Cutie Honey Legacy

CHU international Blu-Ray release in just a bit more than two weeks.
Shin CH Blu-Ray a week after that.
Who else is a bit hyped?

Attached: chu11_endcard.png (1920x1080, 2.74M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0GIKlEcy1GM
youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs
rightstufanime.com/New-Cutey-Honey-OVA-Series-Blu-ray
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also, the last third of CHU aired just a year ago:

Sunday, Jun 03: Episode 9, この世界は二人だけ
Sunday, Jun 10: Episode 10, あなたの思いやり、励ましに感謝します
Sunday, Jun 17: Episode 11, あなたはあくまで私のもの
Sunday, Jun 24: Episode 12, あなたは希望を持ち帰る

I'll go over and try to give interpretations of the episode names today. As I've alluded to in an earlier thread, I find kinda interesting how they all sound like confessions spoken from one person to another. One central aspects is who is speaking and to whom (and who is the "object" of what's being said). The other is how the titles relate to the episodes themselves.
Well, more about that later.

Still writing down a few things in advance. Have some music in the meantime:
>youtube.com/watch?v=0GIKlEcy1GM

Okay, episode titles:

Ep.1: あなたの全ては完璧
Anata no subete wa kanpeki
Everything About You Is Perfect

Obviously, this is about Honey, who has been called "perfect" multiple times. But who is speaking?
Options are, of course, all those infatuated with Honey, which includes: Jill, Natsuko, Naoko, Danbei and Junpei. Another option is Dr. Kisaragi, speaking of his daugther and his creation.
"Anata" is a relatively neutral way of addressing someone, so it doesn't tell us much. It doesn't necessarily imply a high level of closeness, nor of social distance between the two parties.
Danbei and Junpei's obsession with Honey doesn't play much of a role in the episode though. Naoko's does in a way, but not in the bigger picture. And Natsuko wouldn't necessarily express herself like that. As for Kisaragi, well, it would make some sense, but he doesn't play any role at all in this episode.
Which leaves the obvious conclusion:

Orator: Jill
Recipient: Honey
Meaning: Setting up Jill's arc and her focus on Honey's perfection - her desire to corrupt (moral) perfection and innocence.
あなた-Count: 1

Attached: title01.png (1920x1080, 1.16M)

Ep.2: あなたに出会えた事の心からの喜び
Anata ni deaeta koto no kokoro kara no yorokobi
The True Joy of Having Met You
(Having met you fills my heart with joy)

Okay. Here we have a bit of a dicrepancy between how I read the Japanese title and the official English one, which is why I suggested an alternative (in parentheses). The literal translation of "心からの喜び" would be "joy from the heart". Which strenghtens the reading of all episode titles as some kind of confession or declaration of love.
Anyway: There are many possible pairings of people in Cutie Honey who meet and feel love (platonic or otherwise) and joy about one another. Mainly: Honey/Natsuko, Honey/Jill, Honey/Tarantula, Natsuko/Jill, Natsuko/Tarantula and Tarantula towards Jill (one-sided). Also, again, Naoko/Honey would work as well. But excluding all that don't get focus in the episode or haven't even happened yet, it only leaves Jill/Honey. And Seiji/Honey ... their first meeting is, after all, shown in this episode.
Still, Honey/Jill makes more sense in my opinion.

Orator: Jill/ Honey
Recipient: Honey / Jill
Meaning: Same narrative as in the episode 1 title, but with more of a focus on the interpersonal relationship between Honey and Jill. If it is Honey who's speaking, it also could allude to her growing trust into Genetto.
あなた-Count: 2

If I had to decide between the two possible orators here, I'd say it sounds more like something Honey would say.

Attached: title02.png (1920x1080, 2.67M)

Ep.3: 私はあなたにふさわしい
Watashi wa anata ni fusawashii
I Am Made For You
(I'm a good fit for you)

Now, that's a crazy title. Sounds more like stalker-ish obsession than love. After all, wouldn't you usually expect someone to say "You're good for me" instead of "I'm good for you"? If you ask me, it sounds extremely egocentric and maniacal. Only one person in the whole franchise that would ever express herself like that.
What's more of a mystery: What the hell did they think using a title like that. Of course, none of us really paid attention to the titles when the series aired, just like people thought The Police's "Every Breath You Take" was a romantic love song.
It's also expressive of a very direct, potentially sexual, desire - at least moreso than of sincere affection.
If we look at the plot of the episode itself, it would also make sense in the (pretend) Jill/Natsuko relationship. But I think it feels way too intense for that one.

