Patlabor

Is the show worth watching, even if I didn't like/care for the movies?

Attached: patlabor.jpg (1221x855, 582K)

Yes.

Attached: 1518906310007.jpg (471x5292, 907K)

God I wish there were more characters like Gotou.

The movies barely resemble the TV series and OVAs. The tone is much more serious, with lighthearted comedy and slice of life moments heavily toned down or completely absent.
I prefer the TV series. It has a unique mix of comedy/SoL and mecha action, while the movies are much more generic.

The show is much closer to the manga which is about average cops being average. The films are more Oshii than anything else.

That's actually great to know.
The main issue I had with the movies was the fact that the characters were basically non-entities and were just used as mouthpieces for whatever philosophy was interesting Oshii in that instance.
If the series doesn't have this problem I will be sure to check it out whenever I will be in the mood for a comfy mecha show.

>The films are more Oshii than anything else.
Most of Oshii's films are either not written by him, or co-written by him. People really need to learn to recognise Ito's influence. Oshii's Patlabor TV/OVA episodes are wacky and comical.

If you disliked the movies there's a very good chance for your taste to be abysmal, hence you will love the television show, especially the terribad second half of it. Any somewhat intelligent person like the movies and the Early Days OVA, is indifferent towards New Files and hates the second half of the tv show. But I guess that's who the tv show was made for: the retarded people among us.

I'm fine with that. I just wanted to know whether it was the same shit or if there was a chance there would be something enjoyable in it.

Should drop it after the first half, though. The second half is the OVAs/Movies but bad. Like, genuinely bad and poorl constructed with terrible arcs and plotpoints. Suddenly jumps the shark from being episodic to trying to be something more.

I like the TV series for the characters but I like the movies for the cinematic experience.

Literally all of Patlabor is enjoyable and worth watching and/or reading.

WXIII

The TV shows are just a laidback comedy/slice-of-life. If you're familiar with the Police Academy films, think of an anime tv series version of that.

>Suddenly jumps the shark from being episodic to trying to be something more.
Dunno what you're referring to here. The closest thing to a running arc the TV series has was the stuff with Shaft Enterprises and that did not take up the entire second half the show, think it only took about around 5-6 episodes out of the entire series. The rest of the show is episodic.

Damn it didn't age well. 80s artstyle looks like chickenscratches.

Yes. It’s a very fun show.

Attached: B06F6615-3440-43EF-8E9E-8F23A0A7796B.jpg (450x354, 47K)

idk I like it

The only thing WXIII did wrong is be labelled a Patlabor film.

Yes.

then watch Taiho Shichauzo since it's basically Patlabor without the mechs.

going to second user that i have no clue what you're talking about

The same could be said of Movie 2.

It's loosely based off one of the manga chapters
in the original story it followed Asuma & Noa though, not sure why the movie replaced them with that old guy

Shit taste.

No intelligent person likes the movies as they are written for brainlets who need the obvious pointed out to them

>Patlabor
It's visually sterile dogshit like anything Izubuchi works on (as either designer or director)

Movie 1 was great, I watched it with my brother who doesn't really watch anime and I realized when the characters would suddenly drop exposition on character backgrounds and whatnot for people unfamiliar with Patlabor.

How the fuck is Early Days good? Shit writing, shit visuals, shit animation. Literally one of the worst OVAs.

>shit visuals, shit animation
Poor bait. Too obvious.

>wants to watch Patlabor
>not sure if all comments are trolls

so should i watch the ovas, the movies, the first half of the series or what

>Oshii cocksucker is a pseud
Who would have thought?

The entire TV series is an episodic slice-of-life police show, I dunno what that user saying that it turns into something else in the second half is talking about.

>If you care about good animation and decent visual directing
watch Early Days, Movie 1 & 2
>If you consider Early Days too serious in tone and prefer more comedy
watch the first half of the TV show and skip everything else, you can watch the New Files OVA for good measures but there's a bunch of downright recycled episodes in it
>If you like the seriousness of Early Days
watch everything, even WXIII, but don't go into the second half of the TV show with high expectations given how Black Labor and SSS are the handsdown worst parts of the franchise on all fronts bar acoustics (Early Days has the worst sound synching)

There you go.

