyway. What the fuck was wrong with me?

Well, at least there's no risk of Lupin catching on with teenage girls.

I want to finally get into Lupin, is there a chart or something about all the different series and TV specials there are? I remember hearing that they vary in quality a lot.

Attached: hmm4.png (448x507, 290K)

It really doesn't look like pixar, it looks like a high-budget European movie.

The variation is in tone/characteruzations, so you have people shitting on some outliers because of whatever they think lupin should be like.
Start from season 1 or the mamo film.
If you're a fag who can't handle old anime season 4/5.

>Start from season 1 or the mamo film.
Is that the pilot movie?

Now, but you can start from the pilot if you want. I personally would watch it, later so you can see how the initial concept was a bit different.

I wonder if this will air on Western movie theaters

>Lupin
Is garbage
>CG
Is shit with few exeptions
Kill yourself.

I thought about making one, but I kinda gave up when I realized I'd never finish it, there'd be tons of arguing, and I might have to rewatch some of the shitty 2000s specials.

Anyway, start with the first TV series. It's short, more consistently good despite the original director getting replaced.

Nah, it's the first feature film done after the release of the second anime. The pilot film was done in 1969 as a proof of concept for potential financial backers. There's two versions of it, the CinemaScope and TV versions.

They're both worth a watch, if only to see how the casting of the subsequent TV series could have ended up very different.

>Jimmy neutron. A series that didnt remotely had a high budget at all, but holds up due to talent
It absolutely fucking doesn't

Thanks, I'll start with the first series and watch the pilot later.