Meaning: Establishing Jill as a truly deplorable antagonist?
あなた-Count: 3
>youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs

Attached: title03.png (1920x1080, 3.3M)

Ep.4: 無垢の美しさ
Muku no utsukushi-sa
Pure Beauty
(Innocent beauty, The beauty of innocence)

No "あなた" in the title this time! But still very telling in terms of who says what. "美し" can only ever be read in Jill's sultry voice. And she's also the one rambling on about purity/innocence. Of course, she is talking about Honey. Though, this is the one episode where she's telling Tarantula that she's "Just as pure as Honey". Thus far, this title is the one most in line with what's going on in the episode: Both introduce that notion of purity.

Meaning: Introducing the notion of purity, the very think Jill seeks to corrupt.

Attached: title04.png (1920x1080, 2.37M)

Ep.5: 死ぬまで気持ちは変わりません
Shinu made kimochi wa kawarimasen
Till Death Do Us Part
(This feeling won't change until I die)

I do like that the official translation sounds like a wedding vow here. The Japanese however includes a more detailed description of what it is that lasts until death: A feeling.
A feeling of affection is the abovious guess. But what else could it describe? Desire (if Jill is speaking), hate (which would fit the theme of the episode well), devotion (if Tarantula's speaking).
I do like the interpretation of this one being between Honey and Nat-chan only. But, again, Jill somewhat shines through. I'm really not sure about this one. If someone's reading all of this: Any ideas?

Orator: inconclusive
Recipient: inconclusive
Meaning: inconclusive

Attached: title05.png (1920x1080, 1.95M)

Ep.6: あなたの幸福を祈る
Anata no koufuku o inoru
May Fortune Befall You
(I pray for your happiness)

Now, if anyone thought that there was a pattern: Nope. This title is not something Jill would ever mutter. And it's not something that corresponds to the events of this episode. It's episode 6, in case anyone missed that! In that context, it might even sound a bit ironic.
I find that the English title is quite a bit different from the Japanese one. Because it omits the speaker as someone who actively (!) yearns for the happiness of whoever (s)he's talking about.
It would work well as something Naoko says, considering she protects Nat-chan. It's also something that would work Tarantula, who tries to protect Snake Panther (and all other comrades of hers) and generally has a sentiment like that.
But I do think it applies mostly to Honey trying to protect Natsuko and pretty much everone else. There's also the notion of praying for the deceased.

Orator: Honey
Recipient: Natsuko and all schoolmates
Meaning: I'd say the title expresses genuine affection - arguably the first of the titles to do so - and a sense of community and altruism. It's something Honey (and Tarantula and Naoko) fight for.
あなた-Count: 5

Attached: title06.png (1920x1080, 2.11M)

Ep.7: あなただけに尽くします
Anata dake ni tsukushimasu
Devotion to You Alone
(I'm solely devoted to you)

This episode title makes so much sense! If only it didn't make even more sense for the very next episode.
The thing is: We know that Natsuko is deeply devoted to Honey, and that Tarantula is even more devoted to Jill. And this episode shows both of that. With more weight on the Natsuko/Honey relationship, of course (for episode 8, it would be the other way around). Then again, in episode 8, Tarantula overcomes her devotion to Jill and Natsuko starts doubting Honey (momentarily). So, in a way, this episode is the last one where we see this kind of absolute devotion (somewhat completely) intact.
Minor notice: We also will see a sincere devotion from Dragon to Tarantula, but in this episode, that's only lightly alluded to.

Orator: Natsuko/Tarantula
Recipient: Honey/Jill
Meaning: We could say that it sets up the parallel between Tarantula and Nat-chan that plays much more of role from episode 8 onwards.
あなた-Count: 6

Attached: title07.png (1920x1080, 1.59M)

user...

Yes?

(forgot the pic ...)

Ep.8: 愛の誓い
Ai no chikai
Vows of Love

This title stands out. Well ... an outstanding title for an outstanding episode.
It's not a full expression by anyone, let alone a line of dialogue, but sounds far more like a traditional title.
The episode does, of course, show us a "vow of love" between Honey and Natsuko, as symbolized by the ring Honey creates. It also has Tarantula acting out of genuine compassion towards Nat-chan and Honey. It also contrasts this with how compassion-less Jill and Octo Panther are.
Kinda interesting that the official English title makes that connection by making it a plural ("vows"), which the Japanese title allows but doesn't enforce.

Orator: -
Recipient: -
Meaning: Continuing the Tarantula/Natsuko parallels. I love that it makes love even more of a theme in Tarantula's character episode.