Oh, and you should probably watch New Files before the movies, or else you'll turn into one of those mentally stunted cretins who claim for Noa's character development in movie 1 and 2 to be "illogical" or "out of character". It's happened so many times, by now I believe for it to bound to happen.

Second half of the tv show is fine, the arc seems to be referring to is a few episodes long and I'm not sure why he's saying to write off the rest of it.

>shitting on the fucking Griffon
Get the fuck out of here you pleb.

Fuck off, the OVAs are great. Especially the character interaction between the SVS2 unit.

Attached: Patlabor OVA 07.mkv_snapshot_14.38_[2018.12.29_15.27.29].jpg (2404x703, 882K)

>Early Days
>serious in tone
Only the fifth and sixth OVA had a serious tone. The rest focused a little more on comedy though.

The cast is great and so are their interactions, absolutely great ensemble.

But Noa was out of character in movie 2.

Movie 2 is worth it just for the mech animation

The series is actually police work + comedy SoL. It's Oshii who baited everyone into thinking Patlabor was supposed to be high brow

It's time to leave.

What a dumb take. There's barely 5 minutes worth of great animation and it's either at the very beginning or end. You might as well just watch the clips on sakugabooru. Watch it cause it's a fascinating commentary on Japan's international politics.

Just watch all of them. Both timelines are very good in their own right.

Would really help your case if you stopped referring to this shit tier webm in every thread you encounter. It projects a negative image on all Patlabor fans, given how this isn't even top 5 most impressive cuts in the film.
Wrong. But you probably refuse to acknowledge the skill required to produce proper FX animation. Whether it's a dynamic depiction or jutapon cubes doesn't matter, eh? All smoke and debris cuts are the same.

First OVA series and the TV series are my favourite although I didn't care about the Griffon arc that much and was kind of surprised it just dropped off. Also I didn't care about the girl who replaced Kanuka. I haven't seen the second OVA yet but I heard it's got Griffon stuff so I'll bear it if I get more dumb mech cops.

you're right but the other guy doesn't care

TV show is mostly slice of life mecha, with few action and drama parts. Movies are much more serious and dark. So dark in some occasions that it's borderline horror, which is huge contrast to the TV show's atmosphere.

It really depends what you want from your mecha show, but for me it's the only one I always look forward to rewatch.

Attached: 190516215741.jpg (1440x1080, 1.37M)

Attached: patlabor.webm (720x540, 2.86M)

Such a fun episode.

>its a patlabor thread on Yea Forums

Attached: ZameQYT.jpg (966x518, 134K)

>if I didn't like/care for the movies?
The TV series is drastically different from the movies, so yes.

Man this series really deserve some kind of remake on a dororo level

Just to update some stuff
no more robots on floppy disk and so on...

Why did they leave such a great series on the freezer?

It's difficult to update Patlabor because of well planned the world is, the Patlabor world is an optimistic view of how the future(for people in the 80s) would look like with technological advances and some cautionary messages of the misuse of those technologies.

It's better to just scrap the old setting and make a new one.

There was that reboot, and "Patlabor EZY" which may or may not ever come out, who the fuck knows.

I can't disagree more. Great OVAs, consistently good TV series that got better the longer it went on, 2 God-tier movies the 2nd of which was the perfect send off for the whole franchise and minipatto. I really can't ask for anything more and don't even want to risk a chance of a reboot or modernization to stain that impeccable pedigree.

Whatever Patlabor deserves is nothing the modern animation industry can produce.

The show is closer in tone to the OVAs than the movies. So check those out, there's only 7 of them, and if it's more to your taste binge the show + new file OVAs.

my favorite episode of the OVAs

The movies are really good on their own, though. The TV show is fun, but I saw the movies first and the first two are beyond amazing.