Attached: title08.png (1920x1080, 1.61M)

Thanks for the heads up CH user. Looking forward to those Shin BDs.

>Looking forward to those Shin BDs.
I'm sure they're gonna be great. And really affordable, compared to what you have to pay for the Japanese ones. Especially if you preorder for a 33% discount!

>rightstufanime.com/New-Cutey-Honey-OVA-Series-Blu-ray

(Pretty much the same is true for the Universe BD; you can preorder the "Premium Box Set" for nearly the same amount of money the regular edition will cost later on. Though I get that one will decrease in cost over time.)

Ep.9: この世界は二人だけ
Kono sekai wa futari dake
The Whole World is Just You and Me
(Only the two of us in this world)

Well, episode 9 is a pivotal episode, if not THE pivotal episode. And, just like the series as a whole, it's all about dualities. I therefore don't think that the title alludes to the Honey/Nat-chan relationship (other than in a very basic-level superficial sense). Nat-chan does seem to be the catalyst for all conflicts though.
The conflicts we do see in the episode are: Jill/Honey in their direct battle and in their cat-and-mouse game beforehand. Showing of their opposing views and values. Jill/Tarantula in the their opposing morals. And Tarantula's internal conflict (Black/White).

Orator: Jill/Tarantula
Recipient: Honey/Tarantula
Meaning: Displaying the dualisms the series is all about and building on the parallels already established.

Attached: title09.png (1920x1080, 1.91M)

I'm curious if the Shin Blu-Ray looks better than the one I have. Otherwise, I thought Universe was meh.

>I'm curious if the Shin Blu-Ray looks better than the one I have.
I'm pretty sure they'll use the same masters as the Japanese Blu-Ray (that's already been ripped). Which, to my knowledge, is the only one out there and thus probably the one you have. I'd expect them to look pretty much the same.

Ep.10: あなたの思いやり、励ましに感謝します
Anata no omoiyari, hagemashi ni kansha shimasu
Thank You for Your Compassion and Encouragement

This is another of those titles that fits its episode really well. Just think of the rooftop scene!

Orator: Honey
Recipient: Tarantula/Natsuko
Meaning: Strengthening the themes of compassion (Black Tarantula), trust and cooperation ... and, again, building on the parallels already established.
あなた-Count: 7

Attached: title10.png (1920x1080, 3.17M)

Ep.11: あなたはあくまで私のもの
Anata wa akumade watashi no mono
You Will Be Mine to the Bitter End

Okay. This is Jill talking again. Unmistakenly. To whom? Well, Honey, most likely. Off-chance for Natsuko (whose soul she seems to be holding hostage) and White Tarantula. But, yeah, mostly Honey.
It does have a strange and very depressing air of finality to it. But that does fit Jill's character. Compared to the last few episode titles, this one doesn't seem too related to the episode itself, other than it being the penultimate one. Or maybe I'm just missing something.

Meaning: Hammering home how mental Jill is, I guess!?
あなた-Count: 8

Attached: title11.png (1920x1080, 3.16M)

Ah. Oh well, I'll with what I got I guess.

It's not bad quality though. So I don't think that even if they had a different master, it'd be any better.
Anyway, whether it happens to be the same or different (for some obscure reason), the new release isn't too costly.

Ep.12:
あなたは希望を持ち帰る
Anata wa kibou o mochikaeru
You Will Return with Hope
(You will bring back hope)

The final episode is all about giving hope to Honey, and Honey giving everyone hope in return.
The title reads very much like an assurance of Honey being able to bring back hope, defeat Jill, end Panther Claw, and so on. And practically all the characters joining in. In the end maybe even Honey returning hope to Jill herself.

Orator: Everyone
Meaning: Obvious
あなた-Count: 9

And, well, that's that. That three fourths of all episodes have "あなた" in their title is strange, as is that eleven of the twelve sound like lines of dialogue, That at least half of them sound decidedly as if they were Jill's words, some don't directly relate to the episode itself and so on.
They are very much about the themes of the series though. And they do, in a way, tell their own story.
Well, if anyone is here and reading this, I'd be very interested in hearing other opinions!

Attached: title12.png (1920x1080, 688K)

Well, time to post art!
Newest delivery from the drawthreads.

Attached: 06102019B.png (4935x2741, 3.62M)

Attached: spider_by_wow-girly.png (2000x2000, 214K)

Attached: B536438B_by_plaidsleep_autocoloured.jpg (1024x1674, 243K)

Attached: spuder.png (3000x2576, 569K)

Attached: 1528431000079_by_jtSketch.png (1251x1441, 690K)

How many more times will Japan remake the same shit over and over?

>How many more times will Japan remake the same shit over and over?
Have you seen more than one Cutie Honey anime, user? Because they're wildly different from one another. To the point where some people consider themselves massive fans of one and hate everything else in the franchise.
If a franchise has that much potential for variety, why wouldn't you make new iterations?

Attached: 1542177141842585062910.jpg (2592x4608, 3.49M)

Attached: tara_by_drawfriendo.png (1238x1544, 296K)

Universe was fucking trash
go back to /m/

>go back to /m/
That's where you're usually trolling. At least leave these threads alone, retard.

>That's where you're usually trolling
LMAO it really is this newfag

LITERALLY RENT FREE
Universe was fucking shit

Just fuck off to where you came from.

I haven’t seen any of the anime yet but I like listening to different incarnations of the theme song.

Attached: FAE75D1C-3CDB-498E-BF0B-E08C992E6444.jpg (640x480, 68K)

You too, Universe SHIT EATER

>I haven’t seen any of the anime yet but I like listening to different incarnations of the theme song.
Well, the theme song is a classic!
If you need help picking an anime to start with (based on your preferences), just ask. Or start with the manga; it's a quick read.

Can’t hurt by starting with the first one?

Attached: 19B3C7E3-5443-4C83-9EF2-E01C406A2944.jpg (560x663, 81K)

Universe is so shit that it doesn't even feature the song

>Can’t hurt by starting with the first one?
No. Not if you have some experience with anime series from the 70s. Because the 1973 anime is outstandingly 70s. If you like that kind of style or at least can tolerate it, it's a great place to start with the franchise.

(Also, ignore that troll. He singlehandedly derails threads on /m/ as well. At least here on Yea Forums the mods clean up faster.)

Attached: genderswapped2 tarantula panther [paintschainer-algoritm].jpg (512x548, 108K)

Attached: Final_Anime_by_Wachi-chan.png (2700x2000, 3.95M)

Attached: 030419.png (893x1176, 160K)

We've lived to see copyright fuckery evolve to the point where a franchise can get fucked out of it's own iconic theme song.

Well, at least they got to produce it with the artist they wanted to produce it with.
Someone just has to cut Luz' version of Onegai to one and a half minutes and overlay it to the intro (already works pretty well with the original series' Onegai), and we'll have Universe's Opening sequence as intended by its creators.
(Fuck TOEI!)

>CHU international Blu-Ray release in just a bit more than two weeks
Oh hey that thing we've been talking about for months is finally happening. Cool. Bring on the nipples.

Yeah, the real highlight is all the extras tha come with the limited released though.

Attached: 1544685256836_by_JakeSev.jpg (1515x1500, 579K)

Attached: Awaken My Assters.png (1200x900, 1.38M)

how do you fuck Cutie Honey if she's an android?

She's anatomically correct. Her father made sure that she appears to be a human in every way possible. To the point where she herself didn't initially know that she's an android.

On to some pixiv stuff.

Attached: 12838876_p0.jpg (889x667, 690K)

Attached: 69234465_p0.jpg (308x397, 80K)

Attached: 54097432_p0.jpg (700x1500, 239K)

Attached: 74175375_p0.png (1200x1357, 441K)

Attached: 73292116_p4.jpg (538x663, 232K)

Attached: 68556611_p0.jpg (500x770, 437K)

Attached: 69975419_p0.jpg (905x1280, 209K)

Attached: 68547190_p0.png (1027x1087, 632K)

Attached: 45677099_p0.jpg (768x1024, 199K)

Last bump from me for today. Unless anyone wants to talk: See you next time.
Maybe I'll make a short thread for the BR release - even though we won't know more about them until they're actually released and sent out.

Attached: caf2toto-img416x594-1528980273d2jddw10982.jpg (416x594, 103K)

a bit

Well, let it build up slowly, user! Still two weeks to go.

Too long

Sorry, can't help it. You'll have to wait ... or complain to Sentai filmworks.

(In fact, I'm fully expecting to wait even longer: It won't ship until the 30th, when Shin is also released. And it'll have to cross an ocean to get to me. But then, after that, it's time for a third full rewatch within just a bit more than one year.)

whos the artist of this endcard

>whos the artist of this endcard
Apparently, it's Noizi Itou.
Found that information online, so I don't know how reliable it is. But there is an aritist that goes by that name. And she's actually kinda cute (pic related). Wonder how "noizi" she can get.

Attached: いとうのいぢ .jpg (680x800, 188K)